ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Would you prefer a regular season from Christmas to late June and playoffs late June to late August?

Yes, move season back
73%
No, leave as is
27%

Total votes: 41

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2301 » by Fo-Real » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
Mjee wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:I have COVID 19 tests positive last night!

Wonder who the 2 suns are that has it?

I hope you are feeling ok my man !!! Hang in there bro

I am feeling good thanks! There is a trend though!

Zeke Elliot
Kevin Durant
Tom Hanks
Gobert
Jokic
Mitchell
Me

All Alpha males out here !

Easy there Air Marshall Dinkley!!! :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,383

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2302 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:49 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
nevetsov wrote:
Yeah, you're spot on. I think this is why we usually cap them at 100 pages.

Lock 'em up, buttercup.

The formatting was messed by GoK's post #2285. If he deletes it, this will all clear up.

Better?? :D

Thanks man, Just seeing this, Not sure why it did that with the post though??? :dontknow: :-?

It happens when you use quotes and spoilers and instead of (spoiler) (quote) content (quote) (spoiler) you make a post that does something like (spoiler) (quote) content (spoiler) (quote)

If I see it happen I usually fix it but didn't see it. If this happens, someone can report the post too, and I will get to and fix.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,445

Post#2303 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:53 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
The formatting was messed by GoK's post #2285. If he deletes it, this will all clear up.

Better?? :D

Thanks man, Just seeing this, Not sure why it did that with the post though??? :dontknow: :-?

It happens when you use quotes and spoilers and instead of (spoiler) (quote) content (quote) (spoiler) you make a post that does something like (spoiler) (quote) content (spoiler) (quote)

If I see it happen I usually fix it but didn't see it. If this happens, someone can report the post too, and I will get to and fix.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2304 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:00 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y749ndog

A crazy trade idea, I know! And I hate the proposition of potentially losing Oubre. But in this scenario, We Turn Oubre and Jerome into:

- Frank Ntilikina.
He's a decent Veteran defensive guard, That can get streaky and is still a solid contributor for a 2nd- 3rd string guard throw in.

- Wayne Ellington.
He's a solid veteran 2 guard, That's hitting around 37% on his threes, and 83% from the line. Also plays decent defense.

- Jaden McDaniels.
He's got to get stronger, But he's 6'10, mobile, and a career 37% 3 pt shooter. And 82% from the line.
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4066731/jalen-mcdaniels

*** Both Nitkilina And Ellington expire in 2021, Giving us an additional 13 million in cap space too. And McDaniels is making under 1 million.

*** We still keep the 10th pick!
But now we also get back
:

- Charlottes' 8th overall pick.
- New York's 27th overall pick AND the Dallas unprotected 2021 First.

At the deadline, We can flip Nitkilina and Ellington (*Both expirings next season) to another team for a higher tier veteran???
But we now have :

8th pick-
*** Trade to Boston for Marcus Smart and the 17th pick.

10th pick-
Trade to Detroit for Luke Kennard.

17th pick.
Draft Jalen Smith or Paul Reed or Reggie Perry???

- 27th pick.
Draft Daniel Oturu or Vernon Carey **( Baynes replacement after (1 yr deal).

So post trade, We basically turned Oubre and Ty Jerome into:
Marcus Smart/ Luke Kennard/ Frank Ntilikina/ Wayne Ellington/ Jaden McDaniels. ** All veterans.

Then in free agency, I'd look to bring back Saric on the qualifying offer or Kaminsky on the team option perhaps. And then resign Baynes.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#2305 » by King4Day » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y749ndog

A crazy trade idea, I know! And I hate the proposition of potentially losing Oubre. But in this scenario, We Turn Oubre and Jerome into:

- Frank Ntilikina.
He's a decent Veteran defensive guard, That can get streaky and is still a solid contributor for a 2nd- 3rd string guard throw in.

- Wayne Ellington.
He's a solid veteran 2 guard, That's hitting around 37% on his threes, and 83% from the line. Also plays decent defense.

- Jaden McDaniels.
He's got to get stronger, But he's 6'10, mobile, and a career 37% 3 pt shooter. And 82% from the line.

*** Both Nitkilina And Ellington expire in 2021, Giving us an additional 13 million in cap space too. And McDaniels is making under 1 million.

But now we also get back
:

At the deadline, We can flip Nitkilina and Ellington (*Both expirings next season) to another team for a higher tier veteran???
But we now have :

8th pick-

10th pick-

17th pick.

- 27th pick.

Marcus Smart/ Luke Kennard/ Frank Ntilikina/ Wayne Ellington/ Jaden McDaniels. ** All veterans.

Then in free agency, I'd look to bring back Saric on the qualifying offer or Kaminsky on the team option perhaps. And then resign Baynes.

It might be because I live in the area and am a Charlotte defender but I just don't see the Hornets moving all of their young assets to bring in Randle and Jonas. Those 2 players are role players you bring in to help try to put a team over the top (similar to the Marc Gasol to Toronto deal last season).
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2306 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:38 pm

King4Day wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y749ndog

- Frank Ntilikina.

- Wayne Ellington.

- Jaden McDaniels.

But now we also get back
:

But we now have :

8th pick-

10th pick-

17th pick.

- 27th pick.

It might be because I live in the area and am a Charlotte defender but I just don't see the Hornets moving all of their young assets to bring in Randle and Jonas. Those 2 players are role players you bring in to help try to put a team over the top (similar to the Marc Gasol to Toronto deal last season).

Yeah! You're might be right of course. :nod:

But Again, My thinking on this was, To help them address their frontcourt issues, Seeing as how they are set to lose Biyombo to free agency and Marvin Williams. And that Washington despite his versatility and potential is still only 6'7?? And both of the frontcourt players I'm proposing, are averaging close to a double/double, With Randle putting up 19/9. And Valuncias putting up 14/1. So I don't know that I would label them as role players considering their current production honestly. I see them as adding a more competitive dynamic to Charlottes' frontcourt, And that would hopefully send a stronger message to the rest of the league that they intend to actually compete. And that would thusly offer them a more attractive pitch to potential free agents than what they currently have to sell a player on?? :dontknow: Also, I'm not sure who they could draft at #8 ( in a widely percieved mediocre draft) or attract in free agency that would give them that level of production, much less a combined output of around 35 points and 20 rebounds!

Also contractually, They would not be tying up Charlottes' long term cap space, As they both become tradable large expiring contracts in 2021. Of course we may disagree on the best course of action for Charlotte to take, I just figured it would be better to actually compete and take a more progressive and faster approach to relevance by adding two highly productive veterans to their seemingly anemic frontcourt. However, IF the Hornets feel that they're better served waiting on their rookie pool to develop further, And to continue a further rebuild, then to each their own. And I wish them the best of luck! But just so we get on the same page, And I'm not confused or potentially further disillusioned, What do you personally ( with admittedly closer/ more accurate perspective than I) seeingbas you live there, See as their best course of improvement? Just curious man, As I respect your input on this. :dontknow:
:thumbsup:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2307 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Who might be interested in participating in a zoom call with James Jones and Monty Williams??? :D could be quite cool! :wink:
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#2308 » by Saberestar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#2309 » by Frank Lee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:02 am

I get the entertainment value of trading Oubre, but comes a time where you just don't let go of legit ballers. You cant get enough of them. I like the thought of Bridges, Johnson and OOB getting 25-30 minutes a night at SF and PF. All we need is a 'real' PF for 20-25 minutes to compliment that trio. Don't know if Saric is that guy, but I'd think we have a promising opportunity for a young PF FA we can get on a reasonable deal, locked in for 2-3 years. Its their starting slot to earn. Johnson and Bridges will willingly defer to the bench, but still get their minutes. And If Oubre continues his promising play, then pay the dude. If it doesn't look like he is going to stay, deal him during the season. Again, I think the strength of this team is continuity and keeping the top 6 guys, and bolstering the bench with Carter and Baynes, we send a positive signal to both the players and the fan base. Realistically, we could see the same 8-9 guys for the next 2-3 years. Everyone finds their place and buys in. The talent is there for the keeping.

draft a PG, keep Baynes and Carter, sign a PF.
What ? Me Worry ?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,690

Post#2310 » by basketballRob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 am

Aaron Gordon, Birch, our 1st for Oubre, Baynes, and your 1st.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#2311 » by nevetsov » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:13 am

basketballRob wrote:Aaron Gordon, Birch, our 1st for Oubre, Baynes, and your 1st.

Oubre = Gordon (arguably)
Baynes >> Birch
Suns 1st > Magic 1st

No thanks.
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,132

Post#2312 » by starbosa10 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:45 pm

nevetsov wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Aaron Gordon, Birch, our 1st for Oubre, Baynes, and your 1st.

Baynes >> Birch
Suns 1st > Magic 1st

No thanks.

Also isn't Baynes going to be a FA?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#2313 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:47 pm

starbosa10 wrote:
nevetsov wrote:

Baynes >> Birch
Suns 1st > Magic 1st

No thanks.

Yeah, Baynes can't be included in any trades. I also don't think the draft picks should be involved. If the teams want to exchange Oubre and Gordon, just let it be those two. To date, Oubre's been the better player, though Aaron's shown flashes of having more to his game. My issue with a straight up trade (if we're just talking about the players) is the steal and block numbers, where Oubre's way ahead.

But the real issue is the contracts. Oubre wants an extension, but in this environment, what will be able to get? Aaron's already locked up on a big ol' contract - is he worth the money, especially in this new environment? Sure, we could lose Oubre for nothing, but then, presumably, we'd have the financial room to make something happen. Would Orlando be just as happy pushing Gordon's contract to the curb as they'd be re-signing Oubre to a big extension? I think it's at least plausible. Plus, we exchange Oubre for Gordon and we're immediately out more cap space this summer. We have enough holes in our roster to fill, so I prefer to keep that FA cash, maybe even try to get more of it.

I don't see what else ORL has to offer and no reason at all to exchange the #10 for the #15. Truly, I see no reasonable deal that can be made between our franchises.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#2314 » by Frank Lee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 pm

The upcoming season is going to hinge upon the league's ability to execute the 'Bubble-offs'. If they cant control the No-Covid zone, then we may be at the mercy of this bug, till there is a vaccine. Imagine in the midst of these games, a couple key players test positive... then what? This bubble has to be impenetrable, enforced, and lasting for 1 month minimum. Compounding the challenge is the rampant run of C19 in Florida. (or is it C18?...IDK, have to ask the t-Rump :roll: )

Project these factors onto the upcoming season. There is good reason they want to wait till December, as it seems that is the earliest a vaccine will be available. Its hard to see how games will be played in front of live crowds anyway. So we will be left with the 'sterile' for-TV-only games. The playoffs, if they actually happen, are the trial run. Id say its 50/50 at best and Im not too sure we will see forthright admissions if key players test +, but show no symptoms. Imagine the TV/League execs contemplating the loss of LeBron, Giannas, Zion right before a biggie. Would they sit them ? Quarantine for what would amount to the remainder of the games? What does the CBA say about it?

There is a lot riding on this, and as it is with reality, if you do not have complete compliance by all parties involved, this little bastard bug is bound to show up. For next year, I'd imagine they will have to have regional 'NBA' villages where teams are sequestered off like in Orlando. Cant see how they would accommodate the rigorous travel and individual arena preparations needed for a normal season.

Again, I doubt the ability to pull it off, but it is a necessary 'practice' run, since the near certain likelihood Covid rolls on into the next yr. :sigh: I get the feeling they and a lot of other sports are relying on a Vaccine. Who knows, at this pace, may be the herd mentality method wins out.
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,383

Post#2315 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:05 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
starbosa10 wrote:
nevetsov wrote:
Baynes >> Birch
Suns 1st > Magic 1st

No thanks.

Yeah, Baynes can't be included in any trades. I also don't think the draft picks should be involved. If the teams want to exchange Oubre and Gordon, just let it be those two. To date, Oubre's been the better player, though Aaron's shown flashes of having more to his game. My issue with a straight up trade (if we're just talking about the players) is the steal and block numbers, where Oubre's way ahead.

But the real issue is the contracts. Oubre wants an extension, but in this environment, what will be able to get? Aaron's already locked up on a big ol' contract - is he worth the money, especially in this new environment? Sure, we could lose Oubre for nothing, but then, presumably, we'd have the financial room to make something happen. Would Orlando be just as happy pushing Gordon's contract to the curb as they'd be re-signing Oubre to a big extension? I think it's at least plausible. Plus, we exchange Oubre for Gordon and we're immediately out more cap space this summer. We have enough holes in our roster to fill, so I prefer to keep that FA cash, maybe even try to get more of it.

I don't see what else ORL has to offer and no reason at all to exchange the #10 for the #15. Truly, I see no reasonable deal that can be made between our franchises.

Well, Oubre was the better player this past year, but Gordon has had the better overall career so far, and even as recently as the year before this last (current) one, Gordon was better.....triple the assists, substantially more rebounds, better from 3, a lot better defender...

http://bkref.com/tiny/rQfx4

The question is, the last (current) year...is it a trend or an anomoly? While I think Oubre will stay where he was or perhaps get better if the injury doesn't hurt him, I also think Gordon could bounce back, and I do feel that he will do a lot better with a change of scenery.

I do like the idea of a great passing PF with our primary scorers in Ayton and Booker, as well as having another Amare-type finisher for Rubio and Booker to utilize.

However, Oubre's intangibles and energy for this team are nice and infectious.

I just always have a harder time embracing "me" players who are more about themselves and getting their stats...guys who don't set up others.

Now you mention contracts. Gordon's a FA the year after Oubre, so I don't know if I'd call it a big ol contract. He will have 2 years at a total of $34.5 million left starting in 2020.

I am not saying I'd definitely do the trade, and their are pluses and minuses to both players. I wouldn't really want to pay Oubre more than the average per year that Gordon is making the next couple of years.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#2316 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:34 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
starbosa10 wrote:Also isn't Baynes going to be a FA?

Well, Oubre was the better player this past year, but Gordon has had the better overall career so far, and even as recently as the year before this last (current) one, Gordon was better.....triple the assists, substantially more rebounds, better from 3, a lot better defender...

The question is, the last (current) year...is it a trend or an anomoly? While I think Oubre will stay where he was or perhaps get better if the injury doesn't hurt him, I also think Gordon could bounce back, and I do feel that he will do a lot better with a change of scenery.

I do like the idea of a great passing PF with our primary scorers in Ayton and Booker, as well as having another Amare-type finisher for Rubio and Booker to utilize.

I just always have a harder time embracing "me" players who are more about themselves and getting their stats...guys who don't set up others.

Now you mention contracts. Gordon's a FA the year after Oubre, so I don't know if I'd call it a big ol contract. He will have 2 years at a total of $34.5 million left starting in 2020.

I am not saying I'd definitely do the trade, and their are pluses and minuses to both players. I wouldn't really want to pay Oubre more than the average per year that Gordon is making the next couple of years.

You win this round, bw. Thanks for correcting my vision on all fronts. For some reason I was under the delusion that AG had two more years left on his contract. My bad. I guess I'd vote yes to a straight up Oubre-for-Gordon trade.

If on draft day ORL says okay to that trade, but only if we also exchange the #10 and the #15, I'd consider it, depending on what draftees/other offers are available. A lot of players I like should still be available around #15, while the players I *really* like *should be gone* when we make our selection at #10. Still, some mocks have Devin Vassell falling to #10, which is nuts.

Of course, we could have the #1 pick and a championship come draft night, so...... guess we'll just have to pick this thread up later.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#2317 » by Saberestar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Justin Anderson is receiving interest from multiple teams ahead of the NBA's restart.

He makes sense for us as a wing replacement for Oubre. I would bet that we are one of those teams interested in him.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2318 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:46 pm

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Sorry, But We'll pass on this one. Oubre for Gordon is about equal value. Oubre offers offensive versatility, And Gordon offers defensive versatility. Two similar players, But with opposing complimentary skillsets. However, Birch unfortunately would be a massive downgrade for us from Baynes. And then we are moving back 6 spots in the draft to downgrade from Baynes, and trade similar value players in an offense for defense swap? Also with no additional assets or incentive coming back? Just doesn't seem all that palatable honestly man.

If we do in fact decide that we will move Oubre, Then maybe something along these lines?

1- Phoenix/ Orlando/ Boston-
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8uoyxwy
Phoenix also swaps the 10th pick for the 17th and 26th picks.
17- Saddiq Bey or Jalen Smith.
26- Daniel Oturu or Vernon Carey.

2- Phoenix/ Minnesota/ Orlando-
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yatn2etl
*** Phoenix gets back Omari Spellman/ James Johnson/ 16th/ 33rd picks

3- Phoenix/ Orlando/ Chicago-
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9m3epsr
***Phoenix sends the 10th pick to Orlando. And Orlando sends their 15th pick to Chicago.

*** 4- [bPhoenix/Orlando/Philly/NewYork
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7lf77ng
[/b]********( awesome trade value wise across the board)****.

Orlando gets-
Tobias Harris/ Wayne Ellington. Tobias will be an amazing offensive compliment to Isaac's defense. And Ellington gives them a 40% 3pt shooter on a cheaper/ shorter contract.

Philly gets-
Massive cap savings from moving BOTH Horford and Harris. They also get Aaron Gordon, for a more athletic defensive fit next to Embiid. And additional solid perimeter shooting in Ross. And a solid backup 4/5 in Gibson. But above all, This gives them HUGE cap savings. ***( They can perhaps trade Gordon for to Charlotte for Rozier around the deadline too). And will have the money to now pursue a Gallinari or Whoever?

New York gets-
Al Horford *( A big name versatile defensive 3 and D 4) at a position of need. And they also get Oubre, Who is a perfect fit for the big bright lights and flashiness of New York! They can use their top 6 pick on a great point guard, and now they easily have a really competitive playoff level team in the East!

Phoenix gets-
Phoenix does give up a core piece in Oubre, But gets back:
- Julius Randle. A productive starting level 4 that's averaging close to a double/double. And is on an expiring contract, So he won't affect our long term plans.
- James Ennis. A veteran 2/3 Who is a versatile, pesky, lockdown defender with good size at 6'6 and who is shooting close to 36% from three, And is on a minimal expiring contract.
- New York's UNPROTECTED Dallas 2021 first round pick.
10- Draft Kira Lewis or Grant Riller or Cole Anthony.
22- Draft Tyler Bey or Paul Reed or Jalen Smith.

5- Phoenix/ Orlando/ Washington-
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd73d22o .
***Phoenix gets- Washingtons' 37th pick.
37- Draft Reggie Perry (** Bam Adebayo 2.0).
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2319 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:09 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

You win this round, bw. Thanks for correcting my vision on all fronts. For some reason I was under the delusion that AG had two more years left on his contract. My bad. I guess I'd vote yes to a straight up Oubre-for-Gordon trade.

If on draft day ORL says okay to that trade, but only if we also exchange the #10 and the #15, I'd consider it, depending on what draftees/other offers are available. A lot of players I like should still be available around #15, while the players I *really* like *should be gone* when we make our selection at #10. Still, some mocks have Devin Vassell falling to #10, which is nuts.

Of course, we could have the #1 pick and a championship come draft night, so...... guess we'll just have to pick this thread up later.

I would be amenable to trading Oubre for Gordon pretty much straight up. But under no circumstances would I at all include a pick swap and move back 5 spots to do it, Unless some other assets where coming back to us. Maybe I might consider:

Oubre/ Jerome +10th pick FOR Gordon/ Ennis 3rd/ 15th AND the 45th pick too.
Then at 15, I'd take Kira Lewis or Grant Riller. And at 45, I'd take Elijah Hughes or Jordan Nwora. I'd prefer to just trade Oubre for Gordon/ Ennis 3rd straight up IF it comes down to it honestly. Keep the 10th pick, And draft Devin Vassell or Aaron Nesmith. Then purchase a late first/ early 2nd for either Riller (* IF he's there) or for Tyrell Terry or Malachi Flynn. :dontknow:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#2320 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Trier might be worth claiming and giving a look.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns