ImageImageImageImageImage

Early look at FA: Gallinari

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Re: Early look at FA: Gallinari 

Post#61 » by OGLife » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:40 pm

With the way the Raptors are able to find talent, I'd rather use the cap space and buy picks to fill up the 905 squad.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#62 » by RaptorsNorth » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:35 pm

OGLife wrote:With the way the Raptors are able to find talent, I'd rather use the cap space and buy picks to fill up the 905 squad.
yea and some team can just pick those players off your roster seeing only 2 ways players are actually untouchable. Thats only like 2 or 3 players. Other NBA teams would be able to sign all the other talent on the 905. Teams like the Knicks would love you.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,632

Post#63 » by C_Money » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:15 am

jimmy keys wrote:
C_Money wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
no we don't.

Yes. SF is our weakest position.

nah

Yup
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#64 » by OGLife » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 am

:(
RaptorsNorth wrote:
OGLife wrote:With the way the Raptors are able to find talent, I'd rather use the cap space and buy picks to fill up the 905 squad.
yea and some team can just pick those players off your roster seeing only 2 ways players are actually untouchable. Thats only like 2 or 3 players. Other NBA teams would be able to sign all the other talent on the 905. Teams like the Knicks would love you.

Tbh, it's a dilemma the Raptors are facing. We can keep 2-3 2 way guys with the method of buying picks.
Lowryy, FVV, Norm, Davis, OG, Ibaka and Gasol are all due new contracts by 2022. Lowry and Gasol might come cheap. For Gasol, we can pay him a nice 1 year deal as we did for Lowry in exchange they take less. We also have the rights for the other guys, so landing someone like Giannis and keeping FVV, Davis, Norm (2022), OG and Ibaka (give him a 1 year deal with the thought he will be kept in 2021). We would have a very deep rotation where we can give all these guys anywhere from 25 - 30 minutes.

Nonetheless, I don't see us getting anyone for more than a one year deal this offseason.

Let's see what ownership decides for the future of this team.
UnRealGM
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,157

Post#65 » by UnRealGM » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 am

reminds me of prime bargnani.
Joshuan3
Senior
And1: 178

Post#66 » by Joshuan3 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:34 am

I think he either re-signs with OKC or goes to Miami (Pat Riley tried to trade for him previously), I wouldn't mind him but he's not great on D and he's injury prone. I don't think he'd want a reduced role vs. the role he can have with OKC or Miami.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#67 » by Psubs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:49 am

Depends if he opts out of his player option.

I'd throw the full MLE for 4 years to Kelly Olynyk.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#68 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:29 am

OGLife wrote::(
RaptorsNorth wrote:

Tbh, it's a dilemma the Raptors are facing. We can keep 2-3 2 way guys with the method of buying picks.
Lowryy, FVV, Norm, Davis, OG, Ibaka and Gasol are all due new contracts by 2022. Lowry and Gasol might come cheap. For Gasol, we can pay him a nice 1 year deal as we did for Lowry in exchange they take less. We also have the rights for the other guys, so landing someone like Giannis and keeping FVV, Davis, Norm (2022), OG and Ibaka (give him a 1 year deal with the thought he will be kept in 2021). We would have a very deep rotation where we can give all these guys anywhere from 25 - 30 minutes.

Nonetheless, I don't see us getting anyone for more than a one year deal this offseason.

Let's see what ownership decides for the future of this team.

Based on what we've seen from the Raptors since Masai has taken over, I would expect them to pay a multiyear deal to retain Fred. I think the coaching staff and front office have made it clear that he is their guy and the Raptors don't play around retaining their guys.

Ibaka and Gasol is another story. I'm hoping Gasol takes a discounted MLE type of multiyear deal and Ibaka taking a big one year deal.

If Ibaka or Gasol are not willing to take a discounted multiyear deal or a 1 year deal, I'd be willing to let them walk and buying picks with capspace like you said. We could probably get a serviceable backup along with a pick for free from a team looking to shed luxury tax salary (e.g. Ed Davis, Mike Scott, Mcdermott, Looney).

edit: Looney has a player option 2021-2022 season so we'd have to get a first for him. The other guys all expire 2021 offseason.

edit2: Another idea is there is the possibility of signing and trading Ibaka or Gasol to a team who is willing to pay them a multiyear contract but doesn't have capspace.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#69 » by bluerap23 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:34 am

revvolutions wrote:Old past prime player to slot into starter role as a free agent home run signing, lots promise, none of it grounded in previous results. Plays no defense.

Get er done BC!
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#70 » by jimmy keys » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:30 am

C_Money wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Yes. SF is our weakest position.

nah

Yup

:lol: You think Gallo is better than OG. Good one bud.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,890

Post#71 » by Merit » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:38 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Merit wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:Gallo is one of the most underrated players in the league. He was a big reason of why the Clippers didn't do significantly worse after trading Harris.

Can drive. Hits his free throws. Gets to the line a lot too. Could we hide him on defense? Offensively he's great.

He is also decent defender, I dont know what some of yyou guys talking about, he is white and Euro, so he cant play defense? His defense is not even bad, high IQ, can guard multiple positions, communicates at all times and is engaged on that end. but his main knock is his durability. Cant count on him being healthy half the time.

I mean, he’d be taking either pascal or OG’s spot in the lineup and he’d be a downgrade from either defensively. I think he fits perfectly as a 6th man a la manu. Reduced minutes would hopefully reduce his injuries. He’d be an excellent foil for serge.

Lowry/Norm/OG/Pascal/gasol
Fred/TD/Rondae or mccaw/gallo/Serge

Lots of depth and shooting in both those lineups. We can also go big and switch.

Lowry/OG/Pascal/Gallo/gasol would be super interesting to me.

I’m still not sold on him in 1 to 1 coverages vs wings but I feel comfortable with him on forwards in a team concept.
I believe in Masai.
JJ From Deep
Sixth Man
And1: 2,090

Post#72 » by JJ From Deep » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:39 am

pr0gr4m wrote:He has the 'IT' factor. That combined with our medical team, coaching, system, and culture. This is a perfect match.

DraftExpress listed his 'best case scenario' as a 'European LeBron James'. Now that's a huge stretch but it comes from his all-around game.

Gallo can pass, shoot, drive, post up, exploit mismatches, get to the line, and has a demeanor that indicates he can handle the last shot moment.

bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Post#73 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:44 am

Gallinari is one of those players you enjoy watching on other teams. No way I would sign him. And he's not a SF lol. He's a big. He'll provide decent defense on the Horford's. His offense is smooth like butter. Too bad he can't seem to stay healthy.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,745

Post#74 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:52 am

Merit wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Merit wrote:
Can drive. Hits his free throws. Gets to the line a lot too. Could we hide him on defense? Offensively he's great.

He is also decent defender, I dont know what some of yyou guys talking about, he is white and Euro, so he cant play defense? His defense is not even bad, high IQ, can guard multiple positions, communicates at all times and is engaged on that end. but his main knock is his durability. Cant count on him being healthy half the time.

I mean, he’d be taking either pascal or OG’s spot in the lineup and he’d be a downgrade from either defensively. I think he fits perfectly as a 6th man a la manu. Reduced minutes would hopefully reduce his injuries. He’d be an excellent foil for serge.

Lots of depth and shooting in both those lineups. We can also go big and switch.

I’m still not sold on him in 1 to 1 coverages vs wings but I feel comfortable with him on forwards in a team concept.

That would be great, but he was still averaging over 19 a game on ridiculous efficiency, so it would take effort to convince him to take such a backseat role. Maybe he would accept it, but I get the people who want to save cap for 2021, even tho I myself dont believe Giannis is coming.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,890

Post#75 » by Merit » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Merit wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

That would be great, but he was still averaging over 19 a game on ridiculous efficiency, so it would take effort to convince him to take such a backseat role. Maybe he would accept it, but I get the people who want to save cap for 2021, even tho I myself dont believe Giannis is coming.

For sure. I think that the dream is him in a Manu role, but I happen to think that player development is the way to go on the road to Giannis. If he is open to taking a one year contract for sizable $$ (and say serge and marc and Fred don't re-sign), then I feel as though it makes sense. I like Gallo. I think he'd be great on the raps and I think our medical team and winning environment would be a significant reason why he'd choose to be here and to take on a higher intensity, lower minute role.

Having said that, if OG and Norm step up, I don't see us having enough shots or minutes for Gallo. I still like the idea, and I'm sure the Raps are considering it at some level.
I believe in Masai.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#76 » by pr0gr4m » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm

JJ From Deep wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:He has the 'IT' factor. That combined with our medical team, coaching, system, and culture. This is a perfect match.

DraftExpress listed his 'best case scenario' as a 'European LeBron James'. Now that's a huge stretch but it comes from his all-around game.

Gallo can pass, shoot, drive, post up, exploit mismatches, get to the line, and has a demeanor that indicates he can handle the last shot moment.

Please refer to clutch stats and advance statistics. These show Gallinari to be a great SF/PF hybrid.
JJ From Deep
Sixth Man
And1: 2,090

Post#77 » by JJ From Deep » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
JJ From Deep wrote:

Please refer to clutch stats and advance statistics. These show Gallinari to be a great SF/PF hybrid.

I already know he's a good player, but the way you describe all that make it sound like you wanna marry the guy lmao. Nobody needs to know his early draft label was the "European Lebron James" he's been in the league long enough for all of us to be very familiar with his skill set
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#78 » by pr0gr4m » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:13 pm

JJ From Deep wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:
JJ From Deep wrote:

I already know he's a good player, but the way you describe all that make it sound like you wanna marry the guy lmao. Nobody needs to know his early draft label was the "European Lebron James" he's been in the league long enough for all of us to be very familiar with his skill set

DraftExpress listed his 'best case scenario' as a 'European LeBron James'.

I did not say anything of that manner. I have listed the resource before and after saying each comment. Refer to his profile using a web archive if you would like to read it for yourself Thanks.

Return to Toronto Raptors