ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#761 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:32 pm

Exclusive rights licenses have absolutely destroyed the sports video game landscape over the past 15 years. Haven't bought a Madden game since 2009 and I don't miss it one bit. NBA 2K is a dumpster fire now. MLB Show and FIFA are the only sports sims that I have any continuing faith in. I'd say that they need to bring NBA/NFL Street back but you know EA would just massively **** it up.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#762 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:42 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Exclusive rights licenses have absolutely destroyed the sports video game landscape over the past 15 years. Haven't bought a Madden game since 2009 and I don't miss it one bit. NBA 2K is a dumpster fire now. MLB Show and FIFA are the only sports sims that I have any continuing faith in. I'd say that they need to bring NBA/NFL Street back but you know EA would just massively **** it up.

This, except I think The Show has even taken a nose dive for several years now. It's not in the same sorry state as Madden and NBA2k, but it's far from its peak.

FIFA seems great, and I imagine that having PES as competition helps.

Looking forward to PGA Tour 2K, but I'm sure it'll be at least partially ruined by MTX also.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#763 » by crkone » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:46 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
machu46 wrote:
crkone wrote:https://www.humblebundle.com/fight-for-racial-justice-bundle

Pretty good bundle here.

This might be a dumb question. I paid the $30. Do I need to redeem all the Steam codes within the next week or whatever or can I redeem them anytime I want?

When I did Humble Monthly I could redeem them any time I wanted. It was fun to realize, "Oh, I've been playing for this the last eight months, I should see what's in the library" and having a hundred games or whatever.

A warning though. I had a humble steam key sitting in my account I didn't know about and tried to redeem it. Seems like someone stole the key. :(

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#764 » by machu46 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:52 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Exclusive rights licenses have absolutely destroyed the sports video game landscape over the past 15 years. Haven't bought a Madden game since 2009 and I don't miss it one bit. NBA 2K is a dumpster fire now. MLB Show and FIFA are the only sports sims that I have any continuing faith in. I'd say that they need to bring NBA/NFL Street back but you know EA would just massively **** it up.

I still think 2K and The Show are comfortably the best sports games out there. 2K because they continue to try to improve every year (to mixed results) and they have the best franchise mode in any sports game (outside of manager simulations like OOTP) and The Show because their foundation is pretty much perfect and the carry-over saves is the best feature in any sports game (though they make very few changes on an annual basis).

Also, 2K doesn’t technically have an exclusive license. They just dominated the competition so thoroughly that nobody dares to make a basketball game anymore.

I would also argue that PES’ gameplay is better than FIFA though both games have a lackluster franchise mode. FIFA’s licensing and presentation are really nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#765 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:30 pm

Desperado 3 has a demo out on Steam now. I think it might be a timed thing, so if you want to check it out, go download!
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#766 » by jschligs » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:47 pm

I can actually tolerate FIFA and 2k’s manager modes, but I only buy every other year typically. Madden hasn’t been on my radar is a long time, just garbage. What I really need back is NCAAF and NCAAB.

During quarantine Barstools Big Cat (who went to UW) has been streaming his NCAAF 15 dynasty mode and it’s actually been entertaining to watch.

I just think all sports games (and even sequels in other genres) have gone down in quality for a while now. Developers know they can slap a couple minor updates on last years and new rosters and still sell boatloads. And without competition, like in Madden’s case, they turn to rubbish.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#767 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:55 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Desperado 3 has a demo out on Steam now. I think it might be a timed thing, so if you want to check it out, go download!

This game is a blast and the mechanics are fun. Highly recommend checking it out if you like tactical games (Xcom, Wasteland, and the like), and/or Western settings (this one is much lighter than RDR). If you like both, this should be a homerun. Had a blast the past 2 hrs.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,600

Post#768 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:04 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:

This, except I think The Show has even taken a nose dive for several years now. It's not in the same sorry state as Madden and NBA2k, but it's far from its peak.

Looking forward to PGA Tour 2K, but I'm sure it'll be at least partially ruined by MTX also.

I am rare sports gamer who only cares for singpleplayer. Play FIFA manager mode all the time, it havent seen innovation in years and I have few major gripes with the mode, but if you like reliving GM fantasy of buying, selling, training players, and can overlook major shortcomings of the mode, its a good time.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#769 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:18 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

I am rare sports gamer who only cares for singpleplayer. Play FIFA manager mode all the time, it havent seen innovation in years and I have few major gripes with the mode, but if you like reliving GM fantasy of buying, selling, training players, and can overlook major shortcomings of the mode, its a good time.

Same here. I don't really care for multiplayer, and FIFA has provided virtually no substantive changes to Manager mode in years. Their most recent changes were all superficial - these boring ass cut scenes during transfer and/or contract negotiations. Then again, I do enjoy how much I can piss off Pep Guardiola when I low ball him in a transfer approach. :lol:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#770 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 pm

The Show crossed with OOTP Baseball is still (years and years later) the game I want to play. Like, Sony, come on. The template is literally right there for you. Revamp the Franchise mode to mirror the best parts of OOTP and you have the perfect baseball game.
jmuelly
Junior
And1: 88

Post#771 » by jmuelly » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:44 pm

[list=][/list]
ReasonablySober wrote:The Show crossed with OOTP Baseball is still (years and years later) the game I want to play. Like, Sony, come on. The template is literally right there for you. Revamp the Franchise mode to mirror the best parts of OOTP and you have the perfect baseball game.

That's not about collecting virtual cards though. As a franchise user myself the sports game nowadays have really lost my interest because the concern is now the money spending my team players.

I am really enjoying Super Mega Baseball 3. Enjoyed the first 2 but this one feels even better.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#772 » by jschligs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Cyberpunk delayed until November...I’m sad
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#773 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:58 pm

With it being so close to anticipated PS5 release, I might opt to get it on PS5 (vs. PC) now as I would imagine it'll be a good display of putting the system through the works, which would be interesting to see. Also fun to experience on a 70".

That said, it could also be the case (as I think has often been the case in the past) that the next gen version isn't that great because it's basically just a port instead of native build.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#774 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:02 pm

I'm always skeptical of next gen games that are seemingly designed for previous gen. Sports games are particularly terrible in this regard.
machu46
General Manager

Post#775 » by machu46 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:33 pm

jschligs wrote:Cyberpunk delayed until November...I’m sad

Looking like I'm going to need to cancel my pre-order. A shame because that was the last game I was able to pre-order before the BestBuy discounts went away.
machu46
General Manager

Post#776 » by machu46 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:36 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I'm always skeptical of next gen games that are seemingly designed for previous gen. Sports games are particularly terrible in this regard.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how the sports games transition. I remember the first 2K for the PS4 was an absolutely monumental leap in terms of graphics (and gameplay was very good as well) but they pretty much had no modes to play that first year.

Madden was already headed down a dark path at that time but it got even worse as it transitioned to the PS4.

In the very least, it looks like 2K will be taking a massive leap again in terms of graphics; hopefully they give us a full-fledged game this time around though. I have nearly no faith in the EA Sports games at this point, especially after the recent Madden trailer (granted that was a current gen trailer).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#777 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:49 pm

Speaking of 2K, might have to pick up that new golf game of theirs. It doesn't look like anything revolutionary, but what it does have seems to be solid. I don't really love the courses I've seen listed, though. I've been playing the typical TPC courses for 25 years.
machu46
General Manager

Post#778 » by machu46 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:25 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Speaking of 2K, might have to pick up that new golf game of theirs. It doesn't look like anything revolutionary, but what it does have seems to be solid. I don't really love the courses I've seen listed, though. I've been playing the typical TPC courses for 25 years.

The best part about the game is that people that are insanely talented created pretty much any real course you'd ever want to play in addition to thousands of well-made fake courses. You won't have any problems playing whatever courses you have in your head.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#779 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:16 pm

machu46 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Speaking of 2K, might have to pick up that new golf game of theirs. It doesn't look like anything revolutionary, but what it does have seems to be solid. I don't really love the courses I've seen listed, though. I've been playing the typical TPC courses for 25 years.

The best part about the game is that people that are insanely talented created pretty much any real course you'd ever want to play in addition to thousands of well-made fake courses. You won't have any problems playing whatever courses you have in your head.

That’s interesting. I haven’t looked into it at all, but if the course builder is great maybe I can make a couple of my home courses.
machu46
General Manager

Post#780 » by machu46 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
machu46 wrote:

That’s interesting. I haven’t looked into it at all, but if the course builder is great maybe I can make a couple of my home courses.

It's been really good in their past iterations at least. Overwhelming for me but really good in the right hands.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks