ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 250 Nunes vs Spencer: top to bottom good fights again 

Post#821 » by j4remi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:23 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote::x I
j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Emmett bs Burgos!

Absolutely fantastic fight. Give those men their bonus money!

Yep. Move both fights up the rankings. I thought the injury to Emmett was going to do him in but he showed lots of heart to come back and win it.

Who you see them each fighting next?

This is definitely one of those fights where I don't think either guy should lose stock for as good as it was. In terms of who they should fight next, it's a bit tricky to pick. For Emmett, after winning a war with an up and comer ranked below him; he deserves a higher ranked opponent next. The problem with that is all 8 guys ranked ahead of him are negotiating to fight mostly with each other (Frankie Edgar is the exception since he moved down a weight class).

In a perfect world, I'd go with Emmett vs the winner of Ige vs Kattar. You'd keep all the guys who are best with their hands fighting each other and the match-ups would be entertaining plus line somebody up for a contender match-up next. If Emmett was willing though, I'd LOVE a match-up with 15th ranked Sodiq Yusuff. Yusuff has similar hand speed and incredible power to boot, he's arguably the most hyped prospect in the whole division.

Since I'm expecting Emmett to wait for one of the top 6 to shake free; I'd have Yusuff fight Burgos instead. Yusuff presents a lot of the same issues Emmett did minus the wrestling to steal a close round but packing even more power. That should force Burgos to fight a more defensively sound fight instead of letting his chin be his defense. Another option that would force Burgos to tighten up on his biggest weakness would be Jeremy Stephens. Just give him someone with power that forces him to stay honest.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 250 Nunes vs Spencer: top to bottom good fights again 

Post#822 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:32 pm

j4remi wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Yep. Move both fights up the rankings. I thought the injury to Emmett was going to do him in but he showed lots of heart to come back and win it.

This is definitely one of those fights where I don't think either guy should lose stock for as good as it was. In terms of who they should fight next, it's a bit tricky to pick. For Emmett, after winning a war with an up and comer ranked below him; he deserves a higher ranked opponent next. The problem with that is all 8 guys ranked ahead of him are negotiating to fight mostly with each other (Frankie Edgar is the exception since he moved down a weight class).

In a perfect world, I'd go with Emmett vs the winner of Ige vs Kattar. You'd keep all the guys who are best with their hands fighting each other and the match-ups would be entertaining plus line somebody up for a contender match-up next. If Emmett was willing though, I'd LOVE a match-up with 15th ranked Sodiq Yusuff. Yusuff has similar hand speed and incredible power to boot, he's arguably the most hyped prospect in the whole division.

Since I'm expecting Emmett to wait for one of the top 6 to shake free; I'd have Yusuff fight Burgos instead. Yusuff presents a lot of the same issues Emmett did minus the wrestling to steal a close round but packing even more power. That should force Burgos to fight a more defensively sound fight instead of letting his chin be his defense. Another option that would force Burgos to tighten up on his biggest weakness would be Jeremy Stephens. Just give him someone with power that forces him to stay honest.

Yes, Burgos definitely has to tighten up that defense. He should hire Gaethje’s coach.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#823 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:08 pm

j4remi wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Emmett said after that fight that he refuses to fight anyone that isn't ranked higher than him anymore. He was actually really upset with the fight game media about how they underrate him and pretty sure he was the underdog with Vegas betting last night as well. Gotta give it up to Burgos for taking all those punches he took from a guy that hits as hard as Emmett does and don't think he should be looked down on for that performance he gave last night even with the loss.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#824 » by Jkam31 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Why are we not getting Colby vs Marty part 2
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#825 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:32 am

Jkam31 wrote:Why are we not getting Colby vs Marty part 2

I think because Marty broke his fcking jaw.
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#826 » by j4remi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 pm

The UFC tends to be shaky on giving guys a title rematch off a stoppage (I think that's a reason why Colby was so pissed at the ref). They wanted to line him up with Woodley before Burns took the fight, so he very well coulda been a good performance away from his rematch. Instead Burns put on a clinic vs Woodley and leap frogged everybody.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#827 » by j4remi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:14 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Emmett said after that fight that he refuses to fight anyone that isn't ranked higher than him anymore. He was actually really upset with the fight game media about how they underrate him and pretty sure he was the underdog with Vegas betting last night as well. Gotta give it up to Burgos for taking all those punches he took from a guy that hits as hard as Emmett does and don't think he should be looked down on for that performance he gave last night even with the loss.

I feel him for that. He's perpetually slept on for a guy that has been steady one of the toughest guys in the 145 division. Unfortunately for him the knee injury will take him off the table long enough that he's gonna have to re-establish himself again. To add salt to the wound, I haven't been able to verify but I'm seeing heads say that Burgos is losing 4 spots in the rankings while Emmett's not moving up at all. If that's real, Emmett deserves to be really pissed off.

We should get another absolute beast match-up this weekend too when Poirier fights Dan Hooker too. Hooker mocked a dude newcomer that tapped between the second and third rounds for a fight he had 5 days to prepare for; so I'm rooting for Poirier to humble him.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#828 » by Jkam31 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:50 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Colby won a round after that

j4remi wrote:

The UFC tends to be shaky on giving guys a title rematch off a stoppage (I think that's a reason why Colby was so pissed at the ref). They wanted to line him up with Woodley before Burns took the fight, so he very well coulda been a good performance away from his rematch. Instead Burns put on a clinic vs Woodley and leap frogged everybody.

Woodley is washed though he’s just showing up for money they need to pay up get Colby vs Jorge than winner gets a title shot
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#829 » by Fury » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:57 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Colby won a round after that

One round on one scorecard that had him 3-1
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#830 » by j4remi » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:39 pm

Free UFC tn with a banging main event and and an absolute side show co-main.

The main reason to watch tonight is Dan Hooker vs Poirier in the main event. They're both tough as hell, striking heavy types who tend to mix it up. Poirier KO'ed Gaethje before losing to Khabib and Hooker just cracked the top 5 in the deepest division in MMA. These dudes are gonna get after it, I'm expecting Dustin to KO Hooker personally. Hooker's got a lot of length but he's too hittable for someone with Diamond's power.

The co-main event is two guys that I don't much care for, but the story behind it is wild. Mike Perry and Mickey Gall are the same age. Both came in as hyped prospects and have been up and down but mostly disappointing. Gall is coming off of a win and has shown some growth. Perry is coming off 2 straight losses but to better guys than Gall has ever fought. Perry is a tough as nails, brawler while Gall is a grappler through and through. Normally, I'd be extremely confident picking Perry but here's where the side show aspect pops. Perry has bounced around camps for a while and decided that he doesn't need coaches anymore. His corner is going to consist of his new GF who wrestled in highschool...and then I assume whatever the UFC assigns, so cutman and that sort. We get the added bonus of an empty arena so between rounds, we'll hear the strategic conversations here.

That's also a powder keg for betting. Gall is a huge underdog, moreso if you predict finishes. But Perry is also pretty bad on the ground without anyone to coach him out of trouble if the fight goes there. I think Gall becomes a live bet as a more than 3 to 1 dog and god forbid he wins by KO or TKO in the 1st round...34 to 1 odds. Bare in mind Perry just took his first KO and ground and pound stoppage isn't out of the question.

Other names to watch for. Luis Pena vs Khama Worthy has fun written all over it; Jinh Yu Frey finally gets into the UFC but undersized (she's a live underdog bet imo); and finally Sean Woodson is 7-0 and made a main card against a beatable opponent for his UFC debut, prospect watch begins.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#831 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 pm

Violent Bob Ross is hands down the best nickname in MMA
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#832 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:27 am

Allen vs. Daukaus was tremendous.
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#833 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 am

Mike Perry with the Post-fight Interview of the Year.
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#834 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:13 am

Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robots
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#835 » by j4remi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:22 am

This has been one hell of a fight card.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#836 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:35 am

Hooker vs. Poirier highlights are in

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#837 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:36 am

One of the best UFC fight I’ve ever watched
POSTING POLICIES:
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,507

Post#838 » by Buttah304 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:49 am

That was the best UFC main event fight I’ve seen in years
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#839 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:13 pm

2nd best fight of the year

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#840 » by j4remi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:24 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:2nd best fight of the year

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

I'm back and forth between Hooker vs Poirier and Zhang vs Joanna for FOTY. Usman vs Colby was in December, but I feel like it deserves mention with those two for how great it was. We've gotten some absolute gems.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks