Many NBA Players Don't Appear To Have 'Huge Fear' Of COVID-19

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Many NBA Players Don't Appear To Have 'Huge Fear' Of COVID-19 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 pm

There have been a number of positive COVID-19 tests amongst players publicly reported this week and it is believed to be even additional cases have not been reported, which may speak to how easily the virus can spread but also the lack of concern amongst players on their risk level if they are infected. The widely held belief is that COVID-19 is more dangerous for older people and for those with preexisting conditions such as respiratory issues.

"The players believe, at least some of them believe, I know because I've talked to folks who are advising them that the data tables on this show that getting infected has a generally positive outcome," said Brian Windhorst on his podcast. "And that I don't think there's, how do I say this...? My feel from talking to people is that there isn't a huge fear. Because many of the players know other players who have had it and talked to them and they've described it and they've bounced back."

"If there was a huge fear, they wouldn't be out playing pickup ball," replied Tim MacMahon.

Buddy Hield, who tested positive for COVID-19, was playing in a men's summer league in Oklahoma City.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Many NBA Players Don't Appear To Have 'Huge Fear' Of COVID-19 

Post#2 » by d-train » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:36 pm

I don't know any young people that are afraid of getting the China virus. Sure, everyone is happy to go along with an occasional holiday, especially a paid one. However, I don't know anyone that gives up something fun because of fear of the virus.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,831

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:50 pm

d-train wrote:I don't know any young people that are afraid of getting the China virus. Sure, everyone is happy to go along with an occasional holiday, especially a paid one. However, I don't know anyone that gives up something fun because of fear of the virus.

Could you be any less racist?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#4 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
d-train wrote:I don't know any young people that are afraid of getting the China virus. Sure, everyone is happy to go along with an occasional holiday, especially a paid one. However, I don't know anyone that gives up something fun because of fear of the virus.

US President Donald Trump has defended repeatedly calling the coronavirus the "Chinese virus" during a news conference, ignoring criticism that it is racist.

"It's not racist at all," Trump said, explaining his reasoning after a reporter told him many consider it racist. "It comes from China, that's why."
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#5 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:52 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Yes he could be. Unfortunately probably doesn't want to be.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#6 » by d-train » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:09 pm

It depends on how you define racist. I can't think of anything dumber than being offended by identifying a virus by its origin.
slay25
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#7 » by slay25 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:59 pm

imagine if the news reported it the way its been told to the NBA players, the true way... would we all yell at people for not wearing masks? or shame people for not wanting to turn a blind eye while the government puts the finishing touches on the surveillance state brave new world.
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#8 » by popfan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 am

Most Americans are denied facts about how coronavirus shreds the infected. Without fact you are ignorant. Coronavirus is a brutal virus if your immune system falters. It will maul you leaving you forever changed.

25% of American voters believe ardently in Trump. If you believe Trump you'll have no respect for the virus. You won't wear a mask, etc. Trump has led his followers and those around them to be vulnerable to the virus. When this misguidance is coupled with the ignorance that most Americans possess about coronavirus, you'll have millions of Americans partying without masks in Florida, Texas, etc. like idiots. European media is reporting that coronavirus has conquered the US. The world is laughing at us.

Brash young men like Hield and Gobert should be strongly discouraged by their franchises from playing. They need to stay indoors. Instead the NBA encourages them to play. It more than encourages them. It demands that they play else the "NBA will lose billions." At RealGM they'll gladly imply that player infections is the fault of players like Gobert and Hield. Only a fool would believe this. So yawn.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#9 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:52 am

slay25 wrote:imagine if the news reported it the way its been told to the NBA players, the true way... would we all yell at people for not wearing masks? or shame people for not wanting to turn a blind eye while the government puts the finishing touches on the surveillance state brave new world.

Yes all people should wear masks because it helps stop the spread to other people who may take it home to older people or immune compromised people this is only common sense.. Also the perfectly healthy can die or be severely effected by this virus just not as much.. it has a 10 to 20x death rate of the flu.. Not like 50% ppl die but 2 to 3% which would be millions..
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#10 » by deepeeenn » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:19 am

d-train wrote:It depends on how you define racist. I can't think of anything dumber than being offended by identifying a virus by its origin.

Really easy to say that if it didn't result in hate crimes...

Maybe YOU have the ability to separate the connotation between origin and race BUT many many others do not. This derogatory use of the term has led to hate crimes against Asians, not even just Chinese, all over the world. It could easily be diminished if it wasn't perpetuated. Especially because at this point, I doubt there's anyone in the world that doesn't know where the virus is from.
I ask you that you use a less derogatory term (ie Corona, Covid, C19, CV etc) because it is ultimately the most responsible thing to do.
If you've ever had an Asian friend in your life, consider being more respectful.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,116

Post#11 » by Plutonashfan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:58 am

dpnim wrote:
d-train wrote:It depends on how you define racist. I can't think of anything dumber than being offended by identifying a virus by its origin.

Maybe YOU have the ability to separate the connotation between origin and race BUT many many others do not. This derogatory use of the term has led to hate crimes against Asians, not even just Chinese, all over the world. It could easily be diminished if it wasn't perpetuated. Especially because at this point, I doubt there's anyone in the world that doesn't know where the virus is from.
I ask you that you use a less derogatory term (ie Corona, Covid, C19, CV etc) because it is ultimately the most responsible thing to do.
If you've ever had an Asian friend in your life, consider being more respectful.

Dude is clearly a racist why waste you time. Can't change stupid
The Champ is HERE!!!
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#12 » by deepeeenn » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:27 am

Plutonashfan wrote:
dpnim wrote:

Dude is clearly a racist why waste you time. Can't change stupid

Honestly? Because I still feel understanding brings us closer together. What I do with my time is my choice and at this point I’m okay trying to talk it out.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#13 » by TheCage4 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 am

I miss the time when basketball was discussed in these forums. Now we have posters discussing viruses like they’re doctors and racism like they’re social justice warriors.

News Flash: not even the medical professionals have a handle on this virus, let alone any politician, anywhere in the world. The political rhetoric is so tired. As for the topic of racism- it obviously exists and is wrong, but now everything is being deemed racist. Freedom of speech is dying, history is being erased, and free-will is being replaced with fear.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:42 pm

I can't think of anything dumber than having to use a racist term to describe a virus. What are you, 12?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:43 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

US President Donald Trump has defended repeatedly calling the coronavirus the "Chinese virus" during a news conference, ignoring criticism that it is racist.

"It's not racist at all," Trump said, explaining his reasoning after a reporter told him many consider it racist. "It comes from China, that's why."

So because a racist says it's not a racist term makes it less racist? lmao

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#16 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:46 pm

TheCage4 wrote:I miss the time when basketball was discussed in these forums. Now we have posters discussing viruses like they’re doctors and racism like they’re social justice warriors.

News Flash: not even the medical professionals have a handle on this virus, let alone any politician, anywhere in the world. The political rhetoric is so tired. As for the topic of racism- it obviously exists and is wrong, but now everything is being deemed racist. Freedom of speech is dying, history is being erased, and free-will is being replaced with fear.

Freedom of speech isn't dying, you are just upset that freedom of speech doesn't make people immune to the consequences of their actions or what they say. The government isn't preventing you from saying anything.

Also, taking down statues glorifying white supremacist traitors isn't erasing history. :lol: stop dog whistling.

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#17 » by TheCage4 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:I miss the time when basketball was discussed in these forums. Now we have posters discussing viruses like they’re doctors and racism like they’re social justice warriors.

Freedom of speech isn't dying, you are just upset that freedom of speech doesn't make people immune to the consequences of their actions or what they say. The government isn't preventing you from saying anything.

Also, taking down statues glorifying white supremacist traitors isn't erasing history. :lol: stop dog whistling.

I’m not sure where I said the Government is preventing freedom of speech? It’s the public. And I’m not trying to glorify racist speech or comments, I’m simply pointing out how everything is being perceived. It’s becoming common that people are thinking for the masses and not for themselves. That’s a slippery slope I’m not sliding down.

Also, since when are Gandhi, Jesus, and Abraham Lincoln white supremacist traitors? The mobs want to destroy a Lincoln monument that was funded by freed slaves! History is not there for you to like, it’s there for you to learn from. Tearing down a statue isn’t going to change the fact that slavery existed and prominent figures of this country were a part of it.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#18 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:38 pm

I can. Someone who feels the need to constantly remind everyone where the virus came from because they're racist.

Pretty dumb.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#19 » by -Sammy- » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 pm

This thread derailed pretty badly; in the spirit of magnanimity, I'm going to lock it rather than issuing all of you warnings. Don't assume such mercy for future threads.

Going forward, let's remember that the Wiretap board is intended for discussing these stories with a reasonable degree of decorum and civility.

Return to Wiretap Discussion