ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who do you prefer of the following prospects?

Desmond Bane
41%
Saddiq Bey
3%
RJ Hampton
3%
Kira Lewis Jr
14%
Tyrese Maxey
7%
Aaron Nesmith
7%
Isaac Okoro
3%
Jalen Smith
7%
Tyrell Terry
7%
Patrick Williams
7%

Total votes: 29

Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,974

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch 

Post#641 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:04 am

RedIndian wrote:Man, Lamelo is such a tantalising prospect. There's a question mark around that shot, but man his ball handling and passing is genuinely elite. If that shot gets cleaned up, and he fills out a bit, I think he could be a Luka-level talent.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Agree, I'd love to get Ball and have him play under the tutelage of Rubio for two seasons before taking over the reins as starting PG. His size, passing ability, age, and overall potential make him a very intriguing prospect. I'm also less concerned about his shot and defence than others.
Spoiler:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,380

Post#642 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#643 » by DirtyDez » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:42 pm

Even if we’re tourney banned I hope there’s CBB this year:

Read on Twitter
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,931

Post#644 » by sunsbg » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:39 pm

Daniel Oturu - looks intriguing as a PF (has some range) next to Ayton or backup C.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020-nba-mock-draft-1-0/

A 2nd rounder on another mock, so maybe obtainable with a later pick as well.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#645 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:48 pm

sunsbg wrote:Daniel Oturu - looks intriguing as a PF (has some range) next to Ayton or backup C.

Absolutely a great option as a backup 5, With some capabilities at the 4 in small duration due to his overall face up ability. Although his proclivity is to score in the post around the rim.......Ala Embiid! But he definitely has immense potential and very impressive stats as well.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/daniel-Oturu.
20 points/ 12 rebounds/ 1.2 assists/ 2.6 blocks/ 36% from three/ 70% free throws. 56% FG/ 58% EFG/ 61% TS/ 30.1 PER/ AND 11.1 BPM.

He kind of reminds me of Al Jefferson on offense, and a mix Embiid/ Capela on defense. Definitely worth a late first- early 2nd, Especially to have him learn from Baynes for a year before taking over at the backup 5. I'd prefer Oturu (1st) , Carey ( 2nd), Xavier Tillman ( 3rd). I'm all for a trade back scenario too.
With preference being one of :

1-
Phoenix/ Boston- The 10 for the 17th and 26th pick.
2-
Phoenix/ Dallas- The 10 for the 18th and 31st pick.
3-
Phoenix/ Minnesota- The 10 for the 16th and 33rd pick.
4-
Phoenix/ Orlando- The 10th pick for the 15th and 45th picks.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#646 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:10 pm

sunsbg wrote:Daniel Oturu - looks intriguing as a PF (has some range) next to Ayton or backup C.

Also, Just checked, And discovered this too:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/12/19/nba-draft-minnesota-golden-gophers-daniel-oturu/amp/

He is averaging 17.6 points and 11.2 rebounds per game, highlighted by double-doubles in six of his first ten appearances as a sophomore. That kind of productivity helped him lead the Golden Gophers past then No. 1 overall Ohio State on December 15.

Given that he has a 7-foot-3 wingspan, he is a tremendous defensive stopper who currently has an absurd 3.4 blocks per game. In fact, only seven players in the NCAA have recorded more blocks in 2019-20. His block percentage (10.9 percent) and his defensive rebound percentage (26.6 percent) both rank Top 10 among all underclassmen.

But he is more than just a rim protector and defensive presence. He has been remarkably efficient on offense, shooting 81.2 percent at the rim. It was there where he first made his impact known as a prospect in high school. Oturu put down a marvelous alley-oop at the buzzer to defeat Duke’s Tre Jones for the Minnesota state title.

Oturu averaged 1.3 points per possession on pick-and-pop opportunities as a freshman last season, per Synergy, which ranked in the 90th percentile.

This year, he has improved that mark to 1.42 PPP (88th percentile) on pick-and-pop possessions. That ranks Top 15 among all qualified D1 players so far in 2019-20.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#647 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:38 am

I dont like lamelo

First if his passing ability was so good he would have elevated the players around him and not ended up with the worst record in the Australian league.

Also if he wasnt a ball brother no1 on earth would ever say "Unlimited shooting potential" about a guy who cant hit the side of a barn.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#648 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:07 am

okay so finally i took a look at this Oturu guy and it has me cracking up.

Hes like having another Ayton the floor.

Combined they are the Aytonoturu Destroyer of Worlds.

Sign me up.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#649 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:36 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:okay so finally i took a look at this Oturu guy and it has me cracking up.

Hes like having another Ayton the floor.

Combined they are the Aytonoturu Destroyer of Worlds.

Sign me up.

I'd tend to agree with you on their comparable abilities to score around the rim with ease and finesse for big men. However, The difference with Oturu is in that he's a lot more active blocking shots ( near 3.4 per game).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/12/19/nba-draft-minnesota-golden-gophers-daniel-oturu/amp/

Given that he has a 7-foot-3 wingspan, he is a tremendous defensive stopper who currently has an absurd 3.4 blocks per game. In fact, only seven players in the NCAA have recorded more blocks in 2019-20. His block percentage (10.9 percent) and his defensive rebound percentage (26.6 percent) both rank Top 10 among all underclassmen.

And also, He's already shooting threes at a very solid level too.
http://www.tankathon.com/players/daniel-oturu . Around 36% on threes with a 30.7 PER and an 11.1 BPM.

And he'd actually be replacing Baynes too as a backup center to Ayton. So it'd be like always having a dominant center on the floor at all times. :wink:
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#650 » by Wilber85 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:09 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:I dont like lamelo

First if his passing ability was so good he would have elevated the players around him and not ended up with the worst record in the Australian league.

Also if he wasnt a ball brother no1 on earth would ever say "Unlimited shooting potential" about a guy who cant hit the side of a barn.

I like Melo. He will be the best Ball brother! LaMelo is a big guard. If he defense gets better he will basically be a ben simmons lite with a better shot.

Especially as a 6th man guard with the bench squad learning behind rubio!!!
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#651 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:19 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach

Post#652 » by Mr Puddles » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 am

I'm curious to see how people feel about a possible future onyeka okongwu / DeAndre Ayton pairing.

On the one hand, Okongwu looks like a possible Brandon Clarke type of player - and with Ayton's improved defense they could make a devastating pairing on that end of the floor.

On the other hand, we need less spacing in our starting lineup like we Tim Donaghy to be the referee of the first game in our return to the playoffs. Okongwu would have to make major strides as a shooter in order to be able to effectively play the power forward position.
Spoiler:
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#653 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:I'm curious to see how people feel about a possible future onyeka okongwu / DeAndre Ayton pairing.

On the one hand, Okongwu looks like a possible Brandon Clarke type of player - and with Ayton's improved defense they could make a devastating pairing on that end of the floor.

On the other hand, we need less spacing in our starting lineup like we Tim Donaghy to be the referee of the first game in our return to the playoffs. Okongwu would have to make major strides as a shooter in order to be able to effectively play the power forward position.

A buddy and I were talking yesterday about Okongwu. Ayton may be able to guard the 4 as well as Okongwu, which probably wouldn't be a good thing. One of them would need to learn to shoot in any case. Even then, we'd probably stagger them as much as possible.

As deep with 4's as this draft is, none of them is a perfect fit for us. Toppin's probably closest, on the theory that Ayton and Bridges might be able to make up for some of his defensive deficiencies. In terms of prototype, Paul Reed's the best fit due to his length and defense, but that shot ain't getting fixed any time soon. And then there's Precious Achiuwa, who may have the highest ceiling and could be a great fit if he figures it out, but my question is how coachable he is and how likely he is to put in the work and pay his dues in his early years.

Okongwu's better than these guys, and I'd be very excited to bring him off the bench next season, but I really struggle to see how he and Ayton would be able to share the court in the future. Same thing with Devin Booker and Devin Vassel actually. Draftin' ain't easy!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#654 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:I'm curious to see how people feel about a possible future onyeka okongwu / DeAndre Ayton pairing.

Well, I liked Clarke because he was unbelievably good defensively, on and off ball, with insanely high rates, but on offense, his efficiency was insanely good. I also believed his shot would come around.

Okongwu isn't that. I mean as a prospect I can see ranking him higher strictly due to defensive skills, age and wingspan, and he could be a nice small ball center. But you'd need to utilize him with someone like Jokic or Brook Lopez.

Honestly in this day and age I am not sure I'd take someone who can't shoot at any position unless they were absolutely elite at multiple other areas. Now while you can argue he is, and I'd probably really like him, maybe even near the top of the draft, I just don't think he's a good fit with Ayton AT ALL.

Then you could ask, well if you'd have him at the top of the draft, shouldn't you take BPA? Well, I think this draft is weak, like the Anthony Bennett one. I think this is one where you probaby should draft for need. While some stars may emerge, it's anyone's guess as to who those guys will be. Most of these guys are probably role players and bench guys long term....with a handful of starters.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#655 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:58 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

A buddy and I were talking yesterday about Okongwu. Ayton may be able to guard the 4 as well as Okongwu, which probably wouldn't be a good thing. One of them would need to learn to shoot in any case. Even then, we'd probably stagger them as much as possible.

As deep with 4's as this draft is, none of them is a perfect fit for us. Toppin's probably closest, on the theory that Ayton and Bridges might be able to make up for some of his defensive deficiencies. In terms of prototype, Paul Reed's the best fit due to his length and defense, but that shot ain't getting fixed any time soon. And then there's Precious Achiuwa, who may have the highest ceiling and could be a great fit if he figures it out, but my question is how coachable he is and how likely he is to put in the work and pay his dues in his early years.

Okongwu's better than these guys, and I'd be very excited to bring him off the bench next season, but I really struggle to see how he and Ayton would be able to share the court in the future. Same thing with Devin Booker and Devin Vassel actually. Draftin' ain't easy!

As deep with 4's as this draft is, none of them is a perfect fit for us.

I'd actually have to disagree a bit here. There are actually some very nice fits for us that would compliment Ayton in the frontcourt. But we have to be willing to identify them accordingly, And secure a draft position to draft them. Here are a few really solid prospects for our 3 and D needs.

1- Jalen Smith-
http://www.tankathon.com/players/jalen-smith

Smith is quite likely the perfect fit for us honestly with his elite athleticism, ELITE RIM PROTECTION, ELITE REBOUNDING, And most impressively, His 3 pt percentage being close to 37%. ( .368) And his free throw percentage at 75% too. Other than his low assist numbers, he's pretty much a perfect fit!

2- Tyler Bey-
http://www.tankathon.com/players/tyler-bey

He's 6'7 with a 7'2 wingspan. And has spent his college career as a 3/4. He's an absolutely ELITE REBOUNDER and is also an ELITE DEFENSIVE PLAYMAKER as well, with really solid shotblocking and lockdown perimeter defense. And although on a small sample size, He's shooting over 41% from three. He'd be a perfect small ball 4, And as close as we could possibly hope for as a viable replacement option to Oubre in terms of statistical production and defensive impact.

3- Paul Reed-
http://www.tankathon.com/players/paul-reed

Paul is an ELITE SHOTBLOCKER and an ELITE REBOUNDER and an awesome overall perimeter defender with elite ability to get steals/ deflections too. But he'll absolutely have to improve upon his perimeter shooting in order to be a starting caliber 3 and D power forward. Still, He'd allow Ayton to focus solely on his offense and rebounding. Making him a really solid fit alongside of him.

4- Reggie Perry-
http://www.tankathon.com/players/reggie-perry

Reggie is a really strong and athletic versatile 4, With ELITE REBOUNDING and advanced playmaking ability for his size. He's very tough in the post, and has really solid ball handling abilities for a player his size. He's got the potential to become a Bam Adebayo 2.0). He's also a solid three point shooter as well.

5- Killian Tillie-
Tillie has good size at 6'10 for a power forward, he's an ELITE FLOOR SPACING BIG, and he has an ELITE BASKETBALL IQ. He's also a very solid defender, as is fairly fast and athletic too. He's basically a rich man's Saric! He'd be a great floor spacing option next to Ayton.

6- Aleksev Pokusevski-
http://www.tankathon.com/players/aleksej-pokusevski

Aleksev has ELITE PLAYMAKING ability and also ELITE BALLHANDLING SKILLS and is a very solid defender with near elite shotblocking skills too. He's got ELITE PERIMETER SHOOTING ability, But is majorly underweight and needs to add a ton of strength. But he'd be a great floor spacing, defensively versatile, playmaking option for us next to Ayton honestly.

7- Precious Achiuwa-
http://www.tankathon.com/players/precious-achiuwa

Achiuwa is a really good option for us next to Ayton, In that he's actually an ELITE PERIMETER DEFENDER AND ELITE REBOUNDER as well. He's got advanced ballhandling skills for his size, is fast, mobile, and also is improving upon his 3 or shot too.

So actually we have quite a few options available to us throughout this draft. Most of the best fits, outside of the lottery anyways, Which would further benefit us in either a trade back scenario or through purchasing an additional pick potentially. But both Jalen Smith and Pokusevski would pretty much address all of our frontcourt needs thoroughly. And at a significantly lower pricetag than what we'd bid for in free agency too. :D
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,354

Post#656 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:40 am

getrichordie wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:Actually if we really lean into Point Booker, a Booker, Vassell, Bridges, Oubre, Ayton lineup has a ton of athleticism and versatility.

Is there any evidence that Booker can be a lead guard?

He's 13th in the NBA in potential assists if I remember correctly. There's 0 doubt he's a top 15 playmaker, but there's an argument to be made as to whether the team is at its best with him at the 1 or 2, because our team is so unbalanced right now that him simply standing off the ball draws everyone on the defense.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,724

Post#657 » by darmani » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 am

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,931

Post#658 » by sunsbg » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Those Mike Schmitz videos give you some idea about the personality of a player and the way they see the game - important for evaluating them. Avdija looks like a good kid, but still getting more of a Bender than Doncic vibe with him. Probably ends as a nice player somewhere in-between.

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#659 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach

Post#660 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:00 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

It looks like there's some parallels between 2013 and this year's draft.

The funny thing is that even though 2013 was considered to be almost historically bad at the time, it has managed to produce really good players like Greek Freak, Rudy Gobert and Victor Oladipo along with some quality starters like Stevan Adams and Otto Porter Jr.

It probably turned out to be a better draft that following year's draft: the much hyped 2014 draft which was supposed to produce all sorts of generational talent.
Spoiler:

Return to Phoenix Suns