ImageImageImageImageImage

Your top 10 of all time list?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,145

Your top 10 of all time list? 

Post#1 » by SlimShady83 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Eh it's not quite the offseason but might as well be. ?

Had a few drinks so why not make a new thread.

"Your" top 10 list of all time :)

I quote Your for a reason it's your personal choice :) and your opinion

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) B.Russel
4) Bird
5) Duncan
6) Kobe
7) Magic Johnson
8) Wilt Chamberlain
9) Shaq
10) Hakeem Olajuwon

I'm sorry for you Lebron fans I know his won 3 chips been too finals like 8 times, but you have too agree that was all in the weak ass east and if you look at the above list You just can't argue and even put him in the top 10 list

You can't even argue him being even close too MJ OR even Kobe heck even Magic..

There's too much talent out there. and there even about another 5 or so players I could probably mention b4 Lebron.

I know I'm not a fan of him nave have been never will be, so you could call me biased or what ever lol but Just don't see him top10 maybe top 15, just maybe

What's your top 10?
Bring back Defense
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Your top 10 of all time list? 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Thu May 21, 2020 8:00 pm

1a: Kareem
1b: Wilt
2a: MJ
2b: Magic
3a: Kobe
3b: Bird
3c: Russell
4: LeBron
5: BigO
6: Shaq
7: Duncan
8: Elgin Baylor
9: Jerry West
10: Dr J

The problem with these lists is that there are players that had similar impact on the game but did it in different ways, and it ends up coming down to personal preference who's best. Who you watched growing up, what team they played for, how likeable they are, etc...
So I hedge a little now because i can't pick who's best all time between Kareem and Wilt for example... Wilt was an absolute freak of nature and probably the best individual basketball player the league has ever seen... But Kareem was more skilled and fundamental and a better team mate, along with having a longer career and winning more.
But I think they were both better players than MJ who probably had the most impact on the NBA of anyone. But Magic was similarly marketable and with the way he played the game, probably had similar impact... His style of play was if not revolutionary, at least hasn't been duplicated. MJ was the greatest scorer and SG to play the game, and Magic was the best Floor General (point forward in today's lingo, probably)... I personally would rather watch Magic than any player in history. So this is where I have him... MJ was probably more impactful so I have him first on the second tier but Magic I think should be there too.
Bird and Russell also had similar impact in different ways, and Kobe and Bird were a really close comparison in style and impact.
The rest of the list is subjective... I'm not the biggest LeBron fan, but you can't really argue with his numbers and impact... If he sticks with the Lakers for the rest of his career and gets a few more rings, I'll bump him up... But there's already talk about where he's going next... So...
Oscar Robertson gets the shaft in history... He was just a damn good all around basketball player that wasn't going to win **** against the Celtic Dream Team... He was Magic before Magic... And doesn't get the credit he desrves IMO...
Shaq was the most dominant player since Wilt... For a handful of seasons... He just didn't seem to have the drive, focus and intensity to stay with it like some of the other guys on the list... Maybe he should be higher just based on initial impact, but I can't get how he sort of coasted through the later part of his career.
Duncan was great all around... Fundamental... But he was on an extremely good team his entire career. In a list like this where everyone is so close, I just can't put him any higher... And that's not an insult.
Baylor, West and DrJ all deserve a place in the top tier, but no higher than this and you could probable swap them around and still be right IMO.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,621

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Fri May 22, 2020 5:42 am

1. Jordan
2. KAJ
3. Lebron
4. Wilt
5. Russell
6. Kobe
7. Magic
8. Bird
9. Shaq
10. Duncan
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,440

Post#4 » by Slava » Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 am

I feel like a dummy judging anything prior to 2000 as I wasn't old enough to even have had an opinion on most things at that time but anyways:

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. LeBron
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Russell
7. Shaq
8. Wilt
9. Duncan
10. Hakeem
11. Kobe

You can talk me into swapping 7-11 any different way.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#5 » by SlimShady83 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 am

Slava wrote:I feel like a dummy judging anything prior to 2000 as I wasn't old enough to even have had an opinion on most things at that time but anyways:

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. LeBron
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Russell
7. Shaq
8. Wilt
9. Duncan
10. Hakeem
11. Kobe

You can talk me into swapping 7-11 any different way.

Can I talk you out of Lebron being top 3 heck even top 5 I just don't see it lol
Bring back Defense
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#6 » by SlimShady83 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 am

Kilroy wrote:1a: Kareem
1b: Wilt
2a: MJ
2b: Magic
3a: Kobe
3b: Bird
3c: Russell
4: LeBron
5: BigO
6: Shaq
7: Duncan
8: Elgin Baylor
9: Jerry West
10: Dr J

Oscar Robertson gets the shaft in history... He was just a damn good all around basketball player that wasn't going to win **** against the Celtic Dream Team...

I was going to put him in there to be honest, but Hakeem won the job :)

My Top 10 was mostly by champion ships and all round game at their position. Why I just couldn't place Oscar in top 10. He would be 11-12 with west, then probably Lerbon, Lebron for me would be between 12-15 And I'm probably still missing a tone of great players that I can't currently think of
Bring back Defense
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#7 » by chefy » Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Would never rank TD above Kobe.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#8 » by Landsberger » Fri May 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Yeah... TD is not someone I'd put up there either. Then again I don't count championships in this "greatest ever" thing either. 72 Championship series and the Lakers and Celtics have been in 52 of them combined (many against each other). 57 championship wins by 8 teams.

To me Duncan was a great player but he lacked the ability to take a game over. SA's run(s) were about team not individuals.

In no particular order:

Plausible arguments could be made about each being the greatest IMHO. I've always leaned toward Kareem but MJ is hard to deny.

Kareem
MJ
Kobe
Magic
LeBron
Wilt
These guys were known at times in their career for playing both ends of the floor at league leading level.... well except Magic :D. He's there because he changed the game.

A group that has got a lot of talent and successes but not quite in that top group.

Havlicek
Baylor
Hakeem
Bird
Oscar
Pettit
Shaq
Hondo and Baylor on on the bubble to move up IMHO. The rest were dominant for shorter stretches than the upper group but every bit as good in those stretches.

Depending on the criteria of the discussion you could move any of these guys up

Malone (Karl)
Malone (Moses)
Russell
Dr J
Elvin Hayes
Dave Cowens
Bob Cousy
Kevin Garnet
West
Duncan

This group supported great teams. Cowens was a great lost in the 70's. He was a guy who had Jordan's drive to win and rose to the occasion. Garnet was steady but never as dominant as the upper groups. Dr J was a one man show for 12 years then won a chip later in his career. Russell is a guy I never know what to do with in these lists either. Those Boston teams were all about team and he was the glue on those teams but was never a balanced player offensively. Moses had a 5 year streak of dominance and rebounding his own misses. Elvin Hayes was another lost talent of the 70's.

The Mailman is one that gets overlooked a lot on these lists. Probably the best offensive PF ever. A great rebounder and played at a very high level for 19 years. You could start your score sheet with 20 and 10 for 16 years in a row. I'm surprised he doesn't get more attention. Had Jordan not been around he might have won 4 MVP's... or more. He was consistent and more versatile than a guy like Duncan IMHO. Duncan's teams won championships and Malone's didn't is the only difference I see. Swap them and have Duncan's teams play the Bulls and I don't see him getting 5 chips. This is why I hate using a team accomplishment to evaluate an individual's greatness. 25 and 10 for 19 seasons. Only Kareem has done that. He dropped his average below 25 with his 20th season.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#9 » by lazybatman » Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 am

SlimShady83 wrote:Eh it's not quite the offseason but might as well be. ?

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) B.Russel
4) Bird
5) Duncan
6) Kobe
7) Magic Johnson
8) Wilt Chamberlain
9) Shaq
10) Hakeem Olajuwon

I'm sorry for you Lebron fans I know his won 3 chips been too finals like 8 times, but you have too agree that was all in the weak ass east and if you look at the above list You just can't argue and even put him in the top 10 list

There's too much talent out there. and there even about another 5 or so players I could probably mention b4 Lebron.

I know I'm not a fan of him nave have been never will be, so you could call me biased or what ever lol but Just don't see him top10 maybe top 15, just maybe

What's your top 10?

So this is meant to be another Lebron hate thread, not an all time top 10 thread after all.. WUM!!
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by lazybatman » Sun May 24, 2020 10:37 am

Okay, just to put things in context -

-Mike ordered the doc after the 2016 Cleveland title parade out of insecurity (Not my words, but Skip Bayless' - he should be like a god to you all. I'll put my money on him being America's next president.)
-The NBA announced Lebron as the No.2 all time in the top 74 list published this year, and the top 70 list published 4 years ago.
-Those of you who think Kobe(god rest his soul), Bird, Magic, Russell were better than any of Wilt, Mike or Lebron - just take a walk and don't talk about basketball anymore.

It's not about rings or shooting a 3 over someone else in the finals, or Robert Horry and Reggie Miller would be deemed better than Michael. Each player had a different path but clearly Wilt, Mike & Lebron have dominated eras like none of the others have done. And facts back those up. I'd maybe add a tier for Kareem after those 3, and then start counting Bird, Magic, Duncan, Kobe, Isaiah, Russell, Shaq..

Mike isn't cool because he was petty and insecure. He was cool cos he was arguably the greatest basketball player ever. Don't try to be like Mike for the wrong reasons. :wink: :wink:
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#11 » by Landsberger » Sun May 24, 2020 4:43 pm

Subjectivity comes into this but to leave LeBron off the list is over the biased to irrationality line.

Bron is a combination of Karl Malone and Magic in many ways. He's had success and has been consistently the best player in the game for 15 years. He's showing longevity, which I value in these lists, and he's showing leadership. That's the package that gets you in the tip 5 IMHO. I say this and I've never been a huge fan of his either.

As for him being clearly much better than Kobe I'm not so sure of that. I think Kobe rubbed a lot of people the wrong way over his career and it's lingered and clouded what he really did. Interesting to see that he's almost at the bottom of some lists here. I guess he didn't pass enough...
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,825

Post#12 » by Beethoven » Mon May 25, 2020 9:07 pm

Kobe LeBron shaq magic kobe LeBron shaq magic kobe LeBron
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,267

Post#13 » by Dr Aki » Tue May 26, 2020 5:12 am

Tier 1.
Kareem
Jordan
LeBron
Magic
Russell

Tier 2.
Wilt
Kobe
Duncan
Shaq
Bird
Hakeem

Yes that's 11
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#14 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 am

lazybatman wrote:

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) B.Russel
4) Bird
5) Duncan
6) Kobe
7) Magic Johnson
8) Wilt Chamberlain
9) Shaq
10) Hakeem Olajuwon

What's your top 10?

So this is meant to be another Lebron hate thread, not an all time top 10 thread after all.. WUM!!

I would never :) .. I respect his talent, just not a fan, but as you can see with my top 10 it's hard too put him in ... If did what he has don in the 80's/90's and not in the easy 2000's I'd put him in <> It's Friday and I'm drinking maybe I should stop drinking, but I love my wknds... haha. His in my top 15 if that helps, but with all the great players in the top10 it's hard to put him up there.

Everyone compares him too Jordan/Kobe ... But in all honesty even Bird himself would destroy Lebron he had both inside/outside game and trash talk to go along with it and get in Lebron's head easy. So another reason for not even top 10

Edit: Also stating yet again that he done what he done in the weak ass east, east hasn't been strong for a while now. But I'd say if he did what he did in the west I'd maybe just maybe put him in the top 10 ... But if he wins a chip OR 2 As Lakers I'll maybe yet again consider it :) just maybe

**** this gonna get the ball rolling lol
Bring back Defense
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by lazybatman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:07 am

SlimShady83 wrote:
lazybatman wrote:

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) B.Russel
4) Bird
5) Duncan
6) Kobe
7) Magic Johnson
8) Wilt Chamberlain
9) Shaq
10) Hakeem Olajuwon

What's your top 10?

I would never :) .. I respect his talent, just not a fan, but as you can see with my top 10 it's hard too put him in ... If did what he has don in the 80's/90's and not in the easy 2000's I'd put him in <> It's Friday and I'm drinking maybe I should stop drinking, but I love my wknds... haha. His in my top 15 if that helps, but with all the great players in the top10 it's hard to put him up there.

Everyone compares him too Jordan/Kobe ... But in all honesty even Bird himself would destroy Lebron he had both inside/outside game and trash talk to go along with it and get in Lebron's head easy. So another reason for not even top 10

Edit: Also stating yet again that he done what he done in the weak ass east, east hasn't been strong for a while now. But I'd say if he did what he did in the west I'd maybe just maybe put him in the top 10 ... But if he wins a chip OR 2 As Lakers I'll maybe yet again consider it :) just maybe

**** this gonna get the ball rolling lol

You should indeed stop drinking, cos it's been many Friday's since you started this. Maybe watch some basketball when you do.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,229

Post#16 » by ardee » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:35 pm

LeBron
Jordan
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Magic
Duncan
Kobe
Bird

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#17 » by LakersLegacy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:40 am

I really don't know how to rank players I wasn't alive for.

I would guess Wilt over Russell because Wilt was the best athlete in the world. I've read how Russell was mentally on another level. And his teammates and coach were all so great.

What's your top 10 for the modern era only. Who breaks in and takes Wilt and Russell's places. Perhaps even Kareems place since a lot of his all time greatness occurred before the 3 point line
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#18 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:32 pm

Jordan
Kobe
Lebron
Shaq
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Hakeem
Wilt

no, duncan does not make my list as you can literally replace him with any top 10 PF ever and pretty much get the same results under popovich.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#19 » by Freighttrain » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 pm

1. LeBron/Jordan/Kareem
2. Kareem/Lebron/Jordan
3. Jordan/Kareem/LeBron
4. Magic
5. Russel
6. Duncan
7. Shaq
8. Hakeem
9. KD (this might piss people off here but I genuinely think he's that good, perhaps this is also a bit more projection-based)
10. Bird
11. Kobe

Return to Los Angeles Lakers