If the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal had went through.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

AMW27
Pro Prospect
And1: 243

If the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal had went through. 

Post#1 » by AMW27 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:08 am

If the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal wasn't blocked by the league, do you think the Lakers would have won a title?
I think Lakers were going to have to give up Gasol in that deal if it went through.
You had the Thunder and the Spurs that they would've had to deal with going forward. Do you think they would have been able to get by those teams?
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Re: If the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal had went through. 

Post#2 » by jimmy keys » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:09 am

Laker fans would be even more entitled.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,398

Post#3 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 am

I don't think so. Spurs/Thunder still better.
Middle Child
Pro Prospect
And1: 811

Post#4 » by Middle Child » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:41 am

Kobe and CP3 would have been amazing together.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#5 » by Metallikid » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:48 am

Kobe ties Jordan for sure. The Lakers would have shed a tonne of long term salary and would have had enough cap room to sign another close to max player or two almost all-star tier players. They still had Bynum, and they would have never gone down the Steve Nash road.
Jayt99
Rookie
And1: 1,552

Post#6 » by Jayt99 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:52 am

During that time CP3’s impact is through the roof. Let’s not forget the year OKC went to the finals they beat the lakers in 5 but a few of those games were extremely close. I could definitely see them winning that series. Kobe owned the spurs in the playoffs so I think they’d have beaten them too. Miami still hadn’t figure out how to win and I think some of Lakers experience plus Paul would’ve put them over the top.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,870

Post#7 » by Hoopstar23 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:00 am

had that deal went through... they would save tons of money in the deal...I think Okafor who was on the Hornets at the time was in the deal and I think his contract was non guarenteed or something... correct me if I am wrong.... giving them money to sign other role players particularly wing players and still would of went after Dwight and get him too...Kobe would tie Jordan and have a real shot to get 7....
Air Apparent
Rookie
And1: 1,239

Post#8 » by Air Apparent » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:05 am

they absolutely would've won the title
basketball is a team sport
ADMVP
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#9 » by ADMVP » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:38 am

God bless David Stern

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
lakers2020
Senior
And1: 513

Post#10 » by lakers2020 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:12 am

Kobe still might be playing...
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#11 » by BallerTalk » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:26 am

Lakers fans every time the CP3 trade is brought up:

then...

:lol:
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#12 » by illuminati666 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:41 am

I genuinely believe it would've been a dissapointing team that first season. Losing Odom and Gasol is huge, the team would've really fallen off after those two. Bynum was decent but not the third star you need, and if they couldn't make that Dwight trade, he would've been done in a couple seasons. Maybe if they were able to add a couple pieces the could've been contenders the following year but that first year... late playoff team out in first round.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#13 » by jason bourne » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 am

AMW27 wrote:If the Chris Paul to the Lakers deal wasn't blocked by the league, do you think the Lakers would have won a title?
I think Lakers were going to have to give up Gasol in that deal if it went through.
You had the Thunder and the Spurs that they would've had to deal with going forward. Do you think they would have been able to get by those teams?

IIRC, it was Cavs owner Dan Gilbert who led the owners to veto the deal. What a crumb.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,096

Post#14 » by JB2 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:28 am

illuminati666 wrote:I genuinely believe it would've been a dissapointing team that first season. Losing Odom and Gasol is huge, the team would've really fallen off after those two. Bynum was decent but not the third star you need, and if they couldn't make that Dwight trade, he would've been done in a couple seasons. Maybe if they were able to add a couple pieces the could've been contenders the following year but that first year... late playoff team out in first round.

The Dwight trade still would have happened. Assuming guys like Artest, Jamison, Blake, and Barnes were all still Lakers (one way or another)

Dwight
Jamison
Artest, Barnes
Kobe
CP3, Blake

That team was winning at least 1 ring, Dwight probably never leaves as CP and him dominate in the PnR. Kobe gets to save energy and his body.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#15 » by yitur » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:39 am

JB2 wrote:
illuminati666 wrote:I genuinely believe it would've been a dissapointing team that first season. Losing Odom and Gasol is huge, the team would've really fallen off after those two. Bynum was decent but not the third star you need, and if they couldn't make that Dwight trade, he would've been done in a couple seasons. Maybe if they were able to add a couple pieces the could've been contenders the following year but that first year... late playoff team out in first round.

The Dwight trade still would have happened. Assuming guys like Artest, Jamison, Blake, and Barnes were all still Lakers (one way or another)

Dwight
Jamison
Artest, Barnes
Kobe
CP3, Blake

That team was winning at least 1 ring, Dwight probably never leaves as CP and him dominate in the PnR. Kobe gets to save energy and his body.

Antawn wasn't with the team in 11-12. But Lakers would've gotten maybe some players for title chasing. Don't remember how deep that FA class was with roleplayers.

Dwight got injured in 2012 but his workload would be much less with Kobe and CP3 next to him so maybe that situation played out much differently. We will never know:/
Hook_Em
Rookie
And1: 753

Post#16 » by Hook_Em » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:40 am

The Thunder and Spurs would still be better and there’d be chemistry problems with younger Dwight.
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#17 » by durka » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:25 am

yitur wrote:
JB2 wrote:

Dwight
Jamison
Artest, Barnes
Kobe
CP3, Blake

Antawn wasn't with the team in 11-12. But Lakers would've gotten maybe some players for title chasing. Don't remember how deep that FA class was with roleplayers.

Dwight got injured in 2012 but his workload would be much less with Kobe and CP3 next to him so maybe that situation played out much differently. We will never know:/

Dwight had issue enough dealing with how demanding Kobe was. CP is cut from the same cloth. Playing with 2 guys like that would probably have made the issues even worse.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#18 » by yitur » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:44 am

durka wrote:
yitur wrote:
JB2 wrote:

Dwight
Jamison
Artest, Barnes
Kobe
CP3, Blake

Dwight had issue enough dealing with how demanding Kobe was. CP is cut from the same cloth. Playing with 2 guys like that would probably have made the issues even worse.

Probably, but him not handling it was probably linked with him being not %100 percent to play but still did. He was much better after the All-Star break and he looked more like his Magic self. One of the main theme of team sports is that winning cures everything. If that team didn't struggle like they did, Howard-Kobe relationship would've gone much different. Or if Howard was the third option.
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#19 » by durka » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:02 am

yitur wrote:
durka wrote:
yitur wrote:

Probably, but him not handling it was probably linked with him being not %100 percent to play but still did. He was much better after the All-Star break and he looked more like his Magic self. One of the main theme of team sports is that winning cures everything. If that team didn't struggle like they did, Howard-Kobe relationship would've gone much different. Or if Howard was the third option.

Howard was at the peak of his popularity at that point, was the consensus best C in the league and had an ego. He was in a contract year and definitely wouldnt have been happy being the 3rd option on that team. One of the issues he had in his numerous stops after LA was that he wanted to get fed in post up situations instead of being a PnR decoy. In an ideal world he would play that role on that team, but given the variables and how things went with Kobe alone I just dont think would have been helped by adding another abrasive, ball dominant player.

I do think this move wouldve helped elongate Kobes career though. With all of Nashs and Howard's injuries that year he had to carry a heavy load, which led to his achilles injury. Even if that first year didnt work with Dwight, they would have been able to find a 3rd guy who fit better with those 2 guys. Even if they didnt add a star, they could have added depth peices and Dantoni could have ran a similar offense to his CP-Harden teams and it would probably have resulted in some serious success.
illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#20 » by illuminati666 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:44 am

durka wrote:
yitur wrote:
JB2 wrote:

Dwight
Jamison
Artest, Barnes
Kobe
CP3, Blake

Ya no, Dwight would've left them so quick. But who knows maybe they don't struggle as much early and rush Dwight back. Less injured = better play = happy Kobe = happy everyone else

Return to The General Board