Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Re: Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread 

Post#221 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:52 am

getrichordie wrote:Please do tell what PG said when he "resigned."

I can't find the exact quote right now, but it was something to the effect that Russ and he did what they wanted. Donovan didn't have any control and he liked being able to do what he wanted and didn't like having a coach like he did in Indy. It didn't take him long to realize coaching mattered as the next off-season he was demanding to go play for Doc.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#222 » by getrichordie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:19 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Please do tell what PG said when he "resigned."

I can't find the exact quote right now, but it was something to the effect that Russ and he did what they wanted. Donovan didn't have any control and he liked being able to do what he wanted and didn't like having a coach like he did in Indy. It didn't take him long to realize coaching mattered as the next off-season he was demanding to go play for Doc.

So, you took positive sentiment towards Donovan coming from George's mouth, and have somehow made it fit your narrative that Donovan is a bad coach? That's what it is sounds like anyways.

You realize that George had always wanted to go to L.A., right? Even prior to his time in OKC.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#223 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:22 am

I've never had a boss that considered it a positive sentiment when I called them illiterate, ignorant or unable to understand the concept. I suppose it is possible that Donovan is so inept that PG could have been pointing his positive trait of sitting down and shutting up while his players did what they wanted.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#224 » by getrichordie » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:I've never had a boss that considered it a positive sentiment when I called them illiterate, ignorant or unable to understand the concept. I suppose it is possible that Donovan is so inept that PG could have been pointing his positive trait of sitting down and shutting up while his players did what they wanted.

What a massive stretch. You can't even find the quote :lol:
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,212

Post#225 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:55 pm

I didn't get a chance to see the game but Harry Giles continues to produce when given minutes. Mostl points were scored around the basket but he appeared to run the floor well and even hit a couple of nice jumpers.
https://go.nba.com/on8qn
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#226 » by thor19 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:39 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I didn't get a chance to see the game but Harry Giles continues to produce when given minutes. Mostl points were scored around the basket but he appeared to run the floor well and even hit a couple of nice jumpers.

Giles would be nice, we can lose Gallo and Noel this season, Guys like Giles, Hernagomez I think we can sign them for cheap, maybe make a small trade for Knox , (ferguson and second for him ?) Or draft a sf/pf
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:28 am

thor19 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I didn't get a chance to see the game but Harry Giles continues to produce when given minutes. Mostl points were scored around the basket but he appeared to run the floor well and even hit a couple of nice jumpers.

Giles would be nice, we can lose Gallo and Noel this season, Guys like Giles, Hernagomez I think we can sign them for cheap, maybe make a small trade for Knox , (ferguson and second for him ?) Or draft a sf/pf

Knox is a guy that doesn’t really interest me.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Aug 8, 2020 9:48 pm

Jamal Murray.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 am

How long until De’arron Fox demands a trade?
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#230 » by thor19 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:44 am

Would you give 5 first round pick, dennis, sign and trade Gallo and Nader or filler to suns for devin Booker ?
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#231 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:07 am

thor19 wrote:Would you give 5 first round pick, dennis, sign and trade Gallo and Nader or filler to suns for devin Booker ?

no
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#232 » by Balkman32 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:43 pm

getrichordie wrote:
thor19 wrote:Would you give 5 first round pick, dennis, sign and trade Gallo and Nader or filler to suns for devin Booker ?

no

I believe the answer is yes. Booker is a top talent. Schröder is in the last year of his deal and Gallo (FA) and Nader Plus these 5 below picks is a fine deal for OKC.

2020 Denver’s
2022 Clippers
2024 Clippers
2024 Rockets top 4 protected
2026 Rockets top 4 protected

But this makes no sense for the Suns. They are going to build around Ayton & Booker
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#233 » by Balkman32 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:45 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:How long until De’arron Fox demandsa trade?

They usually wait until they are into their 2nd contract. I think the Thunder are more interested in drafting young talent rather then trade for a top 50 player.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#234 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:00 pm

Balkman32 wrote:

They usually wait until they are into their 2nd contract. I think the Thunder are more interested in drafting young talent rather then trade for a top 50 player.

I think the moves this year or lack thereof, have shown drafting and accumulating assets isn’t as much of a priority as many of us thought it was at this time last year. We didn’t trade anyone at the deadline and squandered our pick this year. I’m not sure how we plan to acquire that kind of talent any time soon unless we trade for it.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#235 » by getrichordie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:23 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

I think the moves this year or lack thereof, have shown drafting and accumulating assets isn’t as much of a priority as many of us thought it was at this time last year. We didn’t trade anyone at the deadline and squandered our pick this year. I’m not sure how we plan to acquire that kind of talent any time soon unless we trade for it.

To be fair, I think Presti was seeking good value in trades but couldn't find any appealing enough. I think this offseason and next season's trade deadline is where you will see a lot of activity.

Schroder looks more valuable to contenders on an expiring prove-it deal. If he proves his worth, they can re-up him. If he doesn't, they let him walk.

Adams is also more valuable as an expiring deal. We can take on an unwanted contract or two for picks/prospects.

Paul's contract is much more palatable at the deadline as opposed to trying to trade a 3 year deal this offseason.

We tried to trade Gallinari, but they couldn't come to a contract that Gallinari was comfortable with. Attempting to trade Gallinari is the biggest indicator of what Presti wants to do, IMO. A potential S&T to bring back additional value could very well be the impetus for restricting Gallinari's minutes as Presti strikes me as the kind of guy to micro-manage and squeeze as much value as possible out of these kinds of opportunities.

Only time will tell, though.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#236 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:52 pm

getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

To be fair, I think Presti was seeking good value in trades but couldn't find any appealing enough. I think this offseason and next season's trade deadline is where you will see a lot of activity.

Schroder looks more valuable to contenders on an expiring prove-it deal. If he proves his worth, they can re-up him. If he doesn't, they let him walk.

Adams is also more valuable as an expiring deal. We can take on an unwanted contract or two for picks/prospects.

Paul's contract is much more palatable at the deadline as opposed to trying to trade a 3 year deal this offseason.

We tried to trade Gallinari, but they couldn't come to a contract that Gallinari was comfortable with. Attempting to trade Gallinari is the biggest indicator of what Presti wants to do, IMO. A potential S&T to bring back additional value could very well be the impetus for restricting Gallinari's minutes as Presti strikes me as the kind of guy to micro-manage and squeeze as much value as possible out of these kinds of opportunities.

I agree and disagree. Those are some valid reasons but we also have to remember that the players with extenuating circumstances that prevented trades are all players he traded for or drafted. So if he’s unable to move schroder, then maybe he shouldn’t have traded for him. If schroder was the best he could get for Carmelo, maybe she shouldn’t have traded Kanter for Melo...or Jackson or Kanter. If Chris Paul is impossible to trade, then maybe presti should have sent Russ to Miami. Adams contract has been questionable at best since day one. Ultimately, he is responsible for all moves that occur or can’t be completed because of not finding a trade partner.

I don’t think it’s too late to rectify some of the issues I stated but time is limited, especially if we are going to build along shai’s. Things can change quickly but I think that this offseason is going to be slow as a result of teams being financially conservative. That wouldn’t play in our favor. I hope I’m wrong.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#237 » by getrichordie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:55 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I think the moves this year or lack thereof, have shown drafting and accumulating assets isn’t as much of a priority as many of us thought it was at this time last year. We didn’t trade anyone at the deadline and squandered our pick this year. I’m not sure how we plan to acquire that kind of talent any time soon unless we trade for it.

I agree and disagree. Those are some valid reasons but we also have to remember that the players with extenuating circumstances that prevented trades are all players he traded for or drafted. So if he’s unable to move schroder, then maybe he shouldn’t have traded for him. If schroder was the best he could get for Carmelo, maybe she shouldn’t have traded Kanter for Melo...or Jackson or Kanter. If Chris Paul is impossible to trade, then maybe presti should have sent Russ to Miami. Adams contract has been questionable at best since day one. Ultimately, he is responsible for all moves that occur or can’t be completed because of not finding a trade partner.

I don’t think it’s too late to rectify some of the issues I stated but time is limited, especially if we are going to build along shai’s. Things can change quickly but I think that this offseason is going to be slow as a result of teams being financially conservative. That wouldn’t play in our favor. I hope I’m wrong.

To be clear, I don't think he wanted to trade Schroder this season. He actively went out a got Muscala, who is Schroeder's best friend. I'm not sure he even trades Schroder. He could end up keeping him.

Generally, I wasn't trying to say he was looking to trade all of the aforementioned. I do think he tried to find a home for Paul but to no avail. Some years it's just hard to find a trade that works for all parties.

Speaking of the Gallinari/SGA+ for George trade, I don't think Presti went out and targeted Gallinari. George most likely requested a trade to LAC and out of the available players/packages, that probably made the most sense value wise. Keep in mind that Presti finds it important to try and meet a player's needs in trades, especially if they are notable players such as George.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#238 » by Balkman32 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:31 pm

I don't think the plan is to draft with these 15 picks. But, I think the goal is to get unprotected picks and hope we get a couple of top 5 picks out of it.

Presti never had multiple enticing FRP to throw around and get a guy. Cole Aldrich was the only guy they used 2 first round picks to acquire a guy in 2010 but that was just a trade up in the draft. They also send out FRP's for Kanter, Waiters, Grant & Schröder.

I think this team could come back next season to "run it back". CP3 has been a great influence on these guys and I for one think he is a guy I want around Baze and Shai rather than a FRP in 2025 plus salary filler.

Gallo is a guy I am willing to pay as he still has some good years left in the tank. Plus if it all falls apart who wouldn't want a PF that can stroke it from 3 at a 40% clip.

Schröder is the wild card here. He is in the last year of his deal and he has turned himself into a valuable asset. He turns 27 next month, the start of his new contract he will be 28 years old and eligible to sign a 5 year contract with the Thunder or a team that trades for him before his contract ends. Or will the Thunder sign him to a new deal? Does he want to start? What does he want in his next contract? Will be critical questions in what happens to him this off season.

I believe Adams is a guy the Thunder want to keep in the organization for his entire career. He already got his pay day and with the value of centers I would be hesitant to give him much more than $15 million a year, and even at that number it might be too high for the 10th best center in the league.

I say all that to say that CP3, Gallo, Schröder & Adams could all be in different uniforms next year with the team shifting to the tank. But, as Thunder fans know getting past the first round of the playoffs has been a brick wall. If this team can find a way to break through that wall, why not "bring it back". That Why Not will probably be more multiple unprotected FRP.

Enjoy the next couple of weeks guys. Finally the Thunder or Westbrook are getting out of the first round of the playoffs since 2016.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#239 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:31 am

Something I hadn’t considered is how this pandemic might alter presti’s plans. He’s clearly delayed committing to a full rebuild like he did when the team was in Seattle. I’ve heard it speculated that there is concern about how a tanking team would impact ticket sales in a small market. I’m reading tonight that silver wants to delay the start of the season to secure more fans in arenas. That sounds nice but may not be possible. I’m wondering if the fact that next year could be somewhat of a lost year for ticket sales for everyone maybe Sam won’t be scared to commit to a full rebuild.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#240 » by retrobro90 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:57 pm

This is such a blatantly obvious yes. No reason the suns would unless they're truly braindead.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder