ImageImageImage

Constructing the Timberwolves rotation

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#481 » by Jedzz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:02 am

shrink wrote:For the record, I did not say LeVert was worth our 2020 pick. I was pointing out the type of young assets that a rebuilding team might prefer to the 25 year old LeVert.

I'll quote your post for you. You sound like you are trying to suggest he's good for here, even suggesting he would push Beasley out of starting lineup here. :lol: Also say you could see us sending away youth and picks for him and to help knicks get Beal. You have one line in all of that talking about how teams may not want a 25 year old for their situation and that makes him available to us. Adding to that his injury history that ...makes him affordable to us... as if hes' too good for that price range otherwise. This is you suggesting he's a fit here with great upside and a doable trade including Wolves picks, no?

shrink wrote:I like the idea of Caris LeVert.

I feel like he was on his way to stardom until he had that gruesome injury - he Nets clearly liked him better than “all star” Russell. It’s hard to find teams willing to trade young players with star potential, but the Nets and Kyrie/Durant are “win now or bust!”, and Dinwiddie is tight with Irving and unlikely to be traded, so LeVert is their best trade asset to improve that team. His injuries and bad luck keep him in our price range for trade assets.

Levert’s also locked up for three years on a salary I can accept ($16,203,704 $17,500,000 $18,796,296). He shot over 38% on three pointers, and has the athleticism and length to be a good defender. It might mean Beasley gets pushed to sixth man, or we lose him entirely because someone else wants to pay him to be a starter, but I think the higher ceiling is worth it.

At age 25, I think he fits with us, but may appeal less to a team trading an older star for a chance to rebuild. For example, I could see a trade where WAS decides they need to finally rebuild, and make a three way where Nets add Beal, MIN gets LeVert, WAS gets some of our youth/picks.

How about this. Nets add Beal, WAS gets LeVert along with whatever else the knicks can send. Afterall Levert has such a high ceiling and old man 26 year old 6'3" Beal has done nothing so far to carry Washington anywhere special. Twolves can just stay out of it entirely.

Levert does appear to have shown a much improved 3pt shot from his three prior seasons. Getting it up to 38% from previous lows of 31 or 34% is a nice achievement. His TS of this same year being at his low of .509 is a little concerning. But he kind of seems like an Andrew Wiggins without the former #1 overall hanging over his head. 6-8 and just over 200 pounds. He's averaged 25 minutes a game in these 4 years, maybe the shot is starting to come around. I would agree 16/17 a season is better than 31-35 a season. For a 20-25th range pick to show a good leap in 3pt percentage is pretty good sighn I guess. Or maybe it's just early in the shortened season. Wait, he played as much as he has in most seasons. Roughly half the games. Not sure, send them young players we have no room for maybe. Wouldn't be sending top 15 picks for a top 20 player from 2016 that averages 45 games a season and at best 17 points on 30 mins a game. Tough sell for me. If they think he's a perfect fit here and have to have him, then trade a young player and a 2nd rounder. But I don't see how he's good enough to push Beasley to 6th man. Where is the evidence of that?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#482 » by minimus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Read on Twitter

We. Need. Slashers. Who. Can. Finish. At. Rim.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#483 » by shrink » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:17 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Being average at one skill is a “real problem?” Especially with all the good stuff he brings? And at only $3.7 mil?

I really have no idea why you follow and repost this guy.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#484 » by minimus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:44 pm

It looks we are trying to build an identity that in offense is perfect antidote for opponent deep drop defensive scheme AND should be a well executed deep drop defense to make other team adjust their offense. Let me explain. I watched this video:

Our "five out" offense built around exceptional shooting and passing skills of KAT and DLo will have enough good shooting opportunities to score efficiently from 3pt and make opponent adjust. Moreover, deep drop scheme is built around physical presence of "oversized" bigs such as Lopez at С, Giannis at PF etc. However, a properly implemented "pace and space", running smalball team will put slow bigs on clinic in transition. Thats why getting an athletic, mobile PF is key for us.

On other hand to make our system work in defense we need our version of Giannis type player at PF. Lopez is willing 3pt shooter because in their offensive scheme they need to mitigate Giannis lack of 3pt shooting. This is the way offense and defense are connected. Below videos of Isaac and Gordon against MIL. They both struggled mightily which is not a surprise since they played only one shooter Fournier in starting five. Birch-Gordon-Isaac-Fournier-Fultz unit invites you to clog the paint. Still Isaac had in one game 5, in another game without Giannis he had 7 steals.

minimus
RealGM

Post#485 » by minimus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:52 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Being average at one skill is a “real problem?” Especially with all the good stuff he brings? And at only $3.7 mil?

Well, Layman is average at many things, for instance passing, rebounding, defending, shooting slashing. But finishing at rim is a real problem since he cant create off the dribble. Also it is indication for whole team that we lack athletic bigs and wings. It is not surprise since we have guys like Dieng, Reid, Juancho, Layman, Graham, RoCo playing at C/PF.

P.S. Jake Paynting has started recently a podcast and have found some good things about MIN.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#486 » by shrink » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:24 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, Layman is average at many things, for instance passing, rebounding, defending, shooting slashing. But finishing at rim is a real problem since he cant create off the dribble. Also it is indication for whole team that we lack athletic bigs and wings. It is not surprise since we have guys like Dieng, Reid, Juancho, Layman, Graham, RoCo playing at C/PF.

P.S. Jake Paynting has started recently a podcast and have found some good things about MIN.

Are you Jake Paynting? This seems to me to be the only reason you’d defend 40th and 48th percentile as “a real problem,” and not “average.”

And guess what? If you can get “average” for 40% of the price of the average NBA salary, that’s a bargain. Despite your trades, a real NBA team can’t afford to make a team full of stars. Yes, Layman isn’t a star - and that should not be your expectation, or Paynting’s yardstick.

For the record, one thing Layman is not average at is .. playing next to Towns. Layman has one of the best Net Rtgs with Towns on the team. Is “overall play with your star” an important quality to not be average at?

This is not a mirage. The stats back up what Ryan Saunders has said since he was acquired. Layman’s constant cutting really makes the Wolves run. He is not a star - he is a catalyst for the team.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#487 » by minimus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:42 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:Being average at one skill is a “real problem?” Especially with all the good stuff he brings? And at only $3.7 mil?

Are you Jake Paynting? This seems to me to be the only reason you’d defend 40th and 48th percentile as “a real problem,” and not “average.”

And guess what? If you can get “average” for a price of 40% of the average NBA salary, that’s a bargain. Despite your trades, a real NBA team can’t afford to make a team full of stars. Yes, Layman isn’t a star - and that should not be your expectation, or Paynting’s yardstick.

For the record, one thing Layman is not average at is .. playing next to Towns. Layman has one of the best Net Rtgs with Towns on the team. Is “overall play with your star” an important quality to not be average at?

This is not a mirage. The stats back up what Ryan Saunders has said since he was acquired. Layman’s constant cutting really makes the Wolves run. He is not a star - he is a catalyst for the team.

Well, I agree that Layman fits well in our system, his contract is bargain. However, our system lacks quality slashers, finishers at rim and Layman doesn't help here. I think it will be addressed via draft and FA market. Layman is only a role player, who is very important for our team. The real problem is that MIN for years doesn't have bench depth. Layman is the only one realible wing in our rotation.

P.S. Jake Paynting is from Australia, I am from Kazakhstan :)
minimus
RealGM

Post#488 » by minimus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Excellent video about drop scheme etc.

As I said before our five out offense is a perfect antidote against such drop scheme. However, we need to improve our communication in defense in order to build top15 defense around KAT. Sure, we need athletic, longarmed defender, but I dont see us defending well if KAT is not directing defense and wings are not helping/rotating properly.
minimus
RealGM

Post#489 » by minimus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 am

Good article:

https://awolfamongwolves.com/how-impactful-could-a-towns-and-russell-pick-and-roll-tandem-truly-be/

Perhaps Russell’s effectiveness as a pick-and-roll ball-handler will increase when playing alongside a more effective pick-and-roll big. Last season – when playing in Brooklyn – Russel ranked in the 66.7 percentile when playing alongside Jarrett Allen – who was in the 62nd percentile among bigs – and running 3.7 pick-and-roll possessions per game.

Having a quality roll-man is as beneficial for Russell in the pick-and-roll, as it is with every other ball-handler in the NBA.

A quality roll-man usually is bigger, taller than opponent: see Jarrett Allen, DeAndre Jordan, AD etc. It just logical consequence because it is much easier to finish at rim, when your rolling man is bigger, taller than opponent. GSW partially workarounded, modified this play, by implementing short rolls, when Draymond Green works as rolling man, but quickly makes an extra pass to open shooter or cutter or player in dunker spot. It seems to be an interesting solution for us. Both KAT and Reid are good passers and mobile enough to make this play work. We still need good finishers at rim though.
minimus
RealGM

Post#490 » by minimus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Good article about Jake Layman first year in MIN.

https://www.canishoopus.com/2020/6/24/21296678/offseason-outlook-jake-layman-nba-offseason

To sum up: we need a lot of help at PF/SF positions. We need to find starting PF and SF, ideally our starters at PF and SF should be either elite finishers at rim and average 3pt shooters or vice versa. They also must be above average defenders.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#491 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am

Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:For the record, I did not say LeVert was worth our 2020 pick. I was pointing out the type of young assets that a rebuilding team might prefer to the 25 year old LeVert.

I'll quote your post for you. You sound like you are trying to suggest he's good for here, even suggesting he would push Beasley out of starting lineup here. :lol: Also say you could see us sending away youth and picks for him and to help knicks get Beal. You have one line in all of that talking about how teams may not want a 25 year old for their situation and that makes him available to us. Adding to that his injury history that ...makes him affordable to us... as if hes' too good for that price range otherwise. This is you suggesting he's a fit here with great upside and a doable trade including Wolves picks, no?

shrink wrote:I like the idea of Caris LeVert.

I feel like he was on his way to stardom until he had that gruesome injury - he Nets clearly liked him better than “all star” Russell. It’s hard to find teams willing to trade young players with star potential, but the Nets and Kyrie/Durant are “win now or bust!”, and Dinwiddie is tight with Irving and unlikely to be traded, so LeVert is their best trade asset to improve that team. His injuries and bad luck keep him in our price range for trade assets.

Levert’s also locked up for three years on a salary I can accept ($16,203,704 $17,500,000 $18,796,296). He shot over 38% on three pointers, and has the athleticism and length to be a good defender. It might mean Beasley gets pushed to sixth man, or we lose him entirely because someone else wants to pay him to be a starter, but I think the higher ceiling is worth it.

At age 25, I think he fits with us, but may appeal less to a team trading an older star for a chance to rebuild. For example, I could see a trade where WAS decides they need to finally rebuild, and make a three way where Nets add Beal, MIN gets LeVert, WAS gets some of our youth/picks.

How about this. Nets add Beal, WAS gets LeVert along with whatever else the knicks can send. Afterall Levert has such a high ceiling and old man 26 year old 6'3" Beal has done nothing so far to carry Washington anywhere special. Twolves can just stay out of it entirely.

Levert does appear to have shown a much improved 3pt shot from his three prior seasons. Getting it up to 38% from previous lows of 31 or 34% is a nice achievement. His TS of this same year being at his low of .509 is a little concerning. But he kind of seems like an Andrew Wiggins without the former #1 overall hanging over his head. 6-8 and just over 200 pounds. He's averaged 25 minutes a game in these 4 years, maybe the shot is starting to come around. I would agree 16/17 a season is better than 31-35 a season. For a 20-25th range pick to show a good leap in 3pt percentage is pretty good sighn I guess. Or maybe it's just early in the shortened season. Wait, he played as much as he has in most seasons. Roughly half the games. Not sure, send them young players we have no room for maybe. Wouldn't be sending top 15 picks for a top 20 player from 2016 that averages 45 games a season and at best 17 points on 30 mins a game. Tough sell for me. If they think he's a perfect fit here and have to have him, then trade a young player and a 2nd rounder. But I don't see how he's good enough to push Beasley to 6th man. Where is the evidence of that?

Levert an easy choice over Beasley for me.
minimus
RealGM

Post#492 » by minimus » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:25 pm

From what I see Rosas and Co are using two different approaches to fill our roster with talent:

* - get physically gifted players who cant shoot and develop them. Examples: Vanderbilt, Culver, Okogie. It is easy to see that if any player of this group, will develop consistent 3pt shoot will be at least a solid starter.
* - get players who can shoot and develop them. Shooting does not always translate well from college level to NBA. But the risk is worth the gamble. Examples: JMac, Nowell, Martin, Reid.

Both approaches are very risky, but might bring the most value out of our draft capital and under radar FAs. A few years ago there was another approach:

* - get size advantage, in order to use it against smaller teams. Example, Thibs continuously giving big contracts to players based purely on size: Aldrich, Hill, Dieng, Shabazz. Nowadays size advantage alone is not enough, usually it should be size and shooting (Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol), or size and mobility/quickness (Giannis, AD) or size and passing/IQ (Jokic, Nurkic)

If I look at Cristian Wood, Siakam, Kawhi, Giannis development path it was worth waiting 3-4 yrs, before young player starts to contribute. In some cases you can get an immediate impact from rookie: see Duncan Robinson, Tyler Herro, Nunn (technically not a rookie). Other candidates for us to scout:

* - Dragan Bender
* - De’Anthony Melton
* - Nerlens Noel
* - Derrick Jones Jr.
* - Bruno Caboclo
* - Willie Cauley-Stein
minimus
RealGM

Post#493 » by minimus » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:15 pm

minimus
RealGM

Post#494 » by minimus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm

minimus
RealGM

Post#495 » by minimus » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:05 pm

I've posted two photos of Vanderbilt, because this is an example of how this dramatic COVID situation can affect development trajectory of MIN. Let me explain. Usually NBA players have really short period of time in offseason to develop their body. Veterans try to improve stamina and functional muscles, while young player try to develop strong muscles core, frame. Without hiatus it would have been around seven months of offseason, now it looks that it will be around ten month of offseason work for MIN. Three months more that can be used to implement individual trainings for players in order to improve their physical tools. It might be a significant difference. A few of examples:

* - Naz Reid. During draft process Naz was described as fat, weak young player who had injury concern. When he became our starting С, his 3pt shooting was awful. I believe it was stamina problem. Athletically he can improve a lot: stamina, core strength. Naz has impressive footwork, he has good mobility. Thats a solid good foundation.

* - Culver. He has already started to gain muscles. Which can be beneficial since Jarrett has very quick hands, strong legs and hips. He has long wingspan, elite 45 Inch vertical. He has already a few impressive poster dunks. He was around 195 lbs when season started, adding 15-20lbs would help him to defend SFs, and improve his finishing ability. He missed a lot of shots at rim, when he faced resistance from opponent. If he can defend big wings, fix at least FTs and convert shots at rim, he has all chances to be an impactful player.

* - Vanderbilt has lately bulked up a lot. He has already had a well developed upper body before joining MIN, now it is even more impressive. He has elite quickness, motor, aggressiveness, rebounding instincts. Although the big question about him was lower body strength and core strength which can help him greatly to avoid injuries. Even without 3pt shot, his rebounding, passing and motor are very needed in MIN. If he can stay healthy, his development as basketball player (not only athlete) might surprise us. He missed a lot of time with injures, he was quasi disconnected from organised basketball, hence his basketball awareness is low. Just keeping him in our development environment might be very beneficial for him.

If I were Rosas I'd invest a lot of money in the best athletic trainers who can develop and implement individual trainings for our young players. Maybe not for whole ten months period, at least for first part when there are few team trainings. From three examples above we can get backup С, backup PF and backup SF/SG. I can imagine these players playing very well next season. Although these are the most evident examples to me. JMac, Nowell, Okogie, Juancho, Martin have already well developed athletic tools, but they also can improve in many areas.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#496 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 pm

One thing I will say regarding the young players is that Rosas has always talked about player development being an important part of this program going forward. It'll just be interesting to see if those developing players will be seeing court time in Minnesota more often, or if they will try to find upgrades on the open market. The latter seemed to be what he learned in Houston, but Minnesota doesn't really have the same market advantages as Houston to bring in the same caliber of veterans.

It is possible for Minnesota to keep guys like McLaughlin, Culver, Vanderbilt and Reid on the second unit going forward, but I do believe an upgrade in performance will be necessary for that group (and the starters) in order for the franchise to take another step forward.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#497 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Klomp wrote:One thing I will say regarding the young players is that Rosas has always talked about player development being an important part of this program going forward. It'll just be interesting to see if those developing players will be seeing court time in Minnesota more often, or if they will try to find upgrades on the open market. The latter seemed to be what he learned in Houston, but Minnesota doesn't really have the same market advantages as Houston to bring in the same caliber of veterans.

It is possible for Minnesota to keep guys like McLaughlin, Culver, Vanderbilt and Reid on the second unit going forward, but I do believe an upgrade in performance will be necessary for that group (and the starters) in order for the franchise to take another step forward.

This is actually one of my favorite aspects of the roster at this point, and also a reason why I wouldn't be too upset with a Booker trade if consummated.

Let's say a Booker deal involves Beasley, Johnson, Culver, and our first round picks....

Russell / McLaughlin
Booker / Nowell / Evans
Okogie / Layman / Martin
Hernangomez / Vanderbilt
Towns / Reid / Spellman

Even with taking out 3-5 depth pieces for this trade, it's still a decent amount of youth and potential on the roster. Is it a title contender from Day 1? Probably not. Does it have to be one in order to justify the trade in my mind? Absolutely not.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#498 » by minimus » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Klomp wrote:Let's say a Booker deal involves Beasley, Johnson, Culver, and our first round picks....

Russell / McLaughlin
Booker / Nowell / Evans
Okogie / Layman / Martin
Hernangomez / Vanderbilt
Towns / Reid / Spellman

Even with taking out 3-5 depth pieces for this trade, it's still a decent amount of youth and potential on the roster. Is it a title contender from Day 1? Probably not. Does it have to be one in order to justify the trade in my mind? Absolutely not.

If Rosas can find a promising defensive-minded PF by using his scouting (gleague, non drafted FAs, SRP), it will look even more intriguing. Let say we draft Xavier Tillman at #33.

Russell / McLaughlin
Booker / Nowell / Evans
Okogie / Layman / Martin
Hernangomez / Vanderbilt / Tillman
Towns / Reid / Spellman
minimus
RealGM

Post#499 » by minimus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:52 am

I have tried to analyze our roster from this point: how dynamic is every position of our roster in the offense? How much offense can generate every position? Where static is around 0, dynamic is 5. Every position has also an impact rate. I gave 15 impact points for all five positions, so I could give every position impact rate, not more than 15 in all.

C: KAT/Reid

***** (5) - shooting/rim-runner/roll man
**** (5) - passing/decision-making
***** (5) - slashing/ballhandling
***(3) - experience

Position impact rate = 5
Sum: 18*5=90

PF: JJ/Juancho/Vanderbilt

**** (4) - shooting/rim-runner/roll man
**** (3) - passing/decision-making
**** (4) - slashing/ballhandling
***(4) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 15*1=14

SF: Culver/Layman/Martin

** (2) - shooting/offball
** (2) - passing/decision-making
** (2) - slashing/ballhandling
** (2) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 8*1=8

SG: Beasley/Okogie/Nowell

**** (4) - shooting/offball
*** (3) - passing/decision-making
*** (3) - slashing/ballhandling
** (2) - experience

Position impact rate = 3
Sum: 12*3=36

PG: DLo/JMac

**** (5) - shooting/offball
*** (5) - passing/decision-making
*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 5
Sum: 16*5=80

Total dynamic score is 90+15+8+36+80=229

Usually, offense impact from C/PF spots is less important that from SF/SG position, while SG/PG are the most important in terms of dynamic. But every team tries to play their strength, give the ball to the best players. That's why I have given С and PG position the highest impact rate.

Let's compare our roster with the best NBA teams:

DAL

C: KP/Powell/Marjanovic

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 4
Sum: 17*4=68

PF: Doncic/Kleber

***** (5) - passing/decision-making
***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 5
Sum: 20*5=100

SF: Finney-Smith/Jackson

*** (3) - shooting/offball
** (2) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 11*1=1

SG: Hardawy JR/Lee/Curry

***** (5) - shooting/offball
**** (4) - experience

Position impact rate = 3
Sum: 15*3=45

PG: Wright/Brunson

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 2
Sum: 13*2=26

Total dynamic score is 68+100+11+45+26=250

DEN

C: Jokic/Plumlee

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 5

PF: Grant/Millsap

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 2
Sum: 15*2=30

SF: MPJ/Craig

** (2) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 10*1=1

SG: Harris/Burton

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 2

PG: Murray/Morris

**** (4) - passing/decision-making
**** (4) - experience

Position impact rate = 5
Sum: 17*5=85

Total dynamic score is 100+30+10+30+85=255

MIA

C: Adebayo/Olynik/Leonard

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 5

PF: Bulter/Jones Jr/Leonard

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 5
Sum: 19*5=95

SF: Iggy/Robinson/Crowder

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 17*1=1

SG: Nunn/Herro

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 2
Sum: 14*2=28

PG: Dragic/Nunn

***** (4) - shooting/offball
**** (3) - slashing/ballhandling
**** (4) - experience

Position impact rate = 2
Sum: 16*2=32

Total dynamic score is 90+95+17+28+32=260

To sum up:

MIA offensive rating by dynamic: 260
DEN offensive rating by dynamic: 255
DAL offensive rating by dynamic: 250

MIN offensive rating by dynamic: 229

I think the biggest areas for improvements in MIN are by far are:

* - experience
* - slashing ability

I don't see us trading for solid veteran FA who is a quality ballhandler, these type of players are usually very expensive (Jrue Holiday, Beal, Oladipo). But we can for sure try to gamble on young, promising players such as Aaron Gordon, Caris LeVert.

I also don't see us passing on Edwards and Hayes, if we keep top3 pick. And it is clear that we have a lot of potential in Vanderbilt, Nowell, Culver, Okogie, Reid, and JMac. I highly doubt that we will tank next season because these guys need playoff experience badly, it might accelerate the development a lot.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#500 » by Jedzz » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:09 am

minimus wrote:I have tried to analyze our roster from this point: how dynamic is every position of our roster in the offense? How much offense can generate every position? Where static is around 0, dynamic is 5. Every position has also an impact rate. I gave 15 impact points for all five positions, so I could give every position impact rate, not more than 15 in all.

C: KAT/Reid

**** (5) - passing/decision-making
***(3) - experience

Position impact rate = 5

PF: JJ/Juancho/Vanderbilt

**** (3) - passing/decision-making
***(4) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 15*1=14

SF: Culver/Layman/Martin

** (2) - shooting/offball
** (2) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 8*1=8

SG: Beasley/Okogie/Nowell

** (2) - experience

Position impact rate = 3
Sum: 12*3=36

PG: DLo/JMac

**** (5) - shooting/offball
*** (5) - passing/decision-making
*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 5
Sum: 16*5=80

Total dynamic score is 90+15+8+36+80=229

Usually, offense impact from C/PF spots is less important that from SF/SG position, while SG/PG are the most important in terms of dynamic. But every team tries to play their strength, give the ball to the best players. That's why I have given С and PG position the highest impact rate.

Let's compare our roster with the best NBA teams:

DAL

C: KP/Powell/Marjanovic

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 4
Sum: 17*4=68

PF: Doncic/Kleber

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 5

SF: Finney-Smith/Jackson

** (2) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 11*1=1

SG: Hardawy JR/Lee/Curry

**** (4) - experience

Position impact rate = 3
Sum: 15*3=45

PG: Wright/Brunson

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 2
Sum: 13*2=26

Total dynamic score is 68+100+11+45+26=250

DEN

C: Jokic/Plumlee

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 5

PF: Grant/Millsap

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 2

SF: MPJ/Craig

** (2) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 10*1=1

SG: Harris/Burton

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 2

PG: Murray/Morris

**** (4) - experience

Position impact rate = 5
Sum: 17*5=85

Total dynamic score is 100+30+10+30+85=255

MIA

C: Adebayo/Olynik/Leonard

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 5

PF: Bulter/Jones Jr/Leonard

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 5
Sum: 19*5=95

SF: Iggy/Robinson/Crowder

***** (5) - experience

Position impact rate = 1
Sum: 17*1=1

SG: Nunn/Herro

*** (3) - experience

Position impact rate = 2
Sum: 14*2=28

PG: Dragic/Nunn

***** (4) - shooting/offball
**** (3) - slashing/ballhandling
**** (4) - experience

Position impact rate = 2
Sum: 16*2=32

Total dynamic score is 90+95+17+28+32=260

To sum up:

MIA offensive rating by dynamic: 260
DEN offensive rating by dynamic: 255
DAL offensive rating by dynamic: 250

MIN offensive rating by dynamic: 229

I think the biggest areas for improvements in MIN are by far are:

* - experience
* - slashing ability

I don't see us trading for solid veteran FA who is a quality ballhandler, these type of players are usually very expensive (Jrue Holiday, Beal, Oladipo). But we can for sure try to gamble on young, promising players such as Aaron Gordon, Caris LeVert.

I also don't see us passing on Edwards and Hayes, if we keep top3 pick. And it is clear that we have a lot of potential in Vanderbilt, Nowell, Culver, Okogie, Reid, and JMac. I highly doubt that we will tank next season because these guys need playoff experience badly, it might accelerate the development a lot.

holy wow. 10 extra credit points. I'll sit down type a bunch of junk. But this is extra effort credit.

Just one question. Why is the position impact rate number so low for Miami's SG position? I think I'll better understand once I know that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves