ImageImageImageImageImage

Early look at FA: Gallinari

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Re: Early look at FA: Gallinari 

Post#41 » by jimmy keys » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:05 am

C_Money wrote:We need a starting SF. I would definitely take him on a short term deal.

no we don't.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,758

Post#42 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 am

Want nothing to do with Gallinari. He won't fit on defense, we don't need his offense, he won't be cheap, would require a deal past next year and ruin 21 UFA. Can't pass fast enough.

And he ain't coming off the bench and I'm not moving OG to the bench. That part is the short sighted BC move right there.

And why in gods name would anyone want Gallinari to start at 20 plus mil over OG at 3 mil next year. You're on drugs.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#43 » by TheAlchemist » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:27 am

Sorry, This isn't the 2009 Euro Raptors.

About a decade too late Colangelo lol.

I rather have OG and save money for an Oladipo, if we miss out on the Giannis train.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#44 » by TheAlchemist » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:35 am

If we miss out on Giannis, we still will have cap space for two free agents.

We could technically get Oladipo on max, with another FA like Jrue, CJ McCollum, Gordon Hayward / Chris Paul.

I'd much rather spend my money on impact players like those.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#45 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:45 am

Unless he comes cheap or a 1 year contract, it's an easy no for me.

His well rounded offence would help us but he's past 30, has had injury problems his whole career, and would be the worst defender out of our rotation players. He wouldn't be coming in to help us long term so the question then becomes whether he can help us to win a championship the next couple of years. No thanks.

If we are going to spend money, it has to be to retain our guys, add good young players, or to add a star to our team.
Retro_Junkball
Senior
And1: 277

Post#46 » by Retro_Junkball » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:03 am

He's worth considering, but given current depth and his likely 20 M salary, I don't see it as anything other than a longshot, break glass if necessary. I think it only merits more serious consideration if Fred or both Mark/Serge don't re-sign. Even then, it depends on what other players are available and what Gallinari wants...some could offer him more than 20 M per year and then it's time to walk away.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,632

Post#47 » by C_Money » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:16 am

jimmy keys wrote:
C_Money wrote:We need a starting SF. I would definitely take him on a short term deal.

no we don't.

Yes. SF is our weakest position.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#48 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:39 am

It would be like getting Turkoglu.
Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Post#49 » by Roco14 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:56 am

This board is absolutely obsessed about players that do absolutely nothing for in us in terms of pushing the needle (gallo, morris twin, etc.)
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
alex_nba42
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#50 » by alex_nba42 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 am

there aren't that many quality SF in the coming free agency. I'd rather try to keep both Gasol and Ibaka and spend the rest of the money on another prospect
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,602

Post#51 » by Ackshun » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:24 am

720 wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
revvolutions wrote:Sounds very Colangelo to me

How so ?

He is past his prime and has injury concerns?

We must be watching two different players.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#52 » by Clay Davis » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:32 am

TheBoi10 wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:Gallo is one of the most underrated players in the league. He was a big reason of why the Clippers didn't do significantly worse after trading Harris.

Another reason would be that Harris isn't good.

Super mediocre :lol:

Nah.

You can't be the leading volume scorer on a team in the play-off race in the West if you're super mediocre. Tobias Harris is a low-tier all-star at the very least.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#53 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 am

Clay Davis wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:
everdiso wrote:

Nah.

You can't be the leading volume scorer on a team in the play-off race in the West if you're super mediocre. Tobias Harris is a low-tier all-star at the very least.

He's been miscast on the 76ers. He needs the ball in his hands more to take advantage of his skills. He's a bad fit on that team.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#54 » by everdiso » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 am

Clay Davis wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:
everdiso wrote:

Nah.

Oh yeah you can, when that team is filled with better offensive and defensive players. Especially when you have an outlier year:

Career: .561 ts%
17 - 18: .565
'19 LAC: .605
'19 PHI: .562
19 - 20: .557
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Clay Davis » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:03 am

everdiso wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:
Super mediocre

Nah.

Oh yeah you can, when that team is filled with better offensive and defensive players. Especially when you have an outlier year:

Yeah this is a crappy argument lmao.

The only players who were better than him as #1 offense are Gallo and Lou Will. No one was talking about his defense, which is about average.

If he was not a good #1 option, the Clippers would never have been in the play off race to begin with. If you're saying that he was having a career year then... congrats, you're proving my point in saying that he was playing well.

Sent from my SM-A520W using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#56 » by everdiso » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
everdiso wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:Nah.

The only players who were better than him as #1 offense are Gallo and Lou Will. No one was talking about his defense, which is about average.

If he was not a good #1 option, the Clippers would never have been in the play off race to begin with. If you're saying that he was having a career year then... congrats, you're proving my point in saying that he was playing well.

The Clip were 30-25 (.545, 45w pace) and out of the playoffs with Harris.

They then went on an 18-9 run (.667, 55w pace) without him to make the playoffs.

What we saw there was the Clip executing a perfect pump and dump of a middling scorer on a hot streak.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#57 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Gallo is fine but someone is going to offer him more years than we should be willing to give him.

He is going to be 32 and while he is pretty solid when healthy, I have little confidence in his ability to stay healthy consistently over the term of his next contract.

Assuming he wants four years, I don't want to be the team paying him eight figures on the back-end of that deal.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Clay Davis » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:58 pm

everdiso wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
everdiso wrote:

The Clip were 30-25 (.545, 45w pace) and out of the playoffs with Harris.

They then went on an 18-9 run (.667, 55w pace) without him to make the playoffs.

What we saw there was the Clip executing a perfect pump and dump of a middling scorer on a hot streak.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190215054422/https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019_standings.html

Clippers were the 8th seed on February 14th. They were as high as the 4th seed a month before.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#59 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:31 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:Gallo is fine but someone is going to offer him more years than we should be willing to give him.

He is going to be 32 and while he is pretty solid when healthy, I have little confidence in his ability to stay healthy consistently over the term of his next contract.

Assuming he wants four years, I don't want to be the team paying him eight figures on the back-end of that deal.

Oof, if someone were willing to do 4 years at real $ it’d probably be a turd squad. Memphis and Phoenix have money and promise but are young, who knows if they want each other, Atlanta is farther away, nobody wants to go to Charlotte or Detroit or Cleveland. NY is NY and he obviously has history there but that’s a gong show. He may even re-up with OKC. Maybe he gets a partial guarantee on a 4th year if not the 3rd(my guess) at starter money but either way the Raps aren’t going to that level. Agree about not being the team who takes that chance on years, but what I could see is the Raps trading crap for him near the end of any deal he signs(with a turd squad) or signing him for the min if he were bought out- if he did happen to be healthy enough at that point to be like an 8th-9th man at 34-35. Always need shooting and we should be contenders because raps in 4 and whatnot. He’s a dude who could have a Mike Miller game whenever.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#60 » by jimmy keys » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:30 pm

C_Money wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:

no we don't.

Yes. SF is our weakest position.

nah

Return to Toronto Raptors