2021 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#201 » by No-Man » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Dude you have Badji, who sucks over Garuba, I mean you got freaking Petrusev over Usman, guys like Nix and Cissé over him are also ridiculous...
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#202 » by getrichordie » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:03 pm

Don't mind Fisch. He actively tries to **** on people's takes every chance he gets. Pay no attention.

There's a good chance Badji and Cisse end up better prospects than Garuba with the right coaching.

Freakish athleticism for their size is being undervalued here.

A lot of guys on this board undervalue size and athleticism to a significant degree, in my opinion.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#203 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:49 am

"Other" guys to keep an eye on for 2021:

* = if they return

Matt Mitchell (SDSU)*
Kwane Marble II (Wyoming)
Jason Preston (Ohio)
Jalen Pickett (Siena)

Also, I'm going to throw in a super deep sleeper pick in Umoja Gibson out of North Texas. If he can fix his handles, he could be something. Dude has Curry-ish range.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#204 » by Almond2Oak » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:23 am

Fischella wrote:Dude you have Badji, who sucks over Garuba, I mean you got freaking Petrusev over Usman, guys like Nix and Cissé over him are also ridiculous...

And... as I wrote (must go to real nba team) because he IDB if picked by the sorry ass Knicks, or Orlando, or etc... will be Thabeet 2.0 just way more athletic. IDB ceiling is insanely higher then Usman, but the risk is far more.

Petrusev has an offensive game.

Cisse has a higher ceiling IMVHO

Now, further, I literally posted Usman ceiling is Trez... a dude who’s killing for the Clips... about to make 80-100m and you throwing shade? Usman will be lucky to be the next Trez, if that’s his ceiling, I guarantee he, his family and his agent and nba team will be just fine and dandy.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#205 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:56 am

Fisch is right about this one tho, Garuba is a legit top 5 or 6 prospect, he's that good

only Euros that come close right now are Roko and Diabate, even then Garuba is in his own tier at this point
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#206 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:05 am

clyde21 wrote:Fisch is right about this one tho, Garuba is a legit top 5 or 6 prospect, he's that good

only Euros that come close right now are Roko and Diabate, even then Garuba is in his own tier at this point

Sell me on him.

Athletic as hell.
55% free throw shooter.
Good rebounder.
Good defender.
Decent enough passer.
Finishes well around the rim.

What am I missing that makes him a top 5-6 prospect?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#207 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:09 am

projects well as a modern combo big in the NBA, top tier athlete but also functionally athletic and skilled, strong in the paint on both sides, covers a lot of ground, + ball skills for his position/role, nuanced for his age, relatively high floor given his absurdly high ceiling
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#208 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:20 am

clyde21 wrote:projects well as a modern combo big in the NBA, top tier athlete but also functionally athletic and skilled, strong in the paint on both sides, covers a lot of ground, + ball skills for his position/role, nuanced for his age, relatively high floor given his absurdly high ceiling

I get that he's still young, but how does he project to be a combo big given his outside shooting percentages + FT%? Does he have a mid-range game I don't know about?

I can see him as a super small ball 5 as it stands.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#209 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:05 am

oh ffs this idea that any PF that can't shoot a 3 should be relegated to being a 'small ball 5' needs to die
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#210 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:32 am

clyde21 wrote:oh ffs this idea that any PF that can't shoot a 3 should be relegated to being a 'small ball 5' needs to die

Well who would you compare his game to then? Name a successful starting 4 that can't shoot 3s in today's league. More than one preferably...

Plus, you are the one who called him a "modern combo big." Not sure how you can be "modern" if you can't shoot outside of finishing at/around the rim. And no, he's not Draymond.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#211 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 am

getrichordie wrote:
clyde21 wrote:oh ffs this idea that any PF that can't shoot a 3 should be relegated to being a 'small ball 5' needs to die

Well who would you compare his game to then? Name a successful starting 4 that can't shoot 3s in today's league. More than one preferably...

Plus, you are the one who called him a "modern combo big." Not sure how you can be "modern" if you can't shoot outside of finishing at/around the rim. And no, he's not Draymond.

Dray, Bam, Giannis, Randle, Isaac, Simmons, Zion

also guys like Siakam and Williams who didn't shoot 3s at all to start their careers but got better as they got older

point is his baseline is strong and comes with a high ceiling as well if he does even develop a shot, but just because he doesn't have it today doesn't mean he should be relegated to being a small ball 5, it's nonsense

you can easily put him at the 4 for example on Minny next to Towns at the 5, or next to Vuc, or next to B Lopez, etc.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#212 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:54 am

clyde21 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Dray, Bam, Giannis, Randle, Isaac, Simmons, Zion

also guys like Siakam and Williams who didn't shoot 3s at all to start their careers but got better as they got older

point is his baseline is strong and comes with a high ceiling as well if he does even develop a shot, but just because he doesn't have it today doesn't mean he should be relegated to being a small ball 5, it's nonsense

you can easily put him at the 4 for example on Minny next to Towns at the 5, or next to Vuc, or next to B Lopez, etc.

Garuba is probably the worst FT shooter out of this bunch, even when you account for age. I believe all of these guys were better FT shooters than UG at 18.

Garuba has showed flashes of decent passing, but he's no Bam. Why do we keep trying to find the next Bam? Just chill.

Bam plays next to two stretch 5s (KO, ML) when he's not playing the 5, so I get what you are saying about being able to play next to guys like Vuc and Lopez, but there aren't a ton of guys like that in the league so he's not very portable in terms of maximizing his projected skill set which puts a cap on his value.

And obviously he's not a 6'8 point guard so the comparison to Simmons is a moot point.

Draymond works because he plays next to two historic shooters. Ask anyone on trade board and they will tell you that his value outside of a Warriors' decreases greatly due to fit issues. Draymond is also an amazingly high IQ player. That's an incredibly high ceiling for Garuba to reach. And Draymond actually had 1-2 seasons + stretches where he has shot the 3 well. You should know this since you are a Warriors fan.

He's not Giannis. Giannis' development trajectory is not something that happens often in the NBA.

Current Randle is probably closer to his high-end offensive outcome as it stands and that's not returning top 5 value.

Haven't watched enough of Isaac to make a comp but imagine he projects or did project to be a better shooter than UG.

And let's face it. The dude's not Zion.

I get that we've had a couple of undersized but incredibly athletic guys succeed in the NBA as of recent, but those are outlier guys. Nothing I've seen from Garuba suggests he's that level of outlier.

He averaged 4 points per game this season FFS.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#213 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:29 am

jesus, I'm not saying he's' the next Giannis or any of these guys, I'm giving you 4s that don't have to shoot 3s at any real level to be 4s in the NBA, you asked and I gave you the list

the idea that he can't play PF in the NBA because he doesn't shoot 3s (he's improved every year so far in that dept, btw) is just nonsensical, stop trying to silo players into these stupid boxes.

will he play small ball 5? yes. will he also play the 4? also yes, especially next to any stretch 5 which would be a great fit...that's the point and that's why he's a combo big...if he ends up hitting 3s at some point that's just icing on the cake.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#214 » by No-Man » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:57 am

Almond2Oak wrote:
Fischella wrote:Dude you have Badji, who sucks over Garuba, I mean you got freaking Petrusev over Usman, guys like Nix and Cissé over him are also ridiculous...

And... as I wrote (must go to real nba team) because he IDB if picked by the sorry ass Knicks, or Orlando, or etc... will be Thabeet 2.0 just way more athletic. IDB ceiling is insanely higher then Usman, but the risk is far more.

Now, further, I literally posted Usman ceiling is Trez... a dude who’s killing for the Clips... about to make 80-100m and you throwing shade? Usman will be lucky to be the next Trez, if that’s his ceiling, I guarantee he, his family and his agent and nba team will be just fine and dandy.

Dude, Usman is nothing like Harrell, and Badji is never going to be nothing because he is older than advertised, lazy as all **** and dumb, he is def athletic but he isn't good at basketball

You are talking ceilings with no base, that just won't fly, Petrusev has beaten up small schools and has been ass whenever they matched up with real bigs, thinking that he is better than Garuba is just silly, sorry

Cisse is a pogo stick with not much of a game to go around that, he is the new Diallo, Birch etc
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#215 » by Almond2Oak » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Fischella wrote:
Almond2Oak wrote:

Dude, Usman is nothing like Harrell, and Badji is never going to be nothing because he is older than advertised, lazy as all **** and dumb, he is def athletic but he isn't good at basketball

You are talking ceilings with no base, that just won't fly, Petrusev has beaten up small schools and has been ass whenever they matched up with real bigs, thinking that he is better than Garuba is just silly, sorry

Cisse is a pogo stick with not much of a game to go around that, he is the new Diallo, Birch etc

Exactly he’s nothing like Trez because Usman has little to no offensive game, maybe 1-2 total moves in his arsenal. Trez actually has O game. Usman is a undersized rim running 4 who might grow and play a small ball 5. Great rebounder. Great defender. Zero offense.

It’s obvious you haven’t watched FP. If by “ass” you mean:

v. Texas A&M: 14/10
v. Oregon: 22/15
v. Michigan: 9/9
v. Washington: 17/10
v. Arizona: 16/7
v. North Carolina: 20/4

He averaged 16 & 9.. shot 52%.. added 8 blocks... added 17 Offensive Rebounds. Gonzaga went 5-1 v. P5 opponents. In fact they only lost to Michigan because FP went 4/16.

As far as Cisse, yep, he also has work to do on O as nearly all HS bigs do, but he’s more twitchy, +3 inches taller, has a +2 inch wingspan over Usman and Cisse is a elite shot blocker... he’s also 11 months younger then Usman.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#216 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:29 pm

some really dumb Garuba takes in this thread that are not gonna age well at all.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#217 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:some really dumb Garuba takes in this thread that are not gonna age well at all.

We will see. It's super easy to just repeat takes you see online.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#218 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 pm

getrichordie wrote:
clyde21 wrote:some really dumb Garuba takes in this thread that are not gonna age well at all.

lol...wtf are u even talking about at this point
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#219 » by getrichordie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:04 pm

clyde21 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Garuba has a lot of potential, sure. But you are exclaiming that he is a top 5-6 prospect in this year's class. You are talking as if he is a guy you can plug in and play from the get go and he's not.

I believe you've even said he can handle the ball, which is not the case. He has no consistent outside shot (from 3 or mid-range) and has barely played minutes at the EuroLeague level.

So... as far as I can tell, you are just parroting the hype you are seeing online.

Why? Because everyone wants to find the next Bam or undersized star.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#220 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:09 pm

getrichordie wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Garuba has a lot of potential, sure. But you are exclaiming that he is a top 5-6 prospect in this year's class. You are talking as if he is a guy you can plug in and play from the get go and he's not.

I believe you've even said he can handle the ball, which is not the case. He has no consistent outside shot (from 3 or mid-range) and has barely played minutes at the EuroLeague level.

So... as far as I can tell, you are just parroting the hype you are seeing online.

Why? Because everyone wants to find the next Bam or undersized star.

lol ok broski

and I could give 2 **** about 'finding the next Bam', I evaluate case by case, not based on anything else, bucko.

Return to NBA Draft