Troy Weaver Says He Wants To Surround Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose With 'Mixture Of Young Guys'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Troy Weaver Says He Wants To Surround Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose With 'Mixture Of Young Guys' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 am

Troy Weaver said he wanted to build the Detroit Pistons around Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose at his introductory news conference.

"I know he's anxious to get back and show people what kind of player he is after just playing a few games last year, but as long as Blake is in a Pistons uniform and under contract, I look forward to working with him in helping us restore the Pistons. He's definitely in our plans going forward," said Weaver.

Weaver also described Rose as a "big time" player.

Griffin has a player option in the 2021-22 season, while Rose has one more season remaining on his deal.

Weaver added that he wanted to surround Rose and Griffin with a mix of young players.

"We're excited to get them healthy and help them move forward. We feel like we have a good mixture of young guys with those two staples to be able to start there, but obviously we've got a lot of work to do with the draft and free agency."

Via Eric Woodyard/ESPN

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Re: Troy Weaver Says He Wants To Surround Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose With 'Mixture Of Young Guys' 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 am

It’s Weavers first address and he said the right things. I can only hope he’s thinking that he needs to unload these two vets.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Re: Troy Weaver Says He Wants To Surround Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose With 'Mixture Of Young Guys' 

Post#3 » by JulesWinnfield » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Surrounding Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose with anything other than a time machine is a recipe for disaster.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Post#4 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:23 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:Surrounding Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose with anything other than a time machine is a recipe for disaster.

I love both guys, but damn, that team doctor better be the highest paid in the nba.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#5 » by TPA » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:06 am

And that is exactly what he should say and do... Nothing to see here.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#6 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:29 am

TheCage4 wrote:It’s Weavers first address and he said the right things. I can only hope he’s thinking that he needs to unload these two vets.

And what will he get for two injury riddles former superstars...scraps from playoff teams....teams that cant afford to lose good players and who usually have no picks anyway.

Keep them. They both have two years in the tank, but free agents are flocking to Detroit. Get young guys like pat bev used to be, a bunch of pests and put the D back in Detroit. ...and a couple guys who can hit 3s at a clip of 38%.

And yes, i know there's not much D left in the nba, but make it a team effort and the refs cant blow the whistle every time down the floor.

With a good coach...which they have Detroit is a definite playoff team in the east...sans huge injuries.

Return to Wiretap Discussion