ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#581 » by Almond2Oak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Squigglepuffin wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:Yeah that's also true his wingspan is underwhelming. I could see Ainge going after Cole Anthony too since he was projected consensus top 5 pick and even mentioned as the #1 pick for a long time. Top 3 recruit in high school too. Only concern is that he offers pretty little versatility but would be an elite backup PG and could take the reigns from Kemba if he reaches his projected ceiling.

Imo Cole Anthony is severely overhyped. I've seen him mentioned as a top 10 pick in some mock drafts.

He's Trey Burke more or less. The only reason he's getting attention is because he's played on tv a lot due to going to a massive college in UNC, and he also went to Oak Hill in high school.

There are so, so many players I'd choose over him even with the Milwaukee pick at 30.

It's going to be unfortunate and sad (a smh moment) to see a team (probably in the lottery) pick him so high.

Very smart.

Cole is gonna probably be one of the worst picks if he goes on Lottery due to the fact he’s older then Dotson & Lewis, yet, he isn’t even close to them in terms of play. You could argue Cole has peaked, he’s a shorter, less dynamic Tyreke Evans. He has to have ball and even then he just dribbled the hell out of it and is a piss poor shooter. Have fun with that (hopefully not in Boston)
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#582 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:28 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Yeah that's also true his wingspan is underwhelming. I could see Ainge going after Cole Anthony too since he was projected consensus top 5 pick and even mentioned as the #1 pick for a long time. Top 3 recruit in high school too. Only concern is that he offers pretty little versatility but would be an elite backup PG and could take the reigns from Kemba if he reaches his projected ceiling.

Ainge historically has seemed to place a lot more weight on High School Rankings than Freshman year production [dating all the way back to the trade for Telfair], so I could see this as well. Not sure if it’ll work out for us, but I could see it happening nonetheless.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#583 » by threrf23 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Cole Anthony is nearly a full year old for his class. Guys ranked as high, who are a full year old for their class, have an iffy track record. Either they were held back a year, or might as well have been held back a year due to injury (Kevin Love, Shawn Livingston, Penny Hardaway), they might as well have been held back a year due to immaturity (Josh Jackson, OJ Mayo), and/or they became full of themselves and didn't realize they needed to keep working (Austin Rivers, Gerald Green, Bazz Muhammad). John Wall is an exception, and still has sort of failed to live up to expectations, and has played 73 games over the past two seasons.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#584 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:38 pm

threrf23 wrote:Cole Anthony is nearly a full year old for his class. Guys ranked as high, who are a full year old for their class, have an iffy track record. Either they were held back a year, or might as well have been held back a year due to injury (Kevin Love, Shawn Livingston, Penny Hardaway), they might as well have been held back a year due to immaturity (Josh Jackson, OJ Mayo), and/or they became full of themselves and didn't realize they needed to keep working (Austin Rivers, Gerald Green, Bazz Muhammad). John Wall is an exception, and still has sort of failed to live up to expectations, and has played 73 games over the past two seasons.

Im not the biggest Cole Anthony fan, moreso just guessing based on Ainge’s history.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#585 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Kemba, you're up next!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#586 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Jaden McDaniels is so confusing to me. He was downright awful last year. But there are only so many people who are 6’9+ that can functionally dribble and shoot.

I’m warming up to him as the guy at 17. He’ll probably bust like James Young, but he absolutely has the potential to be the best player in the draft.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#587 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kemba, you're up next!

With the exception of Kyrie that's burying the lead there haha.

I mean I guess, 3/4 have played with potentially the best player in the game as their sidekick to a title.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#588 » by snowman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am

I don't know if we will pick 4 players, (3 1st's and a 2nd) or trade them all. However, if we pick any, I would love to come out of the draft with either Nesmith or Seddiq Bey for our shooter, and Achiuwa or Jalen Smith as our big. Everything else is a project to replace Waters in the G league because He will be with the big club next season.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#589 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:24 pm

MEM is the 8 seed right now but they have a tough schedule. POR is getting Nurkic/Zach Collins back for the stretch run and New Orleans was surging with Zion back and have an easy schedule.

There's a solid shot MEM ends up having to do the play-in. MEM is starting with a 3.5 game lead but unless they push it to 4 games they will do the play-in. The way it's set up is that MEM would just have to win one game while POR/NO would need to beat the twice.

Right now MEM's pick projects to be #17, with MIN (via Brooklyn), ORL and POR picking ahead of them. MEM could jump those teams and the pick move up to #14. POR/MIN figure to be threats to snag a 3&D wing and ORL would seemingly be a threat to take a PG like Kira Lewis or Cole Anthony. If we move up to #14 it could be huge for us in filling one of those needs/wants with the draft.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#590 » by themoneyteam2 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:43 am

Haven't heard much talk about Josh Green. Consensus top 15 recruit (the Ainge special), averaged 12/4.6/2.6 on 42/36/78 splits.

6'6", 210 lbs with a 6"10" wingspan and fits right in as a 3 and D wing. Very intriguing plug and play wing with the ability to guard 1-4 at a high level. He is great athletically and fits right into any offense as an off the ball scorer. Lethal in transition.

Strengths:
- spot up shooting
- on ball and off ball defense
- versatility to guard multiple positions

Weaknesses:
- limited creator on offense
- below average finisher in half court
- Needs to improve his offensive skillset

Wouldn't shock me at all if he's the pick at 17. Top HS recruit and great athletically. He fits right in as a 3 and D wing and is the most versatile defender in the draft. Routinely guarded point guards and forwards at Zona, despite being 6'6", and can move laterally extremely well. He's a safe pick that can contribute Day 1 but also has a high ceiling imo. His weakness is not being able to go get a bucket on his own and most of his offense is assisted but that's all he'll need his 1st year in the league. Reminds me of Klay Thompson with his form and off ball movement but obviously not the shooter he is.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#591 » by captain green » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:18 am

I have a feeling were drafting precious achiuwa, and trey Jones, and zeke nnaji. And a trade.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#592 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:50 pm

captain green wrote:I have a feeling were drafting precious achiuwa, and trey Jones, and zeke nnaji. And a trade.

I'd be shocked if the Celtics take Tre Jones, especially in the first round. Doesn't fit the mold of point guards in Brad's system and also is a career backup at best.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#593 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:21 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
captain green wrote:I have a feeling were drafting precious achiuwa, and trey Jones, and zeke nnaji. And a trade.

I'd be shocked if the Celtics take Tre Jones, especially in the first round. Doesn't fit the mold of point guards in Brad's system and also is a career backup at best.

Well if there's a trade as the previous post suggests, maybe we draft him for someone else. The only way we make all 3 picks is if we're trading 1 or 2 of them to another team.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#594 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:47 pm

I haven't watched a single minute of film on this year's draft and I don't plan to until September. I think James Wiseman will be a good NBA player but I have no clue about anyone else.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#595 » by captain green » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:02 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Well if there's a trade as the previous post suggests, maybe we draft him for someone else. The only way we make all 3 picks is if we're trading 1 or 2 of them to another team.

Look I don't want trey or nnaji but I hope it's in a trade. I'd be OK with precious though. Danny has only drafted 2 of my picks so I switched it up so maybe he will pick other players, reverse psychology lol
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#596 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Jul 9, 2020 9:17 am

Daniel Oturu should be another prospect we should monitor with our 17 and 26 picks.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#597 » by winsomme2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Potential Draft Result:

#17 - Patrick Williams - dynamic wing with good size and star potential.

#26 - Reggie Perry - Dependable modern day PF/C, FT% shows potential as shot-maker.

#30 - Malachi Flynn - High floor PG with starter potential. Tremendous in PnR.

Thoughts?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#598 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:05 pm

winsomme2 wrote:Potential Draft Result:

#26 - Reggie Perry - Dependable modern day PF/C, FT% shows potential as shot-maker.

Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of Patrick Williams for us. He's one of 2 guys I love for us at #17. I don't know that he's ever going to be able to create for himself at a high level but I think he's going to be a tough, rugged defender at the PF spot who can switch on the P&R and cover bigger SFs. The shot seems to have a solid enough foundation to be reliable and I think he shows a good ability to attack close outs and pass the ball within the offense. I don't think he's ever going to be your top scorer or a primary ball handler but as a 3&D PF he doesn't have to be.

I think he's still a bit raw so I don't think you're looking at a big time impact in year 1, but that's ok. We don't need huge year 1 impact necessarily, though obviously you'd love if we got that. It kind of depends on the Hayward situation and how many more years we have him, but down the line I think you're looking at a guy who would start at PF alongside Brown/Tatum. One potential fit issue is that I don't see him being a primary shot creator - more someone who scores off of plays created by others. I think Brown is the same type of player, even though he scores 20 a night. He gets his points off catch and shoot, off-ball cuts and then when he does iso/create for himself it's in favorable matchups. He's not a high level shot creator for himself or others right now. And then Tatum we all know has broken out in a big way this year, but playmaking for others is the one part of his game still lagging. Having Hayward as a point forward compensates for those weaknesses in Tatum/Brown. If in the long term we're going to move from that to a Patrick Williams type player alongside them, there will have to be improvement from Tatum/Brown as playmakers with the ball to compensate for that. That's not really an indictment on Williams but it's just a watch out on the long term fit.

My favorite player for us is Kira Lewis Jr because I think he'll be a star for us at PG down the line for us as a Kemba replacement and the offense-generating 2nd unit PG we need in the short term. But Patrick Williams as a bench forward now and eventual running mate alongside Tatum/Brown in Hayward's place is my second choice. I'd be very happy if one of them were there at #17.

Not as big a fan of the Reggie Perry pick. Stevens likes to switch on the P&R and I think he's a little heavy footed for that. It's not so much that I don't like Perry as it is I like some other bigs more. I think Zeke Nnaji could be a Kelly Olynyk type offensive player for us that switches on defense the way Theis does for example. I think he's a really good system fit for us. I think Paul Reed could be a big man version of Marcus Smart for us. Kind of like Grant Williams but with more length to help out in the bigger matchups. Another guy I like is Mamadi Diakite. I think he'd be a lot like Daniel Theis. Daniel Orturu I think is a bit of the same system misfit as Perry, but I think his strengths are stronger so it's more projectable and something worth altering for (the way we changed some things in how we play with Kanter, for example).

Those are just the big men. Two guys I also like for us potentially at #26 are the Arizona guards - Nico Mannion and Josh Green. Mannion is a P&R ball handler with a great shot IMO. I know he shot a bad % but he had a back injury that made it much worse. I think he's a good passer and creative finisher. He won't ever be a good defender but he tries which Stevens has shown is all he needs the PG to do to make it work. I think he's got some athleticism limitations that would prevent him from ever being an ideal starter in the way I said earlier I think Kira Lewis Jr could, but I think he addresses the 2nd unit PG we need now and for the future. Green right now is great in the open court but a bit undeveloped with his shot and handles but I think potential is there to be a good 2-way wing. Kind of a scaled back Jaylen Brown, if you will. He comes in and develops his catch and shoot game, defends multiple positions with size/athleticism/length. Over time he gets maybe a little more comfortable and can be a lower option to handle.

At #30, you're looking at kind of the same names. You mention Flynn who I think you can basically say the same things I did for Mannion earlier. That'd be a solid pick. There are a ton of PGs who fall into that, honestly. I think Xavier Tillman is an NBA ready big man who can play rotation minutes right away, though limited ceiling to ever be more than that IMO. Cassius Stanley would fit in a lot of the same ways as Green. Tyler Bey would fit in the way Patrick Williams would. I have those guys ranked lower so not the same upside but I'm talking schematic fit/role.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#599 » by winsomme2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:06 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:Potential Draft Result:

Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of Patrick Williams for us. He's one of 2 guys I love for us at #17. I don't know that he's ever going to be able to create for himself at a high level but I think he's going to be a tough, rugged defender at the PF spot who can switch on the P&R and cover bigger SFs. The shot seems to have a solid enough foundation to be reliable and I think he shows a good ability to attack close outs and pass the ball within the offense. I don't think he's ever going to be your top scorer or a primary ball handler but as a 3&D PF he doesn't have to be.

I think he's still a bit raw so I don't think you're looking at a big time impact in year 1, but that's ok. We don't need huge year 1 impact necessarily, though obviously you'd love if we got that. It kind of depends on the Hayward situation and how many more years we have him, but down the line I think you're looking at a guy who would start at PF alongside Brown/Tatum. One potential fit issue is that I don't see him being a primary shot creator - more someone who scores off of plays created by others. I think Brown is the same type of player, even though he scores 20 a night. He gets his points off catch and shoot, off-ball cuts and then when he does iso/create for himself it's in favorable matchups. He's not a high level shot creator for himself or others right now. And then Tatum we all know has broken out in a big way this year, but playmaking for others is the one part of his game still lagging. Having Hayward as a point forward compensates for those weaknesses in Tatum/Brown. If in the long term we're going to move from that to a Patrick Williams type player alongside them, there will have to be improvement from Tatum/Brown as playmakers with the ball to compensate for that. That's not really an indictment on Williams but it's just a watch out on the long term fit.

My favorite player for us is Kira Lewis Jr because I think he'll be a star for us at PG down the line for us as a Kemba replacement and the offense-generating 2nd unit PG we need in the short term. But Patrick Williams as a bench forward now and eventual running mate alongside Tatum/Brown in Hayward's place is my second choice. I'd be very happy if one of them were there at #17.

Not as big a fan of the Reggie Perry pick. Stevens likes to switch on the P&R and I think he's a little heavy footed for that. It's not so much that I don't like Perry as it is I like some other bigs more. I think Zeke Nnaji could be a Kelly Olynyk type offensive player for us that switches on defense the way Theis does for example. I think he's a really good system fit for us. I think Paul Reed could be a big man version of Marcus Smart for us. Kind of like Grant Williams but with more length to help out in the bigger matchups. Another guy I like is Mamadi Diakite. I think he'd be a lot like Daniel Theis. Daniel Orturu I think is a bit of the same system misfit as Perry, but I think his strengths are stronger so it's more projectable and something worth altering for (the way we changed some things in how we play with Kanter, for example).

Those are just the big men. Two guys I also like for us potentially at #26 are the Arizona guards - Nico Mannion and Josh Green. Mannion is a P&R ball handler with a great shot IMO. I know he shot a bad % but he had a back injury that made it much worse. I think he's a good passer and creative finisher. He won't ever be a good defender but he tries which Stevens has shown is all he needs the PG to do to make it work. I think he's got some athleticism limitations that would prevent him from ever being an ideal starter in the way I said earlier I think Kira Lewis Jr could, but I think he addresses the 2nd unit PG we need now and for the future. Green right now is great in the open court but a bit undeveloped with his shot and handles but I think potential is there to be a good 2-way wing. Kind of a scaled back Jaylen Brown, if you will. He comes in and develops his catch and shoot game, defends multiple positions with size/athleticism/length. Over time he gets maybe a little more comfortable and can be a lower option to handle.

At #30, you're looking at kind of the same names. You mention Flynn who I think you can basically say the same things I did for Mannion earlier. That'd be a solid pick. There are a ton of PGs who fall into that, honestly. I think Xavier Tillman is an NBA ready big man who can play rotation minutes right away, though limited ceiling to ever be more than that IMO. Cassius Stanley would fit in a lot of the same ways as Green. Tyler Bey would fit in the way Patrick Williams would. I have those guys ranked lower so not the same upside but I'm talking schematic fit/role.

I'm really high on Kira Lewis as well. I'm thinking he might be off the board at 17 but would love the pick if it was him. That would change the needs at 26 and 30 a bit. Although I think other that a big and a PG I think the third pick could be BPA or a draft and stash.

I wish I had a better read on Mannion and Reed. Mannion was definitely disappointing to me this season. He's certainly a good ball handler and PnR passer. Flynn seems like an overall better player to me, though. Better shooter and finisher. A could see a back injury muddying the waters, but maybe a back injury is a red flag....Reed certainly has the stats, but I have some mobility worries about him. He seems to play kinda stiff. But I definitely see potential.

I actually think there's tons of potential in this draft as well.

I'd to get a shooter. Isaiah Joe?

How about:

#17 - Kira Lewis - Star potential. Speed demon. Would be so good in early years coming off the bench.

#26 - Zeke Nnaji - Good Shooter. Gets off the ground fast.

#30 - Cassius Stanley - Explosive athlete. Room to grow on a team with talented wings to develop under.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Post#600 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:14 pm

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics