Image ImageImage Image

Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years"

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Re: Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years" 

Post#1061 » by Dominator83 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:52 am

chefo wrote:My perspective as a (white) guy who has had quite a few interactions with the decent folk in one of my city's really rough black neighborhoods through charity work. It's a lose, lose, really, and a human tragedy on a massive scale, and Orlando is nowhere near the level of violence of south Chicago, Baltimore or East LA.

Down here, you see local pastors, businessmen and many others of the Black community hustle like crazy to get a just few boys on the right track. At the same time, the local Bloods and Crips recruit middle-schoolers by the dozens every year, and do drive by shootings, armed car-jackings and beatings of random strangers as initiations. The Magic try to get players and staff to mentor kids in the ghetto. They are barely making a dent. My family worked with a kid who had been to Juvie three times before he had turned 14. Bright kid, but kept horrible company, mom was a non-functioning junkie and dad was in and out of jail throughout his whole childhood. He was smart enough to understand that the path he was headed, he'd either be dead or in prison for life, so with a little help, he managed to get his priorities straight and now has graduated high-school and is joining the army.

Just to make clear--these are problems ubiquitous to the urban black community even in a nice area like Central Florida. The 'resource officer', who is the armed cop on duty at the school my wife used to work at, a middle-aged black man, had almost no sympathy for these boys because every other day he had to drag somebody off to the precinct for dealing or mass fights. He called them punks and much worse. The black senior staff at the school did not care much for them either, and said it would be a miracle if they managed to get many of them out of middle school. Many couldn't read or write by 6th-7th grade, some already had kids. Somebody told me that 80% of the black kids in the school were from single parent family (read single mom), and a quarter were technically considered homeless. And at some point, the county instituted a ridiculous policy where to 'equalize' the rate at which black and other ethnicities were kicked out of school, many 'one-time' offenses like being caught with drugs on campus, or assault, were no longer enough for an expulsion. Which then promptly increased the actual number of transgressions and led to teachers literally being threatened by students because the kids sensed that they had the leverage on the staff. My wife left a year later, a year before her pension vested, after a student with documented violent history threatened to kill her in writing and the administrative staff did not even expel him. Crazily enough, the threat was enough for us to press charges (we didn't), but not enough for expulsion.

The boy we mentored simply said that in the hood you have to be hyper aggressive or else you're at the bottom of the food chain, and you'll get robbed, bullied and worse. It's really not a choice--but that creates a whole generation of urban black youth who are used to settling every dispute with fists, knifes and guns and who see the law being broken in their community all the time and that as being the status quo.

Combine that with the fact that cops usually come from the tail end of the curve in terms of aggressiveness and the desire to dominate through power, and you've got a no-win situation for everybody involved because they get to constantly interact with hyper-aggressive young men. And I really don't know how you fix that. To me, the solutions are probably so comprehensive in nature, both in the changing the policing and in trying to change the culture of youth violence, that they border on impossible to implement.

An officer I know, one of the nicest guys I've ever met, BTW, once told me that when in crisis, the only thoughts in your head are how to make sure you get home alive. He patrolled Disney much of the time, but patrolling the ghetto made him nervous as hell. His point was--when most of the violent crime in an entire city of a couple of million is committed in a 2x2 mile square, you as a cop know it because you live it every day so they are probably extra nervous and trigger happy because of the stress.

Anyhow, my limited and anecdotal perspective--when you put two hyper aggressive groups together, both of which are used to resolving conflict through force, you'll get violence and that to me looks like an unavoidable and really sad consequence.

That's the problem. Everybody keeps preaching that the police need to reform. And maybe they do. But, everyone just ignores that the people need to reform even moreso than the police do. All the things you described is nuts And is the real problem in America that needs addressing. Why people feel the need to be like that is beyond comprehension.

Also, as I've said earlier in the thread, "poor schools" is not to blame for the culture. A school is only as good as the people who attend it. When kids don't care, and the parents of the kids don't care, there's no winning with them. Personally, I didn't care in school either. But I never disrespected a teacher, and if I did, my dad would've beat my ass for it. For that reason alone I never thought twice about disrespecting a teacher.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#1062 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:47 am

Bluewaterheaven wrote:Lol, let’s cover all of our officers in level IV plate and ballistic face shields and send them out into the streets like the Master Chief.

Oh wait, you mean a 30-06 hunting round from a Remington 700 can still pierce that like butter and it would just make officers slow moving targets.

Great idea!

Don’t get me wrong, officers need better training, but disarming officers and telling them to go out into the field for 50k a year. I would hope every officer in the US would quit. Maybe the people who couldn’t get a job at McDonalds would take that job!

I definitely get where you are coming from. I am saying hypothetically I would want to increase defensive and incapacitating abilities and reduce lethal capabilities. I think if you could find a way to do that then you wouldn't further increase the danger that officers are in. I don't know if there is a practical way to do that though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#1063 » by chitownsalesmen » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:19 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:He should be sitting in a jail cell right now...not laying in a morgue.

I'd rather be laying in the morgue.

And shouldnt that be his choice?

Well, I was trying to point out the insanity of the entire situation, the poster quoted said that essentially the realistic options for that man at that point was either allowing the police to do their job which would have in all likely hood lead to him sitting in a jail cell for a very long time, OR resisting arrest and making a run for it.

Honestly, I could make the argument he made that choice for himself as insensitive as that may sound.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#1064 » by Bluewaterheaven » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:01 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:Lol, let’s cover all of our officers in level IV plate and ballistic face shields and send them out into the streets like the Master Chief.

Oh wait, you mean a 30-06 hunting round from a Remington 700 can still pierce that like butter and it would just make officers slow moving targets.

Great idea!

Don’t get me wrong, officers need better training, but disarming officers and telling them to go out into the field for 50k a year. I would hope every officer in the US would quit. Maybe the people who couldn’t get a job at McDonalds would take that job!

I definitely get where you are coming from. I am saying hypothetically I would want to increase defensive and incapacitating abilities and reduce lethal capabilities. I think if you could find a way to do that then you wouldn't further increase the danger that officers are in. I don't know if there is a practical way to do that though.

Sorry for the sarcastic response earlier. I read through these threads, and some times the suggestions seem so out of touch with reality. It doesn't mean its not a good idea, but it is impractical for the level of technology we are at.

I use the 30-06 example to illustrate another point. I think a lot of people want to get rid of Hand guns, assault rifles, etc. I can understand that thought process. Any yet, a classic hunting round from a rifle that will likely never be banned would still rip through body armor like butter.

Look at the title of this thread "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years." This is a violent city. You take away an officers means of self protection, you are not going to have many officers. Further, neutering cops is not going to prevent the inner city crime.

We have to look at policy, even before we look at education. Are our crime levels caused by systematic racism? Yes, that is part of it. Is it caused by the war on drugs? Yes. Is it caused by piss poor leadership for as long as I can remember at every level of city government? yes it is.
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1065 » by Dresden » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Great idea!

Sorry for the sarcastic response earlier. I read through these threads, and some times the suggestions seem so out of touch with reality. It doesn't mean its not a good idea, but it is impractical for the level of technology we are at.

I use the 30-06 example to illustrate another point. I think a lot of people want to get rid of Hand guns, assault rifles, etc. I can understand that thought process. Any yet, a classic hunting round from a rifle that will likely never be banned would still rip through body armor like butter.

Look at the title of this thread "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years." This is a violent city. You take away an officers means of self protection, you are not going to have many officers. Further, neutering cops is not going to prevent the inner city crime.

We have to look at policy, even before we look at education. Are our crime levels caused by systematic racism? Yes, that is part of it. Is it caused by the war on drugs? Yes. Is it caused by piss poor leadership for as long as I can remember at every level of city government? yes it is.

I agree, we do need to examine the policies that have been in place for the last 100 years that have steered inner cities into the condition they are in now. Such as housing segregation, bank redlining, city planning decisions, etc. All of that has created the problems we see today, and we have to come up with policies that can reverse that. One interesting idea I heard recently- since many black families missed out on the move to the suburbs in the 50's and 60's due to segregated housing, or inability to get loans, there should be a special fund set up to make loans to black families in the inner city so that they can now afford to purchase a home in the suburbs. Not a bad idea.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach

Post#1066 » by Bluewaterheaven » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Dresden wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I agree, we do need to examine the policies that have been in place for the last 100 years that have steered inner cities into the condition they are in now. Such as housing segregation, bank redlining, city planning decisions, etc. All of that has created the problems we see today, and we have to come up with policies that can reverse that. One interesting idea I heard recently- since many black families missed out on the move to the suburbs in the 50's and 60's due to segregated housing, or inability to get loans, there should be a special fund set up to make loans to black families in the inner city so that they can now afford to purchase a home in the suburbs. Not a bad idea.

I doubt that is constitutional. It would have to target poor of all races, unless it is a private fund. If it is private it would fly but if banks are issuing the loans there would have to be a lot of oversight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
Dresden
RealGM

Re: Just Sad, 

Post#1067 » by Dresden » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:
Dresden wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:

I doubt that is constitutional. It would have to target poor of all races, unless it is a private fund. If it is private it would fly but if banks are issuing the loans there would have to be a lot of oversight.

Why would it be unconstitutional? Reparations were paid to Japanese Americans after what happened to them in WWII.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach

Post#1068 » by Bluewaterheaven » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:49 pm

Dresden wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:
Dresden wrote:

Why would it be unconstitutional? Reparations were paid to Japanese Americans after what happened to them in WWII.

To people still living from the affected time period. It is going to be hard to constitutionally justify reparations be paid by families with no connection to slavery, Hispanic immigrants who have only been here a generation or two, Asian immigrants who have been here less, etc.

If you want reparations, it would have likely have to be made on the basis of wealth, which is nonprotected, and it would have to face a challenge or multiple challenges under a strict scrutiny review.

Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#1069 » by Repeat 3-peat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Read on Twitter
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,880

Post#1070 » by nomorezorro » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:15 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:To people still living from the affected time period. It is going to be hard to constitutionally justify reparations be paid by families with no connection to slavery, Hispanic immigrants who have only been here a generation or two, Asian immigrants who have been here less, etc.

i have news for you if you think american institutionalized antiblack racism ended with slavery
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach

Post#1071 » by Bluewaterheaven » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:21 pm

nomorezorro wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:To people still living from the affected time period. It is going to be hard to constitutionally justify reparations be paid by families with no connection to slavery, Hispanic immigrants who have only been here a generation or two, Asian immigrants who have been here less, etc.

i have news for you if you think american institutionalized antiblack racism ended with slavery

I am Asian and Hispanic. I have ancestors that were brought here to build railroads. Friends of mine have watched their parents be deported. I have news for you if you think blacks are the only ones who have faced institutionalized racism in this country.

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,521

Post#1072 » by dice » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:14 am

63 mississippi state legislators want to get rid of the confederate state flag
7 want to keep it
51 punt and want voters to decide
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach

Post#1073 » by Bluewaterheaven » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:17 am

dice wrote:63 mississippi state legislators want to get rid of the confederate state flag
7 want to keep it
51 punt and want voters to decide

Good, I always say, Sherman did not go hard or far enough. It wasn’t beaten out of them

nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,880

Post#1074 » by nomorezorro » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:31 am

Bluewaterheaven wrote:I am Asian and Hispanic. I have ancestors that were brought here to build railroads. Friends of mine have watched their parents be deported. I have news for you if you think blacks are the only ones who have faced institutionalized racism in this country.

i don't think america reckoning with its plunder from and crimes against marginalized people should stop with some sort of reparations for black people!

just don't think "it's too many generations ago!" holds any water when people who were redlined and denied access to the GI bill are still alive today
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#1075 » by Ccwatercraft » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

104? Jesus christ, is that new record?
I hope it is, if not, that's pretty scary.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#1076 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:

I am Asian and Hispanic. I have ancestors that were brought here to build railroads. Friends of mine have watched their parents be deported. I have news for you if you think blacks are the only ones who have faced institutionalized racism in this country.

Except Blacks are the last ones to receive full rights.

And the ones that have served the longest without any civil rights.

THAT is why this entire thing is galling. It makes the blood boil.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1077 » by Dresden » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:28 pm

I'm curious- when cities had strict segregation laws about where blacks could and could not buy houses, did that also apply to other minority groups like Latinos and Asian-Americans? I know here in SF, for awhile, there were pretty much just two districts in the city where African Americans were allowed to buy homes. But I don't know if that included other groups as well.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach

Post#1078 » by Bluewaterheaven » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:36 pm

Dresden wrote:I'm curious- when cities had strict segregation laws about where blacks could and could not buy houses, did that also apply to other minority groups like Latinos and Asian-Americans? I know here in SF, for awhile, there were pretty much just two districts in the city where African Americans were allowed to buy homes. But I don't know if that included other groups as well.

Growing up in Miami, there historically was pushback on Latinos in both black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods. I can’t speak to Asian history because I simply don’t know it well. I will say my Asian complexion did not make me welcome in a lot of Hispanic neighborhoods either.

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,982

Post#1079 » by Chi town » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:35 pm

nomorezorro wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:I am Asian and Hispanic. I have ancestors that were brought here to build railroads. Friends of mine have watched their parents be deported. I have news for you if you think blacks are the only ones who have faced institutionalized racism in this country.

i don't think america reckoning with its plunder from and crimes against marginalized people should stop with some sort of reparations for black people!

just don't think "it's too many generations ago!" holds any water when people who were redlined and denied access to the GI bill are still alive today

I agree. What do you suggest or propose? How does money help people up out of poverty and not get stolen by the foundations etc. that reach for it to keep it from the people it is intended for.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#1080 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:
Dresden wrote:I'm curious- when cities had strict segregation laws about where blacks could and could not buy houses, did that also apply to other minority groups like Latinos and Asian-Americans? I know here in SF, for awhile, there were pretty much just two districts in the city where African Americans were allowed to buy homes. But I don't know if that included other groups as well.

Growing up in Miami, there historically was pushback on Latinos in both black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods. I can’t speak to Asian history because I simply don’t know it well. I will say my Asian complexion did not make me welcome in a lot of Hispanic neighborhoods either.

I am not minimizing your experience.

Just know that the nature of immigration in this country is such that once we get in, we like to close the gate for the rest.

Black people are unlike everyone else. They are not immigrants. I am taking of the original black families that got here.

Native tribes and a few tribes along Mexico border...have a historical gripe about how the Colonists mistreated them.

As immigrants that came later, we cannot and should not compare our story to those who were disenfranchised without excerise of free will.

Return to Chicago Bulls