ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Is Ty Haliburton worth a lottery selection for our Hawks?

No way we're spending a top-10 pick on another PG
16%
Yes! The defense, shooting & playmaking are a perfect fit
53%
Maybe. Depends on who else is still available
32%

Total votes: 19

graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#41 » by graymule » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:52 am

8-)

Wouldn't it be great to have this guy as Trae's backup and occasionally playing with him as the 2 guard!!

:D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Sam Vecenie wrote:Anyone who read what Tyrese Haliburton wrote for his social media feed after the George Floyd killing saw an intelligent, thoughtful person.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Teams that have done their background research have come away thinking similarly. Particularly, they point to his maturity and emotional intelligence. Sources have said that Haliburton will be able to adjust to just about any situation he’s put in early in his career, and will find success. Consistently, he’s come up as being one of the most impressive human beings in this class. This played a role in his move up to No. 5 on my board. More than that, though, the more tape I watch on Haliburton, the more I see pretty substantial upside if he’s able to fill out his frame with 20-25 more pounds throughout his career. I feel confident he’s going to be effective quickly in the NBA because of his diversity of skill-set as a potential secondary ballhandler. But there is some upside for more.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:14 pm

graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#44 » by graymule » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:10 pm

kg01 wrote:This is my pick for us, if we keep the pick.

Ditto. Would be a great backup PG and occasionally a 2 guard with Young!

:D :D
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#45 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:37 am

Hollinger quote on Haliburton:
"I think Halliburton is by far the best fit. He’s a good spot-up shooter who has the size and length to guard twos, but he’s a good enough ballhandler and passer to take turns at the point when Young is out of the game. I’m high on him overall (he’s sixth on my board), and the fit with Atlanta is near-perfect. The background on him is off the charts, too. If the Hawks don’t move up in the lottery, I think he should be the prime target."

In a perfect world, we claim the #1, trade down a few slots and gain both Haliburton and another asset that can help us acquire Oladipo.

The ghosts of David Skywalker Thompson and Marvin The Human Eraser Webster have to be cheering for us.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:42 am

Tyrese Halburton, G, Iowa State

Haliburton is the glue guy of this draft. Even if he never ascends to superstar status, his extremely advanced basketball IQ (which shows up in every pass he makes) should earn him an NBA role for the next decade-plus. At 6-foot-5, he can see over the top of defenses and is active using that length as a team defender (2.5 steals per game his sophomore season), though he can get outmuscled on-ball at just 175 pounds.

Add shooting splits of 50.4% from the field and 41.9% from long-range (5.9 attempts per!) and it’s easy to get excited about Haliburton’s prospects in the modern NBA. His handle is a little loose and the form on his jumper a tad stilted, but Synergy ranks him in the 99th percentile as a spot up shooter and 98th percentile in catch-and-shoot, so he can still impact the game off the ball; moreover, he’s dead-eye with his feet set, no matter how it looks coming out.
NBC Sports -- Chicago
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#47 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:52 am

This might be repeated often in the many scouting videos out there--I'm a cynic that very many of them are doing original work, but just trying to make money from clicks using others' actual original insights--but I heard a comp today that I really liked for Haliburton, which was Andre Miller. Yes, Haliburton is a helluva 3pt shooter in comparison, and yes, he's an inch or two taller, and yes, his arms remind one of our own Plasticman (Stacey Augmon)... but when you watch his gait as he gets around and up and down the floor, and what I can only call his "floor general" qualities... yes, a slightly taller, slightly lankier, and much better shooting Andre Miller, I think, is a solid summation.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#48 » by Spud2nique » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:22 am

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:This might be repeated often in the many scouting videos out there--I'm a cynic that very many of them are doing original work, but just trying to make money from clicks using others' actual original insights--but I heard a comp today that I really liked for Haliburton, which was Andre Miller. Yes, Haliburton is a helluva 3pt shooter in comparison, and yes, he's an inch or two taller, and yes, his arms remind one of our own Plasticman (Stacey Augmon)... but when you watch his gait as he gets around and up and down the floor, and what I can only call his "floor general" qualities... yes, a slightly taller, slightly lankier, and much better shooting Andre Miller, I think, is a solid summation.

That’s a really good comparison. Ya, both seem like heady floor generals with funky shots but leadership skills that go beyond X’s and O’s.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:33 pm

2020 NBA Mock Draft: Tyrese Haliburton jumps into top five

An updated look at the NBA Draft landscape as teams prepare for the finish of the season in the Disney bubble

Atlanta Hawks

Tyrese Haliburton PG
Iowa State • Soph • 6'5" / 175 lbs

PPG 15.2
APG 6.5
RPG 5.9
3P% 41.9%

Tyrese Haliburton's been effective and efficient for both winning teams and losing teams, showcasing himself as a reliable 3-point shooter, ball-handler and defender with great instincts and feel to boot. But there is at least some concern among talent evaluators that his lack of athletic burst could hinder him as a true lead guard. In Atlanta, with Trae Young, that makes no difference. He has the skill set to play off the ball or even capably run the second unit, which figures to be a focal point either in free agency or via the draft this year.
CBS Sports

Tyrese Haliburton’s efficiency is off of the charts. He’s likely going to be a very good spot-up shooter, but Haliburton’s hesitancy to take difficult 3s is worrisome. He lacks a quick trigger off of screens (8-of-19 last season) and especially off of the dribble (16-57, 34.2 effective field goal percentage), where he often probes to his demise, passing up open jumpers.

His shooting profile is far more equipped for a complementary role, where Haliburton can hit spot-ups off of others’ gravity. If he’s asked to play as a primary, his lack of volume and versatility will become problematic.
Fansided
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#50 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Big part of me is whining that Haliburton is rising at least in popularity among the bloggers and speculators. Whether he's rising in popularity among the people who actually are decision-makers is less clear, or for that matter, whether he's always been considered a top 5 option and it's just the bloggers and speculators that were slow.

And that's because a big part of me has been hoping (a) like all Hawks fans, for us to finally win a lottery outright, and (b) for us to be able to convert that #1 slot into Haliburton plus another asset of some significance.

The prevailing opinion of this draft appears to be that there will not be the same kind of value given to the top picks this time that would end up allowing a team to trade, say, a #3 for a #5 plus a top 10 protected first round pick for next year... as we did two years ago.

Then again, history suggests that prevailing opinions change significantly once the draft order is determined, and it becomes reasonable to lock-in on certain players going to certain teams. Moreover, that has tended to become especially the case in the few days leading up to draft night.

I'm hoping for #1, and then hoping history doesn't hiccup so that Schlenk has the chance to make one more serious talent infusion into the roster.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,034

Post#51 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:29 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Big part of me is whining that Haliburton is rising at least in popularity among the bloggers and speculators. Whether he's rising in popularity among the people who actually are decision-makers is less clear, or for that matter, whether he's always been considered a top 5 option and it's just the bloggers and speculators that were slow.

And that's because a big part of me has been hoping (a) like all Hawks fans, for us to finally win a lottery outright, and (b) for us to be able to convert that #1 slot into Haliburton plus another asset of some significance.

The prevailing opinion of this draft appears to be that there will not be the same kind of value given to the top picks this time that would end up allowing a team to trade, say, a #3 for a #5 plus a top 10 protected first round pick for next year... as we did two years ago.

Then again, history suggests that prevailing opinions change significantly once the draft order is determined, and it becomes reasonable to lock-in on certain players going to certain teams. Moreover, that has tended to become especially the case in the few days leading up to draft night.

I'm hoping for #1, and then hoping history doesn't hiccup so that Schlenk has the chance to make one more serious talent infusion into the roster.

It"s a difficult call. If the Hawks end up with a top 2 pick, alot of fans might say trade back. TS might really like Edwards or Wiseman and want to grab his BPA. It's a really tough draft talent wise.

Last year the draft looked very promising 6-7 deep. This year even the #1 pick is doubted as being worthy.

I love the idea of trading back and getting Haliburton and a near future top 10 pick. Not sure other teams will bite in this weak, uncertain draft
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#52 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 am

I really like Haliburton and will be rooting for him wherever he gets drafted, but it's difficult to see us spending a second top-7 pick on a PG who likely isn't a long term starter here and who weighs a whopping 175 pounds.

It's a bit impossible to play two guards who weigh so little and are likely to get abused by oversized wings moving forward.

I really like Haliburton, but his lack of explosiveness, low ceiling and undersized frame means he likely tops out as role player/backup PG for us.

Killian Hayes seems like a more likely option as he has star potential and elite size for the PG/SG position (6'5" 215 lbs).
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#53 » by Spud2nique » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:52 am

Haliburton is the hottest thing since sliced bread! :D
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by graymule » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:31 pm

My hope is that we get Tyrese H. how ever it happens!

:nod:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#55 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:10 pm

graymule wrote::D

They keep saying he’s light weight. You know who else was light weight, Bruce Lee. Granted a different sport but if you are good, you will find ways around your limitations. I mean look at cupcake Durant, he had the strength of a 7 year old boy at the combine not being able to bench 135 pounds, but he made it work, granted in the snake way he did it but if a guy wants it he wants it.

Plus Gramps how bout those FT makes to win the games!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#56 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:30 pm

2020 NBA Draft: First-round prospects who were overlooked as recruits out of high school

Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State

Class (Rank): 2018 (172)

Fifteen different programs offered Tyrese Haliburton a scholarship as a Class of 2018 recruit, but that still doesn't mesh with just how good he really is. He's a surefire first-rounder, and some scouts view him as a top-five player in this class because of how efficient he was in college, how dynamic he's been in different roles, and the level of his skill and feel.

"Whatever team gets him, they're going to love what he brings as far as IQ and skill," one scout told me recently about him. "He provides a level of understanding for what he would have to be for a team -- a pass-first guard. He's a guy who doesn't carry much risk."

Haliburton's shot mechanics are wonky, but they work. He's skinny, but he compensates with his smarts. He's not overly athletic, but he overcomes it with skill. There are perhaps players in this class with a higher ceiling, but Haliburton, once he adds strength, looks like he'll be one of the safest players in this draft class because of his obvious fit as a ball-handler and 3-point shooter at the NBA level.
CBS Sports
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#57 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 am

There is not a prospect in this draft who I haven't warmed up to more than Haliburton. He can do so many things for winning Basketball. I honestly think he's just continued development away from being really special and of course, a great situation which I don't think Atlanta is but I still like him nonetheless and he's high to me for the draft. I love this kid.
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by graymule » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:00 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
graymule wrote::D

Plus Gramps how bout those FT makes to win the games!

Love the fact that he can score well from the line! I believe he fits what Atlanta needs...

Bluvelvet84
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#59 » by Bluvelvet84 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:57 pm

Reminds me of a tall version of George Hill. After some time with offseason weight training/conditioning and professional nutritionist, 200-205lbs. I have seen 175 and 185 depending on sites. I would hope he is the latter currently
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#60 » by HMFFL » Tue Aug 4, 2020 3:16 am

kg01 wrote:I think that's a smokescreen, honestly.
Same.
Otherwise, Golden State is showing to much of their hand.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks