Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Re: Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando 

Post#861 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:04 am

Bakomagic wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Welp.

Wouldn't it be better for the NBA bubble if Disney World was not open to the public ?

Maybe they should use staff to work the bubble one week on (without leaving) and two weeks off and then rotate them. then they can better mitigate the spread of Covid in the bubble.

Oh, I totally agree as far as what they should do with the employees in the bubble. My "welp" was more a comment on how bad it is in Florida right now that the employees don't even want to come back to work yet.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#862 » by ballup » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:05 am

basketballRob wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If they have a huge fall wave, it could wash right through the country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

The fall wave isn’t something that happens by chance. It happens because of the incompetence of the government/individuals.

We see the liberal states taking serious measures to prevent further outbreaks and the conservative states will follow suit after they see their hospitals overwhelmed this summer.
It's going to eventually infect 60-70% it doesn't matter what their political affiliation is.

That 70% would more likely be the mismanaged states. The sheer density might overwhelm NYC, but they've done one of the best jobs at reducing infection rates. Pretty much the northeast and a few of the midwest states will be much better off than the rest of the US.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
SupaManu
Junior
And1: 986

Post#863 » by SupaManu » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:12 am

I’m sorry this one hits close to home for me. Liberal governors in New York have handled this terribly, my fiancé’s family is still in NY and unfortunately her grandmother was one of these nursing home deaths. She and her family have been given very few answers, this was an absolute disaster and cuomo is directly responsible. Sorry for the rant this one still hurts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/06/24/gov-cuomo-cant-dodge-accountability-for-nursing-home-deaths-forever/amp/
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#864 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:28 am

basketballRob wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If they have a huge fall wave, it could wash right through the country.

The fall wave isn’t something that happens by chance. It happens because of the incompetence of the government/individuals.

We see the liberal states taking serious measures to prevent further outbreaks and the conservative states will follow suit after they see their hospitals overwhelmed this summer.
It's going to eventually infect 60-70% it doesn't matter what their political affiliation is.

Like I said before, it won’t infect that many if we follow the lead of the liberal states and use data based opening procedures as we wait for a vaccine to be developed.
zshawn10
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,354

Post#865 » by zshawn10 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:10 pm

Read on Twitter
deircr3
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#866 » by deircr3 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Florida announced a record of almost 9,000 positive cases today. Bars are closing again starting today. Restaurant will go to 25% capacity if we get kore of those numbers in 5 straight days.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,869

Post#867 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm

deircr3 wrote:Florida announced a record of almost 9,000 positive cases today. Bars are closing again starting today. Restaurant will go to 25% capacity if we get kore of those numbers in 5 straight days.

Wow
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#868 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:54 pm

zshawn10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

To make this tweets makes sense but there is too much money to be lost if the season does not continue which in reality is the NBA's biggest concern right now.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,686

Post#869 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:07 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:To make this tweets makes sense but there is too much money to be lost if the season does not continue which in reality is the NBA's biggest concern right now.

If the only thing the NBA cared about was short-term money they wouldn't have stopped playing. Clearly even if you think their motives are only money-driven, the correct play is to not take unnecessary risks. This is a long game for these owners and they understand that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#870 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:25 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
deircr3 wrote:Florida announced a record of almost 9,000 positive cases today. Bars are closing again starting today. Restaurant will go to 25% capacity if we get kore of those numbers in 5 straight days.

Wow

As many epidemiologists predicted, 3 weeks after Memorial Day there would be a huge surge in positives and %positives, 5 weeks after a surge in hospitalizations and deaths. First prediction was dead on the money. The optics of NBA going to freaking FLA during an ugly turn in the pandemic is going to be interesting. I think we're going to see players dropping out left and right, whether out of concern for their own health or their families, (who may just live in Texas, Arizona and other surging states). The reality is the pandemic is going to surpass the previous peaks in the next month, with all that that means.

Edit: and oh, yeah, 16 of 302 NBA players just tested are positive. Still several weeks before teams enter the bubble...corona virus incoming to the bubble, no way to avoid it.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#871 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:26 pm

16 out of 302 isn’t that bad. That’s around 5 percent if my math is correct.

The one concern I do have is that the hospitals in the Orlando area may become overwhelmed and that nba personnel won’t be able to get proper medical attention if needed
notaname
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#872 » by notaname » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Five day wait? Should be immediate.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#873 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:06 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:16 out of 302 isn’t that bad. That’s around 5 percent if my math is correct.

The one concern I do have is that the hospitals in the Orlando area may become overwhelmed and that nba personnel won’t be able to get proper medical attention if needed

I have opposite view. 5% positive is scary number, given these guys have already returned to their markets and facilities. With the incubation period up to 2 weeks, who knows how many other players and "essential staff" were exposed? The players should have already been in their own bubbles for the last several weeks. If they had, they wouldn't have an infection rate similar to people running around, eating in restaurants and going to bars without masks in high risk areas.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
zshawn10
Assistant Coach

Post#874 » by zshawn10 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#875 » by SK21209 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:43 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
That’s in the absence of a vaccine sometime in 2021. Things are looking very promising on that front.
If they have a huge fall wave, it could wash right through the country.

Except California had one of the earliest and most restrictive lockdowns but is still surging right now just like Texas and Florida. Cuomo saying the conservative governors "gambled and lost" is pretty rich considering Florida has just as many people as New York and 1/10th of the deaths.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#876 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:48 pm

I'm curious how many owners secretly don't want the season to resume. Ya, they take a massive hit this year, but they would be in such a better spot for themselves going forward with a new CBA.
gei
Sixth Man
And1: 394

Post#877 » by gei » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:04 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:16 out of 302 isn’t that bad. That’s around 5 percent if my math is correct.

Not to mention the players that already had it.

Don't forget that preliminary antibody testing shows that anywhere from 50x-80x more people than have tested positive likely have it. So there's a strong chance that way more players had it and got over it. Antibody testing on the players would help confirm that.

This good news, since it makes it much less likely they can get it again. The virus itself is no real danger to the players.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#878 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 pm

SK21209 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Except California had one of the earliest and most restrictive lockdowns but is still surging right now just like Texas and Florida. Cuomo saying the conservative governors "gambled and lost" is pretty rich considering Florida has just as many people as New York and 1/10th of the deaths.

California is by no means surging like florida and arizona. Yes the cases are increasing but it’s no where close to the rate in those red states. I recommend you look at the rate of positive cases and hospitalizations before making the insulting claim that California is “just like Texas and Florida.“

NY was blindsided because of the high influx in their international airports and the density in NYC during a time where the was no federal guidance, no testing or travel restrictions. I recommend reading my past posts in this thread if you wish to educate yourself on the difference between NY’s situation in March and Florida’s situation now, almost 4 months later.

The reality is that NBA players are entering into an extremely porous bubble in one of the most infectious places in the world.
zshawn10
Assistant Coach

Post#879 » by zshawn10 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#880 » by asdfgh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:34 pm

I am pessimistic about the NBA coming back at this point. It looks like the Europeans will be able to complete their football leagues. They have done a much better job than the U.S. dealing with the virus.

Return to The General Board