ImageImage

NBA - The Re-Open: - Connaughton has Covid-19, pg. 94

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Re: NBA - The Re-Open: - Avery Bradley out, Page 55 

Post#1181 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:37 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:Whens the Bucks Board Fast Food Bracket taking nominations?

I have many thoughts that are as intense as my concern for the health of others. There appears to be posters who share this passion also.

chonestown wrote:While waiting for my Arby-Q and jamocha milkshake, I pondered the folly of exposing NBA talent to an indefatigable virus. A contemplative moment was interrupted by the grade-D meat sandwich passed through the extra pane of plexiglass.

I nodded at the teenager handling my food and with all the gravitas I could muster intoned "Stay safe, my dude."

Doofus forgot my horsey sauce. Hope LeBron don't catch the bug.

Any bracket that doesn't give Jamocha shake HCA and a 4-round bye to go straight to the championship would be illegitimate and deserve an asterick.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1182 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:38 pm

Won't lie, from a drama/interest standpoint, it was a let down the kings were the "4-players test positive'' team
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#1183 » by StickeeFingaz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Some of these guys are out playing pickup games without any safety protocols.
#FreeChuckDiesel
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#1184 » by StickeeFingaz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:26 pm

On the latest Hoop Collective pod, Windy said that many players don't have a fear of getting COVID-19 because players have talked to other players who have been infected and the infected players have bounced back (so far). They also talked about if these players had fear of being infected, they wouldn't be playing in open gyms/summer runs.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1185 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:55 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:On the latest Hoop Collective pod, Windy said that many players don't have a fear of getting COVID-19 because players have talked to other players who have been infected and the infected players have bounced back (so far). They also talked about if these players had fear of being infected, they wouldn't be playing in open gyms/summer runs.

Don't necessary agree with the last line. I have different thresholds on what is acceptable for me and what is acceptable for a corporation. I might feel comfortable making the choice to go to the grocery store but I was annoyed when my company was forcing me into the office when I can do my job remotely and co-workers had first responders living with them. Was my work less safe than the grocery store? Probably not, but implied choice has a weird psychological effect whether right or wrong.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Post#1186 » by Profound23 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:59 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:On the latest Hoop Collective pod, Windy said that many players don't have a fear of getting COVID-19 because players have talked to other players who have been infected and the infected players have bounced back (so far). They also talked about if these players had fear of being infected, they wouldn't be playing in open gyms/summer runs.

This is a valid point. Also I seen multiple athletes protesting without masks. Russell Westbrook and Derozan were around hundreds of protesters with no mask on, taking selfies.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1187 » by jschligs » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:38 pm

Trae Young was playing pick up ball in an absolutely slammed gym lol...I have a feeling a ton of players don't care.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Post#1188 » by DanoMac » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:22 pm

The Trae Young vid is cringy af
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Post#1189 » by DanoMac » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:26 pm

steger_3434 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I haven't paid a minute's worth of attention to Parker in years. Is he still what he was? Has he gotten any better on defense? Less single minded on offense?

I thought he was looking good on the wizards and real solid on the hawks when he got a chance with injuries and a suspension they were dealing with. As soon as they were full strength he immediately didn’t play anymore, was traded to the Kings, and they immediately basically said he was t in their plans.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Call me crazy, but with the amount of teams he's been on, and his playing time situations, there's gotta be some behind the scenes stuff going on.

I always found it weird that he never really hung out with the team when he was here (during the time when Mayo? would organize group activities for the team).

He always made side comments too (I remember one talking about Kendrick Lamar, he made a comment how he's the only one on the team into intelligent rap or something and the rest of the guys were into bangers and screaming).

Maybe he just isn't well liked? Bad attitude?

The dude is crazy talented and you'd think that SOME coach would invest in him and try to coach some semblance of defense (ala Amare Stoudemire).
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#1190 » by SkilesTheLimit » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:06 pm

DanoMac wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I haven't paid a minute's worth of attention to Parker in years. Is he still what he was? Has he gotten any better on defense? Less single minded on offense?

I thought he was looking good on the wizards and real solid on the hawks when he got a chance with injuries and a suspension they were dealing with. As soon as they were full strength he immediately didn’t play anymore, was traded to the Kings, and they immediately basically said he was t in their plans.

Call me crazy, but with the amount of teams he's been on, and his playing time situations, there's gotta be some behind the scenes stuff going on.

I always found it weird that he never really hung out with the team when he was here (during the time when Mayo? would organize group activities for the team).

He always made side comments too (I remember one talking about Kendrick Lamar, he made a comment how he's the only one on the team into intelligent rap or something and the rest of the guys were into bangers and screaming).

The dude is crazy talented and you'd think that SOME coach would invest in him and try to coach some semblance of defense (ala Amare Stoudemire).

He will be out of the league in 1-2 years. He’s a one trick pony and doesn’t give any effort on one side of the ball. Players like him are a dime a dozen.

Something is definitely off with him. It’s cringe-worthy listening to him speak. He’s the kid in school that tries to use big words or cliches and none of them ever make sense or are used in the right context.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1191 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:20 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:
DanoMac wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:I thought he was looking good on the wizards and real solid on the hawks when he got a chance with injuries and a suspension they were dealing with. As soon as they were full strength he immediately didn’t play anymore, was traded to the Kings, and they immediately basically said he was t in their plans.

He will be out of the league in 1-2 years. He’s a one trick pony and doesn’t give any effort on one side of the ball. Players like him are a dime a dozen.

Something is definitely off with him. It’s cringe-worthy listening to him speak. He’s the kid in school that tries to use big words or cliches and none of them ever make sense or are used in the right context.

On the outside looking in, reminds me of a more benevolent Kyrie. Just a disconnect with reality and being death to other perspectives. I think he well-intentioned but doesn't recognize his own falls. (tries hard on defense for little bit, but completely forgets the time he loses his man-thinks he is trying on defense)
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1192 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:30 pm

Brian Windhorst acknowledged today there is an “information blackout” in regards to player health, a notion deemed “absurd” on page four of this thread.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1193 » by Badgerlander » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:23 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Brian Windhorst acknowledged today there is an “information blackout” in regards to player health, a notion deemed “absurd” on page four of this thread.

Not sure if you were referring to some of my posts or not but I was talking about players not being able to keep things from the teams not the teams being able to keep stuff out of the press
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#1194 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:56 pm

That's how I viewed it too. There was talk of players and agents keeping things quiet due to pending free agency. . That's not what's happening.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,251

Post#1195 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:07 am

This has been one of the major challenges with this disease going back to spring break. I feel like COVID-19 is sort of a bizarro global warming. Old people aren't worried about global warming because it largely won't affect them and will only affect young people so they don't do anything to stop it. Young people don't feel they have a reason to be scared of COVID-19 because it's a very minor disease for young people despite being very deadly for old people. So young people feel invincible and end up being carriers and contributing to the spread which leads to more people dying. In Orange County, the median age of people who test positive is 29 years old but the median age of those who die of COVID-19 in the entire state is 77 (I couldn't find Orange County specific data).
Read on Twitter
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#1196 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:13 am

Read on Twitter

I wonder if the NBA expected all these players to opt out for reasons that have nothing to do with COVID-19 when they allowed that provision.

Read on Twitter
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#1197 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:46 am

ElPeregrino wrote:I wonder if the NBA expected all these players to opt out for reasons that have nothing to do with COVID-19 when they allowed that provision.

Tend to think Covid is somehow in the background in most of these decisions. Larger factor IMO is how much money a guy has in the bank versus his desire to disrupt his life/health/family. We'll see this play out in jobs of all types across the economy over the next six-months. What do I need to make ($), what are my families expectations and how do those intersect with my risk tolerance.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1198 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:04 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wonder if the NBA expected all these players to opt out for reasons that have nothing to do with COVID-19 when they allowed that provision.
I don't think the opt out was soley for fear of catching covid but more an option because of the unique situation on multiple levels. All so far except I guess Bertans opted out for family reasons. Bertans made a business decision but I think everyone gets it and I didn't see too much push back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Post#1199 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:22 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't think the opt out was soley for fear of catching covid but more an option because of the unique situation on multiple levels. All so far except I guess Bertans opted out for family reasons. Bertans made a business decision but I think everyone gets it and I didn't see too much push back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

A not insignificant part of Bertans not getting push back is that he plays for Washington. I don't know where the demarcation line is for acceptability of opting out for business reasons for most people, but Washington is well below that line. If Paul Millsap makes the same decision, I would guess it would not be quite as well received
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#1200 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:25 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:I wonder if the NBA expected all these players to opt out for reasons that have nothing to do with COVID-19 when they allowed that provision.

Tend to think Covid is somehow in the background in most of these decisions. Larger factor IMO is how much money a guy has in the bank versus his desire to disrupt his life/health/family. We'll see this play out in jobs of all types across the economy over the next six-months. What do I need to make ($), what are my families expectations and how do those intersect with my risk tolerance.

I think the key difference is the rest of us can work and still see our friends and family. NBA players are being forced to choose between working and being with their family (and they are guaranteed a job to return to if they choose family). Or in the case of Bertans risk injury while he is on a small contract when he is a free agent this offseason in line for a big pay increase. I am sure there are players in contract years at the end of every season who would like to sit out to avoid injury but it seems anti-competitive to allow Bertans to sit out for that reason.

Personally, I don't blame any of the players for opting out and I would've likely made the same decision myself if I was in their shoes.

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks