ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#1 » by HiRez » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 pm

This is for who you most want the Warriors to pick, in order, not the order you think players will be picked in. Assume they don’t trade their pick. Can be for whatever reasons you want: best player, best fit, ability to contribute right away, future potential, best trade value, whatever. Feel free to add updated lists as you adjust, I know I already have adjusted and probably will again.

Some of the top players and common comps:

SG Anthony Edwards [Dwayne Wade, Victor Oladipo, Donovan Mitchell]
C James Wiseman [Hassan Whiteside, Chris Bosh]
PF/C Onyeka Okongwu [Bam Adebayo, Montrezl Harrel]
PG LaMelo Ball [Spencer Dinwiddie, Shaun Livingston, Jason Williams]
PF Obi Toppin [John Collins, Shawn Marion, Amar’e Stoudemire]
SF Deni Avdija [Dario Saric, Hedo Turkoglu]
SG/SF Isaac Okoro [Justise Winslow, Andre Iguodala, Caron Butler, Kawhi Leonard]
SG Devin Vassell [Robert Covington, Khris Middleton]
PG Tyrese Haliburton [Lonzo Ball, Dejounte Murray]
PG Killian Hayes [Goran Dragić, Malcolm Brogdon, James Harden]
SG/SF Aaron Nesmith [Buddy Hield, Alec Burks, Khris Middleton]
SF/PF Patrick Williams [Chris Singleton, Jeff Green, Markieff Morris]

My current top 5 (Dubs won’t pick below 5):

1. James Wiseman
2. Isaac Okoro
3. Onyeka Okongwu
4. Anthony Edwards
5. Obi Toppin

I love Wiseman’s potential, but I do have some concerns with his range and particularly pick and roll defense. Still, he fills a lot of needs for the Warriors (rim protection, size, rebounding, vertical threat) and would within the first year be a massive upgrade over anyone we have at the C position.

Okoro was maybe the best defender in NCAA, but with offensive upside, high BBIQ, great work ethic. Okoro and Klay would make a great perimeter defensive duo. I see him sort of like an Iguodala, a versatile jack of all trades with slightly worse (but not bad) passing, better finishing. He may not become a superstar, but he may be the player least likely to be a bust in this draft.

If Okongwu is anything like Bam Adebayo as commonly compared to, yes please to that. 2-way player with size and athleticism. High motor is something I always like to see. Excellent defense should translate quickly to NBA, would help Dubs a lot with rebounding.

I was initially pretty down on Edwards but the more I see of this guy the more I can picture him being great on this Warriors team. Elite athlete and scorer with some decent (probably not elite) defensive potential. A small ball lineup of Steph, Klay, Edwards, Wiggins, and Draymond could be devastating. However, does have relatively high bust potential for a top pick and that's why I moved him down a bit. Is he going to be more Donovan Mitchell or more Dion Waiters?

Toppin I have concerns with defensively but he’d pour gasoline on the Warrior’s offense and increase spacing with versatile inside + outside scoring. Would be great in the pick & roll game as he's dangerous in both roles. Good motor, high BBIQ, and consistent production (scored < 15 pts in only 2 of 31 games last year and shot < 50% in only 3 of 31) are plusses as well. He has too many skills useful in the modern NBA to have too low a floor IMO.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#2 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 pm

1. Patrick Williams
2. Deni Avdija
3. Anthony Edwards
4. Saddiq Bey
5. James Wiseman
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#3 » by The Maestro » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:25 pm

1 Wiseman
2 Edwards
3 Vassell
4 P.Williams
5 Bey or Nesmith
CaliWG
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#4 » by CaliWG » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:40 am

1-Edwards
2-Wiseman
3-Nesmith
4-Haliburton
5-Lewis/Vassell/Bey
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#5 » by Kuya » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 am

1. Ball
2. Deni
3. Okoro
4. Okungwu
5. Wiseman
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#6 » by gswhoops » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:13 am

Edwards
Wiseman
Hayes
Okoro
Haliburton

I wouldn't touch Obi or Ball anywhere in the lottery, to be frank.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#7 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:47 pm

At some point Im going to do MY WARRIORS picks for the draft. I think Ill go 20 or 30 deep, but its just based on players for the Warriors.

But since the draft isn't until friggen October, Im going to wait. Needless to say my top pick is Wiseman as you all know by now.

Id probably take Edwards 2nd and hope the Warriors will groom him properly.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#8 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:16 pm

I think this is basically my top 10 or so - right now. Subject to change, a lot.

1. Wiseman
2. Edwards
3. Ball (picked for trade value, not to keep)
4. Okoro
5. Avdija
6. Okongwu
7. Vassell
8. Haliburton
9. Hayes (picked for trade value)
10. Williams
11. Toppin
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#9 » by Little Digger » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

1. the wise man

2. Deni Avdija

3. I don’t care as long as it’s not that lazy a** Edwards
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#10 » by donkeylips » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:07 pm

1. wiseman
2. edwards.
3. deni
4. haliburton
5. hayes or okoro
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#11 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:39 pm

1. Ball
  2. Edwards
  3. Patrick Williams
  4. Pokusevski
  5. Avdija
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#12 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:32 pm

I think I have this right...

In the history of Warriors drafts, the Warriors have only had one successful pick in the draft when drafting a highschool or one and done player ever, Monta Ellis.

Latrell Spreewell, Gilbert Arenas,Curry, Klay, Draymond, Harrison Barnes, Paschall...the only real modern day draft successes have all been multi-year players..the recent core of Klay, Draymond and Curry having three!

A bird in hand (known very good talent) is better than a two in the bush (totally unproven youngster who won't be physically ready for two more years)

If Warriors keep the draft pick...I hope they go for a guy with upside that is ready to plug in ...now.

I think they go for either:
1. Obi Topin
2. Deni Avdija
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#13 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:59 pm

1. Edwards - I think he's the one sure thing in this draft
2. Toppin - I've wavered on him quite a bit, but I think he can help us now and fits our system great
3. Wiseman - Highest risk/reward guy, I worry about him getting abused trying to defend on switches
4. Okoro - this dude has a crazy motor, if he can develop a better shot he'll be unstoppable
5. Hayes - I feel like this kid is going to fill it up, just hope he's not another DLo

Honorable mentions (options if we land the 5th pick or trade down) - Deni, Vassell, Williams, Hali

and in a month when we do this thread for the 3rd time I'll have a completely different top 5 :P
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
CaliWG
Freshman

Post#14 » by CaliWG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 pm

To all the Okoro supporters: why would you draft Okoro instead of just signing Josh Jackson this offseason? By every measure Jackson is the better player. They have the same strengths and weaknesses, except that Jackson is taller, longer, and a better defender. He is also showing signs of actually developing an offensive game. Oh, and he would cost a fraction of what Okoro’s contract will be, even if the Warriors trade down to the 6th or 7th pick to take him.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#15 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 pm

I am a firm believer we need a center due to our interior defensive numbers. The last thing we want is to ruin our outside shooting and ball movement by getting pushed around inside and becoming a layup line.

But I am warming up to the idea of Edwards, he's just one of those elite NBA athletes like an Oladipo or Mitchell.

We definitely need size to matchup with the Lakers and some physicality on the perimeter to match the Clippers. But I do see the route in just having that extra gear to get out and run and out shoot both LA teams. I don't think either can beat us if the pace picks up. That was always what made our death lineups special were we had an extra gear that other teams didn't have. Edwards is really explosive and might give us that ability to run teams off the floor.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#16 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:38 pm

CaliWG wrote:To all the Okoro supporters: why would you draft Okoro instead of just signing Josh Jackson this offseason? By every measure Jackson is the better player. They have the same strengths and weaknesses, except that Jackson is taller, longer, and a better defender. He is also showing signs of actually developing an offensive game. Oh, and he would cost a fraction of what Okoro’s contract will be, even if the Warriors trade down to the 6th or 7th pick to take him.

You’re basically writing Okoro off as being worse than one of the worst busts of the last decade before he even plays a game. A little harsh wouldn’t you say?. And from what I’ve seen in his interviews Okoro is a good kid, whereas Jackson is an all-time NBA dumbass. Besides the arrests and all that ****, Jackson refused to workout with the Celtics in order to go to an NBA graveyard in Phoenix. Basically he was selfish and chose playing time and stat-padding over going to one of the top organizations in the league. Kid is as dumb as they come.

CaliWG
Freshman

Post#17 » by CaliWG » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:31 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
CaliWG wrote:To all the Okoro supporters: why would you draft Okoro instead of just signing Josh Jackson this offseason? By every measure Jackson is the better player. They have the same strengths and weaknesses, except that Jackson is taller, longer, and a better defender. He is also showing signs of actually developing an offensive game. Oh, and he would cost a fraction of what Okoro’s contract will be, even if the Warriors trade down to the 6th or 7th pick to take him.

You’re basically writing Okoro off as being worse than one of the worst busts of the last decade before he even plays a game. A little harsh wouldn’t you say?. And from what I’ve seen in his interviews Okoro is a good kid, whereas Jackson is an all-time NBA dumbass. Besides the arrests and all that ****, Jackson refused to workout with the Celtics in order to go to an NBA graveyard in Phoenix. Basically he was selfish and chose playing time and stat-padding over going to one of the top organizations in the league. Kid is as dumb as they come.

I tend to be low on prospects that have played the wing their entire lives and still aren't able to shoot by the time they are coming into the league. The list of guys who never develop a jumper is much longer than those who do. Its why Kawhi Leonard's name always gets brought up, because he is the exception to the general rule. I would take Nesmith, Vassell, Bey, Lewis, or Williams over Okoro for this reason.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#18 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:57 pm

Bey is a wing with no handles and no quickness, I think he has way bigger flaws than Okoro. I’m fine with him as a mid to late 1st role player type pick, but there’s no upside there. Lewis basically seems like Okoro but with not as good of a motor and a scrawny body. I like Vassell and Williams though. I haven’t seen much Nesmith tbh, isn’t he just a pure shooter?

TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#19 » by TB » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:37 pm

CaliWG wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

I tend to be low on prospects that have played the wing their entire lives and still aren't able to shoot by the time they are coming into the league. The list of guys who never develop a jumper is much longer than those who do. Its why Kawhi Leonard's name always gets brought up, because he is the exception to the general rule. I would take Nesmith, Vassell, Bey, Lewis, or Williams over Okoro for this reason.

Okoro has said that he grew up playing within 5 feet of the hoop because he was bigger and stronger than everyone. So he does not fall into the category you are talking about that has always been a wing.

As a prospect he reminds me of Okongwu in that you are getting an elite role player with 2 things potentially keeping them from being a star:

- not as big as you'd hope, but maybe thats why they are more mobile than most at their position
- can they become a decent shooter for their position

Both are plus athletes, plus defenders, above average and smart offensive players, high character, high effort players. To me they are the safest players in the top 10, i just can't see them not helping teams win in the NBA.
CaliWG
Freshman

Post#20 » by CaliWG » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:51 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Bey is a wing with no handles and no quickness, I think he has way bigger flaws than Okoro. I’m fine with him as a mid to late 1st role player type pick, but there’s no upside there. Lewis basically seems like Okoro but with not as good of a motor and a scrawny body. I like Vassell and Williams though. I haven’t seen much Nesmith tbh, isn’t he just a pure shooter?

If there's a player that has the potential to eventually replace Klay it could be Nesmith. He has more to his game than just shooting as he does finish effectively around the rim, and he's more explosive off the floor than Klay. His movement off the ball on offense is unlike what you'll see from most prospects and is very reminiscent of what Klay does in the Warriors system. And though defense isn't his main attribute, he has the size, athleticism, and shows the effort to play defense. Frankly, his defense is behind Okoro's, but his offense is light years ahead of Okoro's. The advanced metrics say Nesmith should be a top 5 pick, but he's being treated much like Klay was in the 2011 Draft.

https://youtu.be/7uuiGxkbMKk?t=154

Return to Golden State Warriors