ImageImageImageImageImage

Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser"

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#381 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:34 am

WallStar wrote:...if I'm a player and I want to be a part of this team's future, I'd never sit out given that there is a chance to compete for the trophy. It's a brotherhood and he just detached himself from the team.

Oh balls...

There is no chance to compete for a trophy. There are just a handful of essentially meaningless games -- which doesn't mean that as a fan I'm not looking forward to them!

It's also not "a brotherhood." It's a business. These guys -- every one of them -- are professionals; their biggest job is to manage their careers.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#382 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 am

DCZards wrote:This is from a Clutchpoints article. Link to full story is below

“When the NBA announced that players who sit out wouldn’t face consequences and would just lose 1 percent of their salary for each game missed, we sat down to discuss this,” Kalnitis told HoopsHype. “Davis is about to sign the biggest deal of his life, so he would be taking a big risk by playing. It wasn’t a tough decision..If the Wizards were in the fifth or sixth seed (or maybe even the eighth seed), it would be completely different.”

“The Wizards have known about Davis’ decision for a few days, and Davis told his teammates before it was reported too. They have been so supportive. [GM] Tommy [Sheppard] is the best..and he and Davis have a special connection…Davis told me that they had a pleasant conversation and they were very supportive,” Bertans’ agent furthered.

https://clutchpoints.com/wizards-news-davis-bertans-real-reason-for-sitting-out-nba-restart-revealed/

No surprise at all....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WallStar
Junior
And1: 192

Post#383 » by WallStar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 am

payitforward wrote:
WallStar wrote:...if I'm a player and I want to be a part of this team's future, I'd never sit out given that there is a chance to compete for the trophy. It's a brotherhood and he just detached himself from the team.

Oh balls...

There is no chance to compete for a trophy. There are just a handful of essentially meaningless games -- which doesn't mean that as a fan I'm not looking forward to them!

It's also not "a brotherhood." It's a business. These guys -- every one of them -- are professionals; their biggest job is to manage their careers.

LOL just because they're professionals and it's a business does not mean the locker room is not a brotherhood. With your logic, every player on a one year deal should sit out until they get an extension.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#384 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:50 am

Uh huh, for sure. If you want to justify BS, all you have to do is add some more BS on top of the first load.

The NBA is an entertainment business. Every decision, whether by a player or a franchise or the league itself, is a business decision. Every single person in the locker room understands that it's a business. It's only fans like you who think they're watching Game of Thrones. Or even think that Game of Thrones is some kind of "reality" rather than... a business!

Finally -- & then I'm done with this nonsense -- if you don't understand why a marginal player with a 1-year contract has less leverage than Bertans in deciding whether to play the few remaining games of this aborted season, then you don't understand... business.

As you can see from what Zards wrote, Bertans's teammates "have been supportive." Of course they have! They may be in a parallel situation some day!

This is no different from John Wall deciding not to come back for the end of this season -- also a business decision.
WallStar
Junior

Post#385 » by WallStar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm

payitforward wrote:Uh huh, for sure. If you want to justify BS, all you have to do is add some more BS on top of the first load.

The NBA is an entertainment business. Every decision, whether by a player or a franchise or the league itself, is a business decision. Every single person in the locker room understands that it's a business. It's only fans like you who think they're watching Game of Thrones. Or even think that Game of Thrones is some kind of "reality" rather than... a business!

Finally -- & then I'm done with this nonsense -- if you don't understand why a marginal player with a 1-year contract has less leverage than Bertans in deciding whether to play the few remaining games of this aborted season, then you don't understand... business.

As you can see from what Zards wrote, Bertans's teammates "have been supportive." Of course they have! They may be in a parallel situation some day!

This is no different from John Wall deciding not to come back for the end of this season -- also a business decision.

Stop drinking. I never said the NBA was not a business. The fact you're trying to make a correlation between that and lockerroom cohesiveness is perplexing.

John isn't coming back because of COVID, don't link him into not playing "meaningless" games. But he too is acting like a little bitch.

I was speaking from my personal standpoint. I'll ride and die with my teammates especially if I haven't played ball in 3 months. Every player is an injury away, whether you're on a 5 year or a 10-day contact.

If you're healthy and under contract, then you should suit up PERIOD.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#386 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Anyone "speaking from (a) personal standpoint" has a right to his opinion. So, really, nothing here to argue about. I don't agree -- but... so what?

& for sure, "lockerroom cohesiveness" can be an issue -- we all know that.

IOW -- no problem. Peace!

(We need cohesiveness in this online "locker room" too! :))
WallStar
Junior

Post#387 » by WallStar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:25 am

payitforward wrote:Anyone "speaking from (a) personal standpoint" has a right to his opinion. So, really, nothing here to argue about. I don't agree -- but... so what?

PIF is that you? :wink:

:rockon:
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#388 » by DCZards » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:59 am

WallStar wrote:
John isn't coming back because of COVID, don't link him into not playing "meaningless" games. But he too is acting like a little bitch.

I was speaking from my personal standpoint. I'll ride and die with my teammates especially if I haven't played ball in 3 months. Every player is an injury away, whether you're on a 5 year or a 10-day contact.

Wall is not playing because both he and the Zards FO know it would be stupid--and risky--for him to play. You don’t take a guy who hasn’t played in almost 2 years--and who’s coming off one of the most serious injuries an athlete can have--and put him through a sped up, truncated training camp in order to be ready for what could very well be treated as must-win NBA games.

That’s not "acting like a little bitch.” It’s being smart.
WallStar
Junior

Post#389 » by WallStar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:40 am

DCZards wrote:
WallStar wrote:

Wall is not playing because both he and the Zards FO know it would be stupid--and risky--for him to play. You don’t take a guy who hasn’t played in almost 2 years--and who’s coming off one of the most serious injuries an athlete can have--and put him through a sped up, truncated training camp in order to be ready for what could very well be treated as must-win NBA games.

That’s not "acting like a little bitch.” It’s being smart.

It's time to test him out. He's been out for 2 YEARS! As far as I know, he's been working out and shooting for quite some time. They can play him sparingly. Injuries are a part of the game, there's no reason to treat him like glass. If he misses any more time we may as well mummify him.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#390 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:00 am

We also don't know if the man is mine compromised it if his wife has immune or repertory issues . Or his kid or family that lives with them. It's also possible he's not in h country and they just haven't stated that as such. Ease up on the man!sure we would have a chance if we came in at full power and other teams didn't. But I feel like every teams gonna have one or two dudes not show up.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#391 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:53 am

WallStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:Anyone "speaking from (a) personal standpoint" has a right to his opinion. So, really, nothing here to argue about. I don't agree -- but... so what?

What? Now you want to argue about grammar? :)
WallStar
Junior

Post#392 » by WallStar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:41 pm

payitforward wrote:
WallStar wrote:

haha nah just jabbin' for correcting me :)
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#393 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 pm

WallStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:Uh huh, for sure. If you want to justify BS, all you have to do is add some more BS on top of the first load.

Stop drinking. I never said the NBA was not a business. The fact you're trying to make a correlation between that and lockerroom cohesiveness is perplexing.

There is zero reason for John Wall to risk playing in Orlando coming off a serious injury in a format that gives you no chance of advancing in the first round, if you miraculously beat Orlando in two straight games after going something like 6-2 in the last 8 games. But f-ck that, let's just test him out. Oh right, none of that matters. Ted is trying to collect about 80% of his salary if he doesn't play at all this year from his insurance company.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/wizards-are-saving-good-deal-money-thanks-john-wall-insurance-policy-report-says
payitforward
RealGM

Post#394 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:04 pm

WallStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:
WallStar wrote:

haha nah just jabbin' for correcting me :)

I wasn't correcting you! Just making it so it didn't read "anyone speaking from your point of view," which made no sense as I re-read it.

The way you wrote it made perfect sense -- grammatically, I mean.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 462

Post#395 » by bsilver » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:34 pm

80sballboy wrote:
WallStar wrote:

There is zero reason for John Wall to risk playing in Orlando coming off a serious injury in a format that gives you no chance of advancing in the first round, if you miraculously beat Orlando in two straight games after going something like 6-2 in the last 8 games. But f-ck that, let's just test him out. Oh right, none of that matters. Ted is trying to collect about 80% of his salary if he doesn't play at all this year from his insurance company.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/wizards-are-saving-good-deal-money-thanks-john-wall-insurance-policy-report-says

That article was written on April 1,2019, and applied to last season. Would Ted Leonsis lose any insurance money if Wall were to play in Orlando?
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#396 » by doclinkin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:02 am

bsilver wrote:That article was written on April 1,2019, and applied to last season. Would Ted Leonsis lose any insurance money if Wall were to play in Orlando?

If I recall properly, the insurance kicks in if Wall missed more than 50% of the season. HOWEVER. There have been articles since before the year began about how good his recovery was coming, how he was ahead of schedule, etc. Video leaked. And the timeline for projected recovery, at the early end, would have put him on court right about the time that the insurance kicked in. Maybe even before.

No doubt there are riders in an insurance contract to prevent a team from doing just that: having a players salary covered while a player is milking their recovery time, but still pop on court late season to save the day. Leastways it would raise questions of whether John was fine a few months earlier, but the team was slow-playing it.

In fact they were. They have said they want to be extra careful etc and sit him out the whole year to truly give him time to etc etc. I think it quite likely that John would have come back early and played if it were still GMEG in the front office trying to do the yearly work of covering his ass and saving his job.

BUT. If the player sits out the entire year, then there is no legal challenge to the contract. The team received no benefit from his service that year. The insurance company doesn't have to argue with doctors etc. They shrug and write the check.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#397 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Have to agree with PIF here....god that was hard. :-(
payitforward
RealGM

Post#398 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:41 am

JWizmentality wrote:Have to agree with PIF here....god that was hard. :-(

Me too -- & no one finds it harder to agree with me than I myself! :)

(What are we in agreement about, btw? You never know -- I may have changed my mind, & you'd be off the hook!
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 462

Post#399 » by bsilver » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Not unexpected, but there will be a lot of competition for Bertans. Atlanta has lots of cap room, and could make it difficult for us to match a big offer. otoh, Bertans seems to like it here because he get a lot of playing time and has a big role. If playing for a good team is a factor, then the Suns would be tempting since they showed a lot of potential in the bubble.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/sources-hawks-knicks-and-suns-among-teams-pursue-davis-bertans-free-agency
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#400 » by pcbothwel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:39 pm

bsilver wrote:Not unexpected, but there will be a lot of competition for Bertans. Atlanta has lots of cap room, and could make it difficult for us to match a big offer. otoh, Bertans seems to like it here because he get a lot of playing time and has a big role. If playing for a good team is a factor, then the Suns would be tempting since they showed a lot of potential in the bubble.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/sources-hawks-knicks-and-suns-among-teams-pursue-davis-bertans-free-agency

Not buying it. The Suns arent going to throw away a max spot in the 21 draft class to upgrade from Saric (RFA) to Bertans. ATL is possible, but I just dont see them dumping 15M into a backup PF that doesnt compliment Collins.

Return to Washington Wizards