Best comparisons for Grant Riller and Cassius Winston?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,481

Best comparisons for Grant Riller and Cassius Winston? 

Post#1 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:04 pm

Two promising backup guards with solid potential. How far off would these comparisons be with respect to their skillsets and potential?

Riller-
Fred Van Fleet?

Winston-
Kyle Lowry/ Isiah Thomas?

Statistically, I find them to be somewhat similar to those players. Do you think that their potential could align with those projections somewhat accurately, Or do you see them as having a different trajectory?
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Re: Best comparisons for Grant Riller and Cassius Winston? 

Post#2 » by kobyz » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Riller-
Terry Rozier/Monta Ellis

Winston-
Mike James
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#3 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Riller - Isaiah Thomas

Winston - Raymond Felton

Tre Jones - Kyle Lowry

These aren't exacts of course.

Riller is a lethal on ball player who can play off the ball as well. I guess IT0 was similar but they get it differently.

Winston is a genius like Felton. Both are smart PG's who know how to play but lack the tools to be anything more than average as a starting PG.

Tre Jones got all of the little things and a lot of the big things but shooting is a major issue. He can hoop but he has to really work to be great in this league shooting wise. The talent and ability are there.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:08 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Two promising backup guards with solid potential. How far off would these comparisons be with respect to their skillsets and potential?

Riller-
Fred Van Fleet?

Winston-

Statistically, I find them to be somewhat similar to those players. Do you think that their potential could align with those projections somewhat accurately, Or do you see them as having a different trajectory?

Those are pretty bad man, Riller is nothing like FVV and Winston is not even close athletically to those dudes
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#5 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Two promising backup guards with solid potential. How far off would these comparisons be with respect to their skillsets and potential?

Riller-
Fred Van Fleet?

Winston-

Those are pretty bad man, Riller is nothing like FVV and Winston is not even close athletically to those dudes

Well, instead of just criticizing, why don't you post your comp?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#6 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:29 pm

Fischella wrote:

Riller-
Fred Van Fleet?

Winston-

We'll just agree to disagree I suppose. But those are the similarities that I see for them, at least for my part. :dontknow: If you have more accurate ones, I'd love you to share them man, As I know that you really share great information on draft prospects at times. :D But they are actually two of my favorite hidden gym type of prospects for sure. :nod:
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#7 » by RiotPunch » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:55 am

I kinda get Lou Will/George Hill/Post-injury Derrick Rose vibes when I watch Riller. Don't really see FVV, although if you want that type I think Malachi Flynn resembles his game a lot more.

For Cassius I see a Pierre Jackson/Jimmer kinda blend.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:38 am

Winston is kinda like a Jalen Brunson
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#9 » by No-Man » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:51 am

Winston is a hard guy to find a comp for, his game is kinda juicy but has a real doughy body, I would say Devonte' Graham in terms of high end even if they are a bit different style wise, non-athlete Lou Williams (+passing) isn't a bad one either

As for Riller, he isn't as athletic but the way he moves and plays reminds me of Arenas, I really don't get FVV, this comes from them looking alike and that's all there is there, post injury Rose ain't bad either
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#10 » by kobyz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Winston's game i'll say most similar to Tyus Jones
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#11 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:24 pm

I guess for my part, The reason I make the Fred Van Vleet comparison for Riller is a few things:

- Both were Elite scorers in high school.
- Both were not recruited heavily, Or by big schools. And thusly flew under the radar to play for smaller mid major colleges.
-Both put up really solid stat lines in college, Showing great ability to lead a team.
- Both have a really advanced ballhandling skillset, effectively use change of pace to keep their defenders off balance and break down the opposing defense.
- Both players have good strength that they utilize well in the pick n' roll. Riller to break down defenses and get to the rim( score). And Van Vleet to break down defenses and get in the seams in order to facilitate for his teammates.
Both players are adept at hitting big shots and making clutch plays. Riller currently, And Van Vleet recently in Toronto.
- Both players were/ are not projected to be drafted in the first round even. Van Vleet going undrafted, and Riller ranging currently as a mid- late 2nd round prospect.
- Both players have high basketball IQs' and are winners, in that they just find ways to beat you.
- Both players do have similar looks at times ( beard, etc.) If that matters at all.....lol.

But for my part, I just see similarities in their abilities to play to their respective strengths, Make big clutch plays, play with poise, lead their teams with poise and can control the flow of the game with their elite skillsets.

And for Cassius Winston and the Kyle Lowry/ Isiah Thomas ( Sacramento player) comp:

I just see the similarities between Winston and Lowry in that,

- Both are high IQ floor general type guards who are Tough, gritty and play with intensity.
- Both are adept at getting to the rim and finishing with creative and acrobatic plays.
- Both are really solid playmakers. Winston currently in college, And Lowry more recently over the past couple of seasons, in conjunction with his improved jumpshot.
- Both have/ had identical builds ie; size/ weight coming out of college.
- Both have become really solid, versatile scorers, And are shooting over 40% from three.
- Both use their strength, low center of gravity well in the pick n' roll to break down opposing defenses.
- both have solid athleticism.

and for the isiaih Thomas ( Sacramento kings) comp:

- Both are very versatile, crafty scorers with solid ISO abilities, And are adept at making big (clutch) plays.
- Both have a good first step, quickness and are really good in the pick n' roll.
- Both are really skilled at using their dribble/ body and hesitation moves to keep the ball away from defenders.
- Both are natural leaders, capable floor generals.
- Both players play much bigger than their size, and can finish through contact.
- Both players push the pace well, And can also control.the pace of a game with their versatile scoring ability.
- Both players have a diminutive stature, And are considered undersized by nba standards and are/ were not ranked highly in the draft.
- Both players are really good three point shooters. And can get streaky and impact a game with their shooting at times.
- Both players play with a constant relentless energy and often push the pace.

And I do also get the stark differences between Riller and Van Vleet:

Riller:
Elite at penetration and scoring/ finishing at/around the rim. ( scoring). Not YET shown the commitment to play strong defense. ***(Although I do think he's got the potential to at least be a plus defender).

Van Vleet:
Elite as a passer/ playmaker using his advanced ballhandling skills. And is a strong defender.

And with Winston and Lowry :

Winston:
He's a versatile scorer/ playmaker first and foremost.

Lowry:
He's a strong defender/ not a good perimeter shooter YET in college.** But he did develop into one. And again, the playmaking, Basketball IQ, getting to the rim, and Toughness and grittiness and intensity are similar I believe. :wink: Anyways, That's the clarification on why I chose to make those comparisons. For now though, We'll have to wait and see how they develop I suppose. :wink:
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#12 » by Almond2Oak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Winston: The truth athleticism... minus footwork + CP3 BBIQ.

Riller: Austin Rivers with way more sauce
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#13 » by getrichordie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Almond2Oak wrote:Winston: The truth athleticism... minus footwork + CP3 BBIQ.

Riller: Austin Rivers with way more sauce

Haha. This is awesome.

In the past, I've called Winston a smaller Paul Pierce. Maybe it's the headband?
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to NBA Draft