2020 off-season news thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Re: 2020 off-season news thread 

Post#101 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 10, 2020 6:10 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I know what rhetoric is and you acting like I am advocating drafting Jefferson for the same reason Treadwell was advocated is ridiculous. I did mention his unbelievably great contested catch % because it was by far and away the best in all of college football. That is a good thing. He also had the best completion rate by far of all WRs in college football. You have noted how that is good yourself. I also pointed out how he seldom had to make contested catches because he almost always got open. He's also very fast. Not Tyreek Hill fast but faster than 90% of the WRs in the league. Put all that together with his best hands in college football with volume and we got something far better than average. You are just being an ill tempered jerk in this discussion with me.

Yes Seriously regarded by the vast majority as the 4th best Wr in this draft and the vast majority considered this the best WR draft in history.

I don't care if you know or not. I"m suggesting you stop using it to disagree with people. I gave you the descriptions next to examples of your usage of it so you are sure to understand you have been. Now hearing you already know just tells me you aren't someone to expect a decent discussion with.

Best Hands of the draft! Best WR draft Eva! Consensus by everyone! Oh my god.

Any claim of this being the best WR draft ever, right now, is maybe the most laughable claim I have ever heard. Yet you still are trying to defend this statement. But if it does end up proving to be a great WR draft after a few years of proving so won't you feel foolish claiming they had to spend a FRP on a 6-1 WR if there were so many in this draft to choose from?

Claiming I'm being ill tempered sure is righteous from the guy who came out guns blazing saying I'm embarrassing myself and numerous other kind descriptions. This is classic you. Call someone names and disagree in order to get them talking to you.

I wrote you off last summer for doing the same thing. You've stepped in it again already in May so good riddance.

Edit: This is what your stains on the page look like to me now.
Spoiler:
KGdaBom, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.
Display this post.

That's just the top section of this page alone. Enjoy yourself.

Jedzz I give you the benefit of the doubt and reply to you despite your being known as a negative Jerk. Klomp is one of the nicest guys any of us will ever meet and you go off on him. If you keep me on ignore and never see this that is fine with me. I just want to go on record as calling you out. You're not the victim you are the antagonist.
You also made up lies about what I said. Where did I ever say we HAD to use a FRP on a WR regardless of height? I never once said we had to use a FRP on anybody. I gave the bigger alternatives. I never said we shouldn't have taken Mims, Claypool or Pittman. I just pointed out that none of the 32 teams in the NFL determined any of those three worthy of using a FRP on. I don't even know if any of the first round WRs were taller than Jefferson. He may have been the tallest one. You are unbelievably obsessed with the height of our newest WR even though he is taller than most.
The part of your post I bolded I stand behind. Those were all agreed to by a strong majority of the media. When I talked about you embarrassing yourself it was in regard to your claim that Jefferson was a body catcher. That is pretty embarrassing to say when he was known to have the best hands in all of college football or darn close to it.
I just looked up the height's of the first round WRs in the 2020 draft.

Ruggs 5'11" 2.25" shorter than Jefferson
Jeudy 6'1" .25 shorter
Lamb 6'2" .75 taller 191 pounds. 11 lighter than Jefferson.
Reagor 5'11" 2.25 shorter
Aiyuk 6"0" 1.25 shorter

I just found Jefferson's combine height listed at 6'2". I'm pretty sure that was rounding up from his actual 73.25 inches, but maybe they were rounding up on all of them.

So that's another area you IMO are embarrassing yourself in. Claiming that Jefferson is too short when he was the 2nd tallest of all the first round WRs.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,563

Post#102 » by hermes » Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 pm

i'm not reading any of this but watching the back and forth is somewhat entertaining

man we need sports back
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#103 » by Jedzz » Sun May 17, 2020 11:47 pm

hermes wrote:i'm not reading any of this but watching the back and forth is somewhat entertaining

man we need sports back

There is no back and forth.

Agree, we need sports back. The Vikings should have Rick on the home web cam sharing all his wisdom during this time. They need a Mike Tise show type of thing at the least. Not that I'd watch.
hermes
RealGM

Post#104 » by hermes » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:56 pm

so dalvin is holding out, for something in the $13-16m a year range it sounds like

doesn't seem like he has a lot of leverage here. if he doesn't report for minicamp then he will only be a restricted free agent next year (as opposed to unrestricted) and he's only been healthy like half the time he's been in the league. also kubiak's system hasn't had an issue with bringing in new running backs and having success with them. so mattison has to be pleased with this development

i like cook, he's very dynamic and fun to watch but after adrian i don't want to spend big money on a running back. especially now that we're spending significant money on a qb (not to mention other positions that normally aren't high dollar - tight end and safety)
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,957

Post#105 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:53 pm

It sucks, I like him a ton too, but the track record for giving high-dollar contracts to running backs in recent years has been dismal. Bill Barnwell did a rundown not too long ago, and not a single one of them came even close to earning their money. And that's before you get into how fragile Dalvin has been, or the fact that Mattison has shown some solid potential, or the history this system has with unheralded RBs breaking out. So I just don't think we can justify a huge deal.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#106 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:27 pm

I can't blame Dalvin, when you're running back you have to try to get your money when you can, but based on history it doesn't seem like the smart thing for the Vikings to do.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,957

Post#107 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:07 pm

I don't blame anyone for trying to cash in, let alone a pro football player. Get it if you can. As we all seem to recognize, it's just not something we can justify. Which, again, sucks, because when healthy he's one of the best we've ever had at that position.
hermes
RealGM

Post#108 » by hermes » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:48 pm

wonder when they knew about issues with getting an agreement with dalvin

because despite having 50 draft picks (all numbers approximate), we didn't take one running back. i mean we have a full room and you can pick rbs up off the street but if they knew a holdout might be possible during the draft maybe grab another one?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#109 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:16 pm

hermes wrote:wonder when they knew about issues with getting an agreement with dalvin

because despite having 50 draft picks (all numbers approximate), we didn't take one running back. i mean we have a full room and you can pick rbs up off the street but if they knew a holdout might be possible during the draft maybe grab another one?

I don't know that we need more depth at RB, we have Mattison and Boone, and I would expect things to get resolved with Cook eventually.
I guess I wouldn't draft a player just to cover for the possibility that Cook is out for an extended period.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#110 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:10 am

Worm Guts wrote:I can't blame Dalvin, when you're running back you have to try to get your money when you can, but based on history it doesn't seem like the smart thing for the Vikings to do.

There's absolutely nothing Cook can do, unless he's willing to sit out 2 years. If he holds out this year the Vikings hold his rights next year. If he sits out both years I think he can sign with who he wants in 2022, but maybe he can't do that either. The Vikings might hold his rights forever if he doesn't report. Holding out has not worked out well for Bell or Gordon. Now because of the new CBA it would work out far worse for Cook.
hermes
RealGM

Post#111 » by hermes » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:13 pm

derrick henry got $12.5m a year. i suppose if the titans can pull off paying both henry and tannehill than we should be able to pay cook and cousins right? i guess i don't know what the rest of their cap situation is - we might be paying more on defense
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#112 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:48 pm

Zimmer with a 3 year extension.
hermes
RealGM

Post#113 » by hermes » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:35 am

isn't rick on the last year of his deal? wonder if he'll get extended as well
hermes
RealGM

Post#114 » by hermes » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:36 pm

zim said dalvin will report to camp
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#115 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 pm

Michael Pierce has opted out of the season. That seems like a significant blow.
hermes
RealGM

Post#116 » by hermes » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:40 pm

yeah that's not good, he was linval's replacement. might have a hole in the middle now
hermes
RealGM

Post#117 » by hermes » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:52 pm

four rookies put on the covid/reserve list, the big one was justin jefferson (no word on if they tested positive or were exposed to someone else who was)
hermes
RealGM

Post#118 » by hermes » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:42 pm

rick with the extension now too

and barr got put on the covid reserve list
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#119 » by Worm Guts » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:30 pm

I believe Jefferson was taken off the Covid list.
hermes
RealGM

Post#120 » by hermes » Sat Aug 8, 2020 12:40 am

we're less than a month away. feels strange, like i'm not as excited for football as usual. the rug could be pulled out from under us at any time

Return to Minnesota Vikings