NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#181 » by Catchall » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:17 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:If you were to ask me which of the following bigs could play effective minutes at the 4, with the options being Isaiah Stewart, Precious Achiuwa, Vernon Carey, Jalen Smith and Reggie Perry, I think the answer would be Perry.

He's 6'9" 250 lbs., 7'+ wingspan, and seems to have enough handle, body control, passing ability and shooting touch that he might be able to play meaningful minutes at the 4. The only question would be his ability to guard switches, but I think he can do that better than Carey and Smith at a minimum.

I'm going through his stats and some of his tape, and he looks like he could be a value-pick version of Al Horford. At a minimum, his SEC stats as a sophomore easily compare with Grant Williams. His NBA Combine athleticism numbers from last year eclipse Williams' as well.

I completely agree that out of that group Perry is the one worth picking. Achiuwa could be a nice energy big, but that's about it - and we don't need that. Carey will be the worst defender in the league, and I have serious questions about the athleticism of Stewart and Smith, and whether Smith's shooting is enough to make him a plus player.

Achiuwa gives me such Jordan Hill vibes.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#182 » by sipclip » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:08 pm

God I hope some of these mock drafts end up being true with Jaden McDaniels slipping to our range. I can't imagine it happens but if it does then he has to be the pick. Also as usual I'm still pushing Nwora. In the second round we need to do everything we possibly can to snag him.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#183 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:27 pm

sipclip wrote:God I hope some of these mock drafts end up being true with Jaden McDaniels slipping to our range. I can't imagine it happens but if it does then he has to be the pick. Also as usual I'm still pushing Nwora. In the second round we need to do everything we possibly can to snag him.

Jazz can let Miami and the Thunder slip by in the standings and draft at #22 or #23. It's going to be close whether McDaniels is available. My gut feeling says he probably isn't, but who knows. I think he's being overly criticized for his freshman season and that he'll be a better player in the NBA playing with more space and in a better system. A lot is riding on whether he can build his body though.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#184 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Lamine Diane is an interesting 2nd-round prospect. He looks like a young Jeff Green.

;t=41s
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#185 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Catchall wrote:
sipclip wrote:God I hope some of these mock drafts end up being true with Jaden McDaniels slipping to our range. I can't imagine it happens but if it does then he has to be the pick. Also as usual I'm still pushing Nwora. In the second round we need to do everything we possibly can to snag him.

Jazz can let Miami and the Thunder slip by in the standings and draft at #22 or #23. It's going to be close whether McDaniels is available. My gut feeling says he probably isn't, but who knows. I think he's being overly criticized for his freshman season and that he'll be a better player in the NBA playing with more space and in a better system. A lot is riding on whether he can build his body though.

Picks are frozen where they are.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#186 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

I don't think they are. The seeds can still change. Memphis could still fall out of the playoffs. Do you have a link?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#187 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

I don't think they are. The seeds can still change. Memphis could still fall out of the playoffs. Do you have a link?

You are right, I misunderstood: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258343/NBA-Freezes-Records-For-All-14-Eventual-Lottery-Teams

We have a decent chance of being a lottery pick without Bogey, although I don't think that will happen (nor do I want it to).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#188 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Also, adding Xavier Tillman to our watch list : )

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#189 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:47 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Also, adding Xavier Tillman to our watch list : )

I could see the Jazz shock people and draft Elijah Hughes in the 20s.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#190 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:49 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

You are right, I misunderstood: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258343/NBA-Freezes-Records-For-All-14-Eventual-Lottery-Teams

We have a decent chance of being a lottery pick without Bogey, although I don't think that will happen (nor do I want it to).

I think the Jazz can go 4-4 or 3-5 over their last 8 games and fall to the 5 seed or even 6 seed. The Jazz are only a game ahead of OKC and Houston. Miami is also just a half game behind the Jazz overall.

Jazz could move up to #22 in the draft order and still have the same playoff draw.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#191 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:08 am

Catchall wrote:

I could see the Jazz shock people and draft Elijah Hughes in the 20s.

Chad Ford said teams he talked to had Hughes in the first round.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#192 » by Catchall » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:06 am

Tillman is a hard-working, blue-collar 4/5. The problem is that in the NBA, as a 4 he's going to be asked to play a fair amount on the perimeter. In that type of role, I prefer Jarrell Brantley's skill set. Brantley can shoot off the dribble, and he can use crosses and hesitations to break the paint. Brantley also has potential as a passer, finding shooters on the wing or cutters on the baseline. I don't think Tillman has all that in his game. I think Reggie Perry from Miss. St. has more face-up skills than Tillman too, since Perry used to play a lot on the wing in the past.

At the same time, Tillman is just undersized to play at the 5. I'm not sure where he'll fit.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#193 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:28 am

I'm just hoping that whoever we draft, that player's way to help the team isn't by scoring or dribbling the ball. Don't need anymore ballhogs or egos.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#194 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:04 am

Catchall wrote:

Tillman is a hard-working, blue-collar 4/5. The problem is that in the NBA, as a 4 he's going to be asked to play a fair amount on the perimeter. In that type of role, I prefer Jarrell Brantley's skill set. Brantley can shoot off the dribble, and he can use crosses and hesitations to break the paint. Brantley also has potential as a passer, finding shooters on the wing or cutters on the baseline. I don't think Tillman has all that in his game. I think Reggie Perry from Miss. St. has more face-up skills than Tillman too, since Perry used to play a lot on the wing in the past.

At the same time, Tillman is just undersized to play at the 5. I'm not sure where he'll fit.

I don't think Tillman is undersized for the 5. He is 6-8, 245...Bam Adebayo is 6-9 255, Okongwu is 6-9 245, Reed is 6-9 245, Draymond is 6-6 230, etc. I think he is going to excel as a big who can pass out of short rolls, and that's exactly the kind of guy we could use as a backup 5. Looks like some kind of weird hybrid between a poor man's Favors and a poor man's Bam...I kinda like that as an archetype? He certainly fits what the center position seems to be becoming. To be clear, I like him if we can somehow acquire another late first or an early second, I think there will be better prospects at 24. But, I do think I like him better than most of the bigman prospects getting discussed in the late 1st and early 2nd.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#195 » by Catchall » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:43 am

Does Corey Kispert remind anyone of Joe Harris? Great shooter off the catch.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#196 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:29 pm

If the Jazz think Paul Reed's jumper isn't broken, I could see them targeting him at #24. He checks all the other boxes -- size, length, toughness, effort level, defensive versatility, intangibles, rebounding, some handle.

If he can shoot, he has significant upside.

I want to see how Jaden McDaniels takes advantage of the extra time before the draft process to work on his body and his game. His interviews and background check will be important, but unless he starts showing how hard he's willing to work, Reed may be a better pick than McDaniels.

I'm guessing the Jazz's short list has: Pokusevski, Green, Reed, Bolmaro, McDaniels and Maledon

I'm willing to bet they'd trade up for Williams and maybe Hampton.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#197 » by KqWIN » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:00 pm

I know he's had injury issues, but why isn't there more Killian Tillie hype? Seems like the player every player is dying to have. 6'10, 44% career 3FG%, ball handling + passing ability, good STOCKS numbers...He has a great looking jumper and has the ability/skill to excel in scrambled situations on both ends of the floor.

Shooting 72% at the rim with just 55% assisted and 50% on non-rim 2's with just 29% of those shots assisted. This is on top of his 44% career 3FG%. He looks like the prospect Trey Lyles was supposed to be.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#198 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:06 pm

KqWIN wrote:I know he's had injury issues, but why isn't there more Killian Tillie hype? Seems like the player every player is dying to have. 6'10, 44% career 3FG%, ball handling + passing ability, good STOCKS numbers...He has a great looking jumper and has the ability/skill to excel in scrambled situations on both ends of the floor.

Shooting 72% at the rim with just 55% assisted and 50% on non-rim 2's with just 29% of those shots assisted. This is on top of his 44% career 3FG%. He looks like the prospect Trey Lyles was supposed to be.

His issues are just injuries and being a bit older. Yeah, I could see him being a Bertans-type shooter with some ability to defend and put the ball down. I'm not sure Saddiq Bey is a much better prospect, tbh.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#199 » by Catchall » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:50 am

Just noticed how well Leandro Bolmaro's stats compare with RJ Hampton's, though it's difficult to directly compare the leagues the two played in.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#200 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:05 am

I like the idea of buying a second round pick to grab Mason Jones.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz