ImageImageImageImageImage

Allonzo Trier Appreciation Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Metta World WAR
Junior
And1: 331

Allonzo Trier Appreciation Thread 

Post#1 » by Metta World WAR » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Such a waste. If they weren't going to play him, the least they could have done was sold high.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Re: Allonzo Trier Appreciation Thread 

Post#2 » by WargamesX » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:52 pm

Metta World WAR wrote:Such a waste. If they weren't going to play him, the least they could have done was sold high.

That would have required competence and foresight...... they don’t have that
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#3 » by NYKat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Kid has a lot of potential... (James Harden level long term potential)... these are the casualties of regime change
Houston99
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#4 » by Houston99 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 pm

I actually liked trier he could of been a good 6th man.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,298

Post#5 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:37 pm

Letting Trier go is an awful decision that will haunt this franchise for years.

Zo had an above-league average TS% in both his rookie and sophomore seasons. He wasn’t much more than a scorer, but at least he was an efficient one. At least he did one thing well, which is more than you can say about most guys on our roster. But the Knicks don’t care about analytics. They only care about big names they won’t get, and empty narratives about culture and our past glory.

I could see Zo being a 6MOT contender and even an All-Star a couple years from now. We let a gem go in my opinion.

The only thing I didn’t like is that - perhaps in response to how he’s been unfairly treated by the organization - he didn’t seem fully committed to the Knicks, and it showed in that Twitter situation about RJ. That was a flagrant foul on Zo’s part, but they could have bridged that gap.

The Knicks have horrible management and this is not going to change anytime soon.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,216

Post#6 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 pm

NYKat wrote:Kid has a lot of potential... (James Harden level long term potential)... these are the casualties of regime change

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,126

Post#7 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:40 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NYKat
RealGM

Post#8 » by NYKat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:02 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
NYKat wrote:Kid has a lot of potential... (James Harden level long term potential)... these are the casualties of regime change

LOL,Key word here is POTENTIAL, the kid had more in his bag than alot of vets...

not unreasonable to say that Harden is his ceiling
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#9 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:02 pm

Now we won't hear Clyde say "ISO ZO" anymore. #Sad
Free Palestine
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#10 » by King of Canada » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:22 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Now we won't hear Clyde say "ISO ZO" anymore. #Sad

Clyde was usually **** on him though
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#11 » by j4remi » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 pm

All this really says is they knew they weren’t bringing Zo back. He gets to go hopefully audition for someone else now. But I’m surprised they were certain. As frustrating as he was, he had some potential.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#12 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:26 am

What?!!!

He was an isolation artist who appeared better than he was because he spent 4 yrs in college and was drafted to a young team thats trash.

I dont think he sucked nor do I like the way his second yr was handled. I'll even go as far as to say I could see him sticking around in the nba but hes a bottom 3rd roster player for life. Hes got no potential. What he was able to do with the Knkcks is probably the best opportunity he'll ever have.
NYKat
RealGM

Post#13 » by NYKat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:

What?!!!

He was an isolation artist who appeared better than he was because he spent 4 yrs in college and was drafted to a young team thats trash.

I dont think he sucked nor do I like the way his second yr was handled. I'll even go as far as to say I could see him sticking around in the nba but hes a bottom 3rd roster player for life. Hes got no potential. What he was able to do with the Knkcks is probably the best opportunity he'll ever have.

I mean I disagree, the kid was walking bucket....

steps backs, drives, pull-ups, off the dribble, off the catch, one-on-one, in the paint, from the primeter, floaters, up and unders, with and without contact, he had everything in his bag to be an elite scorer, and the stones to do it... He's still young but that talent level needs to be refined.

A little discipline, IQ and learning the nuances of the pro game and the kid could be an allstar. He'd have to max out his potential but he has the talent to get there... unlike say a Knox, that dude is only good for open shots, and he's not mentally tough
nyk2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 765

Post#14 » by nyk2017 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:09 am

NYKat wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

What?!!!

I mean I disagree, the kid was walking bucket....

steps backs, drives, pull-ups, off the dribble, off the catch, one-on-one, in the paint, from the primeter, floaters, up and unders, with and without contact, he had everything in his bag to be an elite scorer, and the stones to do it... He's still young but that talent level needs to be refined.

A little discipline, IQ and learning the nuances of the pro game and the kid could be an allstar. He'd have to max out his potential but he has the talent to get there... unlike say a Knox, that dude is only good for open shots, and he's not mentally tough

He is not much better than Trey Burke. As for the Harden comparisons, Harden can pass the ball and rebound. This guy can't do either. Harden can shoot the 3's, Trier can't. He will hang around the league ala Trey Burke and will occasionally have 30-40 point gmaes, but this kid does not belong in a regular rotation.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#15 » by Richard4444 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:18 am

Trier was gone by the trade deadline. He was a RFA with a 4,6Milion Cap Hold. We would never keep his Cap Hold during next FA agency. He was virtually an UFA.

The decision is to focus in high potential cheaper players who we can bring back next year in 2 way or minimum contracts.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#16 » by Richard4444 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:36 am

What is very odd is the abrupt perception change about his skillset and potential. First we give him a nice contract using a valuable Biannual Exception. Few months later, we take his out of rotation, favoring players that was not playing much better than him. What can explain such behavior? Some possible alternatives:

1) Was Trier little coachable and did not show sign of improvement during his time as a Knick? I was under the impression his was a terrible passer and could not see the whole floor.

2) Did Knicks Front Office sees him as a undersized shooting guard who slows the flow of the game with much isolation?

3) Did Knicks Front Office sees him like a player who demand to get paid next season although never have showed any consistency?

4) Had anything to do with Durant" Knicks snub? Was he supposed to recruit Durant or did he hide something from FO about Durant plan?
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
zappafrank
Junior
And1: 158

Post#17 » by zappafrank » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:39 am

I can't believe they punished him all season for the earthquake causing dunk last year in Vegas?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:01 am

I don't get it. Hopefully there was a behind the scenes rational as to why they waived Trier. Oh well, all will be forgotten if Rose turns this franchise around and/or Trier doesn't end up being a top 6th man somewhere while ol Theo Pinson turns into a flub.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,870

Post#19 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:16 am

he must have really been a knucklehead. i can't imagine why else someone with such talent could get NO run.

i figure they weren't going to spend any serious money on him. i don't think he wanted back at this point, understandably. mutual parting of ways after a terrible relationship?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#20 » by gavran » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 am

WargamesX wrote:
Metta World WAR wrote:Such a waste. If they weren't going to play him, the least they could have done was sold high.

That would have required competence and foresight...... they don’t have that

No, that would have required a buyer.

Return to New York Knicks