ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,248

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#241 » by twix2500 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:25 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:Just went back and watched a bunch of film today -

We're in a great spot because we have young talent, but I think we have 3 serious needs on the horizon -

1. A backup PG (assuming we either don't resign Goran or only sign him to a 1 year deal, we have a history when we have big money teams of getting young cheap PGs - Alston, Chalmers, Cole, Napier, Nunn and Im surely missing some)

2. A complimentary big to Bam - If we are getting Giannis/AD or a big fish, this may not be as big of a need. If we are getting Beal/Dipo, this is VITAL in our serious contention. Meyers and Kelly are not going to cut it when things get serious. We seriously need to upgrade here.

3. 3&D Wings - Crazy to think that with the team we had this year but there is a chance we lose Crowder, Iggy, and DJJ. even if we lose 2 out of 3 and KZ steps up a bit, I think you still need another guy.

here are my current top 10 rankings for us (players in our range) on 6/21 with now 4 months till the draft -

1. Nico Mannion, PG, Arizona
2. Jalen Smith, F/C, Maryland
3. Kira Lewis, PG, Alabama
4. Jahmi'us Ramsey, PG, Texas Tech
5. Vernon Carey, F/C, Duke
6. Cassius Winston, PG, Michigan State
7. Saddiq Bey, F, Villanova
8. Grant Riller, PG, Charleston
9. Patrick Williams, F, Florida State
10. Aleksej Pokusevski, F/C, Serbia

What were you thoughts on Riller?
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#242 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:06 am

twix2500 wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:Just went back and watched a bunch of film today -

We're in a great spot because we have young talent, but I think we have 3 serious needs on the horizon -

1. A backup PG (assuming we either don't resign Goran or only sign him to a 1 year deal, we have a history when we have big money teams of getting young cheap PGs - Alston, Chalmers, Cole, Napier, Nunn and Im surely missing some)

2. A complimentary big to Bam - If we are getting Giannis/AD or a big fish, this may not be as big of a need. If we are getting Beal/Dipo, this is VITAL in our serious contention. Meyers and Kelly are not going to cut it when things get serious. We seriously need to upgrade here.

3. 3&D Wings - Crazy to think that with the team we had this year but there is a chance we lose Crowder, Iggy, and DJJ. even if we lose 2 out of 3 and KZ steps up a bit, I think you still need another guy.

here are my current top 10 rankings for us (players in our range) on 6/21 with now 4 months till the draft -

1. Nico Mannion, PG, Arizona
2. Jalen Smith, F/C, Maryland
3. Kira Lewis, PG, Alabama
4. Jahmi'us Ramsey, PG, Texas Tech
5. Vernon Carey, F/C, Duke
6. Cassius Winston, PG, Michigan State
7. Saddiq Bey, F, Villanova
8. Grant Riller, PG, Charleston
9. Patrick Williams, F, Florida State
10. Aleksej Pokusevski, F/C, Serbia

What were you thoughts on Riller?

I like him a lot. I saw him during the season against UCF (watching film reminded me). He gives me serious FVV vibes but I think that may just be looks.

With that being said, I think that Mannion, Lewis, Ramsey and Winston are all better than him in our range.

Ramsey and Winston are better shooters (Ramsey's 42% from 3 is wild - I wonder if that is translatable because he does have a slightly funky form but if he can play that off ball PG roll for us I think he is a good offensive fit).

Mannion seems to have more of an "NBA game" and would become a fan favorite. I could see him moving below Kira Lewis for me because I think Mannion would be redundant with Herro (even though they are a 1 and 2) and while Herro is not a bad defender, the 2 of them could be a disaster against big lineups. Mannion is 1 for the simple fact that, like Herro, he is a walking bucket.

Kira Lewis though - WOW. That kid jumped off the page for me. I fully expect myself to move him to #1 on my board at some point. I just fall in love with that kid when I watch them. 2 big games stuck out to me - vs Anthony Edwards with both teams struggling (Kira had 37 and 7) and then against #4 Auburn where he takes over. He is lightning fast, plays D, has a pretty stroke that can improve, and controls the game. I can't help but think if we had a predraft process he would be such a hot name. Reminds me of a slightly less bouncy Ja/Fox or even a smaller more athletic SGA. He's the guy we should be looking at if PG is the option.

This draft has a TON of backup PG options. So while I do like Riller, he gets lost in the pack for me.
Read on Twitter
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,935

Post#243 » by Wiltside » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:11 am

I'm warming to the idea of Mannion. Has a nice skillset and feel for the game.

I just don't see him being a 'Heat guy'. We like size, positional versatility and off-ball ability, particularly as we run Jimmy at the 1 majority of the time. Defensive acumen would also be a plus.

The other side of the coin is that Goran isn't getting any younger. While I think Gogi will be with us for a little while longer, Mannion could be a nice backup option to learn the ropes behind Goran as the 3rd stringer and then look to impact in a year or two.

It's hard to know what we will prioritize at the draft in comparison to what we will try get in free agency. For me, legitimate stretch bigs or 3&D wings would trump our need at the PG/SG slot, where I feel we're pretty deep.

Someone like Jalen Smith gives us a nice piece to work with, and has an identifiable role to fill in the event we lose either Leonard or Olynyk in the next 12 months. He's a Myles Turner lite.

Likewise Saddiq Bey would be able to fill the Crowder/Iggy role. Crowder if he departs as a FA, Iggy if he is traded/regresses significantly.

I feel like Okpala will play mostly at the 4 spot, similar to how we have run DJJ (who I assume will get offered a relatively solid deal this offseason we will have trouble matching, given our wish for financial flexibility in 2021).
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#244 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Mannion - Bad shooter
Jalen Smith - Gone before we pick
Kira Lewis - Gone before we pick
Ramsey - Bad shooter
Carey - We don't need Okafor 2.0
Cassius Winston - Low upside and floor
Saddiq Bey - Gone before we pick
Grant Riller - Good pick
Patrick Williams - Good pick
Aleksej Pokusevski - Good pick but probably won't be there when we pick
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#245 » by HeatIn5 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:06 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:Ramsey - Bad shooter

I'll respect your opinion with everything else - but can you elaborate here? He shot 42% from 3 on 5 attempts a game.

Also, weird that you call Riller a good pick but then Mannion a bad shooter. Rillers freshman year wasnt much better, and Mannion is over 4 years younger.

Read on Twitter
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#246 » by HeatIn5 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#247 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:08 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:

I'll respect your opinion with everything else - but can you elaborate here? He shot 42% from 3 on 5 attempts a game.

Also, weird that you call Riller a good pick but then Mannion a bad shooter. Rillers freshman year wasnt much better, and Mannion is over 4 years younger.

Subpar finisher at the rim and bad FT shooter.

Riller's freshman year was much better than Mannion's. Mannion is a terrible finisher at the rim and not very athletic. Get me Tyler Bey over Mannion since Bey is a safer pick.
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#248 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:13 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:

Subpar finisher at the rim and bad FT shooter.

Riller's freshman year was much better than Mannion's. Mannion is a terrible finisher at the rim and not very athletic. Get me Tyler Bey over Mannion since Bey is a safer pick.

Yea I watched a lot more of Bey yesterday, I really like him. He is listed at 6'8 but looks closer to 6'6. Reminds me some of Dillon Brooks.

He could fit that Crowder role perfectly.

Read on Twitter
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,935

Post#249 » by Wiltside » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:29 am

I could talk myself into Tyler Bey. Nice all round skillset, looks like he knows how to play - particularly defensively.

Would like to see a little more range before I feel totally comfortable, but as a ready to go player, he'd be a solid option.

One guy who may end up moving into 1st round calculations is Killian Tillie. Had a lot of injury issues at Gonzaga, and is one of the older players in the draft pool, but there just aren't many guys 6'10" who can shoot the rock like him. Feel like he's one of those guys who will blitz individual workouts and shooting drills and move into late 1st calculations.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Rafly
Starter
And1: 10,501

Post#250 » by Rafly » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:17 am

I’m starting to talk myself into Tyrell Terry. Dudes a bucket and doesn’t really need the ball in his hands. Concerns about his size on Defense. But I think he could really work out.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#251 » by BFRESH44 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 pm

Give me the best shooter you can find where ever the pick lands. Position doesn't matter.
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#252 » by HeatIn5 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Oh damn, I was talking about Saddiq Bey - not Tyler.

Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,960

Post#253 » by DayofMourning » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:38 pm

HerroBalls wrote:Oh damn, I was talking about Saddiq Bey - not Tyler.

Sad Bey does look a bit shorter than projections. Quality role player in my book.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#254 » by gom » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:23 pm

I like Tyler Bey, even though he is an older player, but Vernon Carey Jr, I choose you. Good center prospect. Strong off & def. Shoots well from range too. Bam can play PF. It would be even better if we can trade #23 a later first and a SRP and pick up Immanuel Quickley to add some shooting. We can always buy into the second round though.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
gom

Post#255 » by gom » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:25 pm

Wiltside wrote:I could talk myself into Tyler Bey. Nice all round skillset, looks like he knows how to play - particularly defensively.

Would like to see a little more range before I feel totally comfortable, but as a ready to go player, he'd be a solid option.

One guy who may end up moving into 1st round calculations is Killian Tillie. Had a lot of injury issues at Gonzaga, and is one of the older players in the draft pool, but there just aren't many guys 6'10" who can shoot the rock like him. Feel like he's one of those guys who will blitz individual workouts and shooting drills and move into late 1st calculations.

He's an especially good choice for the Blazers. He played with Zach Collins.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#256 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:41 am

gom wrote:I like Tyler Bey, even though he is an older player, but Vernon Carey Jr, I choose you. Good center prospect. Strong off & def. Shoots well from range too. Bam can play PF. It would be even better if we can trade #23 a later first and a SRP and pick up Immanuel Quickley to add some shooting. We can always buy into the second round though.

Going full blue blood, eh? Wouldn't be against it. Carey is going to be drafted too low for his production due to the stigma he carries as an old school big man.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,486

Post#257 » by Bishop45 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 pm

Glad to see some of y'all on the Tyrell Terry/Kira Lewis train

Wouldn't mind Mannion if we're without good options but I favor Josh Green/Cassius Stanley over him for 2-way potential
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#258 » by HeatIn5 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
gom wrote:I like Tyler Bey, even though he is an older player, but Vernon Carey Jr, I choose you. Good center prospect. Strong off & def. Shoots well from range too. Bam can play PF. It would be even better if we can trade #23 a later first and a SRP and pick up Immanuel Quickley to add some shooting. We can always buy into the second round though.

Going full blue blood, eh? Wouldn't be against it. Carey is going to be drafted too low for his production due to the stigma he carries as an old school big man.

Ive known the kid since he was about 5-6 years old and the craziest thing for me watching him grow is how people think he is so much of an "old school big man".

His sophomore year of HS he played with Balsa (now at FSU) and Vernon did everything on the perimeter since Balsa was a 7 footer. In his junior year he was more of a Bosh type spot up shooter early - and he moved more inside that year and going into his senior year as the fit was better next to Scottie Barnes who was more perimeter oriented.

Then in college he played next to Hurt who was next to him and more of a shooter, so again he had to be the muscle inside.

Vern is your typical 4/5 . I dont know if he can cover really quick 4s, or if he can cover really strong 5s. That's my biggest concern about him. But knowing that family the way I do he will do whatever it takes to make it in the league. I know that for a fact which puts him over a lot of guys for me personally.

Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#259 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Great stuff HB. He was top ranked coming into college and somehow fell in some people's opinions in a draft where he really shouldn't have. Weird. If we get him then I'm confident we got a quality player.
gom

Post#260 » by gom » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 pm

Vernon Carey Jr (Jersey #1 on Duke) is unforgiving around the basket, scoring and getting blocks. He also plays the passing lane and anticipates passes. Check out the slick passes at 5:40 and 8:10.

Also, Immanuel Quickley (#5 on Kentucky) can shoot and score:

Return to Miami Heat