ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#641 » by drsd » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:49 pm

The Wolves, the Warriors and all BAD teams are most likely to draft at 5. That is the reality of the current lottery. So: if Edwards slides to 5, should/could/would the Magic trade Gordon for his rights?

I really hope the answer is yes.

But can the Magic trade Gordon for the overall #1? Nope. The trading partner would want the world. (At 3-4-5, the partner could be made a good package though).

So: Edwards-in-Magic-blue fans, better hope he slides on draft day.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#642 » by Knightro » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I don't think I've been this disinterested in a draft since the year Dipo came out. There is not a single player I would feel comfortable giving up significant value to move up and draft. I love Vassell but If he's going to go in the top 8 then so be it. Before the season ended he was barely a first-rounder but this draft is so weak that people are having to talk themselves into players.

Wiseman is the best player in my eyes but with our frontcourt, it would be unrealistic to move up and draft him. Lamelo is going to be a massive headache for whoever drafts him. The father is a serious issue and has influence over his kids. He has stated his desire many many times to have his kids all playing on the same team and it's something as a small market team I wouldn't even bother with.

If he had surefire All-star written all over him, maybe. But I'm still seeing sixth man in his future. His skillset hasn't sold me yet.

I would be willing to move Aaron Gordon to get Anthony Edwards.

He might end up being a bust, but there's at least the possibility of him developing into a Victor Oladipo/Donovan Mitchell caliber star scoring guard.

A three-level scoring guard/wing - someone who can score at the rim, draw FTs and make threes - is the second most valuable asset in the NBA behind the three-level scorer who can also create easy opportunities for his teammates as a passer.

Not sure if Edwards has those kind of passing or vision chops right now, but I'd be willing to gamble on him becoming a high end NBA scoring SG.

I like Wiseman and Ball, but drafting either one of them would require SIGNIFICANT roster moves to make things work from a minutes and rotation perspective. Not confident that Weltman and Hammond have the desire (even though they should) to shake things up to the level that it would require to draft either one of those guys.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#643 » by basketballRob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:14 pm

drsd wrote:The Wolves, the Warriors and all BAD teams are most likely to draft at 5. That is the reality of the current lottery. So: if Edwards slides to 5, should/could/would the Magic trade Gordon for his rights?

I really hope the answer is yes.

But can the Magic trade Gordon for the overall #1? Nope. The trading partner would want the world. (At 3-4-5, the partner could be made a good package though).

So: Edwards-in-Magic-blue fans, better hope he slides on draft day.

The Twolves traded Saric and the 11th pick last season for the 6th pick. I think AG has way more potential than Saric.

If Okoro could play the two I'd be interested in him too. Edwards average 9 fta per 100 possessions and Okoro 8.5. I think we need a guard that's physical.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#644 » by Bensational » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Knightro wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I don't think I've been this disinterested in a draft since the year Dipo came out. There is not a single player I would feel comfortable giving up significant value to move up and draft. I love Vassell but If he's going to go in the top 8 then so be it. Before the season ended he was barely a first-rounder but this draft is so weak that people are having to talk themselves into players.

Wiseman is the best player in my eyes but with our frontcourt, it would be unrealistic to move up and draft him. Lamelo is going to be a massive headache for whoever drafts him. The father is a serious issue and has influence over his kids. He has stated his desire many many times to have his kids all playing on the same team and it's something as a small market team I wouldn't even bother with.

If he had surefire All-star written all over him, maybe. But I'm still seeing sixth man in his future. His skillset hasn't sold me yet.

I would be willing to move Aaron Gordon to get Anthony Edwards.

He might end up being a bust, but there's at least the possibility of him developing into a Victor Oladipo/Donovan Mitchell caliber star scoring guard.

A three-level scoring guard/wing - someone who can score at the rim, draw FTs and make threes - is the second most valuable asset in the NBA behind the three-level scorer who can also create easy opportunities for his teammates as a passer.

Not sure if Edwards has those kind of passing or vision chops right now, but I'd be willing to gamble on him becoming a high end NBA scoring SG.

I like Wiseman and Ball, but drafting either one of them would require SIGNIFICANT roster moves to make things work from a minutes and rotation perspective. Not confident that Weltman and Hammond have the desire (even though they should) to shake things up to the level that it would require to draft either one of those guys.

For me, I see names like Lewis and Neismith and think of them as being on par with most names after Edwards, and as long as they're projected to fall to us, there's no need to move up for anyone that isn't Edwards. Though, I'd put any of Vuc, Gordon and Fournier on the table for Edwards. If this post season goes ahead, hopefully it helps usher in some changes as a result.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#645 » by Skybox » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:41 pm

Tyrese Maxey...the more I look, the more I like...if there is a Donovan Mitchell surprise (but not in hindsight)-is it him and with limited workouts and scouting, could he fall? We need star potential. I like Vassell, the Beys, Nesmith, but I'd enjoy swinging for a boom or bust star type.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#646 » by j-ragg » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Vassell seems good and looks like he’ll have a long career but at a certain point what good is having a roster full of 3+D guys that don’t create? Isaac, Bamba, Iwundu (minus the 3), Okeke, now Vassell?
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#647 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:22 pm

The problem with Vassell is he's redundant, we already have Fournier and Ross. If you want players like a Mitchell, i like Edwards, Okoro, and Ramsey. Players that have size and strength.

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#648 » by zaymon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Skybox wrote:Tyrese Maxey...the more I look, the more I like...if there is a Donovan Mitchell surprise (but not in hindsight)-is it him and with limited workouts and scouting, could he fall? We need star potential. I like Vassell, the Beys, Nesmith, but I'd enjoy swinging for a boom or bust star type.

I think what differentiate them is their athletecism. Mitchell was nuclear while Maxey is average.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,453

Post#649 » by jezzerinho » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Maxey isn't the athlete Mitchell is, but I think he has a more rounded potential game. There are plenty of reasons to doubt him (college showing wasn't stellar, undersized for a SG, not a top level athlete, shooting mechanics inconsistent) but I think there's a lot to buy into with him.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#650 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:04 pm

j-ragg wrote:Vassell seems good and looks like he’ll have a long career but at a certain point what good is having a roster full of 3+D guys that don’t create? Isaac, Bamba, Iwundu (minus the 3), Okeke, now Vassell?

To be fair, every one of those players you named shoots well below league average in terms of 3pt percentage lol. Okeke shot a pretty good percentage on 3's in college and started to improve his FT% so time will tell with him but you could argue all the other players you named aren't really 3 and D guys at this stage. We still need real shooters on this roster.

I agree with your overarching point though, we do need creators and Vassell isn't exactly that. However, he is a 41% 3pt shooter in college for his career, and is an excellent mid-range shooter as well. He is someone I can confidently say is going to be a 3&D guy at the next level while we are still trying to develop the other players you named into one.

They aren't natural shooters, if that makes sense.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#651 » by tiderulz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:46 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Vassell seems good and looks like he’ll have a long career but at a certain point what good is having a roster full of 3+D guys that don’t create? Isaac, Bamba, Iwundu (minus the 3), Okeke, now Vassell?

To be fair, every one of those players you named shoots well below league average in terms of 3pt percentage lol. Okeke shot a pretty good percentage on 3's in college and started to improve his FT% so time will tell with him but you could argue all the other players you named aren't really 3 and D guys at this stage. We still need real shooters on this roster.

I agree with your overarching point though, we do need creators and Vassell isn't exactly that. However, he is a 41% 3pt shooter in college for his career, and is an excellent mid-range shooter as well. He is someone I can confidently say is going to be a 3&D guy at the next level while we are still trying to develop the other players you named into one.

They aren't natural shooters, if that makes sense.

yeah, but Lonzo Ball was a 41% 3pt shooter in college too. it doesnt always translate
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#652 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:16 pm

tiderulz wrote:yeah, but Lonzo Ball was a 41% 3pt shooter in college too. it doesnt always translate

Of course not. However, the thing that was overlooked with Lonzo was his FT%. Sometimes that is an even better indicator than 3pt percentage when trying to determine if they will be a good shooter at the next level.

FWIW, Lonzo is also shooting 38% on 6.5 attempts this year. He's dealt with injuries and hasn't been on the court much. He's getting close to what people expected, at least in that aspect.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#653 » by Knightro » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:43 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:Of course not. However, the thing that was overlooked with Lonzo was his FT%. Sometimes that is an even better indicator than 3pt percentage when trying to determine if they will be a good shooter at the next level.

FWIW, Lonzo is also shooting 38% on 6.5 attempts this year. He's dealt with injuries and hasn't been on the court much. He's getting close to what people expected, at least in that aspect.

Lonzo also dramatically overhauled his shot form since his UCLA days. He deserves major credit for putting in the work, but his shot looks nothing like it did even two years ago.

LaMelo's shot looks much more similar to Lonzo's old shot form to me. Inconsistent mechanics and a remarkably low release.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,453

Post#654 » by jezzerinho » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:03 pm

I agree to the extent that Orlando's highest need is a playmaker/shot-creator/go-to alpha.

Vassell to me is a sure thing in this draft but I'm not sure he's what we need most. Maybe with his D potential plugged in to an already solid defensive team, we could basically put all our eggs in the defensive basket and get whatever offense we can and hope it's enough.

But I still think gambling on a playmaking archetype is a better option for this roster.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#655 » by zaymon » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:32 pm

jezzerinho wrote:

I agree to the extent that Orlando's highest need is a playmaker/shot-creator/go-to alpha.

Vassell to me is a sure thing in this draft but I'm not sure he's what we need most. Maybe with his D potential plugged in to an already solid defensive team, we could basically put all our eggs in the defensive basket and get whatever offense we can and hope it's enough.

But I still think gambling on a playmaking archetype is a better option for this roster.

Thats why i would go all in on Pokusevski or Bolmaro with our first round pick, other than someone like Avdija, Okoro or Lewis falling i dont see many high ceiling prospects.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#656 » by basketballRob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:46 am

I think Okoro could be a Jimmy Butler type player. Maybe we could trade AG, Birch, 15 pick for Oubre, Baynes, and 10th pick.

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#657 » by Def Swami » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:01 pm

We interviewed Killian Hayes. Kind of a hometown guy. Born in Lakeland, FL. Apparently, he used to play pick up games between Lakeland and Orlando, but spent majority of his life growing up in France, where his dad played professionally.

I've only seen YouTube clips of him play, but I like the theory of what he's supposed to be. Big lefty guard that can play both back court positions, has good court vision, good in pick n roll, and improving shooter. I like him as much as I like Anthony Edwards and James Wiseman, and more than Lamelo Ball.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

All that said, with the likely scenario of the Magic staying somewhere in mid-teens as a pick, Tyrell Terry is my guy.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#658 » by Bensational » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:48 am

Def Swami wrote:We interviewed Killian Hayes. Kind of a hometown guy. Born in Lakeland, FL. Apparently, he used to play pick up games between Lakeland and Orlando, but spent majority of his life growing up in France, where his dad played professionally.

I've only seen YouTube clips of him play, but I like the theory of what he's supposed to be. Big lefty guard that can play both back court positions, has good court vision, good in pick n roll, and improving shooter. I like him as much as I like Anthony Edwards and James Wiseman, and more than Lamelo Ball.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

All that said, with the likely scenario of the Magic staying somewhere in mid-teens as a pick, Tyrell Terry is my guy.

I haven't studied him, but none of the highlights Ive seen from him have grabbed me. There's nothing that is an obvious point of dominance for him yet.

Considering he's in Europe already, we might have reached out to him as a potential draft and stash prospect. Though not sure how we'd trade up for him, or that he would fall to our range. Or maybe we've got good Intel on him and I just can't see the bigger picture with him?

I would take Lewis, Maxey or Nesmith over him. I like Haliburton over him, too. I see Haliburton as being Evan Turner/MCW-ish as his floor. But with a similar profile and intangibles. Either of those guys with reliable inside/outside offense would be deadly like Khris Middleton, so he's worth the gamble - though with very low odds, imo.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#659 » by Knightro » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:18 am

I really dislike comparing someone left handed to someone else left handed because it's usually just a lazy take, but when I watch Killian Hayes I do see a lot of D'Angelo Russell, both good and bad.

I doubt he'll be available at 15.

Curious if the Magic like him enough to move up into the lottery.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#660 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:37 am

Knightro wrote:

I really dislike comparing someone left handed to someone else left handed because it's usually just a lazy take, but when I watch Killian Hayes I do see a lot of D'Angelo Russell, both good and bad.

I doubt he'll be available at 15.

Curious if the Magic like him enough to move up into the lottery.

lol the first thing that came to mind for me was Ginobli, so I guess I'm guilty as well. I know bare minimum about him as a prospect, but that was a pretty decent tape. He seems to be extremely left-hand dominant, however. He was even throwing passes with his left moving right and didn't seem comfortable with that off-hand dribble either. Not sure what his off hand-finishing looks like.

I could see him having a rough go early on as he develops and gains confidence utilizing both. Interesting prospect regardless tho. Seems to have some potential at SG which is what I feel we should be targeting.

Return to Orlando Magic