ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions thread - To the offseason!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Re: Trades and Transactions thread - To the offseason! 

Post#921 » by god shammgod » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:40 pm

the pacers were noticeably worse when oladpio came back. could be he needs more time but who knows. probably it's more like gordon hayward than mcdyess, paying him the max would still be a mistake either way.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#922 » by god shammgod » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:41 pm

drummond picking up his option, even though i doubt the knicks were after him still. have to figure everyone with a decent option will pick it up rather than test this market.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#923 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 pm

RHODEY wrote:

Where these the trades you were talking about yesterday?

If so here's my take...

1. Randle, Brazdeikis, 2021 Dallas 1st for Oladipo

I would do this from the Knicks standpoint. Oladipo is a risk for sure because of health issues but if he wasn't you'd not be able to get for just this package I don't think. The cost to risk ratio is minimal for the Knicks. Brazdeikis is a good story and all but I don't see him ever playing for the Knicks and never really being anything more than a solid role player for some team in the NBA. Baring some significant injuries to Doncic and Porzingis I expect that Dallas 1st rounder to be bottom 15. That's the range where you find role players. So Randle plus 2 role players in all likelihood for a chance that Oladidpo can return to All-Star form (he's just 27) is worth it.

For the Pacers? They honestly may be better of just seeing what Oladipo can give them to start the season and then trade him at the deadline if that's their intent.

2. Randle for Cody Zeller

Not really a fan of this trade for reasons already specified.

Yes, Zeller fits better. But that's because role players rarely impact a team enough to be considered in either extreme and by default, he's viewed less negatively, especially from afar. I would expect that the Hornets include another asset of some sort for this to be more realistic for me.

3. Randle for Aaron Gordon

Aaron Gordon is tantalizing and he can put up some aerial shows. He's built like an NBA beast and you can argue pretty easily that that system in Orlando really didn't fit his game. He defends and he can score enough to keep defenders honest. His problem is that he just can't create shots for himself. And he's clearly less talented than Randle. So on this team he's also going to continue to struggle.

If the Knicks were able to get someone like CP3 to run the point then absolutely I'd do this deal cause Gordon IMO has a very wide window of how good and impactful he can be based on the system he's put in. The value level for both guys are about the same so it's a matter of who do you think will fit better and Gordon probably fits better for the Knicks.

4. Randle for Gary Harris, future 1st

I don't think it's worth taking on that extra year of Gary Harris' contract if all the Knicks are going to get is one of the worst 1st round picks in the draft. Harris needs to volume shoot to be effective. He needs the ball in his hands and be doing the same type of things that Knick fans complain about about Randle to be effective. No real reason if you didn't want Randle why you would want a SG version of him for an extra year at $20 million? Just for a most likely bottom of the 1st round draft pick?

5. Randle for Patty Mills, Trey Lyles, Derrick White

Pass. Who are the Knicks going to drop from the roster? I've never understood the fascination with Patty Mills. He's got mediocre athleticism, mediocre skills and a mediocre game. Trey Lyles is almost useless. Derrick White? Eh...not enough.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Post#924 » by RHODEY » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:20 pm

moocow007 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

If so here's my take...

I would do this from the Knicks standpoint. Oladipo is a risk for sure because of health issues but if he wasn't you'd not be able to get for just this package I don't think. The cost to risk ratio is minimal for the Knicks. Brazdeikis is a good story and all but I don't see him ever playing for the Knicks and never really being anything more than a solid role player for some team in the NBA. Baring some significant injuries to Doncic and Porzingis I expect that Dallas 1st rounder to be bottom 15. That's the range where you find role players. So Randle plus 2 role players in all likelihood for a chance that Oladidpo can return to All-Star form (he's just 27) is worth it.

For the Pacers? They honestly may be better of just seeing what Oladipo can give them to start the season and then trade him at the deadline if that's their intent.

Yes, Zeller fits better. But that's because role players rarely impact a team enough to be considered in either extreme and by default, he's viewed less negatively, especially from afar. I would expect that the Hornets include another asset of some sort for this to be more realistic for me.

Aaron Gordon is tantalizing and he can put up some aerial shows. He's built like an NBA beast and you can argue pretty easily that that system in Orlando really didn't fit his game. He defends and he can score enough to keep defenders honest. His problem is that he just can't create shots for himself. And he's clearly less talented than Randle. So on this team he's also going to continue to struggle.

If the Knicks were able to get someone like CP3 to run the point then absolutely I'd do this deal cause Gordon IMO has a very wide window of how good and impactful he can be based on the system he's put in. The value level for both guys are about the same so it's a matter of who do you think will fit better and Gordon probably fits better for the Knicks.

I don't think it's worth taking on that extra year of Gary Harris' contract if all the Knicks are going to get is one of the worst 1st round picks in the draft. Harris needs to volume shoot to be effective. He needs the ball in his hands and be doing the same type of things that Knick fans complain about about Randle to be effective. No real reason if you didn't want Randle why you would want a SG version of him for an extra year at $20 million? Just for a most likely bottom of the 1st round draft pick?

Pass. Who are the Knicks going to drop from the roster? I've never understood the fascination with Patty Mills. He's got mediocre athleticism, mediocre skills and a mediocre game. Trey Lyles is almost useless. Derrick White? Eh...not enough.

Thanks, nice takes, I agree for the most part with one exception. I would be all over that trade with the Spurs, Derrick White has stud potential IMO.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#925 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:38 pm

RHODEY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

If so here's my take...

Thanks, nice takes, I agree for the most part with one exception. I would be all over that trade with the Spurs, Derrick White has stud potential IMO.

I'm not so sure that Randle is a Spurs kind of player.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#926 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:45 pm

A team with Oladipo, Barrett (assuming he can progress along his Jimmy Butler track), Robinson (if he can become a more focused and meaner player) and whomever they draft in the lottery could be very enticing for a big boy like Giannis in 2021. That's how you can attract the big fish. Not just by drafting but by drafting and a key trade. It goes into why I do think that Thibs would be the best options for both Barrett and Robinson from a development standpoint (Butler and Noah are realistic projections in terms of impact for our current favorite sons).
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#927 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:18 am

RHODEY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

If so here's my take...

And Gary Harris plays defense so he can't be a smaller version of J.Randle.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#928 » by RHODEY » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:58 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

If so here's my take...

And Gary Harris plays defense so he can't be a smaller version of J.Randle.

I rarely watched the Nuggets but I did watch them a few seasons ago ...that version of Gary Harris was very solid. Don't know what happened to him since then.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#929 » by RHODEY » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:59 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

If so here's my take...

I'm not so sure that Randle is a Spurs kind of player.

Right but I guess he'd be a decent replacement for Aldrige...
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Re: Knick of Time Article: Trading spins for wins. Julius Randle Trades 

Post#930 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:19 am

falcindor wrote:What do you think about trading Julius Randle?

3 Julius Randle Trades

https://theknickoftimeshow.com/trading-spins-for-wins-exploring-julius-randle-trades/

I wrote the article for The Knick of Time Show website. I know the trades are controversial.

I liked all trades, specially Zellers and Oladipos trade. Any trade that Randle have positive value I like.

1) Zellers contract end next season. We dont have to carry dead cap space from Randles contract to 2021/22 season. In addition to that, we get a early Second.

2) We will be getting Oladipo for Randle, Dennis and 2 Late FRPs. Dallas 2023 pick is a Top 10 protected and Dallas looks like a contender for the next few years. Oladipo is a good name. I know its risky because the injury history and the max contract we will have to give to re-sign him . But its the better available FA that we have a shot for the next few years. Although we could roll the dice and try to get him for free in 2021 or lowball Indiana for a better deal (maybe a sign and trade deal). The odds is very little because I assume Heat, Spurs and Raptors will go after him.

3) Begley is a good player. But I dont know what is his role. Is he a PF or a Center? Will he be able to be a reliable outside shooter or defend the rim. At the moment, his game is similar to Randle. I dont know if he is a nice fit. Besides, we would to carry Joseph 5M dead cap space if we waive his partial 2021/22 guaranteed contract. Anyway I dont think Kings would want that trade, the value received is too small to get a former second pick.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#931 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:21 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Could Demar Derozan play the four...?
Asking for a friend.

Only to Houston Rockets if he were a reliable 3 pt shooter. He is 6,6.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#932 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:37 am

moocow007 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

If so here's my take...

I dont think any of these trades are viable (excepting the Zellers trade). They all favors the Knicks.

Anyway, I dont like the Spurs trade and the Zellers trade would be the last resort to get rid of Randle.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#933 » by RHODEY » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:43 am

Richard4444 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

If so here's my take...

I dont think any of these trades are viable (excepting the Zellers trade). They all favors the Knicks.

Anyway, I dont like the Spurs trade and the Zellers trade would be the last resort to get rid of Randle.

I have to disagree, I believe the Orlando and Denver trades are fair deals... and you could even argue the Knicks give up more talent.

ic.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#934 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:48 am

RHODEY wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

If so here's my take...

I have to disagree, I believe the Orlando and Denver trades are fair deals... and you could even argue the Knicks give up more talent.

ic.

Gordon has a lot more value than Randle. And Denver would not give a pick to get Randle.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#935 » by RHODEY » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:55 am

Richard4444 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

ic.

Gordon has a lot more value than Randle. And Denver would not give a pick to get Randle.

I don't believe Gordon has more value than Randle, he's never put up the same production and he's regressed the last few seasons. They are comparable IMO, but Randle is the more skilled player. I dont believe a pick was involved in that trade proposal.
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,396

Post#936 » by Strick » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:23 am

Read on Twitter

I would love if we picked him up. I always thought there was potential there with him
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,841

Post#937 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,396

Post#938 » by Strick » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:26 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
Read on Twitter

I remember him killing us in SL. Pretty damn explosive for his size IIRC

22 years old vs 27 years old for Allen. I liked that Allen played hard but hard to get upset with them moving on
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#939 » by knickstape21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:34 pm

Harper is fearless. Fun get!
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#940 » by Polk377 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:58 am

A guy not many are talking about that I would be interested in getting is Buddy Hield. We need someone who can shoot the 3 at a high rate and Hield fits in with RJ and possibly Ball if he ends up on the Knicks. He just signed a 4 year deal that goes from 24 mil his 1st year and descending to 18 mil his last year. Sac is looking to move him if they are dead set on keeping Bogdonovic. Hield for Randle makes sense.

Return to New York Knicks