ImageImageImage

Woj- Pistons hire Troy Weaver as new GM

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Re: Woj- Pistons hire Troy Weaver as new GM 

Post#21 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:57 pm

If Weaver can have full control, I am very hopeful. If Eddy and Tommy can’t keep their thoughts to themselves. I grow very worried.
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#22 » by joeposh » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 am

Trying not to get too ahead of things, but I'm hoping we'll look back at this season as the one when the Pistons finally started to turn the corner.

1) Committing to the rebuild by not chasing any "win now" trades or big money free agents
2) Moving on from Drummond, and removing any cap holds and offseason questions from the equation
3) Finally committing to the tank, and not bringing any question of Casey's future into the discussion
4) Hiring a young, well regarded GM with a track record of success in a smaller market (something that probably would not have been possible without the previous points)

Reggie will be gone next, along with some of the other SVG overpays, and we'll hang onto Blake as a veteran leader and celeb player that moves some jerseys/tickets until his contract shifts from being a liability to an asset. In the meantime, we get to build a new identity and hopefully bring on young talent to start to make Detroit a destination again, and a real contender.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#23 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:17 am

joeposh wrote:Trying not to get too ahead of things, but I'm hoping we'll look back at this season as the one when the Pistons finally started to turn the corner.

1) Committing to the rebuild by not chasing any "win now" trades or big money free agents
2) Moving on from Drummond, and removing any cap holds and offseason questions from the equation
3) Finally committing to the tank, and not bringing any question of Casey's future into the discussion
4) Hiring a young, well regarded GM with a track record of success in a smaller market (something that probably would not have been possible without the previous points)

Reggie will be gone next, along with some of the other SVG overpays, and we'll hang onto Blake as a veteran leader and celeb player that moves some jerseys/tickets until his contract shifts from being a liability to an asset. In the meantime, we get to build a new identity and hopefully bring on young talent to start to make Detroit a destination again, and a real contender.
Reggie is already gone bro

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Post#24 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:59 am

Pharaoh wrote:
joeposh wrote:Trying not to get too ahead of things, but I'm hoping we'll look back at this season as the one when the Pistons finally started to turn the corner.

Reggie is already gone bro

Sad state of affairs that it's totally understandable that a fan would not know that- this team was tough to follow this year.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,442

Post#25 » by Canadafan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Soooo....anyone got any scoop on our assistant GM search? Seems quiet out there
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#26 » by BJK1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#27 » by flow » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:38 pm

Interesting press conference. I'm sure it'll be available for re-watch soon. Weaver said all the right things. Very thoughtful, measured, soft-spoken speaker. Got a bit "excited" on two occasions:
1. When asked about the draft, he said the player's makeup (work ethic, attitude, competitiveness) will be more important than his position of play or pure talent. See ya, Melo.
2. When asked about Gores, he really had high praise for him. And it was genuine. He was complimentary of Ed, Arn, Casey... but he was sold on taking the job after meeting with Gores.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#28 » by BJK1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Yeah, we can only hope that pure talent and player makeup intersect where they’re picking. You hate to pass on a superior talent for a less talented “try hard” guy. I get that it has to happen sometimes (character concerns, etc.), but you hope that’s the exception and not the rule. Ultimately talent trumps everything else.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by Canadafan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:45 am

Love this-“This isn’t a rebuild. This is a restoring.” Troy Weaver
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by Canadafan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:46 am

Troy Weaver on team needs this summer:
“We need big time competitors. That’s how we’re gonna move the needle. Before we look at a position or a skillset, we need guys who will compete at a high level.”

Music to my ears. Nothing I love more than guys that care and wanna kick your ass. Let's goooo!
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#31 » by Invictus88 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:10 am

Canadafan wrote:Love this-“This isn’t a rebuild. This is a restoring.” Troy Weaver

I hope 'restoring' means something like this: https://youtu.be/sDUjybh9A9M
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#32 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Canadafan wrote:Love this-“This isn’t a rebuild. This is a restoring.” Troy Weaver

I think that this is a telling statement of what SVG did to this team. Hopefully Eddie and Tommie can be hands off going forward.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#33 » by flow » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:30 pm

The most interesting thing about the press conference was Gores talking about the structure of the front office. Some questions we've had were answered.

* Stefanski isn't going anywhere soon. Though they're not using the title, he is Gores' president of basketball operations. Gores talked about how Stefanski's position is above that of GM, and that Ed agreed to also act as interim GM until they were ready to hire one.

* Tellem is basically Gores' right hand man in running the organization. Gores talked about a "divide & conquer" mentality for now in which Stefanski, Weaver & Casey collaborate day-to-day and bring in Gores & Tellem for the big decisions.

* That being said, this is Weaver's draft. He'll run the show. He was brought in at this time for that purpose. "Great talent evaluator" was uttered as often as word "Troy."

* A GM was not hired until now because of the cap problems. Either the team didn't want to saddle a new GM with no space to operate, or no potential GM candidates wanted anything to do with having no room to operate. However you want to spin it.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#34 » by 440BB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 pm

Realistically, if OKC had let Weaver talk to us two years ago, he may have looked at SVG's dumpster fire and decided to wait for a better opportunity. Ed cleaned things up pretty well. They got their man.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#35 » by tmorgan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 pm

I'm on board with Weaver. Fresh voice, solid record, even if he didn't have final decision-making authority. If we do things right and just accumulate assets while waiting for Blake to disappear, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sekou, though. That has me down. Looks like he slipped for a reason -- an attitude reason. Exactly the kind of guy Weaver is trying NOT to get.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by Canadafan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:08 am

Weavers 1st order of business is likely hiring his assistant. Billupssss
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#37 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:56 am

Canadafan wrote:Weavers 1st order of business is likely hiring his assistant. Billupssss
Probably prefer Tayshaun since he's actually worked in a FO since his playing days ended.

Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by Canadafan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Weavers 1st order of business is likely hiring his assistant. Billupssss
Probably prefer Tayshaun since he's actually worked in a FO since his playing days ended.

Who better for Chauncey to learn from though? The name excites me more than Tay. Never was a big fan of his. Billups to me would be like when Joe become our GM. Anyways I guess either or would be fine but hopefully CB gets off his high horse and learns to become a GM instead of thinking he cam just jump straight into being one. Every interview I've seen with him also has him being hardcore Piston so that's music to my ears as well lol
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#39 » by DCintheD » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:33 am

Canadafan wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Who better for Chauncey to learn from though? The name excites me more than Tay. Never was a big fan of his. Billups to me would be like when Joe become our GM. Anyways I guess either or would be fine but hopefully CB gets off his high horse and learns to become a GM instead of thinking he cam just jump straight into being one. Every interview I've seen with him also has him being hardcore Piston so that's music to my ears as well lol

I get the feeling Chauncey would rather be in front of the camera talking basketball rather than behind the scenes grinding daily in a front office. There’s nothing wrong with that, just what it looks like he prefers, for now at least. He’s good at it and seems to enjoys it. Pistons can use someone like him hyping them up in the media (assuming the hype is validated).
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#40 » by rmfc » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 pm

tmorgan wrote:I'm on board with Weaver. Fresh voice, solid record, even if he didn't have final decision-making authority. If we do things right and just accumulate assets while waiting for Blake to disappear, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sekou, though. That has me down. Looks like he slipped for a reason -- an attitude reason. Exactly the kind of guy Weaver is trying NOT to get.

Starting with Sekou, we need almost every top young prospect to work out positively in some shape of form. I really hope Sekou can get his head right and be focused. He has a lot of potential.

Return to Detroit Pistons