MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,654

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#821 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:43 pm

machu46 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
machu46 wrote:
At this point it sounds like it won't be coming out until the next gen consoles are out or about to be out anyways, and I'd be surprised if the PS5 can't handle it, so no worries on my end

What I've seen them say thus far is that it's coming out for PS4, there will be a day-one patch to make it more PS5 compatible/optimized (since system is fully backward compatible), and there will be a down-the-road second patch to more greatly optimize it to be run on PS5.

I do not believe there will be a native PS5 copy.

Yeah, but point being it should run more than fine on PS5 if I had to guess which is where I'll almost certainly be playing it at this point.

That's what I planned on as well, as I wanted a good showcase game for PS5, but I'm not counting on that day-one patch to fix things. I hope it does.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#822 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
truly wrote:

Going for Desperados 3,it's getting very good reviews on steam.

There is also a demo available if you want to try before you buy.

Deperados 3 is excellent - talked about my time with the demo a couple pages ago. I'd have bought it by now if there wasn't a new PoE league I'm into. It went onto my wishlist right away, though.

Tip: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun is from the same developer, in the same genre (isometric stealth tactics) and was highly praised but went under the radar. It's $6 in the Steam sale, which is major value if you kind of want the same-ish type game, but set in feudal Japan.

Hell yeah, buying it! There's several things I'll be getting this sale for a rainy day.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,961

Post#823 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:05 pm

One pretty huge bummer is since I upgraded to my new Macbook, just about my entire Steam and GOG library is useless. Almost all the games are 32 bit, laptop is 64.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#824 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Not sure if this is the place to post this (but hey its a game after all and I despise reddit) anyone else play DnD?

Recently got back into playing (played for almost a decade and stopped for like the last 7) but I'm having a hard time getting one of my players into the RP aspect of the game despite her theater background

Just looking for tips

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Been playing weekly with the same group for two years, plus weekly play for a year or so before that. What's your issue?
Mostly have players completely new to ttprg. We're 3 months in. Most have picked up the basic mechanics and have started incorporating more actual role-playing but I got one who actually has a degree in acting/theater and works for the Ren Fair but for the life of me I can't get her to actually RP and the little bit she does it comes at the expense of her needing to regale the world in order to do it (ie: I describe what a set of npcs are wearing and she responds with "well one of them is wearing pearls so I want to steal them" and then her shutting back down when I say "They arent wearing pearls. These are peasants and I never said they had pearls")

Usually when there is an issue like this, it's a lack of communication between player and DM --- trust me, I've been on both sides of this. On top of this, I usually like to think "what am I doing wrong" and do a good self inspection before I say "my player is the problem," so hold with me through my next few points.

First, if I were in your shoes, I'd examine the expectations I've set out for the campaign. Was I abundantly clear that this was a roleplay heavy game? This can be the easiest thing to goof up. When I was newer to D&D I wanted everyone to act their pants off and have complex characters like it was Critical Role; but I didn't express that expectation to my players, who just wanted to drink beer, role dice, and kill dragons.

Next, I have to understand my players and what they are interested in to engage them. Some people are there to interact with every NPC, some are there because they want to hack up goblins. If roleplaying doesn't tickle my players fancy, I'm not going to keep trying to force the issue because it'll just turn into a bad time. Your friend might have a theatre degree, but that doesn't mean they want to act during a game. They might find the dice rolling, dungeon crawling, and pearl stealing to be an escape from acting as their job.

Which brings me to my last point --- the role of the DM is to make the game fun for players. If this person doesn't want to get deep into character, but they want to steal pearls, well maybe let them steal pearls? Give a consequence to it, maybe the person they filched pearls from hires bounty hunters to reclaim their heirloom necklace. That can encourage organic roleplaying; is this player going to give up the pearls or fight the bounty hunters to keep them; if they fenced the item maybe they are now in debt to this noble in a Han Solo - Jabba the Hutt style where they need to make up for it or else.

Without additional detail, I think you just need to work with this player to establish expectations and provide them with content that makes them tic where they organically get to where you want them to be.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#825 » by RRyder823 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:Been playing weekly with the same group for two years, plus weekly play for a year or so before that. What's your issue?
Mostly have players completely new to ttprg. We're 3 months in. Most have picked up the basic mechanics and have started incorporating more actual role-playing but I got one who actually has a degree in acting/theater and works for the Ren Fair but for the life of me I can't get her to actually RP and the little bit she does it comes at the expense of her needing to regale the world in order to do it (ie: I describe what a set of npcs are wearing and she responds with "well one of them is wearing pearls so I want to steal them" and then her shutting back down when I say "They arent wearing pearls. These are peasants and I never said they had pearls")

Usually when there is an issue like this, it's a lack of communication between player and DM --- trust me, I've been on both sides of this. On top of this, I usually like to think "what am I doing wrong" and do a good self inspection before I say "my player is the problem," so hold with me through my next few points.

First, if I were in your shoes, I'd examine the expectations I've set out for the campaign. Was I abundantly clear that this was a roleplay heavy game? This can be the easiest thing to goof up. When I was newer to D&D I wanted everyone to act their pants off and have complex characters like it was Critical Role; but I didn't express that expectation to my players, who just wanted to drink beer, role dice, and kill dragons.

Next, I have to understand my players and what they are interested in to engage them. Some people are there to interact with every NPC, some are there because they want to hack up goblins. If roleplaying doesn't tickle my players fancy, I'm not going to keep trying to force the issue because it'll just turn into a bad time. Your friend might have a theatre degree, but that doesn't mean they want to act during a game. They might find the dice rolling, dungeon crawling, and pearl stealing to be an escape from acting as their job.

Which brings me to my last point --- the role of the DM is to make the game fun for players. If this person doesn't want to get deep into character, but they want to steal pearls, well maybe let them steal pearls? Give a consequence to it, maybe the person they filched pearls from hires bounty hunters to reclaim their heirloom necklace. That can encourage organic roleplaying; is this player going to give up the pearls or fight the bounty hunters to keep them; if they fenced the item maybe they are now in debt to this noble in a Han Solo - Jabba the Hutt style where they need to make up for it or else.

Without additional detail, I think you just need to work with this player to establish expectations and provide them with content that makes them tic where they organically get to where you want them to be.
Yeah I understand all that. Like I said I did play/dm for close to a decade before taking a hiatus. Ill be clear though. I'm NOT saying she's a problem player. Not in the least. Simply looking for tips to get her to open up at the table as she's said that's what she wants. Personally I think she's overwhelmed with the mechanics, as she hasn't picked those up as quickly as the others, and I've tried assuring her we'll walk her through mechanic's without issue.

I get what you're said about critical role and made it abundantly clear i wasn't expecting that and said dont expect me to be near Matt Mercer (seriously that guy is **** amazing as a dm).

MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#826 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 pm

Did anyone ever play My Time At Portia? Looking to pick that one up on Steam Sale possibly. Lots of people love it, wondering if any opinions here.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#827 » by Sauce Boss » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:37 am

RRyder823 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Mostly have players completely new to ttprg. We're 3 months in. Most have picked up the basic mechanics and have started incorporating more actual role-playing but I got one who actually has a degree in acting/theater and works for the Ren Fair but for the life of me I can't get her to actually RP and the little bit she does it comes at the expense of her needing to regale the world in order to do it (ie: I describe what a set of npcs are wearing and she responds with "well one of them is wearing pearls so I want to steal them" and then her shutting back down when I say "They arent wearing pearls. These are peasants and I never said they had pearls")

Yeah I understand all that. Like I said I did play/dm for close to a decade before taking a hiatus. Ill be clear though. I'm NOT saying she's a problem player. Not in the least. Simply looking for tips to get her to open up at the table as she's said that's what she wants. Personally I think she's overwhelmed with the mechanics, as she hasn't picked those up as quickly as the others, and I've tried assuring her we'll walk her through mechanic's without issue.

I get what you're said about critical role and made it abundantly clear i wasn't expecting that and said dont expect me to be near Matt Mercer (seriously that guy is **** amazing as a dm).

Got it. Extra info helps.

I think maybe just walking through her mechanics, maybe making a little cheat sheet can help upfront. Basic stuff that says, "hey, you can do an action on your turn and here are your basic action options" can really help. I'm trying to do a 1-on-1 campaign with my girlfriend while we stay at home during all this pandemic stuff, and she gets really overwhelmed by mechanics. Having that little reminder laid out for her on paper helps a bunch.

Then I think its a little on your player to tell you what she enjoys and you making some content/hooks that align with her taste. Sounds so elementary, but its true. I like combat, puzzles, and dungeons and my friends like having NPCs to seduce, drink tea with, and have melodrama. Drastically different interests, and when I get too much of the latter its hard for me to engage. I know that about me after experiencing it, so I guess it'll just be a learning curve?

While maybe weird giving sort of an acting tip to an actor, there is this good concept of the "Three Legs" approach (in the comments section) to characters that I like that she could consult too. Basically asking your self questions about your character that you want to discover rather than making facts about them. Something like "I believe in righteous justice" can be a your deal, and the question you want to answer about yourself is "how far am I willing to go."
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#828 » by Sauce Boss » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:39 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Did anyone ever play My Time At Portia? Looking to pick that one up on Steam Sale possibly. Lots of people love it, wondering if any opinions here.

My girlfriend has it on Switch. The vibe I got was it's solid, but you could play better stuff with your time. You'd probably be better off sticking with Dragon Quest Builder 2, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, etc... because she dropped it pretty quick to either go back to those or pick up something else.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,607

Post#829 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:40 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
jschligs wrote:My hype for Cyberpunk 2077 keeps getting higher and higher and I'm scared I'm going to be let down. IGN played for 4 hours and had some complaints, but they were so minor and sound like they can be fixed. After getting burned on a few other games hype-train I need to settle down. It looks so ****ing awesome though.

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-hands-on-preview-what-we-think-after-4-hours-in-night-city

I'm just reading that now. I watched a couple more trailers released yesterday. This game looks ridiculous.

This game is gonna be bigger than whatever god you believe in :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#830 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Dodging rain is easier than some of those Witcher 2 boss battles, so annoying.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,560

Post#831 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:17 pm

So I just finished both Last of Us and Telltale's Walking Dead Final Season in the same weekend. Needless to say, not a great idea if you don't want to start the week off as an emotional wreck....

Oh, and Walking Dead Season 1 story >>>> Last of Us story, and Clementine >>>> Ellie 8-)
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,459

Post#832 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
jschligs wrote:My hype for Cyberpunk 2077 keeps getting higher and higher and I'm scared I'm going to be let down. IGN played for 4 hours and had some complaints, but they were so minor and sound like they can be fixed. After getting burned on a few other games hype-train I need to settle down. It looks so ****ing awesome though.

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-hands-on-preview-what-we-think-after-4-hours-in-night-city

I'm just reading that now. I watched a couple more trailers released yesterday. This game looks ridiculous.

The open world they created looks massive in scope and scale and lived in. I think it's too late to stop my hype for this game LOL.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#833 » by jschligs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

The open world they created looks massive in scope and scale and lived in. I think it's too late to stop my hype for this game LOL.

I had forgotten how big my hype was until the IGN article. Then they go ahead yesterday and release some screenshots with raytracing on and I nearly blew a load. Guess now I have to buy a 2070 Super...**** I might as well just build a whole new PC solely for this.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#834 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 pm

jschligs wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I had forgotten how big my hype was until the IGN article. Then they go ahead yesterday and release some screenshots with raytracing on and I nearly blew a load. Guess now I have to buy a 2070 Super...**** I might as well just build a whole new PC solely for this.

The only gripe I still have, and its just preference, but I wish game was third person. In an RPG where your look is so important, it is such a negative for you not to see your character when you play. But I get that they most likely nailed first person gameplay, they better be, and by the end of the game, I might not even fathom how the game could have been different, but right not, not played yet, I say I would have wished a Cyberpunk game in third person.

Do people here know a lot about Cyberpunk lore? They could do a lot with it with stand alone DLC Blood Dragon style. For example, Shadowrun is Cyberpunk game that introduce old school magic and fantasy races, I wouldnt want that in main story, by if they do their own Blood Dragon, it could work.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#835 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:42 pm

jschligs wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Haha I hear ya. I almost bought a 2080ti the other day but I might wait for the 3080 series.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#836 » by crkone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
jschligs wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Haha I hear ya. I almost bought a 2080ti the other day but I might wait for the 3080 series.

Yeah I got to dump my 6gb 1060 now. Fuccccccckkkkk

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#837 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:44 pm

jschligs wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

One of us! One of us! My machine is a freaking beast now, it's so much fun, haha.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#838 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:46 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
jschligs wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

The only gripe I still have, and its just preference, but I wish game was third person. In an RPG where your look is so important, it is such a negative for you not to see your character when you play. But I get that they most likely nailed first person gameplay, they better be, and by the end of the game, I might not even fathom how the game could have been different, but right not, not played yet, I say I would have wished a Cyberpunk game in third person.

Do people here know a lot about Cyberpunk lore? They could do a lot with it with stand alone DLC Blood Dragon style. For example, Shadowrun is Cyberpunk game that introduce old school magic and fantasy races, I wouldnt want that in main story, by if they do their own Blood Dragon, it could work.

I'm with you on the third person. Or at least give you the option to go 3rd person cause it looks like you can switch back and forth when you're in a vehicle.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#839 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:53 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
jschligs wrote:

I'm with you on the third person. Or at least give you the option to go 3rd person cause it looks like you can switch back and forth when you're in a vehicle.

Speaking off, its insane how much detail there is in this game, like interior of every car, even Need for speed games dont have that. This is one game where it feels you ripping of the publisher by buying it.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#840 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:29 pm

After watching more and more vids, I have another gripe, and at this point I am just whining, but is it just me, or male voice actor of V is just not very likable. I think female V sounds awesome, male V is meh, I dont want to play as him.

I have seen few youtube comments saying they are disappointed because city looks dead, very little traffic and people in the streets, I think and hope thats just area of the city and main areas are much busier.

By the way, Ghost of Tsushima comes out in 3 weeks, right now I am exited for that one.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks