ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Re: UCF Football 

Post#1101 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:51 pm

Big matchup tomorrow night vs #5 Miami (6pm).
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#1102 » by UCF » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:26 pm

All sporting contests canceled — craziness
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#1103 » by craig01 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 pm

Awful and sad.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1104 » by UCF » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:02 am

At this rate, fall football is in serious jeopardy to be altered if not canceled.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1105 » by UCF » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:04 pm

UCF wrote:At this rate, fall football is in serious jeopardy to be altered if not canceled.

I’m thinking if by the end of next month things don’t improve I might be right. Need to get students back to campus safely to have a season.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1106 » by UCF » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:42 pm

NCAA has announced a few rule changes
Read on Twitter
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1107 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:32 pm

UCF wrote:NCAA has announced a few rule changes
Read on Twitter

Those all seem to make sense. I hope those 2 minute reviews start from when he starts looking at it. That should be enough time, though I could see this adding to controversy if it's a tough job and they make the wrong call when time runs out. Maybe it'll be more of a guideline than a hard fast rule, but that seems unlikely.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1108 » by UCF » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:14 pm

I’d be concerned about home teams trying to find ways intentionally slowing things down.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1109 » by UCF » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Milton is looking better and better every time we see him. I hope he gets to play again.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1110 » by UCF » Thu May 21, 2020 12:59 am

Read on Twitter
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#1111 » by nymets1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:53 am

What is up with the Florida Gators removing the gator bait chant? They getting rid of the GATOR GATOR chant?

What about the " Go Gators come on gators get up and go" ?

I think they'll keep the "Move back you suck" chant

Their home games won't the same without the GATOR GATOR chant.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1112 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:08 pm

nymets1 wrote:What is up with the Florida Gators removing the gator bait chant? They getting rid of the GATOR GATOR chant?

Not sure if you're thinking of the right chant. the Gator Bait chant is a short one led by the band at the start of the game. I'm not too familiar with it myself, but a lot of people seem to think it means they're getting rid of the "Gator Chomp" hand motion, which they're not.

"Gator Bait" apparently has some racist history so the school is just getting rid of the term. I think it's a pretty small change, but people are freaking out thinking it's bigger than it is (IMO). It's important to note the chant itself was never intended as such and never had racist intentions within it, but that doesn't mean it's OK to ignore the term's historical use as well.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/university-of-florida-gator-bait-cheer-horrific-racist-history/

According to the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia at Ferris State University, African American children were sometimes used to bait alligators in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Newspaper articles and postcards from the time period also highlight the practice.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#1113 » by nymets1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:16 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
nymets1 wrote:What is up with the Florida Gators removing the gator bait chant? They getting rid of the GATOR GATOR chant?

Not sure if you're thinking of the right chant. the Gator Bait chant is a short one led by the band at the start of the game. I'm not too familiar with it myself, but a lot of people seem to think it means they're getting rid of the "Gator Chomp" hand motion, which they're not.

"Gator Bait" apparently has some racist history so the school is just getting rid of the term. I think it's a pretty small change, but people are freaking out thinking it's bigger than it is (IMO). It's important to note the chant itself was never intended as such and never had racist intentions within it, but that doesn't mean it's OK to ignore the term's historical use as well.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/university-of-florida-gator-bait-cheer-horrific-racist-history/

According to the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia at Ferris State University, African American children were sometimes used to bait alligators in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Newspaper articles and postcards from the time period also highlight the practice.

Yep it's the chant that says GATOR GATOR

I don't understand getting rid of it when all they do is say GATOR GATOR and do the chomp with their hands. It never is directed at anybody, It's just a chant they do for their school.

But as a result, They will play the "Go Gators come on gators get up and go" which has always been my favorite. That one and the "Move back you suck" chant after every time the opposing team is flagged with a penalty.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1114 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 pm

nymets1 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:

Yep it's the chant that says GATOR GATOR

I don't understand getting rid of it when all they do is say GATOR GATOR and do the chomp with their hands. It never is directed at anybody, It's just a chant they do for their school.

But as a result, They will play the "Go Gators come on gators get up and go" which has always been my favorite. That one and the "Move back you suck" chant after every time the opposing team is flagged with a penalty.

Let me know if you're referring to something other than the clip you posted, but they don't chant "GATOR GATOR". If it was there'd be no controversy, they're chanting "GATOR BAIT" (several times). And I'd assume it's directed at the opposing team, which obviously has black athletes on the team and thereby can be uncomfortable having that chanted at them given the term's racial history. I don't think the chant is intending for that interpretation, but it's a smart move to get rid of it to avoid that possibility and avoid any possibility of controversy.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1115 » by UCF » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:21 am

FSU now looking at possibly renaming their stadium.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,149

Post#1116 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:21 am

UCF has landed 11 verbal commits during the dead period, including 7 in the month of June.

https://ucf.rivals.com/commitments/football/2021
https://247sports.com/college/central-florida/Season/2021-Football/Commits/
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1117 » by UCF » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 pm

This is going to be the most unique recruiting cycle of all time. No camps, fall seasons potentially cancelled at the high school level, no visits (as of yet) and all virtual recruitment...
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1118 » by UCF » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 am

Read on Twitter

Some interior shots of the new RAC building
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1119 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Odds football even happens in the Fall? Right now i'm thinking it gets pushed to the Spring.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1120 » by UCF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:06 pm

Living out of state I’m starting to think that’s what I’m hoping for.

Thankfully I only have one flight booked for game days so the loss won’t be too bad if I can’t get a refund.

Return to Orlando Magic