ImageImageImageImage

Elephant in the room : NBA resumes

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Elephant in the room : NBA resumes 

Post#1 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:55 pm

I always wanted to start a new topic, I don't know if I ever had but this is a good time as any.

So anyway, in the GB people are talking about the player's stance whether they are for or against and the reasons behind it. I never heard from any Magic player regarding it.

Did anyone of our players voice their opinion on it? Any of us have a betting pool which of our players will sit out the continuation of the season?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Re: Elephant in the room : NBA resumes 

Post#2 » by basketballRob » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:38 pm

I get the feeling that some fans are jealous of Orlando and don't want to see it succeed. That's the only reason i can see for the amount of backlash this is getting with some posters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Post#3 » by SOUL » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:59 pm

basketballRob wrote:I get the feeling that some fans are jealous of Orlando and don't want to see it succeed. That's the only reason i can see for the amount of backlash this is getting with some posters.

Pretty sure the whole Covid (and protest related things) are why there's backlash, not jealousy of a host city where no fans can visit.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#4 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:16 am

That and maybe some just think they wont win a title this season or they are under contract with an embarassing amount.. no need to play anymore.

However, with the recent declaratiom of techncially being paid only 1% of whatbthey are owed due to missing games.. I wonder if they are still so keen in missing the season.

But personally im jealous. Id be willing to stay in a 5star hotel with all the ameneties of disney PLUS playing/wayching games for 2 or 3 months. Did i mention im getting paid as well?
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#5 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:24 am

I totally get both sides of the argument. Listen, I am all for basketball and the fact that we have a team in the playoffs or heading in that direction. Sports have the aura of bringing people together during times of uncertainty. Like the COVID-19 and Social Injustices going on in the nation.

On the flip side, as a Black American, I get where Kyrie is coming from. With Basketball back on and we can tune out the distractions and not push for some changes. Being in an environment, besides all the amenities, they can't go nowhere and enjoy their freedom, but the reason its being done is for safety in the first place. I didn't think nothing of it when Dame said he doesn't want to play about a few weeks ago... now with Kyrie coming out being against the bubble idea, it started to make sense that there are more players who feel this way. The stars can handle this financial crunch if they decide to... but I think of someone like Khem Birch who is still a millionaire... but I'm sure it adds up and they rely on that paycheck, which Austin Rivers was vocal about that. this is LBJ best chance to win a title with the current Lakers team and add to his legacy, so I'm not surprised he didn't show up to the Zoom call.

Whatever happens, happens... but I just hope things don't get brush under the rug with what's all going on in the world.
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
darthmerrick
Starter
And1: 329

Post#6 » by darthmerrick » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:37 am

CPBalla2003 n da 863 wrote:I totally get both sides of the argument. Listen, I am all for basketball and the fact that we have a team in the playoffs or heading in that direction. Sports have the aura of bringing people together during times of uncertainty. Like the COVID-19 and Social Injustices going on in the nation.

On the flip side, as a Black American, I get where Kyrie is coming from. With Basketball back on and we can tune out the distractions and not push for some changes. Being in an environment, besides all the amenities, they can't go nowhere and enjoy their freedom, but the reason its being done is for safety in the first place. I didn't think nothing of it when Dame said he doesn't want to play about a few weeks ago... now with Kyrie coming out being against the bubble idea, it started to make sense that there are more players who feel this way. The stars can handle this financial crunch if they decide to... but I think of someone like Khem Birch who is still a millionaire... but I'm sure it adds up and they rely on that paycheck, which Austin Rivers was vocal about that. this is LBJ best chance to win a title with the current Lakers team and add to his legacy, so I'm not surprised he didn't show up to the Zoom call.

Whatever happens, happens... but I just hope things don't get brush under the rug with what's all going on in the world.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the incentive for non Laker players to go out and play now. 1st the NBA came down and announced you don't have to play, but you won't receive your pay. Which I think is pretty fair, if you want to sit out because of social injustice stance or covid then you should be able to, but if your not taking the risk you shouldn't get paid.

Then the NBA says you have to announce your sitting out by June 24th and oh btw, your salary will be reduced by 1/92th a percent? So if I'm Kyrie or on any team not playing with Lebron who his pushing for ring #4 then I get to sit out and still get 99% of my millions? Adam SIlver is on drugs. :crazy:
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#7 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:49 am

darthmerrick wrote:
CPBalla2003 n da 863 wrote:I totally get both sides of the argument. Listen, I am all for basketball and the fact that we have a team in the playoffs or heading in that direction. Sports have the aura of bringing people together during times of uncertainty. Like the COVID-19 and Social Injustices going on in the nation.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the incentive for non Laker players to go out and play now. 1st the NBA came down and announced you don't have to play, but you won't receive your pay. Which I think is pretty fair, if you want to sit out because of social injustice stance or covid then you should be able to, but if your not taking the risk you shouldn't get paid.

Then the NBA says you have to announce your sitting out by June 24th and oh btw, your salary will be reduced by 1/92th a percent? So if I'm Kyrie or on any team not playing with Lebron who his pushing for ring #4 then I get to sit out and still get 99% of my millions? Adam SIlver is on drugs. :crazy:

Yeah man, its a bizarre situation... But I read on the Athletic that Chris Paul, President of the NBPA help passed the proposal without the input from majority of the players. But some can come back and said, why now Kyrie? I'm sure he has spoke out on injustices, but I can't pinpoint any off the top of my head. Nonetheless, Kyrie and other NBA players who feel the way they do are valid.
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 717

Post#8 » by CZ Eddie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:27 am

I saw where Dwight Howard said he'd skip playing so he could work on changing the world.
Lies. He's such a dweeb, he'll do whatever LeBron tells him.
Keep your politics out of my sports
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#9 » by rcklsscognition » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:34 am

Reports say 100+ players were on that Kyrie call. There is a significant group.

I
Read on Twitter

Interesting idea.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#10 » by Bensational » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:05 am

Yeah, I want basketball back as much as the next person, but with all the recent momentum of movements it's a good time for the players to reposition themselves for negotiation. For a sport that is dominated by black athletes, there isn't enough representation in ownership and senior positions.

That said, Kyrie is the worst ambassador for any of those changes just because he has been so polarising on things before. A lot of people would just see him as a flat-earther who walked away from a championship contending Cavs team just to ruin a Boston team and walk from them.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#11 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:37 am

darthmerrick wrote:

Wait what? Tgat was what I was asking in the GB as well and some explained to.me that it is actually the opposite of what you said. Like you sit out you can only get 1.92% of wgat you normally get. So infact if you are the lakers and you expect to get to the finals and you sit out.. you actually even get LESSER amount.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#12 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:13 am

rcklsscognition wrote:Reports say 100+ players were on that Kyrie call. There is a significant group.

I
Read on Twitter

Interesting idea.
The Grand Flo might be the best resort at Disney. It's right next to Magic Kingdom and they'll have the nightly fireworks show.

The Gran Destino I'm not too familiar with. Years ago the called it Coronado Springs and convention center. I guess they added on to it. It's closer than the other two to Wide World of Sports.

The Yacht Club is a step down from the Grand flo and is an Epcot resort.

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#13 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:01 am

Lol thanka guya for the replies.. but no one ever answered my original question.

Anyone here has news which if our players doesnt wanna go in the bubble to play?
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,609

Post#14 » by ChosenSavior » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:59 pm

RookieStar wrote:Lol thanka guya for the replies.. but no one ever answered my original question.

Anyone here has news which if our players doesnt wanna go in the bubble to play?

I believe it was just Aminu who was on that Zoom call from the Magic that is willing to sit out.
darthmerrick
Starter
And1: 329

Post#15 » by darthmerrick » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:07 pm

RookieStar wrote:
darthmerrick wrote:

Wait what? Tgat was what I was asking in the GB as well and some explained to.me that it is actually the opposite of what you said. Like you sit out you can only get 1.92% of wgat you normally get. So infact if you are the lakers and you expect to get to the finals and you sit out.. you actually even get LESSER amount.

Yeah it's right here from realgm, but I've seen it at other sites as well. They have their pay reduced 1/92.6 per game or .0108 percent of their paychecks. If I'm Kyrie and I make 250,000 a game. i get docked $2700 a game. Assuming the nets make the playoffs as a 7 or 8th seed and get swept in the 1st round then he loses $32.5k and still makes $2.9 million. Although this may be 8 game regular season only salary. I thought I read somewhere that everyone gets the same amount come playoffs which may be alot less money per game for each player.

We know Lebron is going to force his guys to play. Dwight can say what he wants but Bron will have him out there day 1.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258459/Players-Must-Notify-Their-Team-By-June-24th-If-They-Choose-To-Skip-Return-To-Play

The NBA has notified players that anyone who chooses not to play in the resumed 19-20 season must notify his team by June 24th.

Compensation for players who choose to not participate will be reduced by 1/92.6 for each game missed.

There will be eight seeding games before the start of the playoffs.

Players were notified also that "Any player who exercises this right will not be disciplined."

SHAMS CHARANIA/THE ATHLETIC
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#16 » by Xatticus » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:58 pm

ChosenSavior wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Lol thanka guya for the replies.. but no one ever answered my original question.

I believe it was just Aminu who was on that Zoom call from the Magic that is willing to sit out.

Heh. He managed to turn a torn meniscus into a season-ending injury and now this. I'm beginning to think that he just wants to get paid and isn't too concerned with actually playing basketball.

I'd give far more credence to the concerns of these players if this movement wasn't being driven by Kyrie Irving. As it is, it smells a little rancid.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Orange Ave.
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#17 » by Orange Ave. » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:03 pm

There could be a lot of benefit to this for the Magic.

Some top level amenities Central Florida has to offer will be on display, life in the sun by the pool, golf, hopefully fond memories of their significant time here. I can't see this as anything but great for recruiting free agents in the future. Disney is the ultimate recruiter for Central Florida and the best NBA players will be a captive audience for months.
cigamodnalro: "Orange Ave...One of my favorite guys here."

zuppafly: "Orange Ave was not a bandwagoner. He is a long time magic fan."
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#18 » by j-ragg » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:12 pm

Xatticus wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:

Heh. He managed to turn a torn meniscus into a season-ending injury and now this. I'm beginning to think that he just wants to get paid and isn't too concerned with actually playing basketball.

I'd give far more credence to the concerns of these players if this movement wasn't being driven by Kyrie Irving. As it is, it smells a little rancid.

Agree about Aminu. Guy robbed us of 10 million this year, and doesn’t sound eager to get back on the court. At least it’s only two more years.

If the financial ramifications wouldn’t be so damning to the players I’d think maybe they wouldnt restart the season. But there’s just no way they’d give up this CBA for one in the future that’ll likely look worse for them.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#19 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:59 pm

I don't know what to think about it really. On one hand I get the players concern, on the other hand Silver's NBA is the most progressive professional league there is.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#20 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 pm

darthmerrick wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
darthmerrick wrote:

Yeah it's right here from realgm, but I've seen it at other sites as well. They have their pay reduced 1/92.6 per game or .0108 percent of their paychecks. If I'm Kyrie and I make 250,000 a game. i get docked $2700 a game. Assuming the nets make the playoffs as a 7 or 8th seed and get swept in the 1st round then he loses $32.5k and still makes $2.9 million. Although this may be 8 game regular season only salary. I thought I read somewhere that everyone gets the same amount come playoffs which may be alot less money per game for each player.

We know Lebron is going to force his guys to play. Dwight can say what he wants but Bron will have him out there day 1.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258459/Players-Must-Notify-Their-Team-By-June-24th-If-They-Choose-To-Skip-Return-To-Play

The NBA has notified players that anyone who chooses not to play in the resumed 19-20 season must notify his team by June 24th.

Compensation for players who choose to not participate will be reduced by 1/92.6 for each game missed.

There will be eight seeding games before the start of the playoffs.

Players were notified also that "Any player who exercises this right will not be disciplined."

SHAMS CHARANIA/THE ATHLETIC

Ah I guess it is the wording used that is being debated. Some interpreted that word REDUCED BY meaning reduced to its value by 1/92 so like your example, if KI is used to getting 250k a game, if he sits out, he is only eligible to receive 2800 or so.

Return to Orlando Magic