?s=20
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Re: Woj- Pistons hire Troy Weaver as new GM 

Post#42 » by NotACat » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Weaver's first hire is David Mincberg to be assistant GM. Was previously the VP of Basketball Strategy for the Bucks
Black Lives Matter
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#44 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:50 am

NotACat wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Weaver's first hire is David Mincberg to be assistant GM. Was previously the VP of Basketball Strategy for the Bucks

Havent the Bucks made huge blunders the last two seasons? Or is that on some other part of management?

Malcolm Brogdan last season and the failed sign and trade this year.

Bucks management has let Giannis down pretty badly with those two issues. Did Mincberg have a hand in either of those?
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#45 » by Pharaoh » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 am

LMAO!

So in Weaver's case he gets zero credit for his time in OKC and their success.

But Mincberg can take the blame for the Bucks choosing Bledsoe over Brogdon & loose lips sinking the Bogdan S&T?

Noted!

edmunder_prc wrote:
NotACat wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Havent the Bucks made huge blunders the last two seasons? Or is that on some other part of management?

Bucks management has let Giannis down pretty badly with those two issues. Did Mincberg have a hand in either of those?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#46 » by BJK1 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:25 am

Mincberg was hired by Detroit in July. The Bogdan S&T debacle happened in November. How exactly could he have been involved with that one?
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:43 am

BJK1 wrote:Mincberg was hired by Detroit in July. The Bogdan S&T debacle happened in November. How exactly could he have been involved with that one?

I thought the hire was recent, didnt realize that post was months ago. The choosing Bledsoe over Brogdan was a poor one.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:46 am

Pharaoh wrote:LMAO!

But Mincberg can take the blame for the Bucks choosing Bledsoe over Brogdon & loose lips sinking the Bogdan S&T?

Noted!

edmunder_prc wrote:
NotACat wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm willing to give Weaver praise when he deserves it. Are you completely unwilling to handle any criticism of Weaver?

Any mention of Weaver making a bad choice is LMAO! OMG worthy? Calm down. I'm the guy who started the 'Only Positives' thread when the board lost their mind after Free Agency - which was a disaster.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#49 » by Invictus88 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:23 am

edmunder_prc wrote:

Noted!

edmunder_prc wrote:

I'm willing to give Weaver praise when he deserves it. Are you completely unwilling to handle any criticism of Weaver?

Yes.

There's plenty of posts repeatedly showing this. You're far better off just disregarding the posts.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#50 » by Pharaoh » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:09 am

That's a lie.

I'm on record stating I would have kept Dedmon over signing Plumlee and kept Smith over signing Ellington.

The Grant signing? I never considered him a target at all, especially after the Draft.

We had Sekou, Svi & Bey that could all log minutes at the 3 so why would I even consider Grant?

What I don't like is negativity for the sake of it.

Many are on record complaining about every single move we made...then the games began and there's been more positivity about certain moves since.

Don't like me supporting the direction Weaver has taken, reserving certain judgements until some time has passed? That's on you.

This knee jerk, hot take, negativity at all times stuff isn't me and I'll post against it when I choose.

People are in record claiming that Weaver shouldn't get credit for what OKC did while he was there...

But someone wants to blame Mincberg for the Bucks losing Brogdan!

Can't have it both ways is what I was pointing out but continue on

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#51 » by Pharaoh » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:10 am

edmunder_prc wrote:

Noted!

edmunder_prc wrote:

Any mention of Weaver making a bad choice is LMAO! OMG worthy? Calm down. I'm the guy who started the 'Only Positives' thread when the board lost their mind after Free Agency - which was a disaster.
I wouldn't call it a disaster considering Ellington & McGruder have hardly played, Jackson looks good, Okafor will get a chance and the guys we lost are unlikely to amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

Grant and Plumlee? Jury remains out on both those guys.

edmunder_prc wrote:

Noted!

edmunder_prc wrote:

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:12 pm

Time to bump the Weaver thread because its getting to be make or break time.

1) What does he do with pick #5. Cade was obvious, no way to screw that up.

Hayes, Bey and Stewart all have their warts along with positives, but none are difference makers on an ECF team. None are top 3 players on a really strong team, right now. They have some growth in them for sure (Stewart if he could hit a corner 3 at 35% would be really interesting since he can switch and guard most positions).

2) What does he do with Grant.

Two scenarios: Either he gets a good deal and is traded. Or if no one wants him then doesnt that mean his value is low and Grant should sign another $20 million a year deal? Grant cant have it both ways right? He wants to get locked up long term before he plays this upcoming season. If no one will trade for him and give him a deal, then that means he doesnt have real value.

This is an interesting situation.

3) Upcoming Hayes, Bey, Stewart, Diallo contracts. Who gets traded, who gets a deal, what kind of deals.

None of these guys are max guys, not even close. So all will require strong negotiation with agents about their value. I actually liked what Weaver did with Diallo and Frank Jackson. Both were lowballed but came back to the Pistons. F.Jackson was mostly injured but Diallo can play.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#53 » by zeebneeb » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:15 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Time to bump the Weaver thread because its getting to be make or break time.

Hayes, Bey and Stewart all have their warts along with positives, but none are difference makers on an ECF team. None are top 3 players on a really strong team, right now. They have some growth in them for sure (Stewart if he could hit a corner 3 at 35% would be really interesting since he can switch and guard most positions).

Two scenarios: Either he gets a good deal and is traded. Or if no one wants him then doesnt that mean his value is low and Grant should sign another $20 million a year deal? Grant cant have it both ways right? He wants to get locked up long term before he plays this upcoming season. If no one will trade for him and give him a deal, then that means he doesnt have real value.

3) Upcoming Hayes, Bey, Stewart, Diallo contracts. Who gets traded, who gets a deal, what kind of deals.

None of these guys are max guys, not even close. So all will require strong negotiation with agents about their value. I actually liked what Weaver did with Diallo and Frank Jackson. Both were lowballed but came back to the Pistons. F.Jackson was mostly injured but Diallo can play.
This is Weavers biggest offseason of his career so far. He has some big decisions to make, concerning Cades next few rookie years.

Let's just hope the next two, are as good as the last two.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#54 » by treefi » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:35 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Time to bump the Weaver thread because its getting to be make or break time.

Yeah, it's about to get real.

1) Hitting on #5 is huge this year. IMO Hayes wouldn't be anywhere near the rotation on an ECF team. Bey would be solid off the bench with starter potential if he ever improves on his shooting efficiency. But it's Stewart that would be most valuable to an ECF right now. And depending on the strengths & weaknesses of the team's other four starters, I could even see Stewart starting due to his ability to switch and guard nearly every position. Usually I rank Bey ahead of Stewart in Detroit's core, but I'm starting to rethink that...

2) I'm all for trading Grant if we can get a top 20 pick or a high potential young player. However I'd rather keep him another year (still try to trade before 2023 deadline) and simply not resign him instead of trading him for less than top 20 or a high potential young player.

3) Bey and Stewart's contract deals are heavily dependent on what they do this year, imo... We got great value from Diallo's contract last year so I hope they try to find space for him again in the rotation if possible. I could see another team wanting to trade for him, potentially with Grant (both expiring contracts), if he plays as well or better than he did the last two years.

Can't wait for this offseason to truly get started next week! :nod:
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#55 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:08 am

treefi wrote:

Yeah, it's about to get real.

1) Hitting on #5 is huge this year. IMO Hayes wouldn't be anywhere near the rotation on an ECF team. Bey would be solid off the bench with starter potential if he ever improves on his shooting efficiency. But it's Stewart that would be most valuable to an ECF right now. And depending on the strengths & weaknesses of the team's other four starters, I could even see Stewart starting due to his ability to switch and guard nearly every position. Usually I rank Bey ahead of Stewart in Detroit's core, but I'm starting to rethink that...

2) I'm all for trading Grant if we can get a top 20 pick or a high potential young player. However I'd rather keep him another year (still try to trade before 2023 deadline) and simply not resign him instead of trading him for less than top 20 or a high potential young player.

3) Bey and Stewart's contract deals are heavily dependent on what they do this year, imo... We got great value from Diallo's contract last year so I hope they try to find space for him again in the rotation if possible. I could see another team wanting to trade for him, potentially with Grant (both expiring contracts), if he plays as well or better than he did the last two years.

Can't wait for this offseason to truly get started next week! :nod:
You say Hayes wouldn't be anywhere near the rotation on an ECF team like Gary Payton III and Payton Pritchard didn't just log rotation minutes for teams in the actual Finals. Pfffft.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#56 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:30 am

1 - At 5 I think we might actually be looking at Sharpe since there's way less focus on him compared to Ivey & Murray.

Not sure that's a good thing but the people making the decision get paid to do the work while I just watch YouTube clips.

I'm still high on Daniels so I'm hoping we trade down a little and get a additional asset.

2 - I doubt the FO gets what they would consider a "good" offer for Grant so he likely stays on the roster, might even get a extension.

He's not "too" old where he wouldn't be a important cog in the next good Piston team but I'd like to see him move the ball better before committing to him.

3 - Isn't Diallo the only dude that expires next off-season? The other 3 all have a additional year before hitting RFA don't they?

Depending on price I can see us bringing Diallo back as he could be a reasonable rotation player on a good team in the right system. He obviously has areas he needs to improve though

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#57 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:22 pm

My worry about both Haimi and Frank Jackson is that, barring trades, the roster goes 10 deep without either of them.

Grant, Stew, Bey, Cade, #5, Bagley, Hayes, Cojo, Livers, Kelly O

Won't be shocked if we don't pick up the option on either of them as a result. But, of course, "barring trades" is significant. Then again, this is also without signing any outside free agents (I have Bagley as a lock to come back if we don't trade for Ayton, and no way Cojo doesn't take his player option).
JLiv
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,040

Post#58 » by JLiv » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:53 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:My worry about both Haimi and Frank Jackson is that, barring trades, the roster goes 10 deep without either of them.

Won't be shocked if we don't pick up the option on either of them as a result. But, of course, "barring trades" is significant. Then again, this is also without signing any outside free agents (I have Bagley as a lock to come back if we don't trade for Ayton, and no way Cojo doesn't take his player option).

Hami’s still an intriguing prospect to me. A 23 year old big guard shooting > 49% from the field who’s a jumper away from being a MIP candidate. Also has good defensive potential. He’s lacking on the playmaking end but I think you clearly prioritize him over Cory Joseph and probably Olynyk. Frank Jackson is the odd man out in my opinion
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#59 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:58 pm

JLiv wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:My worry about both Haimi and Frank Jackson is that, barring trades, the roster goes 10 deep without either of them.

Hami’s still an intriguing prospect to me. A 23 year old big guard shooting > 49% from the field who’s a jumper away from being a MIP candidate. Also has good defensive potential. He’s lacking on the playmaking end but I think you clearly prioritize him over Cory Joseph and probably Olynyk. Frank Jackson is the odd man out in my opinion

The thing with Cojo and Kelly O is they're on the roster regardless unless we trade them. I really like Haimi and found him to be maybe the most entertaining Piston last year. But he tends to be a bit boom or bust. His lack of shooting and his erratic game make him an awkward fit in a half court offense (obviously he's great in transition) and on defense he tends to make great highlight plays, but he also gambles a lot to do it, making his defense less reliable.

But, yeah, if he got a reliable jumper and was able to play within the systems a bit more, you can't teach his athleticism and playmaking.

Return to Detroit Pistons