Image ImageImage Image

2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,504

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1441 » by Andi Obst » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:43 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:I’m significantly more concerned about Hayes lack of athleticism and poor finishing than I am his shooting. He is one of the guys I’m hoping for at 7 if that’s where we land though.

I hear you, he's not a crazy high jumper and isn't the fastest guy out there. But I think he'll be fine. He's smart and crafty enough to make it work.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#1442 » by Jvaughn » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:09 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:I’m significantly more concerned about Hayes lack of athleticism and poor finishing than I am his shooting. He is one of the guys I’m hoping for at 7 if that’s where we land though.

I'm not concerned with his athleticism. While he's no Zach Lavine, he's no Doncic either. I'd say he's still above average on that front. There are some concerns with his finishing, but I think that will come with development. He has a tendency to stop short and use his floater instead of taking the contact at the rim. As his body matures, and he works with NBA trainers, this shouldn't be an issue. And for as good of a free throw shooter as he is, he'll definitely need to consistently get to the line.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#1443 » by MrSparkle » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:17 pm

Does seem like Deni's stock is going up with his latest play. He is NBA talent for sure. Question is whether he's more a Saric or a poor man's Luka.

Completely overstated in all this is that Luka was winning Pro/FIBA games with countless clutch, contested deep 3P shots off-the-dribble long before he hit the NBA. It was pretty mind-boggling seeing people complain about his shot. To me, he was in Curry/Harden co. as far as iso shooting went (of course no one shoots as well as Curry, he is easily the best 3P shooter of all-time IMO).

Deni doesn't have that. That's the difference between an all-star and a Saric, imo.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#1444 » by Andi Obst » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:47 pm

I don't expect Deni to be a star, but I still like him a lot. He's just good at a lot of things that matter in a basketball game. On both ends, too. Smart kid, hard worker. I would bet on him.

rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#1445 » by rtblues » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Little Nathan wrote:

I hear you, he's not a crazy high jumper and isn't the fastest guy out there. But I think he'll be fine. He's smart and crafty enough to make it work.

He's extremely left-hand dominant. So much so that he'll take a tough left handed shot instead of an easier right-hand finish.
Same for going to his right, in the NBA they're just gonna sit on the left hand and play to go left.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#1446 » by Dan Z » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:51 am

Little Nathan wrote:I don't expect Deni to be a star, but I still like him a lot. He's just good at a lot of things that matter in a basketball game. On both ends, too. Smart kid, hard worker. I would bet on him.

The bonus is that he fits a position of need. I don't see Otto being on the team for after 2021 and I don't trust Chandler Hutchison's health.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1447 » by gobullschi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:46 am

Little Nathan wrote:I don't expect Deni to be a star, but I still like him a lot. He's just good at a lot of things that matter in a basketball game. On both ends, too. Smart kid, hard worker. I would bet on him.

It would be a mistake to draft a player with a top 10 pick that doesn’t project to be a star.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#1448 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:35 am

gobullschi wrote:

It would be a mistake to draft a player with a top 10 pick that doesn’t project to be a star.

Well, I don't think there are more than 3 players in this draft who project to be stars.

Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#1449 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:38 am

rtblues wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

He's extremely left-hand dominant. So much so that he'll take a tough left handed shot instead of an easier right-hand finish.
Same for going to his right, in the NBA they're just gonna sit on the left hand and play to go left.

True. That's easily my biggest concern with him right now. In Ulm, they just cleared out his left side all the time for him to go left. That's not going to happen in the NBA, at least not right away. The development of his right hand is key.

drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#1450 » by drosereturn » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 am

gobullschi wrote:

Woah thats not a good evaluation when few of them projects to be a star. So your gonna give up if theres no star at 7?
While I used this to downplay Vassell, Deni has the intangibles and experience in overseas that puts him over the top.
Either guy can become better than the other I am not going to be shocked.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#1451 » by sco » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:06 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

Woah thats not a good evaluation when few of them projects to be a star. So your gonna give up if theres no star at 7?
While I used this to downplay Vassell, Deni has the intangibles and experience in overseas that puts him over the top.
Either guy can become better than the other I am not going to be shocked.

Maybe a different way to think about it is that there are the low floor/high ceiling guys and the high floor/lower ceiling guys at #7. Taking a risk at this stage for Bulls on a low floor/high ceiling guy makes some sense. Not a perfect analogy, but it's the Tyrus Thomas vs. WCJ type decision.
:clap:
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#1452 » by CoreyVillains » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:09 pm

Broke down Deni’s game from yesterday. Cut up every major possession on both offense and defense. The most notable part is that Deni just looked like he was playing at a different speed in the game. Was easily able to play at his own pace. Very impressive performance, especially in his first game back.

JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#1453 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:58 pm

I love DENI. Could see a Gordon Hayward like progression if he gets that jumper right.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,951

Post#1454 » by Chi town » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:08 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:I love DENI. Could see a Gordon Hayward like progression if he gets that jumper right.

Hayward is a good comp. maybe better than Gallo
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,951

Post#1455 » by Chi town » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:21 pm

For everyone saying Deni can’t shoot and his shot isn’t close to Luka’s... people forget Luka’s percentages. No bueno.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/doncilu01.html
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#1456 » by MGB8 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Chi town wrote:For everyone saying Deni can’t shoot and his shot isn’t close to Luka’s... people forget Luka’s percentages. No bueno.

Yup. There's a clutchness to Luka, but he's no Curry, Klay, Nash, etc., at least not yet.

And that goes for international percentages, too:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/luka-doncic-1.html
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#1457 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Chi town wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:I love DENI. Could see a Gordon Hayward like progression if he gets that jumper right.

He may not make the jump to Super Star, so few do - but I do think he’s the type of kid that’ll max out his ceiling whatever that may be. The luxury with DENI is great intangibles with a very high floor and a wonderful resume over seas.

I see Saric thrown around as a comp but it seems a little lazy to me. DENI is much more gifted athletically, I also think he’s farther along in all facets of the game, especially defensively.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#1458 » by sco » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:15 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
Chi town wrote:

He may not make the jump to Super Star, so few do - but I do think he’s the type of kid that’ll max out his ceiling whatever that may be. The luxury with DENI is great intangibles with a very high floor and a wonderful resume over seas.

I see Saric thrown around as a comp but it seems a little lazy to me. DENI is much more gifted athletically, I also think he’s farther along in all facets of the game, especially defensively.

Speaking of Saric, he's a guy I'd like us to nab on the cheap this offseason. I think he showed some things early in his career that could be useful to us. He could be a good Lauri insurance policy.
:clap:
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#1459 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:34 pm

Chi town wrote:For everyone saying Deni can’t shoot and his shot isn’t close to Luka’s... people forget Luka’s percentages. No bueno.

Percentages don't tell the whole story, although I do agree that Luka can still improve as a shooter. But he's mostly taking unassisted 3s, many of them off the dribble. Put him in more of a spot up role like Deni in Israel and Luka's percentages are way better. Deni is nowhere close to Luka in terms of shooting.

Generally, I find the Luka comps kind of annoying. Luka is in a different universe as a creator while Deni is more of an allrounder. They're nothing alike IMO.

MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#1460 » by MrFortune3 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:56 pm

gobullschi wrote:

Very few players in this draft project to be stars in the top 10. You pick a guy you feel good about and develop him.

Return to Chicago Bulls