Could these be the FO's actual targets?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Could these be the FO's actual targets? 

Post#1 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:29 pm

NBA rumors: Warriors higher on six NBA draft prospects than most teams
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-warriors-higher-six-nba-draft-prospects-most-teams?fbclid=IwAR2wdETU8C78PyY3Qv6bN-oeuKhPq11KS-VDP-m4CPQBDhyEjroBppiOiQc

SF Saddiq Bey, Villanova
SG/SF Devin Vassell, Florida State
SF/PF Patrick Williams, Florida State
PF Jalen Smith, Maryland
PF Mamadi Diakite, Virginia
PF Borisa Simanic, Serbia

It's possible. This year is not like any other considering we didn't get to see anybody play in a postseason tournament. A deep tourney run always causes a handful of prospects to skyrocket on draft boards. When you consider that Villanova, Florida State and Maryland were all likely 3 seeds in the tourney, any of the first 4 guys on this list could have had huge tournaments. At this point, my best guess is that we trade down later into the lottery and draft one of the first 4 guys on this list.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Re: Could these be the FO's actual targets? 

Post#2 » by Little Digger » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:51 pm

The bigger the pile of bullsh*t , the more the need for “league sources” > “a league source”

What confuses the heck out of me , is why does Connor always go with league sources > association sources?
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#3 » by Little Digger » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:59 pm

When a beat writer claims to have “league sources” he’s implying that it’s not local “team sources”..So there’s all these dudes roaming the country with knowlege of exactly who the warriors like and dislike in the draft.

What a messed up organization the GSW’s are.
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#4 » by azwfan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:29 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:NBA rumors: Warriors higher on six NBA draft prospects than most teams
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-warriors-higher-six-nba-draft-prospects-most-teams?fbclid=IwAR2wdETU8C78PyY3Qv6bN-oeuKhPq11KS-VDP-m4CPQBDhyEjroBppiOiQc

SF Saddiq Bey, Villanova
PF Jalen Smith, Maryland

It's possible. This year is not like any other considering we didn't get to see anybody play in a postseason tournament. A deep tourney run always causes a handful of prospects to skyrocket on draft boards. When you consider that Villanova, Florida State and Maryland were all likely 3 seeds in the tourney, any of the first 4 guys on this list could have had huge tournaments. At this point, my best guess is that we trade down later into the lottery and draft one of the first 4 guys on this list.

Im sure your heart skipped a beat when you saw Patrick Williams!
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#5 » by The Maestro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:03 am

azwfan wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:NBA rumors: Warriors higher on six NBA draft prospects than most teams

SF Saddiq Bey, Villanova
PF Jalen Smith, Maryland

Just watch some video on him and he looks tough. I would love to get him.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#6 » by azwfan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:25 am

The Maestro wrote:
azwfan wrote:

SF Saddiq Bey, Villanova
PF Jalen Smith, Maryland

I like him also, just not sure I’m sold at our current draft range. If we can trade down and get him, I’d love it.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by The Maestro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:40 am

azwfan wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
azwfan wrote:Im sure your heart skipped a beat when you saw Patrick Williams!

I like him also, just not sure I’m sold at our current draft range. If we can trade down and get him, I’d love it.

I think there’s quite a bit of talent that might even be better than the lottery guys. Trade #1 and our 2nd round picks to Minny and get their top 7 pick/#16/#33. You can get 3 talented guys like Haliburton/Bey/Bane. Or Haliburton/Williams/Stanley. Lots of choices. I know this draft is supposed to suck but I think that’s more because there’s not a sure fire superstar. There’s some pretty damn good players after the first part of the lotto that can be super valuable.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#8 » by azwfan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:48 am

The Maestro wrote:
azwfan wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

I think there’s quite a bit of talent that might even be better than the lottery guys. Trade #1 and our 2nd round picks to Minny and get their top 7 pick/#16/#33. You can get 3 talented guys like Haliburton/Bey/Bane. Or Haliburton/Williams/Stanley. Lots of choices. I know this draft is supposed to suck but I think that’s more because there’s not a sure fire superstar. There’s some pretty damn good players after the first part of the lotto that can be super valuable.

That looks a lot better heading into the 2019/20 season when we know we're not going to have Klay (and now knowing the we lost Curry). But heading into this upcoming season, I'm not sure 3 more youngsters is a great idea. I'm guessing our 2020 2nds will be either sold for cash or signed using 2-way contracts... not signed to contracts.

Lee and Chriss are either going to be rotation or borderline rotation players.
Poole and Smiley are under contract and out of the rotation.
Mulder, Bowman, and Toscano-Anderson have non-guaranteed contracts

So... the late picks need to be perform better than Mulder, Ky, and/or Toscano-Anderson to take their jobs. Not out of the realm of possibility, but no sure thing either. I would lean more towards keeping the picks late and making them 2-way players while signing vet min FA's to push for Mulder, Bowman, and JTA's roster spots.

If we're trading down from 1 - I want either immediate help or future 1st(s). Or in a best case scenario - both. 8-)
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by The Maestro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:58 am

Lee sucks and Poole kinda sucks too. I would take a trio of Haliburton/Bey/Stanley over those guys easily. And Haliburton and Bey are definitely immediate help type players. Both are more talented than Lee and Poole.

We’d still be able to sign vet free agents even with those draft picks.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#10 » by azwfan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:03 am

The Maestro wrote:Lee sucks and Poole kinda sucks too. I would take a trio of Haliburton/Bey/Stanley over those guys easily. And Haliburton and Bey are definitely immediate help type players. Both are more talented than Lee and Poole.

We’d still be able to sign vet free agents even with those draft picks.

Poole hella sucks. But he's on the roster.
Haliburton will be a top draft pick so he is irrelevant.
I'd rather have a vet that we know can play than a youngster that I hope can play. We have enough guys to sit on the bench.
Trade down for a vet.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#11 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:32 am

I find it kind of funny that people talk about trading down, when we have a roughly 50% chance of ending up with the #5 pick, and at that point, it’s unlikely that anybody is really going to want to trade for it with much of an offer - unless either LaMelo or Edwards has slipped.

Let’s tap the brakes on the “trade down” talk until after the lottery, okay?
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#12 » by Flash Falcon X » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:01 pm

I worry about trading down.

2005 NBA Draft.

Portland with the #3 pick, trade down to the #6 pick to draft Martell Webster, when they could have gotten CP3 or Deron Williams at #3.

Trading down always reminds me of that, however it did work recently with Boston trading down to get Jayson Tatum.
#DubNation
azwfan
RealGM

Post#13 » by azwfan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:13 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:I find it kind of funny that people talk about trading down, when we have a roughly 50% chance of ending up with the #5 pick, and at that point, it’s unlikely that anybody is really going to want to trade for it with much of an offer - unless either LaMelo or Edwards has slipped.

By that same notion, we should tap the brakes on any future draft or player acquisition because we dont know what pick we’ll have NOR what the cap /situation will be like nor what teams will be looking to trade and what FA’s may be interested in us. We really shouldnt talk about anything cause there’s too many unknowns! Or we can all entertain ourselves by discussing ideas on any number of scenarios, including trading down, trading up, or trading out.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#14 » by azwfan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:35 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:I worry about trading down.

2005 NBA Draft.

Portland with the #3 pick, trade down to the #6 pick to draft Martell Webster, when they could have gotten CP3 or Deron Williams at #3.

Trading down always reminds me of that, however it did work recently with Boston trading down to get Jayson Tatum.

Here’s where I think trading down makes sense.
Trade down if you are not sold on the talent you would take at your draft position.
Trade down if you are getting more “other value” to make up for the difference in talent between the pick you have and the pick you receive.

Ultimately it comes down to player valuation and development.

Personally, I can get behind a lot of the players projected to go top 5, but not really sold on any of them. Same goes for the next 10 or so guys but with generally less upside. I really want to punt our draft value this year and get a future 1st plus a vet.

Not sure on value but something like our pick to Sac for 11 + belli + sac future 1st. Obviously the value is dependent on our pick position and Sac’s desire to take whoever is available.
Belli would give us immediate vet depth in the front court and another guy who can shoot. The future Sac 1st is basically a trade asset, and 11 a shot in the barrel with the draft.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by The Maestro » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:52 pm

If they love Haliburton and would probably take him at 2 anyway then it’s a no brainer to trade down and get him and an extra asset like a pick if the Knicks want to move up and get Ball.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#16 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:06 pm

azwfan wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:I find it kind of funny that people talk about trading down, when we have a roughly 50% chance of ending up with the #5 pick, and at that point, it’s unlikely that anybody is really going to want to trade for it with much of an offer - unless either LaMelo or Edwards has slipped.

By that same notion, we should tap the brakes on any future draft or player acquisition because we dont know what pick we’ll have NOR what the cap /situation will be like nor what teams will be looking to trade and what FA’s may be interested in us. We really shouldnt talk about anything cause there’s too many unknowns! Or we can all entertain ourselves by discussing ideas on any number of scenarios, including trading down, trading up, or trading out.

Thanks for taking it to the extreme. Much appreciated.

More realistically, it would be great if people would just say things such as "if we get a pick in the top 2 or 3, here's what makes sense" versus "if we end up with the fifth pick, here's what probably makes sense." To me, those are vastly different scenarios.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#17 » by TB » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:13 pm

I don't want to trade down unless its to get a vet for the TPE or Looney. Trading back for multiple rookies or future picks just doesn't intrigue me when we have limited roster spots and need to win now.

To me options are:
1) Just draft in top 5 and get best player (most likely scenario)
2) Use TPE or Looney salary to trade back and pick up a player like Kennard, Oubre, Smart, etc
3) Trade this pick and next years Minny pick for a blockbuster deal (least likely scenario)
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#18 » by OptionZero » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Its very . . . odd to me that the only writers that are giving any indication who GSW likes are Connor Letournou (mainly him) and Wes Goldberg. Both are relatively new to the beat, i don't blame them for tryna get a leg up, i guess.

The established local guys Marcus Thompson, Sherwood Strauss, Anthony Slater, Tim Kawakami (And you know he would LOVE to say something), Danny Leroux have said nothing. They have essentially all said that management is undecided OR that different people have different preferences but no one's decided anything yet. All of this makes sense, as the draft is months away, and there may yet be some form of live workouts to be conducted, depending on how things develop

Radio silence from national guys Sam Vicenie, Brian Windhorst, Marc Stein, Shams, Woj, etc

all GSW should be leaking at this stage is - WE LOVE EVERYBODY. IF YOU WANT SOMEONE, YOU BETTER CALL US
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#19 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:38 pm

OptionZero wrote:Its very . . . odd to me that the only writers that are giving any indication who GSW likes are Connor Letournou (mainly him) and Wes Goldberg. Both are relatively new to the beat, i don't blame them for tryna get a leg up, i guess.

The established local guys Marcus Thompson, Sherwood Strauss, Anthony Slater, Tim Kawakami (And you know he would LOVE to say something), Danny Leroux have said nothing. They have essentially all said that management is undecided OR that different people have different preferences but no one's decided anything yet. All of this makes sense, as the draft is months away, and there may yet be some form of live workouts to be conducted, depending on how things develop

Radio silence from national guys Sam Vicenie, Brian Windhorst, Marc Stein, Shams, Woj, etc

all GSW should be leaking at this stage is - WE LOVE EVERYBODY. IF YOU WANT SOMEONE, YOU BETTER CALL US

I feel like our current management has done a pretty good job of keeping our intentions close to the vest. They seem to appreciate that it is better to keep your mouth shut and keep your options open.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#20 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:00 am

The best solution for the Warriors hasn't changed since the middle of the season. Hope for the #1 pick to have the most valuable pick, if they love someone in those top few players take them and be done, if they don't then look for a trade down or out.

Nothing to tap the brakes on, that is literally the situation.

Return to Golden State Warriors