ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Would you prefer a regular season from Christmas to late June and playoffs late June to late August?

Yes, move season back
73%
No, leave as is
27%

Total votes: 41

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,909

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2341 » by Fo-Real » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Revived wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Trier might be worth claiming and giving a look.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Definitely an upgrade over any bench scoring option we have. Plus chemistry with Ayton as well.

Rumors over him being a locker room cancer. Maybe it was just some stuff that happened there where he needs a new situation? I agree that he could be a great instant offense off the bench for us.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2342 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Fo-Real wrote:
Revived wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Trier might be worth claiming and giving a look.

Definitely an upgrade over any bench scoring option we have. Plus chemistry with Ayton as well.

Rumors over him being a locker room cancer. Maybe it was just some stuff that happened there where he needs a new situation? I agree that he could be a great instant offense off the bench for us.
Yeah I've seen some talk of him being a pain but I also think it might have simply been he was headed into RFA this fall and the Knicks don't want any additional money on their books for the summer of 21 so didn't plan on keeping him anyway.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#2343 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:40 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:
Revived wrote:Definitely an upgrade over any bench scoring option we have. Plus chemistry with Ayton as well.

Yeah I've seen some talk of him being a pain but I also think it might have simply been he was headed into RFA this fall and the Knicks don't want any additional money on their books for the summer of 21 so didn't plan on keeping him anyway.

Trier is an NBA 2 guard, and that's good enough for me. Would love to have him.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,093

Post#2344 » by Frank Lee » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:43 pm

nevetsov wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:But we essentially have no shot as we dont play any of the teams needed to leap frog into the 9th slot. As I said before, we are nothing but warm body practice fodder.

True Frank, but I think a few of the teams immediately above us have lots of games between them? Which means some of them *have* to lose. So in theory if we win out we'll jump up a few places at least.

Here are the important head to headers...

Kings >>> Spurs #1 , Pels #4, Pels #7
Spurs >>> Kings #1, Griz #2, Pels #6
Griz >>> Blazers #1, Spurs #2, Pels #3
Pels >>> Griz #3, Kings #4, Spurs #6, Kings #7
Blazers >>> Griz #1
Suns > ....................................nadda....................................

It just isnt happening. As on the head to headers, sure one team loses, but the other wins. Furthermore, consider how hard the shoo-ins will be trying. Their first 3-4 games will just be about getting the wind and legs back. They will be playing for nothing as home court is just one bench and not the other.

This is a glorified summer league, without a true tournament. Not meaning to rain on the parade here, this is just math. I saw one site with us < 1% chance. Thats probably right.

The reason we are going, and its by default, is to mask the TV-men's desires of having Zion play. They werent satisfied with calling the season as it stood. Top 8 and top 8. They had to justify allowing the Pels a chance. The only way was to add in a few more teams who were not math-ly eliminated. But their logic included us, even though they werent going to give us a chance with the modified schedule. Its nuts really... the East has 1 team (Wiz) trying to crack into the 9th spot (they have to be with in 4 games to cause a play in game I think) The West has 5 vying for that slot. This just makes no sense. Its ALL RISK... no reward. And the way the snake has been biting us, I'm against this charade.
What ? Me Worry ?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,382

Post#2345 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 pm

AtheJ415 wrote:I'd take a flier on Trier but probably would prefer getting back into the back of the 2nd for Myles Powell next year.

Interesting! Powell's definitely a scorer. What's your level of interest in:

- Mason Jones.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mason-jones-1.html

- Jalen Harris.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-harris-2.html

- Skylar Mays.
https://www.sports-
http://www.tankathon.com/players/skylar-mays
reference.com/cbb/players/skylar-mays-1.html .

All are also very potent scorers with diverse skillsets, and are also really underrated and under the radar prospects. If I for my part had to choose between them, I'd probably prioritize them something like this:

1- Skylar Mays.
** Reminds a bit of Jamal Murray. With his ballhandling skills and scoring. Also has sneaky athleticism.

2- Mason Jones. He reminds a bit of Jamal Crawford. A very potent, versatile, strong ISO scorer. Plays primarily below the rim, But is still very crafty, and known for hitting big shots!

3- Jalen Harris.
** Reminds a bit of Denzel Valentine/ Terrence Ross.

4- Miles Powell. ** Reminds a bit of Isaiah Thomas ( Washington).
*** Just based on size/ skillset toolbox/ switchability. But any of these players would definitely provide a scoring punch for our bench.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2346 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,090

Post#2347 » by starbosa10 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 am

nevetsov wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:But we essentially have no shot as we dont play any of the teams needed to leap frog into the 9th slot. As I said before, we are nothing but warm body practice fodder.

True Frank, but I think a few of the teams immediately above us have lots of games between them? Which means some of them *have* to lose. So in theory if we win out we'll jump up a few places at least.

Also means a team above us have to win though. I think it's something like we have to go 8-0 or 7-1 and hope no one else goes better than 5-3 or 4-4
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#2349 » by Crives » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:48 pm

I still think the most important question for this offseason is how do we get a third playmaking guard off the bench.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#2350 » by Wilber85 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Crives wrote:I still think the most important question for this offseason is how do we get a third playmaking guard off the bench.

Pray we win the lottery and Lamelo! Let's give him full reign of 2nd team
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#2351 » by King4Day » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:29 am

Saberestar wrote:

Surprised no Booker in that video (practicing/interviewing).
At the end when they say 2 Suns players have it, maybe he did have it at the time of filming.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#2352 » by Saberestar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Read on Twitter

We just have today to sign a FA.

We have a couple of roster spots available, it would be smart to sign at least one more perimeter player.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#2353 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

We have a couple of roster spots available, it would be smart to sign at least one more perimeter player.

The FO really needs to start being aggressive about finding quality end-of-bench players. We're so bloody thin. I was going back over some of our pre-SSOL rosters and one thing that really stuck out about our good teams was our depth. The teams that surprised to the upside this year were the ones that were able to turn nobodies into rotation players (MIA, TOR). Use this time as an audition, and why not build some goodwill with players and agents, too? Work hard and grab a guy!!!

If Cam goes down or Mikal gets Covid, we'll be running Jerome or Lecque at the 3. As much as I don't like Jerome or Lecque (or Jevon) backing up Devin, I sure as hell don't want them backing up Mikal. So go get a 3, or a 2 and a 3.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,093

Post#2354 » by Frank Lee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Its par for the course for fans around here to spring little woodies over the waiver wire. I enjoy the clamor for these 11-12-13 slot players, but those arent the spots that win you anything. Good teams have a solid 6-7 guys sprinkled around a couple studs. The rest is your practice team who get rewarded with blow out minutes. Sure, stash a rook down at the end, and hope in a year or two they can move up the food chain...or may be a cagey old vet happy to enjoy the pay check and the day to day NBA-ing. But the perpetual salivation over these discards becomes head shaking comical at times.
What ? Me Worry ?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#2355 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Its par for the course for fans around here to spring little woodies over the waiver wire. I enjoy the clamor for these 11-12-13 slot players, but those arent the spots that win you anything. Good teams have a solid 6-7 guys sprinkled around a couple studs. The rest is your practice team who get rewarded with blow out minutes. Sure, stash a rook down at the end, and hope in a year or two they can move up the food chain...or may be a cagey old vet happy to enjoy the pay check and the day to day NBA-ing. But the perpetual salivation over these discards becomes head shaking comical at times.

I really don't think this attitude is justified. Sure, we've blown some second round picks, but we pulled a couple players out of the G League during McD's era who are rotation players on playoff teams today in House and Jones, Jr. Hell, Big Sauce got a big, juicy contract from Brooklyn before health concerns pushed him outta the league. Not too long ago, we snatched PJ Tucker from overseas.

Bottom line: Good teams turn unwanted free agents into serviceable players. Small positives add up. Our chronic failure to find deep value has been a major contributing factor to our perpetual suckage.

EDIT: I mean, what would you trade for a package of Nunn, Duncan Robinson and Derrick Jones Jr.? I mean, I really like Mikal Bridges and Cam, but I'd totally give up at least one of those guys. Pretty sure MIA would ask for both or more likely, just tell us to **** off! :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2356 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

The FO really needs to start being aggressive about finding quality end-of-bench players. We're so bloody thin. I was going back over some of our pre-SSOL rosters and one thing that really stuck out about our good teams was our depth. The teams that surprised to the upside this year were the ones that were able to turn nobodies into rotation players (MIA, TOR). Use this time as an audition, and why not build some goodwill with players and agents, too? Work hard and grab a guy!!!

If Cam goes down or Mikal gets Covid, we'll be running Jerome or Lecque at the 3. As much as I don't like Jerome or Lecque (or Jevon) backing up Devin, I sure as hell don't want them backing up Mikal. So go get a 3, or a 2 and a 3.

I was going back over some of our pre-SSOL rosters and one thing that really stuck out about our good teams was our depth.

This +10000000

This has been my overall focal point or main point of interest for awhile now with respect to the draft, As well as players from the G league/ undrafted pool. Players that I have even mentioned in previous posts that have really good shooting metrics, and other complimentary skills that could help bolster our bench, And at a very low cost too! As going forward for the relative future, We need to be really conscientious of our cap flexibility. Not only due to possible cap restrictions and reductions resulting from the Coronavirus, etc. But also with regards to Oubres' free agency market value, AND our core extensions of both Ayton and Bridges. We have multiple critical roster considerations that will be heavily tied to our ability to properly manage our cap space.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2310167/will-suns-make-moves-as-nba-transaction-window-opens/

Again, Even aside from considering Gerald Green or Alonzo Trier, There are a number of really solid G league players that could be considered at a minimal cost. Just these 3 players that I have mentioned previously have very good stats and metrics. And also have ideal complimentary skillsets that can really benefit our team:

DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell

Hat-tip to Pelton for pointing out this guy: Akoon-Purcell is a wiry, bouncy wing who can take it off the dribble or spot up in catch-and-shoot situations similarly to Oubre. He was a 49.3% shooting with 39.2% accuracy from three-point land for the Oklahoma City Blue this year and played in seven games on a two-way deal with the Denver Nuggets.

In-house two-way options

Trayvon Palmer

Palmer has the best plus-minus on the Northern Arizona Suns and was a regular starter alongside a frontcourt of Owens and Epps. A 6-foot-6 wing, Palmer shot 48.4% from the field and 38% from three. He averaged 8.6 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.

Aaron Epps

The most logical choice out of the Suns’ G League team in Prescott Valley, Epps knows the system and played often alongside fellow big man Owens. At 6-foot-10, he’s a stretch power forward with a quick trigger and 39.7% accuracy from range. Epps averaged 10.2 points and 6.5 rebounds per game as well.

I completely agree that we should be using these 8 games to further develop our younger players, BUT ALSO explore two way/ undrafted players that may be hidden gems for us! Seriously though, Check these players out and tell me they wouldn't be really exciting prospects for our bench team.

*** Also check out Derrick Alston Jr.
https://broncosports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/derrick-alston-jr-/7053 as a really late 2nd round option for a two way contract. I mean he's a 6'10 guard/ wing with close to 40% three point shooting. And is a very fluid and versatile wing with ELITE ballhandling skills. He's the type of undiscovered elite talent that you're talking about for our bench depth. :D
Walt_Uoob
Senior
And1: 403

Post#2357 » by Walt_Uoob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 pm

My only pushback on going out to find bench depth right now is the totally unprecedented context we're in with Covid and the "bubble." It's one thing to go to Orlando to finish what you started with the people you've been playing with/for all year, but it might feel very different if management is also bringing in mercenaries you don't know/trust. Jones and Williams would need to be very very confident in the cultural fit of anyone they bring in, or it just might not be worth it.

As a much lower-stakes example, my softball team is debating right now whether to play in the upcoming season that has recently been announced. And at least for me, I'm way more interested if it's the guys I really know than if it's a rotating cast of subs filling out the roster each week.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#2358 » by Saberestar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2359 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:04 am

Walt_Uoob wrote:My only pushback on going out to find bench depth right now is the totally unprecedented context we're in with Covid and the "bubble." It's one thing to go to Orlando to finish what you started with the people you've been playing with/for all year, but it might feel very different if management is also bringing in mercenaries you don't know/trust. Jones and Williams would need to be very very confident in the cultural fit of anyone they bring in, or it just might not be worth it.

As a much lower-stakes example, my softball team is debating right now whether to play in the upcoming season that has recently been announced. And at least for me, I'm way more interested if it's the guys I really know than if it's a rotating cast of subs filling out the roster each week.

Sure, That's a consideration of course. :wink:

But I'd still have to respectfully disagree that it's only more or less 8 meaningless games that ( in our case exclusively) will used primarily towards the further development of our bench players, Rookies and 2nd year players and the for the purpose of getting a better perspective on players (*outside of our core anyways) that we'll be needing to make contractual decisions on this offseason. So exploring the potential of maybe 1-2 (at best) "end of the bench players" would have an overall minimal negative impact on our teams' culture in 8 games, As they'd likely be playing sporadic minutes at best in those few games. However, Should they display the ability/ skillset to add a solid contribution to our already thin bench and/or impact the games with their respective abilities, Then their discovery ( at a minimal contractual cost) should be considered a big success for us.

Again, these players would be playing in only a small range of games, In what would be widely considered to be comparable to preseason games/ or a summer league, And most all teams take on exploratory prospects with potential to their training camps for a similar purpose anyways. So for my part, I just see these games opportunity to not only foster further advancement and progression in our young players, But also a unique opportunity to discover high potential contributors, and even some potential elite yet undiscovered talents on what would be a minimal cost two way contract.

So ultimately, I would argue that this is a uniquely beneficial low risk/ high reward opportunity for us to not only have our young players progress further But to also potentially find very affordable talented contributors that have as of yet gone undiscovered by other teams. And this exploratory run of games, being outside of the confines of the regular season, Should carry no longterm impact to our teams' culture. So as long as the players follow the NBA's procedural guidelines, I see no real risk/ or detriment. :dontknow:
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#2360 » by King4Day » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:24 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

The main thing I remember about him was that teams felt he wasn't an NBA caliber player.
I guess we wanted someone with a little experience. This way we can just see what he has for 8 games and cut him if there's no sign of him being a guy who would help next season. If he's good, it's likely the vet min so not like we're paying him much.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley

Return to Phoenix Suns