Total votes: 42

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Re: consensus big board -- who is #26? 

Post#21 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 am

Spoiler:
RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:I still don't understand Jalen Smith getting this much love. Can someone please sell me on him and what his role in the NBA is? Would rather have Tillman, Richards, or Oturu. No one has talked about him. Feels like people are just going to tankathon and then voting based on that :lol: :roll:

Full disclosure, I have not cast any votes for him yet, but I do feel like I am one of the more Pro-Jalen guys on here (he's fluctuated from ~20-40 on my BB).

I watch a sickening amount of Big Ten basketball as I am a diehard Badger fan, and I would rank the conference bigs as follows:

1. Xavier Tillman
2. Jalen Smith
3. Kaleb Wesson
4. Luka Garza
5. Daniel Oturu

What makes Jalen #2 for me is his modern NBA toolbox. He is a good rim-protector, can knock down shots from long range both off PnP and off of movement, good rebounder (specifically good offensive rebounder), explosive leaper and lob target. High character, plays hard, unselfish. I actually saw him live this past year, and he was clearly the best player on the floor (which isn't saying much playing against my Badgers). He can be a little stiff moving laterally, but I've also seen him hang when switched onto guards. He can't handle for **** or create for himself, that's not the type of player he is.

Probably would do best in a drop scheme with a skilled PnR handler on offense, but could certainly see Myles Turner/Dewayne Dedmon-ish outcomes for him. Worth a 1st for the right squad, IMO.

Oturu is a low-feel black hole, stay away. Poor man's Kabengele.

I appreciate the insight.

II just can't see Oturu being the worse fit in the NBA. Garza and Wesson are good college players, sure, but Oturu beats them out with decent ability to defend in space (better than Smith IMO) and he can also stretch the floor. Oturu's #s aren't far off from Smith's and he did it as the highest usage player on his team. Maryland's team shared the ball a bit more where as in Minnesota, Oturu and Carr were the #1 and #2 options on their offense. Also, it is important to note that Minnesota had the 72nd hardest schedule in the country. Maryland? 192nd. Big difference there.

I don't foresee Oturu being anything close to a #1 option on offense so I think that mitigates a lot of his weaknesses. And I just think he has the better NBA body and looks better on the perimeter in space. Smith might have been a little better in college, but I think his 3-ball is getting him a lot of hype and is overshadowing his glaring weaknesses.

vs. top 143 competition

oturu

26 gp
38.8% 3-pt shooter on 49 attempts (almost 2 a game)
48-125 on far 2s
71.8% at the rim
60.8% TS
22% DRB rate
11% ORB rate
0.5 A/TO
6.8% BLK
... on 28% USG

smith

25 gp
40% 3-pt shooter on 80 attempts (more than 3 per)
15-51 on far 2s
70.2% at rim (131 attempts)
62.5 TS
25% DRB rate
11% ORB rate
0.5 A/TO
8.2 BLK%
... on 23% USG

---

Also according to ValueAdded, Oturu's adjusted O + D is better than Smith's.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#22 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:37 am

Try telling Oturu he's not a #1 option on a team. :D

If he buys in he could be okay, but dude thinks he's Marcus Morris.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#23 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 am

RiotPunch wrote:Try telling Oturu he's not a #1 option on a team. :D

What makes you say that? I've seen a couple interviews of him and seems like a humble kid who would be willing to do what it takes to contribute.

Also, Smith and Oturu's per 100 rebounding and block numbers are nearly identical.

And as a cherry on top, when you consider that Oturu's Adjusted D rtg is better when he was surrounded by guys who were 6'4 or shorter and a non-factor at the 4, and then you look at Smith's team which has some 6'6, 6'7, 6'5, 6'8 guys playing in the rotation, it makes it all that more convincing.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#24 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:49 am

getrichordie wrote:

What makes you say that? I've seen a couple interviews of him and seems like a humble kid who would be willing to do what it takes to contribute.

Also, Smith and Oturu's per 100 rebounding and block numbers are nearly identical.

I'll try to find some clips, but just my opinion watching more Gophers hoops than my eyes would care to. MIN @ MSU comes to mind off the top of my head.

He definitely seems like a good and humble kid in interviews.
#FreeChuckDiesel
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#25 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 am

RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

I'll try to find some clips, but just my opinion watching more Gophers hoops than my eyes would care to. MIN @ MSU comes to mind off the top of my head.

Keep in mind who he is playing with too. He's surrounded by a bunch of guys 6'4 and under and a terrible 4, LOL. Smith had bigger guys on wings. I'd really urge you to watch his defense on his youtube scouting video.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#26 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:55 am

RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

MSU? MSU makes most guys look bad, LOL! 13th best AdjustedD in the nation!
[twitter] @thunderdustin
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#27 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:12 am

getrichordie wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

That's not really relevant to my issues with him. Mobile right now, I'll elaborate later. He just has tunnel vision, does not even think about moving the ball.
#FreeChuckDiesel
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#28 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 am

RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:I'll try to find some clips, but just my opinion watching more Gophers hoops than my eyes would care to. MIN @ MSU comes to mind off the top of my head.

That's not really relevant to my issues with him. Mobile right now, I'll elaborate later. He just has tunnel vision, does not even think about moving the ball.

Would love to hear that take with Oturu having a higher AST%.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#29 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:26 am

getrichordie wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Would love to hear that take with Oturu having a higher AST%.

That is definitely not meant to be a Smith versus Oturu take, just a specific to Oturu flow of the game take. Neither of them are good passers. Although moving the ball doesn't equal assist % and Oturu is definitely more careless when he decides to try to pass.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#30 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:17 am

Re-watched a bunch on Smith/Oturu tonight, and ended up lowering both and moving up Aaron Henry. :lol:

Their strengths and weaknesses are very similar, loose handle, prone to making bad decisions under pressure, lack of strength, etc. I just buy Jalen more as a finisher, shooter, and smart rotational rim protector. He has a quicker load time, quicker/more compact release (plus off movement shooting). Realizing that even having him at 35 was maybe too high though. Both pretty replaceable with FA vet min types, which is why I generally value bigs lower in general.
#FreeChuckDiesel
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#31 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:18 am

Smith is draftable, Oturu isn't, it's pretty simple

Oturu is very bad, I would probably not even rank him really, he has no NBA future
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#32 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 am

Still definitely would not draft Oturu if it were my team, I agree.
#FreeChuckDiesel
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,598

Post#33 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Just curious, how many picks, until you start considering Jokubaitis (he hasnt withdrawn yet)?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#34 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:35 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Just curious, how many picks, until you start considering Jokubaitis (he hasnt withdrawn yet)?

I have him late 2nd to undrafted.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,598

Post#35 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:44 pm

getrichordie wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Just curious, how many picks, until you start considering Jokubaitis (he hasnt withdrawn yet)?

Thats low considering he is more proven at Euroleague level than Bolmaro or Pokusevski, but I get it, his ceiling is not very high. That said, in a draft where Avdija is projected top 5, I can see Jokubaitis sneeking into first, unless non loterry talent is deep.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#36 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:48 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Re-watched a bunch on Smith/Oturu tonight, and ended up lowering both and moving up Aaron Henry. :lol:

Their strengths and weaknesses are very similar, loose handle, prone to making bad decisions under pressure, lack of strength, etc. I just buy Jalen more as a finisher, shooter, and smart rotational rim protector. He has a quicker load time, quicker/more compact release (plus off movement shooting). Realizing that even having him at 35 was maybe too high though. Both pretty replaceable with FA vet min types, which is why I generally value bigs lower in general.

Interesting. I think you can't expect prospects to be without flaws especially when you are talking about bigs.

I'll have to go back and watch some more tape of both. But I've had Oturu @ 40 and Smith @ 42. Smith's lower body also concerns me a great deal.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#37 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:13 pm

The fact some have Daniel Oturu undrafted when the same people claim Wiseman is a better prospect than the high iq Okongwu is hilarious to me. Oturu has actually shown better hops than Wiseman better mobility and has center length. And the funny part is they are both very similar ceiling rim running/protection lob catching average at best iq bigs who think they are 1st option embiid clones smh
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#38 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Stillwater wrote:The fact some have Daniel Oturu undrafted when the same people claim Wiseman is a better prospect than the high iq Okongwu is hilarious to me. Oturu has actually shown better hops than Wiseman better mobility and has center length. And the funny part is they are both very similar ceiling rim running/protection lob catching average at best iq bigs who think they are 1st option embiid clones smh

This is a really bad take.

Oturu/Wiseman doesn't get to decide how his coach uses him at the college level.

LMAO.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#39 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Thats low considering he is more proven at Euroleague level than Bolmaro or Pokusevski, but I get it, his ceiling is not very high. That said, in a draft where Avdija is projected top 5, I can see Jokubaitis sneeking into first, unless non loterry talent is deep.

Is he really more proven? He's not a very proven 3-pt shooter. He doesn't get much lift off the ground either.

His A/TO ratio is pretty poor for a ball-handler and he doesn't rack up a bunch of STOCKs.

He's not super athletic either.

He's definitely an interesting prospect to keep an eye on, though. He looks pretty comfortable with his off-hand and looks a bit craftier than other guards in this draft.

Late 2nd draft and stash flier makes the most sense to me as a best outcome.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#40 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:39 pm

I would take Rokas early 2nd and I think he doesn't stay but if he does he should go higher than late 2nd for sure, he is good and stashing adds value

He is more proven but dunno about much, I mean Rokas has barely played in EL either, he has played more in his team's national league, but LKL is like way, way, way worse than ACB so dunno what's the point there and Oly is in HEBA A2 now, so it's different for Poku

Return to NBA Draft