ImageImageImageImageImage

Any Smailagic believers?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,182

Re: Any Smailagic believers? 

Post#41 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:47 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Is Smailagic still eligible to play in Santa Cruz?

Sure, why not? He's on a regular NBA contract, he can play there his whole career.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#42 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:01 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Is Smailagic still eligible to play in Santa Cruz?

Sure, why not? He's on a regular NBA contract, he can play there his whole career.

https://gleague.nba.com/how-rosters-are-built/

"NBA teams can assign players with three years of service or less an unlimited number of times, and they’re taking advantage of that rule each season."

I had thought it was two years or less. I was wrong. I don't think Smailagic's first year at Santa Cruz counted as a year of Warriors service because he was not drafted yet.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#43 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:02 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Donyell Marshall was like a poor man's Kevin Durant. Smailagic doesn't have small forward quickness. Smailagic reminds me more of Troy Murphy than Donyell. He also reminds me as more of Dunleavy than Donyell. If Smailagic can become 1/4 Žarko Čabarkapa, 1/4 Troy Murphy, 1/4 Dunleavy, 1/4 Donyell then I would be very happy.

Power forward is the Warriors dearest position. Draymond. Then Paschall who I don't think is good as a small forward. Then Looney and Chriss, our undersized centers that are arguably power forwards. Then Toscano-Anderson and Wiggins that can play power forward.

Is Smailagic still eligible to play in Santa Cruz? His flashes of talent make me not want to give up on him but I am not sure he is ready to play meaningful minutes a stretch shooting big man yet. He might be ready in 2022. He is very young but he did not improve much last year.

Maybe Paschall will be proven enough to have significant trade value by the end of next year and trading Paschall could open up a spot for Smailagic as Draymond's back up.

The Warriors were competitive against some quality teams with Toscano-Anderson at the 4. He's a Barnes style hybrid 3/4 that doesn't have the ballhandling chops to create for himself, but he's an instinctive passer and if he hits open shots, he could eat a few minutes at the 4. Smailagic doesn't have any physical advantages at the 4. If he's going to be more than garbage flotsam, it'll be at the 5 with a respectable three point shot. His defense needs some work, but he has impressive moments on offense; there have been a few nice passes on the move, he has a convincing pump fake that lends itself to driving opportunities, and he had that amazing play where he fooled Dwight Howard with a fake dribble hand off and burned him on the way to the rim.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#44 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:36 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:The Warriors were competitive against some quality teams with Toscano-Anderson at the 4. He's a Barnes style hybrid 3/4 that doesn't have the ballhandling chops to create for himself, but he's an instinctive passer and if he hits open shots, he could eat a few minutes at the 4. Smailagic doesn't have any physical advantages at the 4. If he's going to be more than garbage flotsam, it'll be at the 5 with a respectable three point shot. His defense needs some work, but he has impressive moments on offense; there have been a few nice passes on the move, he has a convincing pump fake that lends itself to driving opportunities, and he had that amazing play where he fooled Dwight Howard with a fake dribble hand off and burned him on the way to the rim.

Smiley doesn't have any physical advantage at the 4 ... he will have a physical advantage over some 4s. He's going to be stronger than some and quicker than some and bigger than some. If he's going to play he needs to find ways to exploit any advantage he has, and that may just be hustle and movement. He absolutely still has learning to do of that there is no question.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#45 » by Old_Blue » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:06 am

X
Don't bump years old threads, even if you had something to say about it.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#46 » by shazam_guy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:39 am

Any particular reason this is being dredged up? I don't think I remember seeing a single person who was in any way upset when Smailagic was released. He was a long shot who didn't work, and nobody complained when he was let go.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 920

Post#47 » by dk1115 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:05 am

I guess he really couldn't play if the Warriors let him go.

Return to Golden State Warriors