ImageImageImageImageImage

Stay with core or get younger?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

If you could get younger and be as good or better....would you break up the core (splash brothers)

yes - as long as dynasty continues, changing the core is fine. Prefer to have younger team.
53%
no - having the core be part of the dynasty is more important than how long the run is.
47%

Total votes: 19

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Re: Stay with core or get younger? 

Post#21 » by azwfan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:34 pm

HiRez wrote:I'd feel better no about no major trade if they can get Wiseman (or trade down slightly for Okongwu or Okoro). Those guys can contribute right away on defense and have at least offensive potential. Still need some vet help though, our bench looks putrid right now, that bench as currently constructed is not going to win a chip.

Still would prefer a Simmons trade (more realistic than Giannis) as that would not only expand our offense and add defense, but would provide high level protection at the PG spot in case of a Steph injury. If they could draft Wiseman and then trade for Simmons using only the MIN 2021 pick, future GS FRP(s), and Wiggins, that would be ideal.

How about... draft Okongwu. Sign Crowder with the TPMLE.

Then maybe we can grab Cody Zeller from CHA with the TPE to sure up our center rotation with an overpaid 7' vet.
Zeller / Okongwu / Chriss
Green / Paschall / Smiley
Wiggins / Crowder / JTA (or other vet min FA)
Klay / Lee / Mulder (or other vet min FA)
Curry / Poole / Bowman (or other vet min FA)

*In my scenario above, Zeller is brought on because the FO doesn't share all of our opinions (lead by LF75) that Bender is the center of the future.
The point is that our depth looks a lot better after adding a legit rotation player with the TPMLE. We're still f'd if Curry goes down, but that will be the case regardless.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#22 » by 510TWSS » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:48 pm

I'd lean towards keeping our core. They've put in the work and have had a mega track record of success. I give them the next few years to see if we can go on another deep playoff run. They've earned that and it's probably a better bet on making the playoffs than rebuilding with a bunch of young players.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#23 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:36 pm

The Maestro wrote:Schlenk was just as big a loss as West

lol what?
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#24 » by watch1958 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:49 pm

I am concerned about the turnover in the front office. They lost an awful lot of NBA experience losing West, Schlenk and Larry Riley. Probably others I'm forgetting about. I'm not glorifying any one of them, but just having a bunch of guys with long resumes helps avoid the echo chamber effect. Who on the staff now can really say "hey, wait a minute...".
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#25 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:20 pm

The only front office guys that scare me right now are, Larry Harris and Kirk Lacob
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#26 » by The Maestro » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Mylie10 wrote:The only front office guys that scare me right now are, Larry Harris and Kirk Lacob

What about the younger Lacob? He’s the reason we traded 2nd round picks to get Smailagic and he sucks ass. Neither Lacob bro should have any decision making power.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by The Maestro » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:15 pm

watch1958 wrote:I am concerned about the turnover in the front office. They lost an awful lot of NBA experience losing West, Schlenk and Larry Riley. Probably others I'm forgetting about. I'm not glorifying any one of them, but just having a bunch of guys with long resumes helps avoid the echo chamber effect. Who on the staff now can really say "hey, wait a minute...".

FO’s are gonna lose people especially if they’re super successful. The problem is that they’ve replaced Schlenk and West with the Lacob bros and they’re awful.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,218

Post#28 » by wco81 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Well this will be the first time they've drafted in the lottery since 2012.

Other than Meyers, did anyone have a lot of authority back then?
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by The Maestro » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 pm

Picking at the end of the first round is always tough but Evans and Poole were horrendous picks. And Smailigic is garbage even for a 2nd rd pick. That’s why I get nervous when I see these articles that say the W’s draft board is most likely different than other teams. They try to outsmart themselves and get cute. Poole probably wasn’t even gonna get drafted and they took him in the first. If they **** up this draft then Lacob better get some real basketball people in that front office. I’ll reserve judgment to see how they do this off-season.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#30 » by HiRez » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:37 pm

The Maestro wrote:Picking at the end of the first round is always tough but Evans and Poole were horrendous picks. And Smailigic is garbage even for a 2nd rd pick. That’s why I get nervous when I see these articles that say the W’s draft board is most likely different than other teams. They try to outsmart themselves and get cute. Poole probably wasn’t even gonna get drafted and they took him in the first. If they **** up this draft then Lacob better get some real basketball people in that front office. I’ll reserve judgment to see how they do this off-season.

Mostly agree with this, especially the part about outsmarting themselves. Evans and Poole were terrible picks. Still unsure about Smailigic (Paschall wasn't a bad pick at all though). I could totally see them passing on Wiseman and taking Avdija or something infuriating like that.

But yeah, this draft is going to be a great test for them. There's no Zion Williamson in this draft so picking at or near the top, there's no easy way out and nowhere to hide, they have to evaluate right or it'll be a disaster. A few of these guys are going to be great players, but none of them are obvious locks, this is where you show if you have the West-like insights or don't.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#31 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:56 pm

The Maestro wrote:FO’s are gonna lose people especially if they’re super successful. The problem is that they’ve replaced Schlenk and West with the Lacob bros and they’re awful.

How do you KNOW they're "awful"? What data are you basing it on?
KidPistol
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#32 » by KidPistol » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 am

Get younger.

I hate to break it to you guys but Steph Curry, Draymond, and Klay aren’t getting any younger. Granted, their play styles should last them a tad bit longer than most players but both Steph and Klay are coming off of big injuries from the current and past season. There’s no guarantee that Steph and Klay stay healthy for the foreseeable future. We should keep our core and contend as long as possible and keep our draft pick to get ourselves a young gunner ready to take the reigns when the big 3 are done. It would be nice if we had a Zion, Luka, Tatum, or someone of that sort waiting for us to unleash when we are done with the big 3. It shortens the rebuild time as well and keeps the train moving. I know a lot of people like Pascall as do I but he isn’t any of those guys I’ve mentioned. Let’s hopefully get the first pick, grab Anthony Edwards or Wiseman (preferably Edwards) and have our future star already set in place.

That’s my 2 cents.
The scariest question in NBA history.

"Can Stephen Curry get better?"
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#33 » by floppymoose » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:33 am

Travis Schlenk traded Doncic for Young. Not sure how that one will be seen long term...

https://www.ajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/hawks-travis-schlenk-just-went-way-out-limb-with-doncic-trade/BZF7sfrqMO0MC7RUiM6DnK/
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#34 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:45 pm

floppymoose wrote:Travis Schlenk traded Doncic for Young. Not sure how that one will be seen long term...

https://www.ajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/hawks-travis-schlenk-just-went-way-out-limb-with-doncic-trade/BZF7sfrqMO0MC7RUiM6DnK/

I know its not the same, but Doncic Young reminds me of us drafting Klay over Kawhi.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#35 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:51 pm

HiRez wrote:
The Maestro wrote:Picking at the end of the first round is always tough but Evans and Poole were horrendous picks. And Smailigic is garbage even for a 2nd rd pick. That’s why I get nervous when I see these articles that say the W’s draft board is most likely different than other teams. They try to outsmart themselves and get cute. Poole probably wasn’t even gonna get drafted and they took him in the first. If they **** up this draft then Lacob better get some real basketball people in that front office. I’ll reserve judgment to see how they do this off-season.

Mostly agree with this, especially the part about outsmarting themselves. Evans and Poole were terrible picks. Still unsure about Smailigic (Paschall wasn't a bad pick at all though). I could totally see them passing on Wiseman and taking Avdija or something infuriating like that.

But yeah, this draft is going to be a great test for them. There's no Zion Williamson in this draft so picking at or near the top, there's no easy way out and nowhere to hide, they have to evaluate right or it'll be a disaster. A few of these guys are going to be great players, but none of them are obvious locks, this is where you show if you have the West-like insights or don't.

The Evans pick was terrible, no disagreement. But Poole I have some faith in. It’s been reported by Anthony Slater that San Antonio was likely to grab Poole if the Warriors didn’t. It’s possible that their interest in Poole was a smokescreen, but why stir up that rumor for Jordan f’ing Poole at the end of the first round?

I do think though that Poole has a chance to be a solid combo guard in the league. He is at the very least, a high level passer. Poole showed an ability to manipulate defenders to hit cutters in the paint or laser a pass cross court to a shooter. He also has good fundamentals out of triple threat position with ball fakes and jab steps that get him easier lanes to the hoop when teams start to respect his jumper. After Russell and Evans were traded and Poole took on the backup point guard role, he averaged 14 points, 3 boards, and 4 assists on 47/33/74 splits in 27 minutes. I think those shooting percentages are feasible over the course of a full season and I wouldn’t be surprised if he shot better from three with better looks with Steph and Klay healthy.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#36 » by Little Digger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Travis Schlenk traded Doncic for Young. Not sure how that one will be seen long term...

I know its not the same, but Doncic Young reminds me of us drafting Klay over Kawhi.
Kawhi would never have been happy here ..I’ll take Klay
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#37 » by HiRez » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 am

Probably not great, however, Trae Young is the real deal and far from a bust. If it's running and gunning they're after, I get it, he's probably the closest thing I've seen to Steph Curry on a basketball floor, a bit less efficient (so far) but an even better passer. Plus you have to wait and see what Atlanta gets from the additional FRP to truly evaluate it.

Having said that, I would take Doncic without question, but I don't think it'll be a landslide one way or the other, they could both very well be future HOFs.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#38 » by shazam_guy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am

Poole played much better after coming back from San Jose. Poole is also a smart player, and because of that, he has a much better chance of improving than some players.

Dray is going to beast next season, whenever the hell that turns out to be. He's another smart dude -- could well coach some day. Even as he loses physical ability in the years ahead, he'll probably find other ways to compensate.

Let 'em play a full year healthy with Wiggins and whoever comes out of this year's draft. After we see that I might listen to arguments about breaking up the core. Not now.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#39 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Here's a bold prediction: Paschall replaces Draymond in the starting lineup at PF sometime in Paschall's 4th season, which means the last two years of Draymond's contract are big overpays.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#40 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:17 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:Here's a bold prediction: Paschall replaces Draymond in the starting lineup at PF sometime in Paschall's 4th season, which means the last two years of Draymond's contract are big overpays.

Seriously doubt that prediction. If Paschall does end up starting by year 4 it would be because he fits with the core and makes sense with them. If he increases his 3 point shooting to a 40% average, then it’d be a no brained to stick him at small forward in the lineup with Draymond. Unless of course we’ve made another significant trade or deal.
Khoee wrote “

Return to Golden State Warriors