5 - Hampton

Thanks. Bane?

30. Desmond Bane

TCU
SG
Top 100: No. 44
Stats: No. 26

Consensus: 0.8 WARP

Atypically young for a four-year prospect -- he'll turn 22 later this week -- Bane is an excellent shooter who converted 43% of his career 3-point attempts and showed solid playmaking chops for a player of his ilk.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#702 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Pelton's projections are up, top 30. If you don't have Insider, just ask me about a prospect.

Lamine Diane

And top 5 WARP

Unranked.

And

1 - Ball
2 - Halliburton
3 - Edwards
4 - Anthony
5 - Hampton

Hampton at 5 surprises me more than Hali at 2. I don't have Hampton in the top 20. What am I missing? Seems to be somewhat like Dante Exum but a little smaller. Is there a reason to think he'll be better than Ex? Looks like he has more defensive potential than offensive, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#703 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:
Lamine Diane

And top 5 WARP

Unranked.

And

1 - Ball
2 - Halliburton
3 - Edwards
4 - Anthony
5 - Hampton

Hampton at 5 surprises me more than Hali at 2. I don't have Hampton in the top 20. What am I missing? Seems to be somewhat like Dante Exum but a little smaller. Is there a reason to think he'll be better than Ex? Looks like he has more defensive potential than offensive, imo.

5. R.J. Hampton

New Zealand Breakers
G
Top 100: No. 10
Stats: No. 5

Consensus: 2.6 WARP

Hampton wasn't nearly as effective in the NBL as Ball was, ranking as the league's 45th-best player on a per-minute basis. He was almost equally inefficient without the kind of elite playmaking we saw from Ball, and his strong projection relies more heavily on his stats being regressed to the mean.

As a result, I'd be wary of considering Hampton a top-5 prospect but would defer to those scouts who believe he belongs in the back part of the lottery.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#704 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Yeah I have no idea what to make of Hampton. Seems like the type some team in the teens takes a flyer on and hopes they can develop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#705 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 pm

Hampton's appeal is that he's a young, malleable, super fast and athletic combo guard. His passing really improved throughout the NBL season, flashed some shot creation, but left a lot to be desired. He was an atrocious defender, but has the tools to be great on that end.

Basically he has the parts that you cannot coach but needs a lot of strong support and development. The guard version of Wiseman, if you will.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#706 » by machu46 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Pelton's projections are up, top 30. If you don't have Insider, just ask me about a prospect.
Where does he have Haliburton? Feel like he varies a lot depending on the evaluator.

2. Tyrese Haliburton

Iowa State
PG
Top 100: No. 8
Stats: No. 2

Consensus: 3.4 WARP

Haliburton's freshman season stood out statistically, though he had a historically low usage rate for a prospect, finishing just 9% of the Cyclones' plays with a shot, trip to the free throw line or turnover. A strong performance at last summer's FIBA U19 World Cup put Haliburton firmly on the radar, and he backed it up by more than doubling his usage rate to 20% as a sophomore without sacrificing much efficiency.

Haliburton's strong steal and block rates are key indicators of his ability to read plays on defense, and he projects as one of the better shooters in the draft after hitting 43% of his 3s in college.

He should be the #1 guy on most draft boards IMO. I like some of the other guys too but he's always been the standout to me.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#707 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:47 pm

machu46 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Where does he have Haliburton? Feel like he varies a lot depending on the evaluator.

2. Tyrese Haliburton

Iowa State
PG
Top 100: No. 8
Stats: No. 2

Consensus: 3.4 WARP

Haliburton's freshman season stood out statistically, though he had a historically low usage rate for a prospect, finishing just 9% of the Cyclones' plays with a shot, trip to the free throw line or turnover. A strong performance at last summer's FIBA U19 World Cup put Haliburton firmly on the radar, and he backed it up by more than doubling his usage rate to 20% as a sophomore without sacrificing much efficiency.

Haliburton's strong steal and block rates are key indicators of his ability to read plays on defense, and he projects as one of the better shooters in the draft after hitting 43% of his 3s in college.

He should be the #1 guy on most draft boards IMO. I like some of the other guys too but he's always been the standout to me.

Agreed. But I liked him a lot more when he was projected to go in the late lotto or teens.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#708 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Yeah Haliburton doesn't feel like a typical top 5ish pick. But that's the real problem with this draft where everyone kind of feels like late lotto type prospects with no real elite group.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#709 » by machu46 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Unless I skimmed over someone from Pelton's archives, I think this places LaMelo as the 5th best prospect he's ever scouted in terms of expected WARP.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#710 » by BucksFanSD » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:03 am

From Pelton,

Historically, the best prospects have been those who rate in the top 10 of my stats-only projections and go among the top 10 picks. Typically, there's an average of about three such players from the college ranks, but this year only one NCAA player among ESPN's Jonathan Givony's top 10 prospects is also in my stats-only top 10: Iowa State guard Tyrese Haliburton.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#711 » by BucksFanSD » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:07 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Yeah Haliburton doesn't feel like a typical top 5ish pick. But that's the real problem with this draft where everyone kind of feels like late lotto type prospects with no real elite group.

That is how I feel as well. Not much separation from the top down to where we will pick. I think it will come down to who really wants to put in the extra work to be good at the next level.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#712 » by emunney » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:26 am

I think Ball is a great prospect. Not a slam dunk #1 guy but I think he's absolutely as good or better prospect as most guards who go top 5. I think he's as good a prospect as any of the three most recent lead guards to go #1 (Wall, Fultz, Kyrie).
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#713 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:06 am

I love Hali, but I think the guard with the highest ceiling is Killian Hayes. He's got an amazing ability to take over games for someone so young, and he's built physically for the NBA. He might not be done growing. I'm not a Ball fan - ugly shooting form, imo and terrible defender. I don't see him being an efficient scorer - he's like the anti-Hali. Whoever picks Ball is going to lose a lot of games, because he demands a high usage rate while scoring inefficiently, and he doesn't play defense. I get why people are attracted to his game, but I can almost guarantee his teams will lose in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#714 » by Beorn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:57 am

Hayes was phenomenal this years as a 18yo lead guard in Eurocup.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#715 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:32 pm

Beorn wrote:Hayes was phenomenal this years as a 18yo lead guard in Eurocup.

The way he can so easily manipulate defenders is amazing for his age. I think his 3 point shot will come around - he just needs to be more consistent with it. I'd like him to show more ability to play off the ball and catch and shoot.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#716 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:48 pm

The thing about Hali - unlke Ball and Hayes - he's shown the ability to be great as a low usage point guard. Some will take that as a weakness and call him a role player. But if used as a high usage player, will he be able to handle that and stay efficient? I think that question (Is he a role player?) keeps him from getting picked in the top 5.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#717 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Yeah, Haliburton has a very prime-ish George Hill feel to him. Problem is that's not the most exciting upside if you're potentially spending a Top-5 pick. I think Minnesota should absolutely be all over him at #3 though. The sooner they realize that D-Lo is a 2 and not a lead guard, the sooner they can get a guy like Haliburton in there to perfectly complement him and KAT.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#718 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:06 pm

Do we have a 2nd this year? Because I want K-Mart Jr. (Mini-Mart?) on the Herd.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#719 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, Haliburton has a very prime-ish George Hill feel to him. Problem is that's not the most exciting upside if you're potentially spending a Top-5 pick. I think Minnesota should absolutely be all over him at #3 though. The sooner they realize that D-Lo is a 2 and not a lead guard, the sooner they can get a guy like Haliburton in there to perfectly complement him and KAT.

Oh yeah, he'd be perfect for Minnesota - both offensively and defensively.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#720 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, Haliburton has a very prime-ish George Hill feel to him. Problem is that's not the most exciting upside if you're potentially spending a Top-5 pick. I think Minnesota should absolutely be all over him at #3 though. The sooner they realize that D-Lo is a 2 and not a lead guard, the sooner they can get a guy like Haliburton in there to perfectly complement him and KAT.
Absolutely see the George Hill comp. He'd be perfect for the Suns where they need a bench combo guard now and a replacement for Rubio in two years.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks