ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,028

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#201 » by twix2500 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Man I am trying to get interested in Jalen Smith. Something about him just dont sit right. He is so small. Okpala is bigger than him and more versatile.

I am more incline to go for a true big. I have to look more into Smith. Can he become a smaller Larry Sanders or a version of Robert Horry?
twix2500
RealGM

Post#202 » by twix2500 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:36 pm

Payton Pritchard
6-2 Point Guard
20.5 pts, 4.3 rbs, 5.5 ast, 46.8 FG%, 82.1 FT%, 56.3 eFG%

Whats the knock on this kid? He looks really good and his stats back it up. He must be a bad defender or something?
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#203 » by HeatIn5 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 pm

Gotta think we try to get a backup PG or C
Read on Twitter
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#204 » by youngWizzy » Sun May 24, 2020 9:57 pm

Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

I also added age as a method for comparing players for per40 and advanced stats which a lot of you requested! You can also choose to add manual measurements on the site as well as pick and choose which measurements you would like to compare physical measurements for players. Also similarity scores for comparisons are on the site as well!

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
twix2500
RealGM

Post#205 » by twix2500 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 2:59 am

How do you all feel about Patrick Williams?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,570

Post#206 » by greg4012 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 3:29 pm

I've been starting to dig into this draft lately. Very uninspiring overall. Of course, part of that is the result of a shortened season and no March Madness. But, this would be a terrible draft to be banking on getting a gamechanger with a top 5/10 pick.

It seems like there's a pool of 20 or so prospects that can all be lottery picks. But most of them measure up as backend lottery picks in comparison to the talent in some other drafts.

For instance, looking at the wing prospects has me thinking I'd draft KZ Okpala over a large amount of the guys projected to go in the lottery/first round.

I'm wondering if we should target upside with our pick or if we should target a prospect with a well-defined role player skillset. I'm leaning towards the latter.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,011

Post#207 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 8, 2020 4:08 pm

greg4012 wrote:I've been starting to dig into this draft lately. Very uninspiring overall. Of course, part of that is the result of a shortened season and no March Madness. But, this would be a terrible draft to be banking on getting a gamechanger with a top 5/10 pick.

It seems like there's a pool of 20 or so prospects that can all be lottery picks. But most of them measure up as backend lottery picks in comparison to the talent in some other drafts.

For instance, looking at the wing prospects has me thinking I'd draft KZ Okpala over a large amount of the guys projected to go in the lottery/first round.

I'm wondering if we should target upside with our pick or if we should target a prospect with a well-defined role player skillset. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Should be a pretty easy draft to move around a few picks to get the player we want as well.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#208 » by greg4012 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 4:14 pm

Also, the lack of tournament play and other elements that provide more info that heavily influences common scouting can be advantageous for a Heat scouting department that has gained a reputation for identifying undervalued gems to draft. Makes it more likely that someone the Heat truly value will slip.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#209 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 8, 2020 4:35 pm

greg4012 wrote:Also, the lack of tournament play and other elements that provide more info that heavily influences common scouting can be advantageous for a Heat scouting department that has gained a reputation for identifying undervalued gems to draft. Makes it more likely that someone the Heat truly value will slip.

Definitely has a lot of potential to score big outside of the lottery due to a number of factors.

Just give me the smartest, longest, multidimensional dude who has a chip on his shoulder.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#210 » by twix2500 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:54 pm

greg4012 wrote:I've been starting to dig into this draft lately. Very uninspiring overall. Of course, part of that is the result of a shortened season and no March Madness. But, this would be a terrible draft to be banking on getting a gamechanger with a top 5/10 pick.

It appear with we draft an older player who can contribute immediately or draft a project to stash away. Unless we are looking to trade the pick in the near future

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#211 » by HeatIn5 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:57 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
greg4012 wrote:Also, the lack of tournament play and other elements that provide more info that heavily influences common scouting can be advantageous for a Heat scouting department that has gained a reputation for identifying undervalued gems to draft. Makes it more likely that someone the Heat truly value will slip.

Definitely has a lot of potential to score big outside of the lottery due to a number of factors.

Just give me the smartest, longest, multidimensional dude who has a chip on his shoulder.

Looking at our roster, potentially losing Crowder, AI, and Derrick Jones (depending how high someone offers) I definitely agree with the bolded.

The only way this changes, IMO, is if they think they have a chance to draft a future starting PG (to take over when Nunn gets expensive)

Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:40 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Looking at our roster, potentially losing Crowder, AI, and Derrick Jones (depending how high someone offers) I definitely agree with the bolded.

The only way this changes, IMO, is if they think they have a chance to draft a future starting PG (to take over when Nunn gets expensive)

Losing Crowder and DJJ will sting, but it feels inevitable.

We need another big who can shoot as needed and help Bam with paint D. Other than that, we could really pick any position based on potential player movement.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,300

Post#213 » by Wiltside » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:50 pm

Yeah, I think I'd be starting to lean towards wing help too. It seems likely we will lose one or if not both of DJJ/Jae, so need someone who can play the 3/4, defend and hit the 3.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#214 » by Jstock12 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:57 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:Lets assume that the 18 players listed below are off the board.

1.Precious Achiuwa
2.Cole Anthony
3.Deni Avdija
4.Lamelo Ball
5.Saddiq Bey
6.Anthony Edwards
7.Josh Green
8.Tyrese Haliburton
9.RJ Hampton
10.Killian Hayes
11.Tyrese Maxey
12.Jaden McDaniels
13.Aaron Nesmith
14.Onyeka Okongwu
15.Isaac Okoro
16.James Wiseman
17.Obi Toppin
18.Devin Vassell

My top 5 picks for the Heat are...

1.Aleksej Pokusevski
2.Kira Lewis Jr.
3.Jalen Smith
4.Isaiah Joe
5.Tyler Bey

I'm down with 1 and 3. Both are very interesting players. I feel like Aleksej could turn into a real baller down the road. His ceiling feels pretty high.

I know zero about 2, 3 and 5. Not on my radar.

Haven't watched a lot of video on Pokusevski, but from what I've seen he reminds me of Dragan Bender. A tall guy who can pass the ball pretty well, and can hit outside shots. Not much athleticism or explosiveness though.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#215 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Wiltside wrote:Yeah, I think I'd be starting to lean towards wing help too. It seems likely we will lose one or if not both of DJJ/Jae, so need someone who can play the 3/4, defend and hit the 3.

Enter KZ Okpala
Mike1989
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#216 » by Mike1989 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:26 pm

Kyle Boone on CBS has us taking Tre Jones, PG from Duke. This kid has improved his shooting from his first year to his second year, can contribute to running the offense, and can be a good addition at the defensive end. First or second unit PG. Nico Mannion goes near the end of the first round if we wanted to take a risk on him. There are some bigs like Jaden McDaniels, Vernon Carey and Paul Reed that go after we've picked.

Rob Dauster on NBC has us taking Xavier Tillman, F from Michigan State. I'm not sure about this pick. If we are looking at adding a bench talent then it could work, though I'm not convinced he is the best player available in this mock draft. Personally I would take Kira Lewis who comes off the board next. There is more upside in taking Lewis if he can reduce those turnovers.

Jonathan Wasserman on Bleacher Report actually has us taking Kira Lewis, PG, Alabama. Other notable picks after us are Jahmi'us Ramsey, who is a combo guard hitting 42.6 from three; Nico Mannion; Jaden McDaniels; and Tre Jones.

---

We will have options to add a good role player to the team. There are some capable shooters likely to be available for us when we are on the clock and you can never have enough cheap contracted shooters. There are some players with upside if we want to chase that, and some players that should be able to fit in and play a role. For me, I do like Kira Lewis at that point in the draft if he's available, or perhaps Tre Jones. Outside of that I would be tempted to consider the best prospect available in whatever role that might find on this team (eg. backup big, best shooter etc).
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by DayofMourning » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:31 am

Give me this dude.

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by DayofMourning » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:40 am

I also like the start of this video. Show's some real paint prowess. He's aggressive on both ends. Plays with a ton of energy and emotion. Finishes plays through contact all the time. Love it.

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,300

Post#219 » by Wiltside » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:27 am

greg4012 wrote:
Wiltside wrote:Yeah, I think I'd be starting to lean towards wing help too. It seems likely we will lose one or if not both of DJJ/Jae, so need someone who can play the 3/4, defend and hit the 3.

Enter KZ Okpala

You're not wrong Greg - honestly, I often forget he's even on the team. Which is a shame given his talent and potential.

Hopefully we get to see a bit more of him in the G-League? Are they also returning to work post-lockdown? Haven't really heard much on that tbh.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#220 » by greg4012 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Wiltside wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

Enter KZ Okpala

You're not wrong Greg - honestly, I often forget he's even on the team. Which is a shame given his talent and potential.

Hopefully we get to see a bit more of him in the G-League? Are they also returning to work post-lockdown? Haven't really heard much on that tbh.

Definitely want to hear more about his progress. He's got a bunch of raw tools to work with and the Heat have an impressive development team. I'm really hoping he can prove to be ready to replace DJJ role for next season. TBD

Return to Miami Heat