ImageImageImageImageImage

How lucky are we to have this dude on our team? (Terence Davis)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

flipside21
Veteran
And1: 896

Re: How lucky are we to have this dude on our team? (Terence Davis) 

Post#21 » by flipside21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:30 pm

TheBoi10 wrote:He's pandering and you guys are eating it up :roll:

Good point . . . How smart is this kid!? He has the insight and foresight to pander! I love it!
DubaiRaptors
Freshman
And1: 122

Post#22 » by DubaiRaptors » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:52 pm

Or maybe the kid genuinely loves Canada and really misses it? He is already a fan favorite, having a great rookie season and all is seemingly going well for him so there is no need to pander. We have seen time and time again former raptor and other nba players fall in love with the city of toronto so no surprise someone would miss being here especially when you started your career here. I think in his case he was really looking forward to his first playoff with that atmosphere only seen in Toronto but the postponed season took it all away and now the whole bubble thing means no Toronto for at least a few months. I personally believe the kid and can't wait to see him play again for the raptors in the playoffs.
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#23 » by rrdjutriurt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Like i mentioned before, with the rookie wall now out of the way and the super long break in play, this will be like year two for Terrence. He has mad talent and no lack of self confidence! I think we are going to see a heck of a playoff run from this kid!
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,396

Post#24 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Retro_Junkball wrote:As much as I think McCaw is not as good, he plays the right way. TD has been sent the message that he needs to play the right way. That is best for him in the long run. If he improves, then I expect he'll get lots of minutes next year and a staggeringly large contract for an undrafted player in his second year. Although, who knows what next season will look like.

McCaw literally doesn't do anything right. He's by far the worst offensive player on the team (he has a case for worst offensive player in the league), and his defence is as average (arguably below average) as it gets.

He's the last player TD should be trying to learn anything from.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#25 » by Bankai » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:55 pm

It really says something hearing that from a guy from small town, Mississippi
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,396

Post#26 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Bankai wrote:It really says something hearing that from a guy from small town, Mississippi

I can think of few places more dreadful to live than a small town in the Southern US.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#27 » by Psubs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Retro_Junkball wrote:As much as I think McCaw is not as good, he plays the right way. TD has been sent the message that he needs to play the right way. That is best for him in the long run. If he improves, then I expect he'll get lots of minutes next year and a staggeringly large contract for an undrafted player in his second year. Although, who knows what next season will look like.

McCaw literally doesn't do anything right. He's by far the worst offensive player on the team (he has a case for worst offensive player in the league), and his defence is as average (arguably below average) as it gets.

Hold my beer! - Stanley Johnson
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,508

Post#28 » by SFour » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:05 pm

nah I think he truly enjoys Toronto....I remember in the winter he was recording instagram videos on his condo balcony of Lake Ontario and he was genuinely enjoying himself. I believe TD is from the South so Toronto is a brand new experience for him.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#29 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm

he misses the toronto punan
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#30 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

I think he’s usually in the right place, he’s just useless when he gets there. TD2 is not always in the right place and I think that’s the deal. Everything about the raps, especially on D, is about being on a string so Terence needs to earn that trust. Nurse is a basketball genius, he knows what’s up.
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#31 » by libertyYYZ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:51 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

I think he’s usually in the right place, he’s just useless when he gets there. TD2 is not always in the right place and I think that’s the deal. Everything about the raps, especially on D, is about being on a string so Terence needs to earn that trust. Nurse is a basketball genius, he knows what’s up.

The kid has skill, but this is a learning year -- mostly on defence. Another year or so from now, he'll be a real rising star with 2-way skils. Best part is that the kid still wants to be here. Masai keeps generating talent and adding key pieces to replace some of our vets who are aging gracefully.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#32 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:08 am

libertyYYZ wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

The kid has skill, but this is a learning year -- mostly on defence. Another year or so from now, he'll be a real rising star with 2-way skils. Best part is that the kid still wants to be here. Masai keeps generating talent and adding key pieces to replace some of our vets who are aging gracefully.

Oh there’s tons to like, he’s a gem. The Raps are just an awesome team who can afford to bring players along the right way and can win with McCaw playing like a CPU player with 80 awareness but rated 50 overall.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#33 » by Psubs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:21 am

SFour wrote:

nah I think he truly enjoys Toronto....I remember in the winter he was recording instagram videos on his condo balcony of Lake Ontario and he was genuinely enjoying himself. I believe TD is from the South so Toronto is a brand new experience for him.

How long before TD gets a TD endorsement deal? :nod:
Psubs
RealGM

Post#34 » by Psubs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:28 am

antonaki1 wrote:Like i mentioned before, with the rookie wall now out of the way and the super long break in play, this will be like year two for Terrence. He has mad talent and no lack of self confidence! I think we are going to see a heck of a playoff run from this kid!

Exactly! He should go over tape and see and practice the defensive rotations. I think he's got the offense down for his 1st season, just need to tighten to championship level defense. :nod:
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#35 » by Mikistan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:43 am

Psubs wrote:
SFour wrote:

How long before TD gets a TD endorsement deal? :nod:

Tangerine Davis
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#36 » by Ell Curry » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:10 am

Psubs wrote:
C_Money wrote:Does Nurse feel the same way? He seems to like Patrick fricken McCaw better.

It's a groom and keep humble so his next contract isn't too big, thing.

I dunno if Nurse cares about contracts and the reasoning is a guess to me, but the numbers are that Davis has similar rookie minutes as Siakam and OG. Year 3 was then they went over 30 minutes. OG was 22 and Siakam was 24. Davis will be 24 in year 3.

So really I wouldn't even freak if Davis only goes up from 17 minutes to 20+ next year. For me the bigger questions is his shooting. Is he the guy his college numbers suggest or are his 3 and FT numbers here closer. Is it in between and if so closer to which?

Anyone have his synergy pick and roll number? I like the way he slows down like a veteran PG at times, which seems quite rare from non PG rookies. And his handle and passing are intriguing but we didn't see a ton because we have 2 point guards, a high scoring ballhandler in Siakam and even Gasol runs the offense at times, there's really a lot to discuss. He could be anything from a solid 3rd guard to a an all-star I think. We have a few years to decide before he gets that offer sheet you're thinking is low.

Off topic but you got me thinking. Is OG getting maxed or a huge deal? A lot of young teams with some scoring talent but not much on D like the Kings, Hawks, Cavs, Hornets, T-Wolves, Grizzlies, Mavericks and Pistons could all badly use a guy like him to cover defensively for and space the floor for guys like Doncic, Booker, Trae Young etc...
Where's the D?
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#37 » by Metallikid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:05 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:Let's hope Nurse and McCaw don't run him out of town

You underestimate the genius that is Nick Nurse.

I realized a while back during this hiatus what the real relationship between Patrick McCaw and Terence Davis is.

It's this:

McCaw is TD's training weights.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#38 » by Jcity08 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:59 am

So long as he's not a politician trying to pander to me for my vote without actually having to do any work to earn it, I'm okay with this.

A compliment or two doesnt hurt. I say pander away young fella.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#39 » by lebron stopper » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:12 am

Ell Curry wrote:Anyone have his synergy pick and roll number? I like the way he slows down like a veteran PG at times, which seems quite rare from non PG rookies. And his handle and passing are intriguing but we didn't see a ton because we have 2 point guards, a high scoring ballhandler in Siakam and even Gasol runs the offense at times, there's really a lot to discuss. He could be anything from a solid 3rd guard to a an all-star I think. We have a few years to decide before he gets that offer sheet you're thinking is low.

TD scores a putrid 0.68 PPP (23rd percentile) as the PnR ball handler this season. For reference, VanVleet peaked at 0.84 PPP (58th percentile) in 2017-18, and Powell peaked at 0.97 PPP (85th percentile) in 2016-17. fwiw I think TD will get much better in this area in the future with more experience and training.

Ell Curry wrote:Off topic but you got me thinking. Is OG getting maxed or a huge deal? A lot of young teams with some scoring talent but not much on D like the Kings, Hawks, Cavs, Hornets, T-Wolves, Grizzlies, Mavericks and Pistons could all badly use a guy like him to cover defensively for and space the floor for guys like Doncic, Booker, Trae Young etc...

Can't see OG getting a max deal from anyone. That's $30 million/year at least for someone who barely contributes on offense and doesn't seem to have much upside there. A huge gamble that probably won't pan out as expected.

I think he gets something like 4/60. that probably falls to something like 4/48 if the cap ends up going down.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#40 » by OGLife » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:26 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

Usually those are the better teachers. They're less gifted with athletic ability so they use technique to get ahead

Return to Toronto Raptors