Aleksej Pokusevski

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#201 » by getrichordie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:00 pm

The talk about being able to throw 3s at Poku all depends on his evolution/progress as a player. He's still super young so a lot can change.

But as it currently stands, you could probably throw JJ Barea on him and he would give him problems.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#202 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:35 pm

clyde21 wrote:what will Poku do if he has Covington or Klay or Butler on him on the perimeter? he's not really like a KD where he really does play that tall, or a Nowitzki, where you can't just put 6-6 guys on them they'll just bomb J's over their heads all day

LOL. The dude has a 9'3" standing reach and blocked a ton of shots. How would he handle those guys? I mean at least Covington and Klay I expect pretty well, because they're not known for driving. And Butler is going to give a lot of guys problems, but at least Poku can move and has length.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#203 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:what will Poku do if he has Covington or Klay or Butler on him on the perimeter? he's not really like a KD where he really does play that tall, or a Nowitzki, where you can't just put 6-6 guys on them they'll just bomb J's over their heads all day

LOL. The dude has a 9'3" standing reach and blocked a ton of shots. How would he handle those guys? I mean at least Covington and Klay I expect pretty well, because they're not known for driving. And Butler is going to give a lot of guys problems, but at least Poku can move and has length.

i'm talking about defending HIM, not him defending.

maybe less "LOL" and more actually reading.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#204 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:48 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

We were talking about defense. But sure, I expect Poku isn't going to be expected to be a 30% USG guy. But he obviously has the length to shoot over guys and he can shoot on the move. It's not hard to envision him being an efficient scorer on 25% usg. And that's just scoring, obviously he can do a lot of other things with the ball in terms of making plays.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#205 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

We were talking about defense. But sure, I expect Poku isn't going to be expected to be a 30% USG guy. But he obviously has the length to shoot over guys and he can shoot on the move. It's not hard to envision him being an efficient scorer on 25% usg. And that's just scoring, obviously he can do a lot of other things with the ball in terms of making plays.

yes, were talkin about defense, as in:

what will Poku do if he has Covington or Klay or Butler on him on the perimeter?

meaning teams won't just throw 4s against him but also wings, 3s, swingmen, etc., and he doesn't play big enough to make that a bad match up.

again, less 'LOL' and more reading.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#206 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

what will Poku do if he has Covington or Klay or Butler on him on the perimeter?

meaning teams won't just throw 4s against him but also wings, 3s, swingmen, etc., and he doesn't play big enough to make that a bad match up.

No, you are talking about Poku on offense. *We* were talking about him on defense. LOL, more reading I guess.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#207 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:08 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

No, you are talking about Poku on offense. *We* were talking about him on defense. LOL, more reading I guess.

we are talking about DEFENDING Poku, this entire conversation started with you wondering how Adams is gonna defend Poku, I said he won't have to because 4s will defend him and teams will throw 3s (Klay, Butler, Covington) on him as well

get it?
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#208 » by pad300 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:50 am

clyde21 wrote:
doesn't really matter because Poku plays more like a 6-6 guy than he a does a 7-0 guy, a lot of 3s will be able to body him on the perimeter...what will Poku do if he has Covington or Klay or Butler on him on the perimeter? he's not really like a KD where he really does play that tall, or a Nowitzki, where you can't just put 6-6 guys on them they'll just bomb J's over their heads all day

That's something that took Dirk 10 or so years in the league to figure out - remember the warriors in 2007? I'd guess that with that as an example, Poku might be able to learn to deal...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#209 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:21 am

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

we are talking about DEFENDING Poku, this entire conversation started with you wondering how Adams is gonna defend Poku, I said he won't have to because 4s will defend him and teams will throw 3s (Klay, Butler, Covington) on him as well

get it?

No, go back and read:

If he can't defend on the perimeter at all, he's a 5. And that could easily tank him; he needs to put on a lot of muscle to play at the 5 spot in this league. Think him vs. Steve Adams... currently, Poku gets broken in half.

It wasn't me that started the conversation and it wasn't about Poku's offense. Reading is fundamental!
clyde21
RealGM

Post#210 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:02 am

lmao bruv, u can't be serious...this was YOU:

Clearly Poku is not going to be defending a guy like Adams early in his career. But on the other end good luck to Adams covering Poku on the perimeter.

THIS is what I was responding to...Adams won't have to defend Poku because he'll be defended by 4s and 3s in the NBA accordingly.

let me know once you're all caught up.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#211 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:52 am

clyde21 wrote:lmao bruv, u can't be serious...this was YOU:

Clearly Poku is not going to be defending a guy like Adams early in his career. But on the other end good luck to Adams covering Poku on the perimeter.

THIS is what I was responding to...Adams won't have to defend Poku because he'll be defended by 4s and 3s in the NBA accordingly.

This is why you can't trust this man. :noway:

He dug in to his stance, even though you made it clear that the topic of conversation WASN'T about Pokusevski's defense.

Nice avatar. Elaborate boards. Condescending comments. Little substance.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#212 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:45 pm

getrichordie wrote:Pokusevski is definitely closer to 6'9 than 7'0. I'd say tops he is 6'9.5... slender frame makes him look taller.

But we should trust *you*? :lol:
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#213 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:51 pm

If you're defending Poku with a 3, and he's your big, who is Adams going to defend? An even smaller player? The whole point is a guy like Poku can wreck your defense.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#214 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:21 pm

If you're defending Poku with a 3, and he's your big, who is Adams going to defend? An even smaller player? The whole point is a guy like Poku can wreck your defense.

Its also worth noting that Jonathan Issac is listed at 6'11, 210lbs and has been just fine at PF. He is playing more SF this season, but as a PF he wasn't steamrolled like many would assume. He does have much more muscle mass, but just looking at weight there isn't much difference.

Its hard to find a comparison for him, but he has some Cliff Robinson on offense, if I had to make a comp.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#215 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:34 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Its also worth noting that Jonathan Issac is listed at 6'11, 210lbs and has been just fine at PF. He is playing more SF this season, but as a PF he wasn't steamrolled like many would assume. He does have much more muscle mass, but just looking at weight there isn't much difference.

Its hard to find a comparison for him, but he has some Cliff Robinson on offense, if I had to make a comp.

I think Kukoc on offense works to some extent.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#216 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm

EvanZ wrote:

if Poku is your 'big' for any real minutes good luck :lol:

and my point is his size doesn't create mismatches against smaller dudes because he doesn't play his height, so teams will get away with switching and throwing wings and swingmen at him no problem.

and let's not act like he can defend the perimeter either against those same wings.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#217 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:38 pm

also...the idea behind Poku's value is that you should play him next to another big because you CAN play him next to another big, the entire point is that you have two 7 footers on the floor without clogging the paint, if you're drafting Poku to make him your only big on the floor you're defeating the purpose of a Poku type of combo big
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,165

Post#218 » by God Squad » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:20 am

clyde21 wrote:also...the idea behind Poku's value is that you should play him next to another big because you CAN play him next to another big, the entire point is that you have two 7 footers on the floor without clogging the paint, if you're drafting Poku to make him your only big on the floor you're defeating the purpose of a Poku type of combo big

I agree. I think he'd be a good fit with any team with a soild centre. For instance, the raptors with Gasol and Poku could hurt teams. I see poku as a 4 in the mold of KP. If you put him at SF you take away any advantage he'd have.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#219 » by Catchall » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:03 pm

clyde21 wrote:also...the idea behind Poku's value is that you should play him next to another big because you CAN play him next to another big, the entire point is that you have two 7 footers on the floor without clogging the paint, if you're drafting Poku to make him your only big on the floor you're defeating the purpose of a Poku type of combo big

You may not be completely defeating the purpose of drafting Poku by playing him at the 5, but it's a really nice advantage for a team to have a mobile, floor-spacing, ball-moving big at the 4. Plus it gives teams a second rim protector and plus-rebounder. I agree that the team that drafts Poku will most likely play him at the 4 like Zach Collins or Lauri Markkanen, and he could easily turn out better than those guys. At this stage, Poku plays more like a wing than a traditional big.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,095

Post#220 » by stoo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm

Catchall wrote:

You may not be completely defeating the purpose of drafting Poku by playing him at the 5, but it's a really nice advantage for a team to have a mobile, floor-spacing, ball-moving big at the 4. Plus it gives teams a second rim protector and plus-rebounder. I agree that the team that drafts Poku will most likely play him at the 4 like Zach Collins or Lauri Markkanen, and he could easily turn out better than those guys. At this stage, Poku plays more like a wing than a traditional big.

I'd say it would be good for a team to have 2 players like Poku on the floor as frontcourt. Poku will be around 7,2 at least when he develops
NotSinceWilt

Return to NBA Draft