Image ImageImage Image

2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick #7 (probably) 

Post#1461 » by MrFortune3 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:05 pm

This draft is crucial for the Bulls. This will be the draft that begins to set the tone for the culture that AK and Evs plan to establish for this team.
I expect them to be heavily involved with trying to gain multiple picks and taking shots on players they believe in.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#1462 » by sco » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:45 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:This draft is crucial for the Bulls. This will be the draft that begins to set the tone for the culture that AK and Evs plan to establish for this team.
I expect them to be heavily involved with trying to gain multiple picks and taking shots on players they believe in.

When you're bad, every draft is crucial. I think that the combination of there not being many, if any, obvious franchise players in this draft along with the FO still having a long leash, will lead the FO to just draft the BPA at whatever their number is...possibly trading up, down or trying to nab another (later) 1st, if there is someone their scouting falls in love with still on the board. I really don't see a BIG move though.
:clap:
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#1463 » by Jvaughn » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:51 pm

sco wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:This draft is crucial for the Bulls. This will be the draft that begins to set the tone for the culture that AK and Evs plan to establish for this team.

When you're bad, every draft is crucial. I think that the combination of there not being many, if any, obvious franchise players in this draft along with the FO still having a long leash, will lead the FO to just draft the BPA at whatever their number is...possibly trading up, down or trying to nab another (later) 1st, if there is someone their scouting falls in love with still on the board. I really don't see a BIG move though.

I'll be very satisfied if they're at least active on draft day by trading up, trading down to gain another asset or purchasing another 2nd rounder.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
sco
RealGM

Post#1464 » by sco » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:00 am

Jvaughn wrote:
sco wrote:

I'll be very satisfied if they're at least active on draft day by trading up, trading down to gain another asset or purchasing another 2nd rounder.

I really don't want a second guy on draft day. Teams with a majority of their rotation players in their first 3 seasons rarely, if ever, succeed at developing those guys. IMO, a big part of player development is playing alongside 3 or 4 vets when you are on the floor. Best case, we'll still be trotting out Lauri (who is developmentally behind due to injury), WCJ, Hutch, Gafford, White and our 1st. That's 3 guys more than I think we can develop, but I'll be optimistic that Lauri will take a vet step forward. I would be excited if they did a young guy consolidation trade, but doubt they'll get good value for our guys this offseason.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#1465 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 am

sco wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:
sco wrote:When you're bad, every draft is crucial. I think that the combination of there not being many, if any, obvious franchise players in this draft along with the FO still having a long leash, will lead the FO to just draft the BPA at whatever their number is...possibly trading up, down or trying to nab another (later) 1st, if there is someone their scouting falls in love with still on the board. I really don't see a BIG move though.

I really don't want a second guy on draft day. Teams with a majority of their rotation players in their first 3 seasons rarely, if ever, succeed at developing those guys. IMO, a big part of player development is playing alongside 3 or 4 vets when you are on the floor. Best case, we'll still be trotting out Lauri (who is developmentally behind due to injury), WCJ, Hutch, Gafford, White and our 1st. That's 3 guys more than I think we can develop, but I'll be optimistic that Lauri will take a vet step forward. I would be excited if they did a young guy consolidation trade, but doubt they'll get good value for our guys this offseason.

I agree. You look at the times where the Bulls got themselves in long-term trouble... it was when they were a farm house of youth. 99-05; the cycle ended, but A. Davis and that bench (Piatkowski, Othella, A. Griffin) were old-timers. For new-comers, Kirk and Noc were 24 and 25. Chandler and Curry were on their 4th year of growing up.

Then the vets left and the Bulls declined. Then there was a new load of fresh picks: Tyrus, Thabo, Noah. Deng and Gordon were still young. Once Wallace checked out and PJ expired and left, they regressed even further until the 1.7% Rose miracle. Then they actually plateau'd despite getting a superstar PG; that team was fighting to get to .500. Once Thibs came, that 19-22yo culture was totally gone besides for the virtuosic Rose and Asik.

Then the process began again; Snell and Doug were just bad picks, but also the wrong direction for addressing wing depth for a contender (that was needed after Deng's departure). From 15 on, the Bulls just kept amassing picks and it's been a mess.

I never saw the allure. I just saw it as a really easy way to excite a fan-base and lower salary cost. Hornets had a nice little home-run of mid/late picks, and so what? I don't have them winning anything ever with the present roster construction. I'd like the Bulls to draft smart but also balance the roster out. Having a lot of rookie contracts is a recipe for disaster. They'll need big extensions by the time they're ready to win.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#1466 » by rtblues » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Maybe start a new thread just for Deni, jeez!
Lots of names out there other than his btw...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#1467 » by MGB8 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:51 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
sco wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:

I agree. You look at the times where the Bulls got themselves in long-term trouble... it was when they were a farm house of youth. 99-05; the cycle ended, but A. Davis and that bench (Piatkowski, Othella, A. Griffin) were old-timers. For new-comers, Kirk and Noc were 24 and 25. Chandler and Curry were on their 4th year of growing up.

Then the vets left and the Bulls declined. Then there was a new load of fresh picks: Tyrus, Thabo, Noah. Deng and Gordon were still young. Once Wallace checked out and PJ expired and left, they regressed even further until the 1.7% Rose miracle. Then they actually plateau'd despite getting a superstar PG; that team was fighting to get to .500. Once Thibs came, that 19-22yo culture was totally gone besides for the virtuosic Rose and Asik.

Then the process began again; Snell and Doug were just bad picks, but also the wrong direction for addressing wing depth for a contender (that was needed after Deng's departure). From 15 on, the Bulls just kept amassing picks and it's been a mess.

I never saw the allure. I just saw it as a really easy way to excite a fan-base and lower salary cost. Hornets had a nice little home-run of mid/late picks, and so what? I don't have them winning anything ever with the present roster construction. I'd like the Bulls to draft smart but also balance the roster out. Having a lot of rookie contracts is a recipe for disaster. They'll need big extensions by the time they're ready to win.

I think that folks may be talking past each other. I think when people talk about getting more draft assets, they are thinking about moving on from some of our current young guys who either aren't developing much or showing a lot of upside, and "churning" the young guys on the roster a la Hinkie in the hope of finding cornerstone players.

That said, young teams can be relatively successful - Memphis, for example, starts a rookie at PG, a 2nd year player at PF, a 3rd year player at one wing (Brooks), and then a 27 year old center and a 29 year old small forward, with key reserves being a rookie PF, a 23 yaer old PG, a 21 year old guard, a 26 year old forward, and, in the more recent part of the season, 22 year old, 3rd year wing (who looked like a bust previously). Granted, they are in the 8th seed in the West and just under .500, but they are reasonably successful.

The Miami Heat have Butler, but their other starters, who they really heavily on, are a 3 year F/C, a rookie guard (Nunn), a 2nd year forward (Robinson), and more and more a rookie Shooting guard. Yeah, they have 27 year old Meyers Leonard starting, added Iguodala, still have 33 year old Dragic and 28 year old Olynic playing key bench roles, but they also use 22 year old Derrick Jones as a key reserve.

And the Nuggets are another example of a young team, with Jokic at 24 years old and Jamal Murray at 22 years old being their main pieces, 25 year old Jerami Grant as their staring 3 and 25 year old Gary Harris their starting 2. Yeah, they have 34 year old Millsap, and 29 y/olds Barton, Plumlee, and Craig (the last who is a 3rd year player) ... but also 24 year old 3rd year man Monte Morris and 21 year old effective rookie Michael Porter.

I think many folks have a large amount of doubt that any of the current Bulls players are really cornerstone pieces. I know that I do - LaVine, for all of his flaws, being the closest thing to one.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1468 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:03 pm

sco wrote:

I don't expect them to make some massive move to land #1 pick or anything of that nature.
I expect them to be aggressive and possibly move back/buy back into the later first for a guy they love or grab some extra 2nds to spend on developing guys.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1469 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:04 pm

rtblues wrote:Maybe start a new thread just for Deni, jeez!
Lots of names out there other than his btw...

Nonsense. Thou shalt not put any player before Deni. :lol:
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1470 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:07 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
sco wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:

In those instances it was a clear tear down and gut the team scenario. They thought they'd pick guys and mesh them together and win. They didn't really have a plan to develop them.

The plan isn't to simply tear everything down and build from scratch like it has been in the past.
They have a clear desire to enhance development and they want to key in on young players not only already on the team but through the draft as well.

We need as much young talent as possible to help design a sustainable culture of winning.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#1471 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 pm

MGB8 wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
sco wrote:I really don't want a second guy on draft day. Teams with a majority of their rotation players in their first 3 seasons rarely, if ever, succeed at developing those guys. IMO, a big part of player development is playing alongside 3 or 4 vets when you are on the floor. Best case, we'll still be trotting out Lauri (who is developmentally behind due to injury), WCJ, Hutch, Gafford, White and our 1st. That's 3 guys more than I think we can develop, but I'll be optimistic that Lauri will take a vet step forward. I would be excited if they did a young guy consolidation trade, but doubt they'll get good value for our guys this offseason.

I think that folks may be talking past each other. I think when people talk about getting more draft assets, they are thinking about moving on from some of our current young guys who either aren't developing much or showing a lot of upside, and "churning" the young guys on the roster a la Hinkie in the hope of finding cornerstone players.

That said, young teams can be relatively successful - Memphis, for example, starts a rookie at PG, a 2nd year player at PF, a 3rd year player at one wing (Brooks), and then a 27 year old center and a 29 year old small forward, with key reserves being a rookie PF, a 23 yaer old PG, a 21 year old guard, a 26 year old forward, and, in the more recent part of the season, 22 year old, 3rd year wing (who looked like a bust previously). Granted, they are in the 8th seed in the West and just under .500, but they are reasonably successful.

The Miami Heat have Butler, but their other starters, who they really heavily on, are a 3 year F/C, a rookie guard (Nunn), a 2nd year forward (Robinson), and more and more a rookie Shooting guard. Yeah, they have 27 year old Meyers Leonard starting, added Iguodala, still have 33 year old Dragic and 28 year old Olynic playing key bench roles, but they also use 22 year old Derrick Jones as a key reserve.

And the Nuggets are another example of a young team, with Jokic at 24 years old and Jamal Murray at 22 years old being their main pieces, 25 year old Jerami Grant as their staring 3 and 25 year old Gary Harris their starting 2. Yeah, they have 34 year old Millsap, and 29 y/olds Barton, Plumlee, and Craig (the last who is a 3rd year player) ... but also 24 year old 3rd year man Monte Morris and 21 year old effective rookie Michael Porter.

I think many folks have a large amount of doubt that any of the current Bulls players are really cornerstone pieces. I know that I do - LaVine, for all of his flaws, being the closest thing to one.

Yeah, but the important thing with the Heat is Riley did not (at all) prioritize the drafts. He basically kept (re-)signing veteran talent (Whiteside, Johnson, Waiters, etc.) while being over the cap. Bam and last year's additions were all quiet mid-picks (Herro) or undrafted (Nunn). They had no picks in 2016 and 18. Winslow was the highest pick, and at no point did it seem like Riley was building around him.

The difference with the Bulls, is they somehow gave us the impression that Valentine, Portis, Lauri, Dunn up to Wendell and Hutchinson were actually worth something as a core, when I quickly saw that you might as well have signed Derrick Rose to a $7m contract and have a little fun. Furthermore, the FO consciously sided with the youth, making it clear they disapproved of the way Wade and Jimmy scolded the young players by eagerly severing ties with both of them (who I suppose were right all along to doubt Jimmy's leadership...? Ha).

Bam was different. He was an interesting prospect. The no-brainer type of pick at #14 (I guess GarPax were more enamored with Justin Patton).

Millsap, Barton and Plumlee were important players on that Nuggets team when Jokic and Murray were in their early stages. Gallinari, Chandler and Faried were still around when Jokic and Murray were rookies. You can browse through their rosters from 15-18. More than half the team was older than 25, with a lot of really old vets too like Richard Jefferson, Mike Miller, Hibbert, Jameer Nelson and Devin Harris. For whatever reason, GarPax have abstained from bringing in vet. min. guys like that the last few years. For example, I dunno why they didn't make an effort to get someone like Vince Carter, Melo, Noah, McGee or bring Tyson Chandler home. These guys were looking for jobs, and the Bulls sucked. What are they, gonna corrupt the youth? I'm not talking about giving $25m Wade contracts, but these guys were going for vet min.

It's not like I see any significant trajectory for Valentine, for example. Even if he looks like he is capable of being a nice 10th man for a contender, you don't need to sit on him for 4 years. He's not the point-wing we thought he could be. I'd rather have spent that $3m on a Vince Carter who'll teach Coby and Zach a thing or two about surviving the NBA for 20+ years and being a perennial all-star.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 646

Post#1472 » by Rose2Boozer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:18 am

2021 is going to be a good year.

B.J Boston

Cade Cunningham

ROLES & HOLES
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,223

Post#1473 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 pm

Don't forget Jalen Green, who will push for that number one spot.

I think next years draft has a few guys that are franchise cornerstone players. This draft has none.

If the Bulls have any chance to add a lottery pick next year, including trading out this year, they should do it.

KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1474 » by Dresden » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 am

I think the biggest thing with the pick this year is that AK is going to look for a player that fits his system (or the coach's). It may not be the highest rated player on the board, but it will be a guy that he thinks fits in with his scheme.
sco
RealGM

Post#1475 » by sco » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Dresden wrote:I think the biggest thing with the pick this year is that AK is going to look for a player that fits his system (or the coach's). It may not be the highest rated player on the board, but it will be a guy that he thinks fits in with his scheme.

Did he say that he would pick a "system fit player" over the best player available or are you guessing?
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1476 » by Dresden » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:32 pm

sco wrote:
Dresden wrote:I think the biggest thing with the pick this year is that AK is going to look for a player that fits his system (or the coach's). It may not be the highest rated player on the board, but it will be a guy that he thinks fits in with his scheme.

Did he say that he would pick a "system fit player" over the best player available or are you guessing?

That's just my guess. They could be one and the same.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1477 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:06 pm

Given that's not usually how Denver nor Philly did it...I doubt that happens.
They usually took the most talented guy and developed them.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#1478 » by Jcool0 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Read on Twitter
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1479 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Future Bull putting in that work!
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#1480 » by CoreyVillains » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Not a guy on our radar unless AK trades back, but he’s a fun player to watch with a sweet stroke.

Return to Chicago Bulls