ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Cops kill George Floyd

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,641

Re: OT: Cops kill George Floyd 

Post#1621 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Free Palestine
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,032

Post#1622 » by Capn'O » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:10 pm

blanko wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
https://abc7chicago.com/cta-red-line-shooting-police-lawsuit-chicago-officer-involved/6136003/

Guy took a bullet to the buttocks & abdomen, home recovering as of April, filed a lawsuit, officers were stripped of their duties.

I wonder if defund the police should instead be de-arm the police or de-militarize the police.

The incentive structure is such that they’re better off killing someone and claiming they feared for their lives than seriously injuring.
Its a cultrual problem at the institutional lvl. There needs to be wide reforms/replacments especially at the police academy lvl.

As i tell people:yes there are those who are taking advantage of the situation for their own interests. However there wouldnt be a sitation had we as a nation addressed this issue decades ago.

Black people get it the worst but i have seen my friends from trailer parks be treated with so much disgust/disrespect by the police. This must change.

If a city/community wants to disband the police who are we to stop them? Its their community and they take the risks.

I see areas breaking away and/or wealth flight. Who knows?

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

I saw a well sourced graphic recently that put %s of deaths of white persons by police officers at a rate comparable to Egypt. That's... not good and consistent with the data I've seen from https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/. And that's for the group that overall faces far and away the least targeting from law enforcement. Still magnitudes away (in a bad way) from the next highest rate for any western country. To make no mention of other unnecessary uses of force, petty arrests, unlawful forfeitures, etc.

This country has a police violence problem generally AND a huge problem with racism. The nexus of the two is a disaster. I've always said - poor blacks and poor whites don't typically live in the same places. Can you imagine if they ever got together in earnest and compared notes?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,509

Post#1623 » by Fat Kat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#1624 » by Fat Kat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#1625 » by ITGM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sick F*cks!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1626 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 pm

We start off with the fact that cops are on a sociopathic power trip generally, unless you’re a white person who’s murdered a black person, then they treat you nicely.

But here’s a video of white cop abusing a very nice 69-year-old retired military police officer. The difference, of course, is that this guy is still alive thank goodness.

Free Palestine
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,441

Post#1627 » by KnicksGod » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:06 am

NYTimes has a thorough video going through the Brooks killing. It's pretty interesting what the cops say when Brooks is not present. Also notable and very depressing is the look on Brooks' face when he's trying to cooperate and he semi-agrees to a voluntary breathalyzer test after at first seeing if they'd just drop the matter. As the cop then walks back to get the test, there's a poignant moment where Brooks is on camera staring into space and shaking his head subtly, arms folded.

Pretty telling moment and like I said depressing. He knows this will end with going back to prison.

With these types of videos and crimes, the most revealing actions come when the person is alone. It's clear the cops didn't think this would escalate to where it went and it's different than the Floyd killing. But that points out another problem with law enforcement actions of this kind. They're surprised by his resistance to the arrest, and thus they're taken off guard by the struggle. That helps explain why it escalates so fast. They lose control fast.

Separate from the racism and the overreaction, there's a simple matter of them being unprepared and that helps lead to the spiral.

The other aspect of this that is relevant is that they don't anticipate the struggle because they make routine DUI arrests all the time, and Brooks is over the legal limit and is not able to sweet talk his way out of it (a white person could perhaps, a black person has no chance).

There's literally no empathy -- the cops just think it's a routine arrest of a guy in a Wendy's drive-through and, when Brooks is not there, the cop laughs about it literally (don't know which one). They don't put themselves in his shoes even enough to realize that a DUI means that with his priors, Brooks is going back to prison. So he has motivation to resist, compounded by the fact that there's real fear of any interaction with the cops.

Brooks about to be cycled back into the system for something rather minor. A neverending lack of hope or ability to keep momentum toward the normalization of his life. A white person who was trying to escape that cycle but couldn't because of this or that small thing would completely freak out. In fact, when they try to restrain big businesses from doing things like polluting the environment or bending the rules -- also known as regulations -- the almost unanimously wealthy white people who are Republican senators go nuts and call it a needless piece of redtape that is killing America ... and so on.

It's not a perfect analogy but my point is that there is a total lack of understanding of how little chance someone has to put their life on a good track, get a good job, make some money, be respected by the police and by society at large. Fall asleep at Wendy's having drank too much, go back to prison, and likely the cycle is gonna continue for good.

But oh just don't break the law and you'll be fine, if you're a rich guy who can afford to buy lobbyists or, if the laws don't change or happen to make an exception for you, a great white collar crime firm to get you off. The lack of justice obviously goes far beyond cops.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,441

Post#1628 » by KnicksGod » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12 am

... tl;dr: Brooks feels he has nothing to lose and in some ways he may be right. He seems to make a split but calculated decision that he's not going back to prison.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,581

Post#1629 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 am

man I keep trying to find a way through all of this and think positively because I have a one year old I am raising in this world but its tough.

We got COVID basically tearing down the country
We got cops power tripping and murdering people because of there racist behavior and actions.

and now reading what happened in Chicago over the weekend (with multiple deaths being kids)...just sickening and I get emotional

I keep asking myself where we go from here as a society because right now I'm struggling to find the light. I look at my 1 year old and his smile lights up my world and I going to raise him the right way but the world he's growing up in is in a pretty **** place right now.

*and I apologize if I'm straying off topic a bit from this issue I just didn't know where to put this and vent*
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1630 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:38 am

mpharris36 wrote:man I keep trying to find a way through all of this and think positively because I have a one year old I am raising in this world but its tough.

We got cops power tripping and murdering people because of there racist behavior and actions.

and now reading what happened in Chicago over the weekend (with multiple deaths being kids)...just sickening and I get emotional

I keep asking myself where we go from here as a society because right now I'm struggling to find the light. I look at my 1 year old and his smile lights up my world and I going to raise him the right way but the world he's growing up in is in a pretty **** place right now.

*and I apologize if I'm straying off topic a bit from this issue I just didn't know where to put this and vent*

King of Canada once mentioned a beautiful and underdeveloped part of Nova Scotia that is asking people to move there.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1631 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 am

mpharris36 wrote:man I keep trying to find a way through all of this and think positively because I have a one year old I am raising in this world but its tough.

King of Canada once mentioned a beautiful and underdeveloped part of Nova Scotia that is asking people to move there. Very pristine and quiet. We can start our own civilization! :lol:
Free Palestine
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,032

Post#1632 » by Capn'O » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 am

MP, my experience is that kids are amazing with this ****. Light on details but any time I've let Little 'O #1 know that Daddy's having a hard time with something I've been met with the most incredible empathy. You THREE are in this together now.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#1633 » by blanko » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:43 am

Capn'O wrote:
blanko wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
I wonder if defund the police should instead be de-arm the police or de-militarize the police.

The incentive structure is such that they’re better off killing someone and claiming they feared for their lives than seriously injuring.
Its a cultrual problem at the institutional lvl. There needs to be wide reforms/replacments especially at the police academy lvl.

As i tell people:yes there are those who are taking advantage of the situation for their own interests. However there wouldnt be a sitation had we as a nation addressed this issue decades ago.

Black people get it the worst but i have seen my friends from trailer parks be treated with so much disgust/disrespect by the police. This must change.

If a city/community wants to disband the police who are we to stop them? Its their community and they take the risks.

I saw a well sourced graphic recently that put %s of deaths of white persons by police officers at a rate comparable to Egypt. That's... not good and consistent with the data I've seen from https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/. And that's for the group that overall faces far and away the least targeting from law enforcement. Still magnitudes away (in a bad way) from the next highest rate for any western country. To make no mention of other unnecessary uses of force, petty arrests, unlawful forfeitures, etc.

This country has a police violence problem generally AND a huge problem with racism. The nexus of the two is a disaster. I've always said - poor blacks and poor whites don't typically live in the same places. Can you imagine if they ever got together in earnest and compared notes?
Im got gonna lie and say that me and my friends were assaulted by cops when we were young. Were were harrassed though (although at the time we thought it was normal, sad thinking back on it). My friends from the trailer parks outside Pittsburg would tell us horror storries abour how cops used to assault/abuse/disrespect them on a regular basis and call them "trash/ worst than a n*gger" to their faces.

Imagine what the cops would do to poor black people?

Btw defund the police is the worst marketing strategy in the history of man like andrew shultz said. Charla said it best: remix the police.

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,049

Post#1634 » by GONYK » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:53 am

Read on Twitter
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#1635 » by Fat Kat » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:41 am

Read on Twitter
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,403

Post#1636 » by robillionaire » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:15 am

blanko wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
blanko wrote:Its a cultrual problem at the institutional lvl. There needs to be wide reforms/replacments especially at the police academy lvl.

Im got gonna lie and say that me and my friends were assaulted by cops when we were young. Were were harrassed though (although at the time we thought it was normal, sad thinking back on it). My friends from the trailer parks outside Pittsburg would tell us horror storries abour how cops used to assault/abuse/disrespect them on a regular basis and call them "trash/ worst than a n*gger" to their faces.

Btw defund the police is the worst marketing strategy in the history of man like andrew shultz said. Charla said it best: remix the police.

They did remix the police it was runaway slave patrols and they remixed it into the modern police just like they reimagined and remixed slavery into mass incarceration Idk if we can handle the latest way they try remix oppression

Defund is a bad marketing strategy because it actually calls for something direct instead of vague nothings
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1637 » by E-Balla » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:04 pm

robillionaire wrote:
blanko wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

They did remix the police it was runaway slave patrols and they remixed it into the modern police just like they reimagined and remixed slavery into mass incarceration Idk if we can handle the latest way they try remix oppression

Defund is a bad marketing strategy because it actually calls for something direct instead of vague nothings

Basically. Like what remix of the police can possibly be effective without completely slashing police budgets?

And why is anyone seeing Schultz and Charlamagne as well informed minds in all this? What would either of them know about the issues that plague US policing?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#1638 » by j4remi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:55 pm

E-Balla wrote:Basically. Like what remix of the police can possibly be effective without completely slashing police budgets?

And why is anyone seeing Schultz and Charlamagne as well informed minds in all this? What would either of them know about the issues that plague US policing?

I remember a Brilliant Idiots episode where they spent like an hour calling Schultz out for pushing dumb alt-right politics. Was that a bit? Either way dude ain't a voice to be taken seriously in my book. It wasn't even all that long ago.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1639 » by GONYK » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:11 pm

Remix the police is also a terrible slogan for different reasons
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1640 » by GONYK » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I'm posting this only because this dude is seen as a thought leader in conservative spaces. The types of people who think they aren't racist, and just go where the "facts" lead them.

I think it's worth discussing, because I think the argument he's making is pretty much counterfeit, but it's what black Americans and others who want to see change are up against, by and large.

Return to New York Knicks