Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Prospect Spotlight -- Obi Toppin 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 7, 2020 2:14 am

Obi Toppin, PF, Dayton | Sophomore

Height
: 6’9” | Weight: 220 | Age: 22 | Last Rank: 10

Typically, 22-year-old prospects don’t get much benefit of the doubt in the lottery. But in a down draft, Toppin has positioned himself to buck the trend after a prolific season at Dayton. Keeping perspective here is important—he’s a gifted offensive player, and a lot of what he does should translate, but he also dominated in a league where few teams could effectively counter his athleticism or take advantage of his weaknesses defensively. Toppin needs to add lower body strength and doesn’t move all that well laterally right now, both of which will have to improve for him to keep doing what he’s doing against NBA bodies. He might be best off playing alongside another big, rather than at center, where teams will attack him in space. But it‘s hard to bash a guy who made 70% on two-point attempts, dunks everything, and has range out to the three-point line. Lottery teams with an immediate need up front will have to consider him early.
SI.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Obi Toppin 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 7, 2020 2:24 am

OBI TOPPIN
Big, Dayton, redshirt sophomore

Pure athlete who runs the floor with grace and jumps with explosive power.
Shades Of: Amar’e Stoudemire (on offense), Jahlil Okafor (on defense)

Age------------------------22.1
Wingspan-----------------6'11''
Height---------------------6'9''
Weight--------------------220

PLUSES
  • Glides through the air for ferocious dunks; he’s a major threat in the pick-and-roll, cutting, and running the break. He also possesses a soft touch with either hand around the rim.
  • Nimble ball handler who can attack from the perimeter; he’ll be a weapon in fake dribble handoffs since he can facilitate, shoot, or get to the basket.
  • Good shooter from NBA 3-point range, but he hasn’t fallen in love with his shot like many modern bigs.
  • Strong playmaker. He makes quick decisions out of the short roll and could develop into a playmaking hub from the post.
  • Has the leaping ability and quickness to theoretically be an effective shot blocker.

MINUSES
  • Brutal pick-and-roll defender who displays little recognition or feel for reading a screen; he’s almost always out of position.
  • High center of gravity limits his defensive ability in the post. He’ll often get pushed around for low-post positioning—Zion would bury him under the rim.
  • Doesn’t change directions well laterally; he has tight hips, which means NBA offenses will attack him relentlessly one-on-one.
  • Poor help defender and rebounder who doesn’t play with great awareness or effort.
  • Lacks an arsenal of low-post scoring moves and is raw shooting off the dribble.
The Ringer
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Thu May 7, 2020 3:56 am

Him and his family made it well known they want to be Golden State Warriors..lol
He seems to be the most polished guy to take top 4.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#4 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu May 7, 2020 12:32 pm

I'm not a fan but you can't deny his productivity and athleticism. His age is a big red flat. I don't want the Hawks to draft him, but if the Hawks don't want to pay John Collins after next year, then Obi could be a good move financially. If that happens, I would want to see the Hawks trade Collins for another lottery pick before they draft Obi.

On another note, if the Hawks want to draft a PF/C, I have Jalen Smith ranked ahead of Obi. Jalen's number are better than Obi's numbers across the board and Smith is 2 years younger.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 pm

This kid does feel like a Schlenk type of player. Adept at shooting, dribbling and passing. The same age as the rest of the core. Able to play both front court spots.

2020 NBA Draft prospects: Scouting reports, player comparisons for top 10 on updated Big Board

A look at this year's top-10 prospects, their skills, and who they compare to at the NBA level

6. Obi Toppin, Dayton

PF | 6-9 | 220

STRENGTHS
Dynamic athlete with incredible leaping ability; can impact the game playing above the rim (led college basketball in dunks last season)

Efficient shooter from inside the perimeter and effective from outside, too. He shot 41.7% from 3-point range during his time at Dayton.

Underrated passer and playmaker from his position who is quickly able to read defenses and make accurate passes when necessary

WEAKNESSES

Limited mobility moving laterally will hinder his ability to defend on the perimeter and switch onto more mobile wings and forwards

Explosive leaper, but physically he will have challenges matching up against bigger forwards in the post in the NBA

Average rebounder, especially for a player his size and at his position

PRO COMPARISON: Blake Griffin
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Sam Vecenie wrote:I see Toppin playing both the 4 and the 5 in his career, and the team that picks him should plan on utilizing him that way. And simply put, the biggest overlap here is with Love Collins...But I’m not sure it’ll stop them from picking the best player on the board for them, either.

Now, would I pick Toppin? I would not. If there’s one thing I can’t emphasize enough, Toppin has very real questions on the defensive front. Particularly, I’m worried about how he’s going to defend in space due to his hip flexibility (sliding defensively and staying in front often involves being able to quickly drop your hips and cutting off the driving angle). Then as a rim protector, Toppin just doesn’t have the length he needs to be able to be a primary guy at center on that end of the floor. He’s a bit too much of a tweener.

Still, I wouldn’t totally rule him out, if only because Toppin is an absolutely terrific offensive player and one who would only help the development of the guards in the backcourt due to the versatility of his game. He can play in ball-screens and dribble hand-offs due to his dexterity as a ball-handler and his unique body control for such an explosive athlete. He can be a monstrous roller to the rim who would require the constant attention of defenders due to his explosive leaping ability, or he could be a terrific pick-and-pop threat due to his quick release jumper and clean mechanics that allowed him to shoot 39 percent from 3 this year.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 23, 2020 2:45 pm

2020 NBA Draft Big Board:

11. OBI TOPPIN, Big, Dayton

While it’s not always an indicator of professional success, there is something to be said for productivity in the college ranks. Obi Toppin was the National Player of the Year, despite playing for a small-scale school in Dayton. He transformed Dayton into a genuine title contender, which is no small accomplishment.

Toppin provides tremendous versatility on offense. He’s a bit of a tweener positionally, but he should have no trouble adjusting in the NBA. He can score in isolation, he can space the floor, and he’s one of the most explosive finishers in the draft. He can conform to whatever his team needs.

The main concern for Toppin is defense. He lacks a degree of lateral quickness, and has a tendency to chase turnovers, which leaves him compromised against quicker opponents. Even so, he’s not a zero on defense, and he should provide enough offensively to contribute right away in the NBA.
Philly Fansided

2020 NBA Draft Big Board:

13. Obi Toppin, Dayton: Forward, 6-foot-9, 22 years old

Toppin, the most prolific dunker in college basketball, is currently averaging 1.17 points per possession on offense. That ranks second-best among D-I players who have finished at least 400 possessions thus far, per Synergy. The high-volume finisher has helped Dayton make a case for being the most exciting team in college basketball this season. The bad news, however, is that Toppin likely can be played off the floor during big moments due to his poor defensive instincts. His pick-and-roll coverage is easy to criticize, and his measurable statistics when guarding opponents don't do him any favors, either. Despite that, his box plus-minus ranks as the best among all players at mid-major schools. For a big man, he projects as a solid role player and likely starter.
USA Today

Obi Toppin, Dayton

The redshirt sophomore loves to play above the rim and is a major pick-and-roll threat; he can also handle the rock and shoot as well. His weakness is on defense–just about everything to do with defense. He’s not a good individual defender, gets exposed in pick-and-rolls and doesn’t help his teammates very well either. He’ll need to work to improve on that end to become a complete player.
Milwaukee Fansided
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 23, 2020 3:40 pm

2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Scouting Pros and Cons for Top 50 Players

7. Obi Toppin (Dayton, PF, Sophomore)

Pros
College basketball's Player of the Year, Obi Toppin has drawn praise from NBA teams who buy his athleticism around the basket, scoring skills in the post and expanding shooting range.

He led the nation in dunks and shot 76.7 percent around the rim. Overpowering with his back to the basket, Toppin also became a threat from behind the arc, hitting 32 threes at a 39.0 percent clip.

Along with his inside-out scoring, he routinely delivered slick passes that should continue to be a part of his game.

Cons
Already 22 years old, Toppin is the age of most seniors.

He left a lot to be desired on defense, where his effort, reaction time and perimeter foot speed were often exposed. His 14.5 rebounding percentage and 4.1 block percentage were low for a player with his size and athletic gifts playing in the Atlantic 10.

Offensively, Toppin relied a lot on his physical tools inside the arc. His delivery trying to create facing up was choppy and unlikely to work early on in the NBA.
Bleacher Report
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#9 » by Spud2nique » Sun May 24, 2020 4:25 am

We already have a better version of Obi in JC. Might be redundant.

Okongwu >Obi
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,954

Post#10 » by shakes0 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:39 pm

Spud2nique wrote:We already have a better version of Obi in JC. Might be redundant.

Okongwu >Obi

the team is pretty awful when we're missing JC so in a weak draft is it really such a bad idea to get another version of him?

If he's BPA i say take him!
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#11 » by Spud2nique » Tue May 26, 2020 5:05 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:We already have a better version of Obi in JC. Might be redundant.

Okongwu >Obi

the team is pretty awful when we're missing JC so in a weak draft is it really such a bad idea to get another version of him?

If he's BPA i say take him!

Oh no doubt. If he’s the BPA, for sure, you could do a lot worse. I like Toppin a lot actually, I guess when I stack him up against Okongwu, I just like Gwu a bit better from a defensive standpoint. It’s hard to predict though I can see Toppin doing really well.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Warriors' five best win-now fits among 2020 NBA Draft prospects

No. 1: SF/PF Obi Toppin, Dayton

Just about every Warriors fan who has done some digging into this year's draft class knows Toppin's name. The forward won both the Wooden and Naismith awards in 2019-20, which are each given to the nation's top collegiate player. Behind the Dayton product, the Flyers were one of the top teams in the country this past season and he offers a rare skillset for a 6-foot-9 player.

Toppin's eye-popping 68.4 true shooting percentage shows his efficiency at all levels of the offense, and the forward would be an ideal second-unit player who could spell either Andrew Wiggins or Draymond Green late in a playoff game. Not to mention, Toppin's parents have said they would like to see him play for Steve Kerr and the Warriors in the NBA. Sounds like a great fit to me.
NBC Sports
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#13 » by CP War Hawks » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm

My issues with Toppin are height and his hip flexibility. i suspect he's between 6-7 to 6-8 w/o shoes. A mannequin has looser hips. I just hate his defensive fit but his finishing ability I'd describe as Collins esque with a bit more diversity.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Obi Toppin PF
Dayton • Soph • 6'9" / 220 lbs

PPG: 20.0
RPG: 7.5
APG: 2.2
3P FG% -- 39%

Obi Toppin is a former zero-star recruit who earned CBS Sports National Player of the Year honors after averaging 20.0 points and 7.5 rebounds while shooting 63.3% from the field and 39.0% from 3-point range this past season. He's a super-athletic forward who dunks everything — he actually led the nation in dunks — and consistently makes jumpers in pick-and-pop situations. Yes, the fact that he's already 22 years old is an issue worth taking into account. But it will not — or, at least, it should not — overshadow the idea that Toppin has a chance to be the most impactful player selected in this draft.
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:57 pm

An excerpt from The Athletic:

Sam Vecenie wrote:Obi Toppin is a mismatch nightmare

Forward/Center, 6-9, 230 pounds, 22 years old
20.0 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 2.2 APG, 63.3 FG%, 39.0 3P%, 70.2 FT%

(W)e’re going to break down Dayton forward and likely top-10 pick Obi Toppin. He was the consensus national player of the year, winning the Naismith and Wooden Awards in addition to the NABC, Oscar Robertson, and Associated Press trophies. He led Dayton to its best season in school history, a remarkable 29-2 campaign that saw it go unbeaten in Atlantic 10 play and drop both of its games in overtime on a neutral ground. This was a team that had genuine national championship hopes, and it’s in large part due to having the best player in college basketball in 2020.

Unsurprisingly, coaches gushed about Toppin, sharing what made him such an incredible college player and such a terrific pro prospect. Here’s the breakdown from the six college coaches I spoke with about Toppin

Spoiler:
Coach #2: Length, athleticism and he’s smart, too. He’s a very smart player, especially on the defensive end. He could block every shot if he wanted, or try to. He doesn’t attempt to, though. He’ll wall up on some shots to try to disrupt you a little bit. Really good off the ball, shot-blocking. He can really pass it.

I think he’s going to be a really good shooter. A really good shooter. Touch, form, stroke. That’s what’s going to make him that much tougher, because you’re going to have to close out hard on him. And he can put the ball on the floor. One dribble and he’s at the basket. I love his potential.

Coach #3: Oh, man. Unbelievable. His ability to see over double teams and make plays breaks games open. He can fling that thing across the court for made 3s. Then if you don’t double the post, he’s spinning baseline and he looks like Amare Stoudemire hanging on the rim. He can catch and shoot 3s in transition. He played so well. He’s incredible. I can’t see him going lower than No. 5. You can make the case for him being No. 3 or No. 2. He’s unbelievable. Total stud.

Coach #4: The best thing about him is that he’s so versatile. He’s great on the boards, he’s a reasonable rim protector, he’s an elite finisher at the rim. He’s quick out of rolls, he sprints to the rim. If you’re not dropping quick, he’s on the rim and catching and finishing. I would say: you can’t give him 3s, you can’t give him midrange jump shots, and you really don’t want him playing above the rim on rolls. He’s kind of good at everything. He’s a really good passer, too. He can really figure stuff out from the post and he’s really good on the floor. He’s the toughest cover we had all year, especially with their system and their guards. He’s really tough to guard.
No surprises that Toppin’s feedback was universally positive. He’s an elite pick-and-roll playmaker due to his vertical explosiveness, his body control, his hands, and speed to get downhill. He’s a good shooter who can knock down shots from distance on pops, on spot-up attempts, and in trailer situations. His in-between game is strong because he can drive it without getting particularly flustered in crowds, adjust his body with ball in hand to maneuver around defenders, and really pass it. He can really pass it from the post, and has shown flashes of the ability to pass it on the move. Then obviously at the rim, it’s game over. If you don’t get a body on him, he’s going up and finishing over the top of everyone due to his elite leaping ability.

For my money, Toppin is a genuinely elite offensive prospect at the big man position. There is very little he doesn’t do well that he’ll be asked to do well. There is maybe a case that Dayton’s offensive scheme put him into better positions than any other coaching staff”s in the NCAA.

Many of the coaches here waved off the defensive concerns as effort-released, and I do think that there is something to that...I do have one big question with him on that end:

Does he has enough hip flexibility to consistently slide and deal with opposing players?

It will be a similar situation to John Collins in Atlanta (who I ultimately think is a pretty good comparison point for the well-rounded nature of Toppin’s offensive game, and the defensive question marks he presents).
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#16 » by Spud2nique » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:13 pm

Toppin is like an young less emphatic Amare as far as dominant power moves but moves like him, not as aggressive. And a mix of Kuzma that just fires away.

Call me old school but I like my guards and wings to fire away on 3’s and the pf/c shoot them only when needed unless your name is Bertans.

I know it’s not in line with the nba trend but I still think an Okongwu defensive big over a Toppin like offensive one.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 505

Post#17 » by raleigh » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:42 am

Spud2nique wrote:Call me old school but I like my guards and wings to fire away on 3’s and the pf/c shoot them only when needed unless your name is Bertans.

Shiver me nimbers! Is it really you Nique? How's Bob?
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#18 » by kg01 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 pm

This tells me all I need to know about Toppin and why he's not a fit here no matter how good he is offensively ...

MINUSES
Brutal pick-and-roll defender who displays little recognition or feel for reading a screen; he’s almost always out of position.
High center of gravity limits his defensive ability in the post. He’ll often get pushed around for low-post positioning—Zion would bury him under the rim.
Doesn’t change directions well laterally; he has tight hips, which means NBA offenses will attack him relentlessly one-on-one.
Poor help defender and rebounder who doesn’t play with great awareness or effort.

Somebody *cough* KingKen *cough* once told me, at the 4, you can't win with players who can't defend. He said it didn't matter how good they were offensively. If they're minus-defenders, they do not help you win.

... hehe, KingSupes is gonna kill me one-a these days. :)
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:03 pm

2020 NBA Draft Buzz

Teams Think Dayton's Obi Toppin Can Go as High as No. 3

After not even earning an invite to last year's NBA combine, Toppin returned to win National College Player of the Year and convert most NBA scouts into believers. Teams are anticipating Toppin skying as high as No. 3 overall on draft night.

We've heard "top four" and "Nos. 3-8" from teams on where the explosive big will go.

It seems like everyone has a high confidence level in Toppin's production carrying over. And teams are putting extra stock into his floor during a draft that's loaded with uncertainty.

Scouts playing devil's advocate frequently raised his defense, age (22) and room for upside as question marks. But the concerns won't be alarming enough for Toppin to slip into the late lottery.

With the Golden State Warriors in win-now mode, and the Cavaliers, Hawks, Knicks, Phoenix Suns and Minnesota Timberwolves likely anxious about improving and less interested in adding another project, Toppin, who's viewed as more NBA-ready than most, figures to have plenty of suitors despite his age.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:37 pm

2020 NBA Draft: First-round prospects who were overlooked as recruits out of high school

Obi Toppin, Dayton

Class (Rank): 2017 (NR)

Obi Toppin is a true zero-to-hero story. In high school he wasn't ranked as a prospect and garnered offers only from Illinois, Dayton, Rhode Island and Mississippi State. He eventually signed with the Flyers.

But he didn't immediately take off from there. Toppin didn't qualify academically to play in his first season. But by 2018-19, as a redshirt freshman, he was surprisingly effective, and his athleticism piqued the interest of NBA suitors. Then by 2019-20, well, the rest is history.

He became the consensus Player of the Year in college basketball last season and looks like a potential top-five pick in this year's draft.

Toppin's appeal centers around his high-flying ways. At 6-foot-9, he glides through the air defying gravity, making an impact above the rim as a lob finisher and shot-swatter. But his upside and NBA potential really hinges on his outside shot that so perfectly complements his game. Having shot 41.7% from 3-point range on 103 attempts in two seasons, he looks like a plug-and-play big man who can stretch the floor and finish lobs in the NBA.
CBS Sports

Return to Atlanta Hawks