Post#1 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Sounds like hes on a 4 year deal
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Re: Woj- Pistons hire Troy Weaver as new GM 

Post#2 » by rmfc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:20 pm

I am cautiously optimistic about this hiring. Hope it works out soon for the Pistons.

Hope it also means that the Pistons will move on from Stefanski as soon as possible.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Everyone seems to give high praise for the signing. Just worried about Gores and Stefanski getting in the way
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#4 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Lol
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#5 » by DBC10 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:38 pm

I just want Weaver to be unrestrained without Gores and Ed. That is the crucial key for his success
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 pm

At least we got him in before the draft considering its our highest pick since the Darko mess
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#7 » by NotACat » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:17 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Everyone seems to give high praise for the signing. Just worried about Gores and Stefanski getting in the way

Weaver has been a top candidate for multiple teams, I don't think he takes the job in Detroit unless he has the autonomy he wants
Black Lives Matter
Global Game
Junior
And1: 70

Post#8 » by Global Game » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:05 pm

And so begins the Devon Hall and Abdul Gaddy era.

Pistons heading in the right direction.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#9 » by pistonsbball » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Awesome, dude would have had a heck of an experience at OKC. This new GM search has probably gone as well as it could.

Does this mean we tank properly and don't still dream of fighting for the 8 seed?
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#10 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Anything is better than getting rid of a 1st round pick for a bunch of junk and some guy abroad who will never make it over to the USA.

Did OKC end up with the Tobias Harris pick from LAC? Trying to think who OKC has picked up in recent years. Chris Paul turned out WAY better than I guessed. Guys from the Paul George trade all turned out great.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#11 » by Invictus88 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Can I get more understanding where the Ed Stefanski hate is coming from? (DBC10 and MotownMadness)

I know he likely botched the trade for Sirvydis but outside of that what have you heard?

I just haven't seen him making any terrible moves salary-wise that have hamstrung our franchise for years; something that can't be said for the 2 GMs prior. Granted, he's likely had less opportunity to do so.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:43 pm

Invictus88 wrote:Can I get more understanding where the Ed Stefanski hate is coming from? (DBC10 and MotownMadness)

I know he likely botched the trade for Sirvydis but outside of that what have you heard?

I just haven't seen him making any terrible moves salary-wise that have hamstrung our franchise for years; something that can't be said for the 2 GMs prior. Granted, he's likely had less opportunity to do so.

I dont think Ed has been terrible or anything but i just dont want a bunch of minds interfering with each other. Ed has done ok with what hes had to work with but i want to fully see what Weaver can do on his own cause he does have a more impressive resume then Ed.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#13 » by Invictus88 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:Can I get more understanding where the Ed Stefanski hate is coming from? (DBC10 and MotownMadness)

I dont think Ed has been terrible or anything but i just dont want a bunch of minds interfering with each other. Ed has done ok with what hes had to work with but i want to fully see what Weaver can do on his own cause he does have a more impressive resume then Ed.

I just can't see him accepting a job over here if there were any inclination that he would get interference from above. He's a relatively sought-after guy right? So it's a seller's market as far as he's concerned.

This timing all fits the narrative that the Pistons' FO has been planning for years to eventually hand over the keys to a new GM once salaries cleared and the roster/asset situation became such that they could get a good hire. They've done exactly that from my understanding. And yet they still get flak.

I mean, I think we are all in agreement on the way we want things to go as far as the organization. I just haven't seen any reason so far to think that won't happen.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#14 » by 440BB » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:06 pm

I expect the next year to be a gradual handing over of the reins as Weaver gets to know the team. Stefanski has been pretty effective in bridging the gap after the SVG debacle, leaving us with a younger team, some good picks and cap space. He also unloaded Andre and Reggie without us taking on anything in the future. Once Blake's contract is gone Weaver will have plenty of options.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#15 » by coordinator0 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:02 am

Probably the best outcome we could have hoped for. Someone with quality experience that teams have actually wanted and isn't a reread option. Very happy with this hire.

Besides the draft I'm not sure if the first big decision is whether or not to re-sign Wood or throw a wad of cash at FVV. I've got a nagging feeling the latter is a pretty attractive option to the team...
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#16 » by DBC10 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:40 am

Invictus88 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

I just can't see him accepting a job over here if there were any inclination that he would get interference from above. He's a relatively sought-after guy right? So it's a seller's market as far as he's concerned.

This timing all fits the narrative that the Pistons' FO has been planning for years to eventually hand over the keys to a new GM once salaries cleared and the roster/asset situation became such that they could get a good hire. They've done exactly that from my understanding. And yet they still get flak.

I mean, I think we are all in agreement on the way we want things to go as far as the organization. I just haven't seen any reason so far to think that won't happen.

My main problem has always been with Gores if anything, Ed is just the by-product of that disdain. But I also realize Ed is entirely just average in the grand scheme of things so some hate is definitely unwarranted.

Time will definitely tell, I'm cautiously optimistic if Weaver signed for four years when there were much more lucrative team offers potentially down the line.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,686

Post#17 » by zeebneeb » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 am

I'll just defer to you guys in that this is a good hire but I will also echo others worries about the level of his autonomy.

If anything this does signal that the owner understands that an entirely new direction is needed and that's a good thing.
beechnut
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#18 » by beechnut » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:13 pm

When Stefanski took the job 2 years ago, he was hired to hire a GM. He just did that.

The GM job was not attractive 2 years ago. Stefanski actually did very little for two years. With the Gores mandate to win, there was nothing to do. He couldn't tank, so he just ran out the clock with no long term damage done.

By not hiring a GM, Stefanski did the dirty work himself (nothing). He made the position somewhat attractive and fulfilled his duty.

If Troy Weaver has autonomy and is successful as Pistons GM, we will look back and be thankful for the Ed Stefanski years.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#19 » by Billl » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:43 pm

beechnut wrote:When Stefanski took the job 2 years ago, he was hired to hire a GM. He just did that.

The GM job was not attractive 2 years ago. Stefanski actually did very little for two years. With the Gores mandate to win, there was nothing to do. He couldn't tank, so he just ran out the clock with no long term damage done.

By not hiring a GM, Stefanski did the dirty work himself (nothing). He made the position somewhat attractive and fulfilled his duty.

If Troy Weaver has autonomy and is successful as Pistons GM, we will look back and be thankful for the Ed Stefanski years.

Yeah, I don't know why anyone blames ed. He's played his role very well. Most importantly, he was definitely a big part in getting gores to agree to a rebuild. He's gotten team onto a much better path then they were 3 years ago.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#20 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:13 pm

Ed hasn't worked any miracles but he hasn't made any panic moves like SVG (sometimes your best moves are ones you DONT make), so I've been very happy with him. I do think he should phase himself out though and hand over the reins to the new GM. Ed can stick around to fulfill his contract, help with the Weaver transition and move on (should probably retire at this point).
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Detroit Pistons