Would Warriors have cap space if...

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,387

Would Warriors have cap space if... 

Post#1 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:21 am

We simply let KD walk?

I don't think so....and if that's the case it seems masterful that Warriors eventually turned KD into Wiggins and a lottery pick.

Can anyone confirm what our cap space likely would have been going into 2021 without the sign and trade?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Re: Would Warriors have cap space if... 

Post#2 » by The Maestro » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 am

Well, that’s exactly why they took Russell. They didn’t really want him hut wanted his cap slot. It’s the same reason why they’ll use the full TPE. It’s gone forever if they don’t fill it. Even if it means getting a guy they don’t really want, they’re gonna get him so they can flip him down the road. Those slots are way too valuable. Once they’re gone, they’re gone.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#3 » by Badly Browned » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:35 am

Curry, Klay, Green, and Looney were already $94.46m in salary. The cap this year was $109m with a lux threshold at $132m. Add in our draft picks and we had virtually no cap space in letting KD walk.

Going into 2020-2021, Curry, Green, Thompson, Looney, Poole, Smiley, Paschall are the fully guaranteed contracts and cost $109.8m with a pre-COVID19 cap projection of $115m.

Curry ($43m), Klay ($35m) and Draymond ($22m) are $100m in just their 3 contracts.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#4 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:38 am

The Maestro wrote:Well, that’s exactly why they took Russell. They didn’t really want him hut wanted his cap slot. It’s the same reason why they’ll use the full TPE. It’s gone forever if they don’t fill it. Even if it means getting a guy they don’t really want, they’re gonna get him so they can flip him down the road. Those slots are way too valuable. Once they’re gone, they’re gone.

Their biggest issue will be that they will have to keep moving draft picks to get players without losing talent themselves even with the valuable salary slots. They are going to have to get lucky on young players to keep it going.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,181

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:10 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:We simply let KD walk?

I don't think so....and if that's the case it seems masterful that Warriors eventually turned KD into Wiggins and a lottery pick.

Can anyone confirm what our cap space likely would have been going into 2021 without the sign and trade?

masterful?

you do know that we had to give up a pick and move Iguodala to make that happen as well, right?

in aggregate, the trade was Wiggins/2021 1st for Winslow/2024 1st
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#6 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:21 pm

clyde21 wrote:

masterful?

you do know that we had to give up a pick and move Iguodala to make that happen as well, right?

we also got DLo to help the tank, and in turn he's going to help Minnesota tank our pick for us #BOBMYERSDAGAWD

floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,387

Post#7 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

masterful?

we also got DLo to help the tank, and in turn he's going to help Minnesota tank our pick for us #BOBMYERSDAGAWD

And how would have Iggy helped us this year? How valuable would he have been in a year with Curry, Green, DLO and no Klay? I would say that the TPE is more valuable going into 2021 than a two year older Iggy...someone already on minute restrictions.

But the "masterful" move is getting value and turning THAT into value plus a pick. I happen to think that Wiggins will be a big reason why Warriors make it back to finals...and a lottery pick?

Warriors added an above average talent as a 3rd or 4th option...and have a lottery pick this year (helps we didn't have Iggy in this case) and another top 3 protected pick for next year.

If a GM could have come out better than that considering Durant WAS leaving without a doubt....love to hear it.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:08 pm

pretty straight forward, let Durant leave, flip Iguodala at the deadline and keep the 2024 pick.

we didn't HAVE to trade for Dlo.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by The Maestro » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:pretty straight forward, let Durant leave, flip Iguodala at the deadline and keep the 2024 pick.

I’d rather have the Minny pick. It’ll most likely be top 10 in the beat draft in many years. It’s a far better asset to have to win now than the 2024 pick.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:40 pm

The Maestro wrote:
clyde21 wrote:pretty straight forward, let Durant leave, flip Iguodala at the deadline and keep the 2024 pick.

I’d rather have the Minny pick. It’ll most likely be top 10 in the beat draft in many years. It’s a far better asset to have to win now than the 2024 pick.

you can make that argument

but it's FAR from a 'masterful' transaction
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by The Maestro » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:13 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

Yeah it’s not like they traded for Russell knowing they’d get the Minny pick but I absolutely believe they took him with the mindset that they could flip him for a more valuable asset than what Iggy and the 2024 pick could bring back which is exactly why they made the deal. It was a gamble for sure but as of now it looks like it was the right move.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:38 pm

The Maestro wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

Yeah it’s not like they traded for Russell knowing they’d get the Minny pick but I absolutely believe they took him with the mindset that they could flip him for a more valuable asset than what Iggy and the 2024 pick could bring back which is exactly why they made the deal. It was a gamble for sure but as of now it looks like it was the right move.

we'll see, honestly I'd rather have someone like Winslow today on the roster than Wiggins, especially at his price point, and time will tell what will happen to the picks
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#13 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:48 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

we'll see, honestly I'd rather have someone like Winslow today on the roster than Wiggins, especially at his price point, and time will tell what will happen to the picks

So you would have rather kept Iguodala and the 2024 1st? Cause we didn't have a Jae Crowder to get Winslow.

You are aware that Memphis gave up more than Iguodala to get Winslow - right? They also gave up Crowder. And Crowder played close to 30mpg for Miami, while Iguodala played more like 20mpg. I think its safe to say it was more Crowder for Winslow than Iguodala for Winslow. The Iguodala part was more or less filler for taking Waiters' contract.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by The Maestro » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I wouldn’t mind having Winslow for sure but I don’t think Iggy/ 2024 pick gets you Winslow. JMO.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#15 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:41 am

If Durant leaves with nothing coming back that salary slot is gone. That has a lot of potential value that you seem to be dismissing.

I would have rather kept the 2024 pick too, but it had to cost something to keep that salary slot.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#16 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 am

azwfan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

So you would have rather kept Iguodala and the 2024 1st? Cause we didn't have a Jae Crowder to get Winslow.

You are aware that Memphis gave up more than Iguodala to get Winslow - right? They also gave up Crowder. And Crowder played close to 30mpg for Miami, while Iguodala played more like 20mpg. I think its safe to say it was more Crowder for Winslow than Iguodala for Winslow. The Iguodala part was more or less filler for taking Waiters' contract.

that had nothing to do with the Iggy deal, Memphis threw in Crowder to unload the Hill contract, it was a salary dump/match. the meat of bones of the trade was Winslow for Iggy.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:49 am

Scoots1994 wrote:

If Durant leaves with nothing coming back that salary slot is gone. That has a lot of potential value that you seem to be dismissing.

I would have rather kept the 2024 pick too, but it had to cost something to keep that salary slot.

i don't care about the salary slot, I care about the actual asset, Winslow at 12 mil a yr is an infinitely more valuable asset than Wiggins at 30 mil a pop
clyde21
RealGM

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:52 am

The Maestro wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

I wouldn’t mind having Winslow for sure but I don’t think Iggy/ 2024 pick gets you Winslow. JMO.

huh? Memphis just got Winslow for Iggy, and the 2024 pick is the one we gave up to UNLOAD Iggy to make the DLo trade happen.

my entire point is that no, we didn't HAVE to do the trade.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#19 » by mos_def » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:22 am

clyde21 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:Winslow .

Ive never seen the infatuation with Justise Winslow...like ever. His shooting percentages suck. In some years his wins % has actually been in the negative. He's a good defensive player but I just don't see why he keeps being brought up
clyde21
RealGM

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:23 am

mos_def wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:Winslow .

Ive never seen the infatuation with Justise Winslow...like ever. His shooting percentages suck. In some years his wins % has actually been in the negative. He's a good defensive player but I just don't see why he keeps being brought up

...and you've seen it with Wiggins? :-?

Return to Golden State Warriors