ImageImageImage

Underwhelming Former Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Underwhelming Former Sixers  

Post#1 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:32 pm

Name a former incoming Sixer (via draft or trade) who you thought would pan out, but ultimately disappointed.

After Hinkie's master stroke deal with Vlade I really believed Stauskas had the skill set on paper that would at least develop him into a perennial rotation player.

Now I'd be surprised if he makes anyone's 15 next year. He could very well have played his last NBA game just 6 years into his professional career.

Dorell Wright is another guy I thought would be better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Re: Underwhelming Former Sixers 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:53 am

All of Hinkie’s incoming assets (from picks to players) except for Embiid.

Some notables:
- MCW, i thought his jumper can be fixed.
- Noel, i never realized how his physique can be a problem.
- Okafor, who would have thought he will hurt a team’s offense than on defense
- Dario, never realized that his defense can be so bad.
- Lakers pick, i thought it was going to be higher.
- Kings pick, i thought it was going to be higher.
- Cap space, i didn’t realize how location is more important than winning.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#3 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Years ago I had high hopes for Herbert Hill and Derrick Byars (both late picks).

Byars was breathing fire at Vanderbilt and I couldn't believe he fell to us. I watched Herbie a lot in college at PC and really thought his game would translate. Still a bit surprised he busted so quickly.... he had a bag full of post moves with a deadly soft touch and was automatic on those short pick & pops.

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#4 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:27 pm

Darryl Dawkins. straight out of FLA high school, this guy had the perfect physique/athleticism to dominate. Wilt said Darryl should be ashamed for wasting so much talent. the Doc said he and Doug made the team good, but Darryl was going to make them a dynasty. oh well.
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#5 » by Phillyboy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:44 pm

Not sure if this counts but how about Jeff Ruland? Remember him? We traded the great Moses Malone for him in the trade that many remember as the down turn of that great Sixers team. (Also traded the first pick which turned out to be Brad Daugherty a pretty good player. Of course not an underwhelming Sixer but worth mentioning.) I believe Ruland only played a handful of games for us and was done.

And of course Andrew Bynum. Very few acquisitions came here with as much hype and hope. Truly underwhelming.

Does Fultz count? I think he does
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#6 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:34 pm

The Bynums, Fultz', etc are givens.

Phillyboy
Analyst

Post#7 » by Phillyboy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 am

ankle420breaker wrote:The Bynums, Fultz', etc are givens.

Yo anklebreaker, peace to you sir but if there were givens perhaps they should have been mentioned and now they are.

Hope I'm not still in given territory if I name Shawn Bradley. No need to explain to anyone here why he was underwhelming.

How about our current GM? EB was never the player here he was in LA and yet we all were so very hopeful with signing the top FA that year

How about DC? He's certainly on the list of guys who wasted much of his God given talent

Dalembert played hard in his contract season then regressed after getting his money

Geiger was a slug we hoped much more from and he nixed the deal that would have changed this team

All of the "second scorers" we tried to pair with little what's his name. Kukoc, Stackhouse, Hughes, Van Horn. None of them really filled the role we were looking for especially Softie Van Horn

Kenny Payne- A high draft choice never panned out

Big Dog- A gunner always out of shape. Best years were gone before he got here

Kenny Thomas- Way overpaid tweener

Evan Turner- Extra disappointing since he had a short streak of some great games (remember?) in the middle of his usual mediocre just teased us. good riddance

Chris Webber- Had two triple doubles the week before we traded for him then WTF happened to him once we got him?

There's more but I don't want to write a novel. Again, peace to you sir
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#8 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:08 am

Phillyboy wrote:

Yo anklebreaker, peace to you sir but if there were givens perhaps they should have been mentioned and now they are.

Hope I'm not still in given territory if I name Shawn Bradley. No need to explain to anyone here why he was underwhelming.

How about our current GM? EB was never the player here he was in LA and yet we all were so very hopeful with signing the top FA that year

How about DC? He's certainly on the list of guys who wasted much of his God given talent

Dalembert played hard in his contract season then regressed after getting his money

Geiger was a slug we hoped much more from and he nixed the deal that would have changed this team

All of the "second scorers" we tried to pair with little what's his name. Kukoc, Hawkins, Stackhouse, Hughes, Van Horn. None of them really filled the role we were looking for especially Softie Van Horn

Evan Turner- Extra disappointing since he had a short streak of some great games (remember?) in the middle of his usual mediocre just teased us. good riddance

Chris Webber- Had two triple doubles the week before we traded for him then WTF happened to him once we got him?

OG on the block Peace to you as well, Sir.

Strong list. Dead on about Webber. Everyone points out that he was damaged goods by the time we got him, but forget that he was playing at a ridiculously high level leading up to that trade. Some unexplainable force snatched the life out of him upon his arrival in Philly.

SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#9 » by SouthJersey » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:53 am

Larry Hughes was the ultimate disappointment for me.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#10 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:17 am

Evan Turner was the ultimate disappointment for me. I really thought/wanted him to be great. I thought he was Grant Hill and Scottie Pippen made over. He had some flashes too which made it all the more worse.
Phillyboy
Analyst

Post#11 » by Phillyboy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:03 am

ankle420breaker wrote:
Phillyboy wrote:

All of the "second scorers" we tried to pair with little what's his name. Kukoc, Hawkins, Stackhouse, Hughes, Van Horn. None of them really filled the role we were looking for especially Softie Van Horn

Strong list. Dead on about Webber. Everyone points out that he was damaged goods by the time we got him, but forget that he was playing at a ridiculously high level leading up to that trade. Some unexplainable force snatched the life out of him upon his arrival in Philly.

Webber was particularly disappointing given, as you said, the high level he was performing at when we got him. What happened? I'm only speculating but it seemed that Webber was not happy at all to be traded to Philly. The best of the Fab 5 coming into the league he posted HOF numbers through the meat of his career so I assume his ego didn't like being traded here nor did he like being second fiddle to little what's his name so he pouted then he shut down.

I can remember being quite angry watching Webber sit there in street clothes game after game thinking there's nothing wrong with the guy. In the Navy we called that malingering. And who can forget his absence at fan appreciation night. No matter how unhappy he was with the team or his situation, that night was for the fans and his no show was a classless move. (little what's his name didn't show either). Now that his career is over I sincerely wish Webber well but I'll always believe he owes the fans an apology for his lack of professionalism.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#12 » by phillynative » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Evan Turner for sure was a huge disappointment.

Andrew Bynum was a **** joke we got screwed, the guy just didn't want to play.

Sammy D. Had the tools just didn't have BBall IQ and the drive to be great.

Nick stauskus just couldn't get over the hump and become consistent shooter.

Willie green was a undersized 2 guard but I think he could of been a nice bench scorer 4 us before being injured.

Rodney Carney great athlete but that's it.

Marresse Speights nice offensive tools but lazy defender could not stay in shape

Kareem Rush was supposed to be a shooter but wasn't and couldn't do much else on the floor

Craig Brackins thought he had stretch big potential.

Arnett Moultrie another potential big with nice tools but upstairs wasn't right.

The process Era ... MCW, Nerlens Noel, Tony Wroten, James Anderson, Elliot Williams , Daniel Orton, Lorenzo Brown, kj mcdaniels , Thomas Robinson, Isaiah canaan, Pierre Jackson, Kendall Marshall, Jerryd Bayless, Timothe-cabborrot , Jahlil Okafor and Last but not least Markelle (My shoulder won't work so I can't shoot) Fultz :noway:
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#13 » by Stanford » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:42 pm

It's always going to be Rodney Carney for me.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#14 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Stanford wrote:It's always going to be Rodney Carney for me.
Yeah, thought he'd be better. Shouldve just kept Thabo, but hurts a bit less knowing that was a garbage draft class.

ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#15 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:45 pm

^ Good call on Arnette Moultrie. He's easy to forget.

ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#16 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Phillyboy wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
Phillyboy wrote:

Webber was particularly disappointing given, as you said, the high level he was performing at when we got him. What happened? I'm only speculating but it seemed that Webber was not happy at all to be traded to Philly. The best of the Fab 5 coming into the league he posted HOF numbers through the meat of his career so I assume his ego didn't like being traded here nor did he like being second fiddle to little what's his name so he pouted then he shut down.

I can remember being quite angry watching Webber sit there in street clothes game after game thinking there's nothing wrong with the guy. In the Navy we called that malingering. And who can forget his absence at fan appreciation night. No matter how unhappy he was with the team or his situation, that night was for the fans and his no show was a classless move. (little what's his name didn't show either). Now that his career is over I sincerely wish Webber well but I'll always believe he owes the fans an apology for his lack of professionalism.
His body language on & off the court made it apparent that he wasn't thrilled to land in Philly. More than anything he seemed more focused on being able to continue filling the box score alongside Iverson. Adopting a winning culture seemed secondary.

The fan appreciation night no-show was disappointing and fittingly capped off his tenure here. He'll never be beloved in this city.

sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#17 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:40 pm

There are many of course but I'll mention Thad Young. I thought he could be a star.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#18 » by phillynative » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:10 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:There are many of course but I'll mention Thad Young. I thought he could be a star.

I was going to mention him but I decided to give him a pass because hes been solid /pretty good for most of his career. Definitely had a higher ceiling than his peak though.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#19 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:20 pm

There was a stint where it looked like Shavlick Randolph was going to turn into a nice rotation big. His fate was more tied to health issues though.

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,801

Post#20 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Glenn Robinson, Chris Webber and Elton Brand are, in my mind, the Mt Rushmore of underperforming players of the 2000s for the Sixers.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers