Deni Avdija - 2020 draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,897

Re: Deni Avdija - 2020 draft 

Post#281 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Yeah hes not a good enough shooter imo to be a higher ceiling than Osman who also isnt. Deni right now does project to be a similar role player and that position is coveted but not high lottery worthy imo

I have Osman as his floor, I expect him to be much better. He is doing things at 19 that Cedi wasnt showing at 23. Cedi is also more of a tweener forward and I think Deni is a pure SF.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#282 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:16 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Yeah hes not a good enough shooter imo to be a higher ceiling than Osman who also isnt. Deni right now does project to be a similar role player and that position is coveted but not high lottery worthy imo

I have Osman as his floor, I expect him to be much better. He is doing things at 19 that Cedi wasnt showing at 23. Cedi is also more of a tweener forward and I think Deni is a pure SF.

Yeah I am not seeing much difference in the players ceilings at all other than Osman has not improved much since being drafted ...he is who he was and at 31st overall was a deal. Sometimes CLE has tried to use him at the 4 and it doesn't work out so well. Deni isnt far behind him overall ,maybe in some respects better at some things, but imo I do not expect Deni to become much better than Deni of today 5 years from now. The shot is ugly and I think his athleticism isnt good enough to guard NBA 3's and really should add mass and move to pf. He should be a decent hustle defender and high iq point forward long term but like Osman one that isn't a reliable shooter and probably never will be.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#283 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:53 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I think you could even make the case that Avdija's floor is higher than Osman's due to defense, passing and superior athleticism.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#284 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:11 am

Stillwater wrote:
Fischella wrote:Deni is already better than Osman lol

prove it

Osman has been a role player on every team he has played for. Avdija is way more talented.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#285 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 am

getrichordie wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

I think you could even make the case that Avdija's floor is higher than Osman's due to defense, passing and superior athleticism.

Osman is an exceptional passer and defender and to suggest Avdija is more athletic makes me curious if you've seen either play extensively.
Neither are more than smooth athlete types . Deni is not as quick laterally as Cedi Osman and should be a lesser versatile defender in the nba.
I can see him being picked late lottery because the upside as a point forward, im just not sold he will improve much overall to justify it higher than say 12th or after
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#286 » by CoreyVillains » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Stillwater wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Yeah I am not seeing much difference in the players ceilings at all other than Osman has not improved much since being drafted ...he is who he was and at 31st overall was a deal. Sometimes CLE has tried to use him at the 4 and it doesn't work out so well. Deni isnt far behind him overall ,maybe in some respects better at some things, but imo I do not expect Deni to become much better than Deni of today 5 years from now. The shot is ugly and I think his athleticism isnt good enough to guard NBA 3's and really should add mass and move to pf. He should be a decent hustle defender and high iq point forward long term but like Osman one that isn't a reliable shooter and probably never will be.

Idk the form looks good to me

Read on Twitter
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#287 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:05 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Read on Twitter

the results are still less than pretty and certainly not reliably good
he is not a natural movement jump shooter at all imo. standing in place is better but still hitched
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#288 » by CoreyVillains » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Stillwater wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yeah I am not seeing much difference in the players ceilings at all other than Osman has not improved much since being drafted ...he is who he was and at 31st overall was a deal. Sometimes CLE has tried to use him at the 4 and it doesn't work out so well. Deni isnt far behind him overall ,maybe in some respects better at some things, but imo I do not expect Deni to become much better than Deni of today 5 years from now. The shot is ugly and I think his athleticism isnt good enough to guard NBA 3's and really should add mass and move to pf. He should be a decent hustle defender and high iq point forward long term but like Osman one that isn't a reliable shooter and probably never will be.

Read on Twitter

he is not a natural movement jump shooter at all imo. standing in place is better but still hitched

I agree he’s a much better catch and shoot shooter than anything else but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. He clearly worked hard at reworking his shot over the break and he’s at 4/8 from three and 9/10 from the free throw line since the return to play. It’s a small sample yes, but I’ve bought the shot from the beginning bc it always looked like an easy fix with work. Nothing about it looked broken.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#289 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:37 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:

Read on Twitter

I agree he’s a much better catch and shoot shooter than anything else but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. He clearly worked hard at reworking his shot over the break and he’s at 4/8 from three and 9/10 from the free throw line since the return to play. It’s a small sample yes, but I’ve bought the shot from the beginning bc it always looked like an easy fix with work. Nothing about it looked broken.

havent watched anything recent. he is an interesting prospect, but I just like a lot of other ones better so far
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#290 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:56 am

If he's a legit catch and shoot shooter I can get around him pretty high now. I don't really expect too much off the dribble shooting but obviously would be very impressive if he gets there with it.

I always thought his form was extremely workable. As I'm looking at them in the above clip, I think the mechanics are largely very good.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#291 » by getrichordie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 am

GimmeDat wrote:If he's a legit catch and shoot shooter I can get around him pretty high now. I don't really expect too much off the dribble shooting but obviously would be very impressive if he gets there with it.

I always thought his form was extremely workable. As I'm looking at them in the above clip, I think the mechanics are largely very good.

So how high are you now? I've been saying Avdija is a top 5 prospect based on everything I've heard/seen.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#292 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 am

getrichordie wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:If he's a legit catch and shoot shooter I can get around him pretty high now. I don't really expect too much off the dribble shooting but obviously would be very impressive if he gets there with it.

So how high are you now? I've been saying Avdija is a top 5 prospect based on everything I've heard/seen.

I always had him about 6-7 or so, but for the Bulls at 7, I preferred Vassell or potentially even Okoro, as far as wings/forwards go. I think the shooting developments push him up slightly more in that conversation now.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#293 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:10 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

I always had him about 6-7 or so, but for the Bulls at 7, I preferred Vassell or potentially even Okoro, as far as wings/forwards go. I think the shooting developments push him up slightly more in that conversation now.

Avdija has a a fluid game and seems effortless in his movement in space, but he lacks anything close to an elite shooting motion and certainly not one that should be considered a positive part of his game overall even if he catching and shooting a better clip than historically. I would gamble on him becoming a decent shooter in time, but never a 1st 2nd or even 3rd option scorer in the NBA
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#294 » by getrichordie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Stillwater wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Avdija has a a fluid game and seems effortless in his movement in space, but he lacks anything close to an elite shooting motion and certainly not one that should be considered a positive part of his game overall even if he catching and shooting a better clip than historically. I would gamble on him becoming a decent shooter in time, but never a 1st 2nd or even 3rd option scorer in the NBA

You don't need an elite shooting motion to be effective in the NBA. His form looks really good and, IMO, projects to be a good 3-pt shooter in the NBA. It might take some time for him to work on more advanced shots, but if he can shoot 37% from deep, that forces close outs and he can play make off dribble drives and I think he can defend at a high level moving forward.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#295 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:49 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

You don't need an elite shooting motion to be effective in the NBA. His form looks really good and, IMO, projects to be a good 3-pt shooter in the NBA. It might take some time for him to work on more advanced shots, but if he can shoot 37% from deep, that forces close outs and he can play make off dribble drives and I think he can defend at a high level moving forward.

I dont see him ever being a reliable shooter, he has never shown consistent improvement to suggest it is a priority to him. I also dont have any confidence in his ability to score like he has once playing against longer stronger defenders.
If he can catch and shoot great good for him but it doesn't coexist with his strengths. He lacks the strength and length to be a + defender in the NBA
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#296 » by SwipeDaFox » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Stillwater wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

I think you severely underestimate his work-ethic and attitude towards working on his craft and wanting to get better.

I mean his progress in the last year alone have been phenomenal - I think him maximizing or getting close to maximizing his potential is not that far fetched.

He has that type of mentality and work ethic. Kid's a gym rat.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#297 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 pm

SwipeDaFox wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

I think you severely underestimate his work-ethic and attitude towards working on his craft and wanting to get better.

I mean his progress in the last year alone have been phenomenal - I think him maximizing or getting close to maximizing his potential is not that far fetched.

He has that type of mentality and work ethic. Kid's a gym rat.

I am not questioning his work ethic in fact I think he is where hes at because of it, and tbh dont see much in the way of NBA level athleticism or length to make me beleive he has much ceiling to attain that will make a difference . I mean sure improving some mental mistakes and adjusting to the pro game will be easy for him and if he can somehow change his shot to become reliable or finish in traffic against the big boys he could potentially be worth a higher lottery pick in this weak draft but there are prospects who already do those things with ease in this class ahead of him that are not as hyped coming into the draft.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#298 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:36 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Tomas Satoransky is an example of a 37% 3 point shooter, but he's got a relatively slow release, so defenders don't need to play him real tight, so he really doesn't spread defenses. I think there's some similarities between them - even though they play different positions - with Avdija being a bit bigger and hopefully more dynamic.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#299 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:50 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Fischella wrote:Deni is already better than Osman lol

prove it

Osman has been a role player on every team he has played for. Avdija is way more talented.

I agree Avdija is more talented, Osman is just Euroleague role player who is in the NBA for some reason, but if you put current Osman on Tel Aviv, I bet he would have bigger role and contribute more than teenage Avdija, do not get ahead of yourselves and claim Avdija is alreaydy better than guys like Osman, I dont think he is at all. Do not forget that his powerhouse team now only facing crappy Israeli teams, and team has an opportunity to play guys who were usually deep in rotation charts.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#300 » by No-Man » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:08 pm

I think Deni is going to be better in the NBA than Osman as soon as next season, Cedi is so bad on D

Return to NBA Draft