Weaver becomes the 4th Sam Presti assistant to land a GM gig

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Weaver becomes the 4th Sam Presti assistant to land a GM gig 

Post#1 » by flow » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:28 pm

So how have the first three fared?

1. Rich Cho to Blazers 2010, fired 2011. To Charlotte 2011, fired 2018.

2. Rob Hennigan to Magic 2012, fired 2017.

3. Michael Winger to Clippers 2017 (GM title, but not full control).

* Not implying anything negative here, and haven't researched the three guys. Even if they all sucked, doesn't mean Weaver will. But it's fair to look at a guy's 'tree' lineage in assessing a hire / potential hire.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Re: Weaver becomes the 4th Sam Presti assistant to land a GM gig 

Post#2 » by Drwho17 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:09 pm

I don't think it matters, other than he comes from a somewhat successful organization. Presti was making the decisions, we don't know how a Troy Weaver draft would have turned out. I wouldn't tie him to the other guys either. Just like everything else we will have to wait and see, although he will probably just being doing the stuff Stefanski doesn't want to, while Stefanski will handle the fun GM stuff, like trades/picks, so even after he's done we may not know if he was any good or not.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Rich Cho and Rob Hennigan both have pretty damning records with their respective teams.

It means nothing for Weaver.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#4 » by flow » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:34 pm

I was trying to tell myself that just because every Bill Belichick assistant sucked as a head coach before Patricia, it doesn't mean Patricia will, too. I'm still holding my breath.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 180

Post#5 » by JNewton » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 pm

flow wrote:I was trying to tell myself that just because every Bill Belichick assistant sucked as a head coach before Patricia, it doesn't mean Patricia will, too. I'm still holding my breath.

Yeah, the track record is not particularly encouraging, but Weaver isn't a retread. That's pretty much all I was hoping for here (assuming he has legitimate authority). Admittedly it's not a lot to go on, but I've seen more to be encouraged by regarding the Pistons in the last 6 months than I have in the entire previous decade.

Return to Detroit Pistons